Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine

[N1E]: 1.7 Update

We are currently rolling out NOOK 1st Edition v1.7 which includes the solution for the microSD issue that surfaced after v1.6 was released earlier this month.

You can also sideload v1.7 on to your device via this link:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook1-support-software-updates/379002707/

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

Has anybody received the download yet?  We still don't know what it is evidently, but just wondered if anything "bad" happened.

Contributor
Whtwolf
0 Kudos

Re: [NE1]: 1.7 Update

Just completed the download and upgrade and everything looks good now. Though I still wish they would let us know what was changed from 1.5.

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up - Chinese Proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I have one question, I never upgraded to 1.6 so my question do I need to 1.6 before getting 1.7?

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
SLevine
0 Kudos

Nope Shadowcat80, v1.7 includes the system changes from v1.6 + the microSD solution. You do not need to upgrade to v1.6 first.

keriflur
0 Kudos

SLevine wrote:

Nope Shadowcat80, v1.7 includes the system changes from v1.6 + the microSD solution. You do not need to upgrade to v1.6 first.

Could you please find out what these system changes were and share them with us?

Correspondent
tabascobaby
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey sam,

I tried to manually download the update to one of my nooks, I keep getting a message that says "invalid Update" I did everything according the directions (twice when the first one didn't work I tried again to be sure) and it just keeps coming up. Any advice?

[edited to say, redownloaded/saved the update, and tried again, It worked. 3rd times the charm.]

DCLOVELL
0 Kudos

I have side loaded mine.  Looks like it's installed and my Nook is restarting!

GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

SLevine wrote:

Could you please find out what these system changes were and share them with us?

Yes, please.  Do tell.  Even if the only thing that changed was some legal verbiage in the manual somewhere.  (but we all know something important changed; at least with SD cards)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

GetLostInABook wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Yes, please.  Do tell.  

Guys, we know she won't tell us.  She probably can't; not that she doesn't know, but she's probably not allowed.  Otherwise she would have already answered the question.

Badgering Sam isn't going to get us anywhere; if you really want answers you need to write to B&N Executives.  They're the only people who can fix it; ie... give the order to release the info.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:
Guys, we know she won't tell us.  She probably can't; not that she doesn't know, but she's probably not allowed.  Otherwise she would have already answered the question.

Badgering Sam isn't going to get us anywhere; if you really want answers you need to write to B&N Executives.  They're the only people who can fix it; ie... give the order to release the info.

Or you could start a private equity firm, take over the firm and all their secrets become yours.  Of course that is a lot of follow up investment just to find out what happened to your $100-$200 nook :smileyvery-happy:

keriflur
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:
Guys, we know she won't tell us.  She probably can't; not that she doesn't know, but she's probably not allowed.  Otherwise she would have already answered the question.

Or you could start a private equity firm, take over the firm and all their secrets become yours.  Of course that is a lot of follow up investment just to find out what happened to your $100-$200 nook :smileyvery-happy:

I have always wanted to own a major bookstore chain.... :smileywink:

keriflur

Honestly, I'd be happier if she's at least say "I can't tell you, I don't have permission to release that information."  IMO it's better to answer the question with honesty rather than to ignore it.  I know that's not the way B&N does things and I realize that Sam probably can't even say "I can't tell you" but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.  I don't blame Sam, I blame B&N.

I have no other device or application that updates without basic release notes.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Since I wasn't getting the update automatically and would like access to ny SD card back, I tried to sideload. I've never done anything like this and it appears I've done it wrong. 

Step 4 says, "Drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder."

I did this I think. I put it in the NOOK (E:smileyhappy: under "computer". Is this not the "main directory"? Or is it one of the folders listed under that? Because I did then eject both the NOOK and SD card drives and nothing happened. Even tried the check for new BN content.

LisaB

keriflur

What is the name of the downloaded file that you transferred?  Make sure it didn't download more than once and add (1) or (2) on the end.

SLevine
0 Kudos

Hi all- I'm copy/pasting a section of my 'New Community Manager' annoucement from a month ago as a refresher of the details of my role here. I hope this can help clarify my work here in the forums and help reshape your expectations for what I am here to do:

"My role here will be that of a ‘Community Manager’ and not a ‘Moderator’.  As you guys encounter technical problems, I’ll make sure to field them to CS and get you an answer as soon as I can.  If you guys want to suggest brand initiatives or future product features, I will be able to collect them and send them along to appropriate internal teams.  And most importantly, as you run into the occasional tiff (I have spent enough time reading hundreds of posts here to understand that this does happen :smileyhappy: ), I will be here to remind you of our Community Guidelines"…

"In short, I’m here to be the B&N representative that you guys have asked for.  Please understand that I may not be able to answer every question or reply to every post, but I will do my best to give you as much information as I can."

Hope this helps. As always, feel free to PM me with questions or concerns. Thanks. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Honestly, I'd be happier if she's at least say "I can't tell you, I don't have permission to release that information."  IMO it's better to answer the question with honesty rather than to ignore it.  I know that's not the way B&N does things and I realize that Sam probably can't even say "I can't tell you" but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.  I don't blame Sam, I blame B&N.

I have no other device or application that updates without basic release notes.

I don't disagree with any of this, but it's pretty clear that she answers what she can and "ignores" what she's not allowed to discuss.  (Ignore in quotes because I don't think it's ignoring if she is only not addressing something because she's not allowed.)

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

What is the name of the downloaded file that you transferred?  Make sure it didn't download more than once and add (1) or (2) on the end.

That did it, thanks! It had (1) at the end. 

Updating as I type. 

LisaB

Edit: NOOK has loaded the update, re-started and....checking for new items in "My Documents". Five minutes.... and Voila! Looks like all the contents of my SD card are back!

GetLostInABook

SLevine wrote:

<snip>

If you guys want to suggest brand initiatives or future product features, I will be able to collect them and send them along to appropriate internal teams.<snip>

Please pass up the ladder that we would very much like release notes on the current and on any future updates.

Please do not think that our (if I may speak for the others) frustration with the lack of information diminishes our appreciation of your presence here.  We know that you help when you can.

Contributor
BillSoCalif
0 Kudos

side loaded update worked for me.