Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

Hi Jadjuka-

(1) We do not expect future N1E firmware updates at this time.

(2) B&N will continue to support our entire family of NOOK products: see this thread for more information- http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-Future-Support-FAQs/m-p/1051098/m...

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Mine updated on it's own and I didn't even know there was an update.

Contributor
narret
0 Kudos

"What's new in V1.7?

Nook ver1.7 includes a minor system update.":smileyvery-happy:

.... and it fixed a very major problem. I downloaded this minor update and my N1 and 6g card are are both very happy now.

Correspondent
snowfireangel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am happy to report that although v1.7 did not automatically update on my N1E, when I sideloaded it last night, it has worked perfectly ever since.  No complaints from me :smileyhappy:

And I have a Sandisk 4gb microdisk with a bunch of books and music and all is well on that end, too.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

SLevine wrote:

Hi Jadjuka-

(1) We do not expect future N1E firmware updates at this time.

(2) B&N will continue to support our entire family of NOOK products: see this thread for more information- http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-Future-Support-FAQs/m-p/1051098/m...

Thanks for the link! Being a gamer I remember when you bought the game it meant it was complete and didn't need any fixing. Then with the launch of gamer stores and achievements, buying a game let me know it wasn't complete. It was half done, glitchy, and in need of patches. No more patches to me is a GOOD thing. It lets me know the device is complete and working right. (It always worked right and thankfully didn't have the problems most people had with 1.6.) But still, yay!

Also glad to see B&N will continue to support my device. I love it, I'm not ready to get rid of it or toss it aside for a new thing and I'd like to keep it going as long as I can. My device is the 3G-WiFi version and $260 isn't a small sum by any means. I'd like to see though the brick and mortar stores continue to sell the N1E batteries though but if I have to send it in I will. Thank you very much B&N! *hugs my nook*

New User
baxter19
0 Kudos

I had the update installed last night and when my Nook came back up all my books were there, but all of had been "reset" as if I've never read them and when I hit the reading now button it says I'm not reading anything.  I have quite a few books on there and now I don't know which ones I have read and which I haven't...and the one I was reading, I don't know which page I was on.  Is there anyway to fix this?

Thank you

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

baxter19 wrote:

I had the update installed last night and when my Nook came back up all my books were there, but all of had been "reset" as if I've never read them and when I hit the reading now button it says I'm not reading anything.  I have quite a few books on there and now I don't know which ones I have read and which I haven't...and the one I was reading, I don't know which page I was on.  Is there anyway to fix this?

Thank you

No there isn't.Unfortunately from the beggining B&N decided that organizing your books is not that important.

I use Calibre on my computer to organize my books and to keep track of what I am reading and what I have read.   

Reader 4
hcethatsme
0 Kudos

I went from 1.5 to 1.7 and I swear page turns are faster. Maybe it's an illusion or maybe I had some kind of minor problem before, but in any case, I'm happy!

New User
baxter19
0 Kudos

It seems like a waste to have the option to do all the shelving and sorting only to have it all wiped out with the next upgrade...I wasn't deleting any I've read because I knew I read them, now I guess I'll have to go back through almost 30 pages of books and figure it out...that really sucks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
0 Kudos

hcethatsme wrote:

I went from 1.5 to 1.7 and I swear page turns are faster. Maybe it's an illusion or maybe I had some kind of minor problem before, but in any case, I'm happy!

The cannot be faster because of you make a binary comparison of the application it's a 100% match.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

It might be faster because of the reboot. I've found that on occasion my nook slows down and a reboot puts it back to normal.
Frequent Contributor
eserafina42
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So in other words, since I don't have a card and no way of knowing if there was anything I would want in version 1.6 (since its contents seem to be a secret), I might as well just keep 1.5.

And no new updates, when my Nook is only a year and a half old. Gotta say, planned obsolescence sucks.

Incidentally, someone mentioned that they were keeping their N1E because it reads pdb files. Does that mean the newer ones don't? And if I were at some point to get a newer one, does that mean I wouldn't be able to read the earlier books I bought that came in pdb format, or have all of them been updated to epub?

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@eserafina42:

My understanding is that only the N1E will read ebooks in .pdb format but that they can also be read using the NOOK computer application.  So, if your N1E dies after the warranty expires, you will not be able to read those ebooks in .pdb format on any currently available ereader.

I don't know about updating ebooks from .pdb to .epub format.  I suspect that, if you bought your .pdb ebooks directly from B&N, you probably can (or will be able to) archive them and then re-download them in .epub format; if not, I suspect you would be able to make sufficient fuss with Customer Service that they would refund the purchase price of any book you bought from B&N but were no longer able to read on a B&N ereader.  However, I think all of my .pdb ebooks were purchased from Fictionwise, and even though B&N now owns them, I doubt they will help me aquire an ereader-compatible version if my N1E dies.

Although I have not used it, Calibre may be able to convert .pdb ebooks to .epub format, which would then enable you to read them on any of the various NOOKs.  Calibre is a free program, so you may want to check it out on the web to see if it can do the .pdb to .epub conversion.

New User
erin_elizabeth
0 Kudos

I hoped for an update to repair the "go to last page read" option that was available before the last update? Will this be fixed? I often accidentally go the title page and am unable to go back to the place I was without just searching for the page I left off from. Is this an issue with just my nook, or is it a software problem?

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Updated today, so far, so good. My 16GB card is recognized. I was reading a book from it right before updating. The update was seamless, when the Nook rebooted, I hit reading now and was right back in my book.

One thing I did notice, I hope it was temporary, but the contrast on the wallpaper picture I had up at the time seemed to increase rather strongly. It was a nice, old fashioned Sidney Paget drawing, so I don't think this was my imagination. Also the text on the settings page seemed bolder and stronger when I went to check what version of software I had. (1.7, so I guess that's it and I'm good to go.)

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Contributor
cricket808
0 Kudos

Re: [NEE]: 1.7 Update

Yes, the reason I am keeping my N1E is because none of the newer eReaders will read a .pdb files.  I purchased all of them through eReader and through Palm.  If your .pdb books are from B&N, and if you reload the books lets say through un-registering your N1E then re-register (my friend did this by accident) then the books will be in epub format.

The sole reason I purchased an N1E instead of a Kindle was because I could read my .pdb ebooks on it.  It would be a sad day if I needed to use my computer to read them instead.

Calibre can convert .pdb to epub however, if the ebooks are protected, DRM, it will not convert.  You will have to find a way to strip the DRM, then convert it.  I've not tried this as it may violate some law, but I would prefer some way of converting my books to epub rather than spending another $900 in purchasing ebooks that I already own in epub format.  What would be nice is if B&N would allow Nook Color owners to download the eReader app for Android, then you could read .pdb ebooks on the Nook Color.

But it would be nicer if B&N would offer owners of .pdb ebooks purchased through Fictionwise and eReader (companies and technologies that they own) a way of converting the .pdb ebooks to epub format.  Also include those ebooks purchased from Palm as well.  The best would be to have the Nook Color and any new eReader that B&N sells to read .pdb files.  After all, the Kindle can read mobi reader files.  Just asking nicely.

New User
kndl
0 Kudos

My nook just downloaded the 1.7 Update.  However; my font sizes seem to be not working.  My Extra large and my Extra Extra large font is about the same size as my Large size font.  How do I fix this???

Contributor
Brigz
0 Kudos

I guess everyone's Nook must not be the same, but I just upgraded to 1.7 by sideloading the upgrade file. When it finished installing I went to My Documents and hit 'Check for New Items' and all my shelves with all the correct books were there, just as I left them in 1.5. No problems and an error free upgrade.

Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
0 Kudos

baxter19 wrote:

It seems like a waste to have the option to do all the shelving and sorting only to have it all wiped out with the next upgrade...I wasn't deleting any I've read because I knew I read them, now I guess I'll have to go back through almost 30 pages of books and figure it out...that really sucks!

When mine upgraded, all my shelves were just as they were with 1.5.  I think all the pages read were OK too, though I have not really looked hard at that, so I will have to look again.

Yes, I think the pages turn just a bit faster.

I had been hesitant to root my Nook, waiting for BN to fix the MP3 library to separate songs by shelves or to recognize folders as Screensavers do.  Since there are no more updates planned, Ithink once my Warrenty is up, I will go the Rooted way and load some of the improvements folks have done on the Android side.

Of course I will definately wait until after the 2 year warrenty I purchased is up before I do that, because they will not exchage  rooted nook :smileyhappy:

They have a year to go, then I will get creative !!

Van!!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!
Correspondent
dave47
0 Kudos

Completed the side load update procedure.  No problems and my N1E is now at 1.7.

Never did get a notice that an update was available when wi-fi connected for either 1.6 or 1.7.  Wonder why this works for some and not for others.

I will also echo the comments about the release notes.  Minor system update?

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.