Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
0 Kudos

Re: [NEE]: 1.7 Update

cricket808 wrote:

Yes, the reason I am keeping my N1E is because none of the newer eReaders will read a .pdb files.  I purchased all of them through eReader and through Palm.  If your .pdb books are from B&N, and if you reload the books lets say through un-registering your N1E then re-register (my friend did this by accident) then the books will be in epub format.

There!!  Another one of me :smileyhappy:)

I too had a large eReader collection.  Calibre with the right plugins (oops, did I say that?) helps, but eReader is the big reason I didn't want to upgrade.  I understand BN actually owns the eReader format now.  I have and use eBook Studio so I can publish in eReader format.  My N1E reads them fine.  I have created .pdb files of my favorite hymns, my favorite poems, my favorite sermons etc, and before Project Gutenberg started releasing ePub copies of its books I made several of those that I still read.

Van!! 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!
Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

I posted something similar to your post - I really miss the "last page read."  But, it appears from the posts I've found here that B&N will "continue to support" all its products - whatever that means - but will not continue updating the original Nook software.  I'm hoping they at least "support" us by continuing to sell replacement batteries, but those don't seem to be available from B&N any more according to some posters - although you can get them from Amazon for the Nook.

Contributor
treehouse_reader

Does "support our entire family of NOOK products" mean continuing to sell replacement batteries for the "classic" Nook?  They are not available for purchase from B&N online any more, and a search shows none at any stores within 75 miles of me. 

Replaceable battery was one of the reasons I decided on Nook over Kindle - and now it looks like Amazon is where I have to go to get a replacement battery if I need it!  Ironic.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

treehouse_reader wrote:

Does "support our entire family of NOOK products" mean continuing to sell replacement batteries for the "classic" Nook?  They are not available for purchase from B&N online any more, and a search shows none at any stores within 75 miles of me. 

Replaceable battery was one of the reasons I decided on Nook over Kindle - and now it looks like Amazon is where I have to go to get a replacement battery if I need it!  Ironic.

I just checkd and my local BN has batteries in stock again. Ordering online appears to still be backordered.

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

graycyn wrote:

Updated today, so far, so good. My 16GB card is recognized. I was reading a book from it right before updating. The update was seamless, when the Nook rebooted, I hit reading now and was right back in my book.

One thing I did notice, I hope it was temporary, but the contrast on the wallpaper picture I had up at the time seemed to increase rather strongly. It was a nice, old fashioned Sidney Paget drawing, so I don't think this was my imagination. Also the text on the settings page seemed bolder and stronger when I went to check what version of software I had. (1.7, so I guess that's it and I'm good to go.)

I also noticed that my wallpaper contrast has increased.  I thought that it must have been my imagination, but now that someone else has noticed it....

It also seems that books take longer to open the first time?  I'm not sure because I never timed it under 1.5, but it seems so.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I've never had a spot of trouble with my N!E and absolutely love it but the 1.7 update is proving to be a pain in the butt for me. When I went to bed last night I noticed that my Nook said that it was downloading a new update, which I had been expecting. When I woke up this morning everything was gone, it was back on 1.3 and I had to reregister it all again and everything. :smileysad:

So I've reregistered it, gotten back my B&N ebooks and have gone to the support part of the site to get the 1.7 upgrade and download it. Unfortunately my Nook needs to charge a bit (it needs to be 20%) before it will let me get the upgrade. Then I suppose I'll have to download all my My Document ebooks as well.

It looks like I'm going to be late for work today.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Backorders I can understand.  I was just concerned.  Might be too many people like me freaking about the new Nook taking over and hoarding batteries!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I got everything reloaded back onto my Nook except a couple ebooks from My Documents that I'm sure I probably downloaded incorrectly in the first place sometime last year, and I can't figure out where my personal wallpaper and screensavers are so I guess I'll just have to get new ones.

I'm also not sure I did the audiobooks right but I'll try them out when I get home from work.

The whole thing made me a bit cross but I'm not the type to get too upset or angry about it, especially since I was able to put 99% of my ebooks and stuff back on it.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Conniecats wrote:

I got everything reloaded back onto my Nook except a couple eBooks from My Documents that I'm sure I probably downloaded incorrectly in the first place sometime last year, and I can't figure out where my personal wallpaper and screensavers are so I guess I'll just have to get new ones.

I'm also not sure I did the audiobooks right but I'll try them out when I get home from work.

The whole thing made me a bit cross but I'm not the type to get too upset or angry about it, especially since I was able to put 99% of my eBooks and stuff back on it.

Based on your earlier post, the update failed sufficiently that your nook performed a Factory Fallback. This procedure erases everything on your main drive and installs the original software.

The missing screen savers and eBooks are gone unless you had them backed up somewhere.

The potential for a failed install is why I installed an SD card back when all the updates were being released. I put all my data on the SD card.

A failed update is something that can happen with any update not just v1.7 and an SD card isn't affected by a Factory Fallback.

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

Based on your earlier post, the update failed sufficiently that your nook performed a Factory Fallback. This procedure erases everything on your main drive and installs the original software.

The missing screen savers and eBooks are gone unless you had them backed up somewhere.

The potential for a failed install is why I installed an SD card back when all the updates were being released. I put all my data on the SD card.

A failed update is something that can happen with any update not just v1.7 and an SD card isn't affected by a Factory Fallback.

I don't have an SD card (don't even know how to use it), but I do have all my books in Calibre. Will that be enough if an update ever fails?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Thanks, Gstone. Now I've got to recreate all my shelves, which will be a bit of a pain.

Oh well.

Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

EscapistFL wrote:

gstone wrote:

I don't have an SD card (don't even know how to use it), but I do have all my books in Calibre. Will that be enough if an update ever fails?

Ok...sorry....dumb question but.....what is Calibre???  I have the N1E wifi version...on airplane mode cuz I'm afraid of the update:smileysad:.  I have 1.5....the 1.6 update didn"t successfully load and when I read about all the problems I kept it on airplane mode.  I do not have an sd card installed.  Do I have anything to worry about??? Without an sd card, how do i back up my books just in case??

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Updated my Nook3G last night.  No problems.  I don't see any differences at all (which is what BN claims it should be) except the version changed in "settings".  i don't have a SD card so I can't speak to that.  I will probably update my wife's nook WIFI tonight and see how that goes.  One thing for sure is it takes a LONG time for the Nook to start back up initially after the update so make sure the battery is charged well and then just wait.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

EscapistFL wrote:

Few failed updates will result in a Factory Fallback. The installation has to progress to the point where upon completion the software can not start the device before the nook will perform a Factory Fallback on its own.

Having your eBooks loaded in Calibre is fine for backing up eBooks on your computer. So is Nook for PC.  These do not backup other personal files you may have on your nook like screen savers or music.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

twlight73 wrote:
Ok...sorry....dumb question but.....what is Calibre???  I have the N1E wifi version...on airplane mode cuz I'm afraid of the update:smileysad:.  I have 1.5....the 1.6 update didn"t successfully load and when I read about all the problems I kept it on airplane mode.  I do not have an sd card installed.  Do I have anything to worry about??? Without an sd card, how do i back up my books just in case??

Calibre is free software for your computer that helps to organize ebooks and can be used to load ebooks to the nook.

To back up your ebooks, you can do one of a few things.  You can download them from B&N's website, you can dowload them using Nook for PC, or you can copy them from the N1E directly.

To do this last option (the one I personally prefer), you just hook your nook up to your computer via the USB cord and copy the B&N downloads folder to your computer.  You can also copy your sideloaded content this way, if you don't have it on your computer anymore.  If your nook ends up doing a factory rollback, you can just copy your content back onto the N1E, putting it into the same folder structure it's in now.  Then you won't have to re-download everything.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I went tonite to my local B&N store and asked one of the employees there to help me unload the 1.7 version.  He was very kind and cooperative and tried, not only once, but three times, to download it to no avail.  He called B&N customer service and they told him that this occurrence might have been caused by a "network problem."   ????????

Tomorrow, I will go again to the store to try, once again, to download the new version, which according to some of the employees, makes the N1E run smoother.  If it dowloads successfully, I will be more than satisfied.

Lector GS
Contributor
JBSandlin
0 Kudos

So far the 1.7 update has been clean and transparent for me.  I am curious what "minor updates" were made - obviously there is a correction for the large SD card problems.

Speaking of the SD card problem: I have an SD card for much the same reason, to preserve data in a separate space in case an update goes bad.  I generally keep my mp3 music and screen saver / wallpaper data on the SD - along with a handfull of side loaded documents (most were just to test side loading).  I was lucky that I didn't have any issues with my SD card with the 1.6 update.  But then I didn't actually try to access the music much and so might not have noticed the problem.  All the data is there in 1.7.  Hopefully they have addressed the battery life issue that started around 1.5 (I think).  I've taken to keeping it in Airplane mode almost all the time to preserve the battery life.

Also, some have noted issues with buying a new book and downloading since getting 1.7.  I didn't have a problem with the one I just bought.  I wonder if there are some books that present issues anyway or maybe some books and 1.7 don't get along.  Or maybe it was just a case of bad timing and network congestion when they bought their new books (I downloaded via 3G rather than WiFi, that might be a difference too).  You have to wonder if there might be a 1.8 to fix the download problems.

Contributor
Dizkneefan
0 Kudos

I am one of those with the downloaded books issue since 1.7. Have bought books on 3 different days. They show up in your BN library but will not open. Tried BN fix of archiving/unarchiving many times and they still do not open. My "fix" was to side load and open in my documents which is not ideal but at least I did not lose $15.00. Hopefully BN knows they have this issue and are working on a fix.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
0 Kudos

[N1E]: 1.7 Update issue resolved

[ Edited ]

SLevine wrote:

Hi Jadjuka-

(1) We do not expect future N1E firmware updates at this time.

As I said in my private message to you (but for the benefit of others who have read my posts and are concerned about the issue I reported):

Even more testing data:  as you may recall, my 45,000 PDF files are FAA instrument approach charts.  In the previous problem with the Nook 1st Ed., the charts were organized in about 9000 folders by state, then airport.

When I reloaded the same PDF files only stored in folders by state (and thus getting rid of about 8800 folders), the problem (nine minutes to mount/remount the SD card) does not manifest itself.

So, apparently the issue in v1.5 & v1.7 is not the number of files, but the number of folders.

While I would like the Nook to handle my 9000 folders without a problem, I would suggest that B&N developers spend their time on problems that affect more users.

So, I consider this issue to have been sufficiently isolated so as to not affect 99.99% of users.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
0 Kudos

Hmmm ...

Dizkneefan wrote:
I am one of those with the downloaded books issue since 1.7. Have bought books on 3 different days. They show up in your BN library but will not open. Tried BN fix of archiving/unarchiving many times and they still do not open. My "fix" was to side load and open in my documents which is not ideal but at least I did not lose $15.00. Hopefully BN knows they have this issue and are working on a fix.

I had not heard of that, and had not purchased any books since I upgraded to 1.7.  Everything seems to be working fine so far, but just to be sure I hopped up and bought a book :smileyhappy:

It appeared to download fine, but it did not appear in my library until I turned off my NiE all the way and turned it back on again.  I had selected "Check for new content" several times with no effect, also went back and forth to other shelves with no effect.  Once it came back up after the power down, the book was there and opened fine.

Showed up fine on my PC library too.

guss everything woks OK for me :smileyhappy:

Van!!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!