Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Jenafyre21
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

I heard about the problems downloading and opening new eBooks since the v1.7 upgrade.  I purchased a cheap book that was on my wish list and it appeared to download and open with no problems.  I don't have an SD card and I sideloaded the update last night to the Nook.  Just thought that I would let you know.

Contributor
cricket808
0 Kudos

There is one issue that the 1.6 and 1.7 update has caused for me.  Previously, when pre-ordering a book, I would place the pre-ordered title on the appropriate shelf.  When the book was available and downloaded, it would appear on that shelf as a new book.  The indicator "pre-order" would be replaced with "new"

Since the 1.6 and 1.7 update, my downloaded pre-ordered titles no longer appears on the shelf that I placed it on.  It now appears on the UNSHELVED shelf.  Most annoying, however I figured out where it went and I placed it back on the appropriate shelf.

For troubleshooting purposes, I did order these books prior to the update while still on v1.5 and the books became available after v1.6 and v1.7 was installed.  I haven't had a chance to pre-order a title since the 1.7 update, and any pre-order that I was planning, the books won't be available for a while.

It would really be appreciated if B&N could fix this.  I really liked going directly to an author's shelf to read the latest novel that I had pre-ordered.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

So far, so good. My Nook seems to be working well with the v1.7 update. I've downloaded books and opened them, no problem. I have not yet tested shopping from the Nook, because I almost never do that, I make my purchases from my computer.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Since sideloading v1.7 last week I have been having issues that I have never had before. When I first did the download all the books in My Documents library disappeared although my shelves remained. I had to tap "check for new content" multiple times to get it to repopulate. Now last night I had the screen go totally white on the B&N Documents page and then all my books disappeared leaving only my shelves. Then it said it was loading and s-l-lo-w-l-y added all my books back. Every time I went back to the B&N library page it did that loading thing that took forever. I have never had this happen before and Nookie is 6 months old. So far I see NO benefits to v1.7 but certainly see problems!

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite
0 Kudos

After turning on wifi numerous times since 1.7 came out to no avail, last night it suddenly downloaded the update. All appears well...new books I had bought on my N2E appeared in the N1E library, and all my sideloaded books from the memory card are back, and on their proper shelves. I am very relieved it worked and hope those with issues get theirs righted soon. Very frustrating to have something you use every day broken!
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
New User
Migo
0 Kudos

Yeah, so I went to download some books that I purchased last night. (I had purchased a few others last week) My nook starting downloading an update at the same time. Installed it, and deleted everything! Including my wi-fi settings and when it came back on I had to re-register. After re-registering it downloaded this new update.

Now I have to re-download all of my B&N books. Everything in my documents is just gone. I do not use an SD card. For all those people who say you don't update enough.... Updates happen automatically. I am always connected to the internet, and I never had an update before last night.

This is very upsetting.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Our NookWifi updated last night, I was able to go "purchase" a free book and it downloaded fine.

Correspondent
JackalopeKing
0 Kudos

Just upgraded to 1.7 and am happy to report no problems. I was a bit wary of upgrading after reading through this thread, but, surprisingly, I didn't have any issues. Well, just one minor one where the book titles showed up larger than the author names [i have it sorted by author] but switching to a different view and back fixed that right up. 

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

I had stayed in Airplane mode during the whole 1.6 situation, but after I read that B&N had pulled the automatic 1.6 update, I did connect to WiFi and never received an update message.  Strangely, though, since the 1.7 update has come out, my NOOK keeps sending me the message that an update is available, but the update it wants me to download is 1.6, not 1.7.  The message started appearing in a message box on my wallpaper and as a Software Update message on The Daily; although I have not connected to WiFi since the message started appearing, I have connected and downloaded several books through my 3G connection.  Each time, the date on the update message has changed to reflect the current date and time, but the message still instructs me to download 1.6.

Given some of the posts about problems with 1.7, I've been reluctant to go to a WiFi hotspot to update, but I'm also concerned that my NOOK seems to be hung up on the 1.6 update with no mention of 1.7.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

I had stayed in Airplane mode during the whole 1.6 situation, but after I read that B&N had pulled the automatic 1.6 update, I did connect to WiFi and never received an update message.  Strangely, though, since the 1.7 update has come out, my NOOK keeps sending me the message that an update is available, but the update it wants me to download is 1.6, not 1.7.  The message started appearing in a message box on my wallpaper and as a Software Update message on The Daily; although I have not connected to WiFi since the message started appearing, I have connected and downloaded several books through my 3G connection.  Each time, the date on the update message has changed to reflect the current date and time, but the message still instructs me to download 1.6.

Given some of the posts about problems with 1.7, I've been reluctant to go to a WiFi hotspot to update, but I'm also concerned that my NOOK seems to be hung up on the 1.6 update with no mention of 1.7.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, my nook told me the same thing.  When I connected it to wifi it downloaded 1.7, not 1.6.  It's just the B&N has't updated the Daily to talk about 1.7.

I wouldn't worry about getting 1.6 at this point.  They appear to be pushing 1.7 only.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@keriflur:

Thanks for the reply; I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one whose NOOK appeared to be stuck in a time warp!

Have you had any problems since updating to 1.7, such as opening newly purchase books, etc.?  I'll be out of WiFi range all weekend; if I update before I hit the road, I don't want to find out that I can't open the books I purchase via 3G.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Finally, I was able to download the most recent, and perhaps, last, upgrade on my N1E.  It happened unexpectedly.  So far, I have not experienced any problems. All my books are there...  I am happy.

Thanks to all those who provided information and input.

:smileyhappy:

Lector GS
keriflur
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

@keriflur:

Thanks for the reply; I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one whose NOOK appeared to be stuck in a time warp!

Have you had any problems since updating to 1.7, such as opening newly purchase books, etc.?  I'll be out of WiFi range all weekend; if I update before I hit the road, I don't want to find out that I can't open the books I purchase via 3G.

I haven't, but I know some others have.  FWIW, if it were me, I'd wait to update until I got back.  I NEED my books when I'm traveling and would be miserable if I couldn't open some of them.

Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie
0 Kudos

Got the update automatically about one week ago.  No issues at all.  Downloaded the free friday book The Front Porch Phophet and all is good.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Contributor
Gimel_Vav
0 Kudos

Smooth update to 1.7.  No problems for me.

RHWright
0 Kudos

Updated Saturday, so far no quirky behavior.

Reader 4
JuneT
0 Kudos

Question - You mention N1E being able to read .pdb files... Does this mean that the other versions of Nook do not???

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

JuneT wrote:

Question - You mention N1E being able to read .pdb files... Does this mean that the other versions of Nook do not???

Yes.

N1E reads .pdb.  NOOK Color and N2E do not.

Contributor
lorelee
0 Kudos

Updated Tuesday.  So far so good.

Reader 2
ReneeFL
0 Kudos

Hi, All!

My first time on the board, though I've been reading your posts for a long time. Thanks to your comments on the dreaded 1.6, I kept my Nook in 3G mode for the past month, as I have a 16GB card (PNY brand) with carefully selected music & book files.

So in my sleepy wake-up mode, I connected to my home wi-fi today, only to see that I was receiving an automatic update. I quickly went to Settings, wrote down my existing installed & used memory data, then thought positive thoughts about how perfect 1.7 would be.

And it was! Memory & card numbers were the same, shelves remained unchanged, I downloaded & opened the free e-book, bought a book, and ordered a bunch of samples. I looked for crossword puzzles in the games section, but alas! this was not to be.

I've downloaded software updates for many years and only half-believe release notes. My opinion is that developers & companies will tell you some things (but not others), to protect proprietary information or not to rile up the users or because it really was just a coding glitch that needed fixing. (IBM was the model, then came Microsoft.) So while I share your frustration at not knowing exactly what changed, my opinion is that some minor fixes were made and code may have been added for N1E compatibilty with features being developed for the color & touch devices (i.e., nook friends, I hope).

Other notes:

• I jump around in all my books, so before exiting one that I will return to, I always set a bookmark at the last page read. I also read on my laptop and found the synching bothersome.
  • I created a shelf named "DONE" and made it the last shelf. When I've finished a book, I remove previous shelf assignments (if needed) and put it on the "DONE" shelf.  It's now cataloged, out of my way, and can be archived, if appropriate. (Yes, I know this doesn't help if your shelves are erased; I'm just saying...)

So, thanks for all your contributions, on this and other threads. You've been extremely helpful, nook-wise. 

Renée