Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
kdoherty
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

I wanted to chime in here. I do not have an SD card of any sort installed in my N1E.  I looked the other day and it appears that 1.7 is installed.  It's been working flawlessly.

Contributor
WonderWmn
0 Kudos

Just now got my update. Skipped right passed the 1.6. Working like a charm.
Reader
TerminaMorte

[ Edited ]

Them not being willing to tell us what was updated/changed really concerns me. I can't recall the last time any firmware for any of my other devices didn't have a detailed change-log.

Almost makes me wonder if they slipped something in to look for pirated epubs/rooted devices or something similar.

Since there are no issues with my device, I'm just not going to update. Better safe than sorry.

Frequent Contributor
Mackie77
0 Kudos

Has anyone had a problem with their computer not recognizing type of file that pops up when sideloading? Also, if I take my Nook to Barnes and Noble and check for content, will it automatically upload? That is what I understand from the BN site, but it seems like so many processes are much more difficult than anticipated!

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

My Nook updated itself sometime this past week, with no apparent problems.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Mackie77 wrote:

Has anyone had a problem with their computer not recognizing type of file that pops up when sideloading? Also, if I take my Nook to Barnes and Noble and check for content, will it automatically upload? That is what I understand from the BN site, but it seems like so many processes are much more difficult than anticipated!

What type of file are you referring to?  And you'd probably be better starting a new message about this, as it really doesn't have much to do with the update, unless this a problem new since the update.

New User
BCParker
0 Kudos

My nook just downloaded the update unexpectedly today. I have had to re-register my nook, reset my wifi passwords and re-download all my books. As for my "my documents" they have totally disappeared and I can only guess that I'll have to redownload those from my computer as well. Is this normal? It feels like a big hassel for an update that doesn't appear to do much for me. I don't have an SD card and have never had any issues with my nook up until now. Should it be doing this?

Contributor
Dizkneefan
0 Kudos

My issue is still downloading books.  The only way new purchases since 1.7 will download is to go to my laptop and archive/unarchive the books; then they will download to my nook ... this is getting old.  I really do not want to deregister/re-register, but that is Customer Service's current fix.  Doesn't seem that always works either.  This upgrade has been a real mess for lots of us and it doesn't look as if B&N gives a hoot.  The cynical side of me says this is all a plot to get us to drop our 1st editions and get either the color or 2nd edition ... but I know that really isn't the case  Just my frustration talking..

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Mackie77 wrote:

This happens if you download books to your computer from the B&N website. In the file name a .ver is added before the .epub extension and the Nook cannot read this. You need to remove the .ver from the file name and then the Nook should be able to read the file. 

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: [NEE]: 1.7 Update

BCParker wrote:

My nook just downloaded the update unexpectedly today. I have had to re-register my nook, reset my wifi passwords and re-download all my books. As for my "my documents" they have totally disappeared and I can only guess that I'll have to redownload those from my computer as well. Is this normal? It feels like a big hassel for an update that doesn't appear to do much for me. I don't have an SD card and have never had any issues with my nook up until now. Should it be doing this?

That happened with my My Documents too! I just kept tapping on "add new content" and slowly they all came back. Try that and see if it works for you too. Tap the add new content 4 or 5 times. It is much easier than downloading again. Good luck!

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: [NEE]: 1.7 Update

Try a reboot. Shut it off completely and then turn back on. This clears the memory and shuts down any programs that are running.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader
taylor18TX
0 Kudos

is anyone else having problems with the shop? because ever since this update its been working wrong! what did they change, does anyone know?

Reader
taylor18TX
0 Kudos

i am having the same problem and i tried to chat with a expert....they did not help at all!!!!!!!!!!

Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer
0 Kudos

I PM'd Sam over a week ago about a concern with this update and still haven't received a response. My problem is similar to yours (and others I've seen) where I purchase a new book and it doesn't appear to download directly to my device.  Some are purchased and others are freebies, either way my nook isn't downloading them consistently.  This all started (for me) with the 1.7 update.  I was able to miss the 1.6 chaos completely.  I was so happy after the first few positive 1.7 update posts.  Other than the common complaint about not knowing what they are doing to my nook, I really didn't mind the update until my download issues began.  I had to "Check for new content" repeatedly until some of my downloads finally took place. I wish they would admit they have a problem with this new update.  I still love my nook, though!

New User
jwbaker
0 Kudos

I have some books and documents in pdf format on my sdcard.  

After updating to 1.7, I can no longer read pdfs.

A book will open but I cannot advance to the next page or Go to a specific chapter.  

My nook either switches to Opening Book mode or reverts to the list of books in My Documents.

Prior to updating, I had no problems reading pdf books and documents.

Is there any way to revert back to the 1.5 release?

Thanks

John

Contributor
P-diddy
0 Kudos

Never had 1.6, just went to 1.7 and was surprised by the notice.  Really was hoping for some new Adobe based game, but.  No SD card in my Nook, but still love my orginal Nook.

New User
singleshot54
0 Kudos

Since my Nook install 1.7.0 I can no longer access my SD card. I've called service support twice and have tryed reloading 1.7.0 three times. Each time my nook tells me it is an illegal update.

Distinguished Wordsmith
spec
0 Kudos

singleshot54: I dont know what do you mean by "acces SD Card", but I finally let it update yesterday and now I can't see any of the Nook drives (internal or SD) when I connect nook to PC via USB cable. I dont know what I'm going to do yet. I would prefer to go back to 1.5.0 which worked fine and I definitely dont need unspecified "minor system improvements".

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

spec wrote:

singleshot54: I dont know what do you mean by "acces SD Card", but I finally let it update yesterday and now I can't see any of the Nook drives (internal or SD) when I connect nook to PC via USB cable. I dont know what I'm going to do yet. I would prefer to go back to 1.5.0 which worked fine and I definitely dont need unspecified "minor system improvements".

Have you tried restarting the device?  Some others have reported this and a restart resolved the issue.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

singleshot54 wrote:

Since my Nook install 1.7.0 I can no longer access my SD card. I've called service support twice and have tryed reloading 1.7.0 three times. Each time my nook tells me it is an illegal update.

If you've downloaded and tried to install it 3 times, the computer is probably adding a number to the file name.  Connect your Nook to the computer and make sure you only have one copy of the file signed_bravo_update.dat.  If you have multiple copies, such as signed_bravo_update(1).dat, you need to delete the extras. The update will not install with any other characters in the name.,

I would go to the Nook via the computer and delete any files named signed_bravo)update.dat, and then download it from the website and copy it to the Nook and try installing it.