Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
chechee
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

I havent bothered to update my nook after 1.5 update froze it and forced me to have countless converstations with nook support and then send it in for a replacement. So its still running on 1.3 and the only way it can be updated is if I go to BN store.... no thanks.

Contributor
NC_Writer_2B
0 Kudos

I've had my N1E off for a few months while I try to work through the print edition of GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire series (which I would have bought for the nook, if they hadn't originally priced it twice as high as the hard copy).  When I turned the nook back on yesterday, I saw the update message.  Mine is at 1.5.  And now that I've had a chance to read through some of the comments here, I'm thinking it may be a darn good idea to leave it at 1.5 for the following reasons:

1. Users are still having problems with the 1.7 update

2. B&N is hush-hush over what the update entails (and THAT is unacceptable)

3. No further updates are expected for the N1E

So unless anyone at B&N can give us a darn good reason to update to 1.7, I'm staying put with what's working for me now.

Frequent Contributor
ankala

[ Edited ]

Hi Sam, I see many many posts here but not too much information. So, I am posting to relate my experience.

I bought a smart card in early July, went to Union Square B&N in Manhattan and had help putting it in. I was told there then that I could not manipulate storage on the card through the Nook 1st Ed, but I would have to sync to my computer to do that. Have not yet got around to it and, Don't know how.
When I jack it in with the USB, will it automatically allow access to storing ebooks or magazines on the smart card?

OR if not, how exactly do I do that???

Concerning the updates. I mostly leave my nook on airplane mode, but will wifi now and then to read the Daily, and get downloads as I have a magazine subscription.

I read it for two hours on Saturday. On Labor Day, Monday night, got on a wifi-equipped bus, opened it up, and SUDDENLY IT GOES THROUGH THREE UPDATE DOWNLOADS AND REBOOTS

and

FORCES re-registration of the device (???)

and then it wanted to redownload my library all before it let me resume reading my magazine

(and I had to "find" my spot, that was not saved).

If there was a choice presented to me on accepting the "update" downloads, it was subtle for I missed that option if indeed it existed. And as soon as it rebooted, it wanted to do the next one then, and again.

Finally, after it was done downloading, and installing, and rebooting three times, I was able then to get back to settings, (final version is now 1.7.0) and go back to airplane mode!

No idea why there were three updates? As I was at 1.5 already? unless one of the two was a minor update? before it went for the 1.7?

Yes, I surely would have preferred to know in advance this would happen. As in, why don't they send us email listers a NOOK NEWS EMAIL?? (why not?)

Also, why did my nook1e get three updates all at the same time? And yes, I did the big update last Fall/Winter.

Any information you are able to relate will be helpful, Sam, thank you. :robottongue:

Contributor
NC_Writer_2B
0 Kudos

Well, I wasn't going to load the update, but I had noticed that the last several ebook purchases I've made no longer reveal the covers under the "Show Covers" option.  I've heard that this may be related to using 3G as opposed to WiFi, but I don't really have a choice about that - that's WHY I BOUGHT the 3G option.  Some speculated the lack of covers was due to 1.7, but I was on 1.5 on the N1E. 

The good news is that I performed the side load, and seem to have no issues so far with it.  However, I am still missing those covers.  Also, I must agree with another poster who mentioned that they took away the GoTo Furtherst Point Read option, which I actually used several times before, and I too would like to see this back. 

B&N needs to start listening to it's ereader customers if it doesn't want to fall into the same trap as Borders.  1) Fix the 3G issues, and put the option back onto the new readers (we WILL pay extra for it).   2) Fix the missing covers problem.   3) Restore the features (like go to furthest point) that users want back... it's not like we're asking for something you haven't done and don't know how to do.  You used to have this option, and covers used to show up. 

Contributor
Mike0301

NC_Writer_2B wrote:

..snipped.. for brevity

1) Fix the 3G issues, and put the option back onto the new readers (we WILL pay extra for it).   2) Fix the missing covers problem.  

B&N needs to start listening to it's ereader customers if it doesn't want to fall into the same trap as Borders.

I'm not sure B&N has ever listened to the e-reader community.  The B&N executives wanted a way to compete with Kindle.  They got the Nook then returned to doing the book business the way it was supposed to be done, selling paper books out of big stores.  

3) Restore the features (like go to furthest point) that users want back... it's not like we're asking for something you haven't done and don't know how to do.  

Convince someone that we keep more than 2 books on these devices.  That we want shelves that are minimally useful and don't require special tricks to use.  Put a KEYPAD for the go to page function, not that stupid slider bar.  

But B&N has pulled support for the device, even then programming support and input never rose above a 10th grade computer programmer class.

Do I like my Nook, surely I do.  I read almost a book a day on my Nook, but it could have been so much better.

Kindle will continue to kick Nook to the street as long as the execs at B&N relegate the Nook to the status of a sparkly toy for the kids and not as a major part of their business plan.

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mike0301 wrote:

NC_Writer_2B wrote:

..snipped.. for brevity

1) Fix the 3G issues, and put the option back onto the new readers (we WILL pay extra for it).   2) Fix the missing covers problem.  

B&N needs to start listening to it's ereader customers if it doesn't want to fall into the same trap as Borders.

I'm not sure B&N has ever listened to the e-reader community.  The B&N executives wanted a way to compete with Kindle.  They got the Nook then returned to doing the book business the way it was supposed to be done, selling paper books out of big stores.  

3) Restore the features (like go to furthest point) that users want back... it's not like we're asking for something you haven't done and don't know how to do.  

Convince someone that we keep more than 2 books on these devices.  That we want shelves that are minimally useful and don't require special tricks to use.  Put a KEYPAD for the go to page function, not that stupid slider bar.  

But B&N has pulled support for the device, even then programming support and input never rose above a 10th grade computer programmer class.

Do I like my Nook, surely I do.  I read almost a book a day on my Nook, but it could have been so much better.

Kindle will continue to kick Nook to the street as long as the execs at B&N relegate the Nook to the status of a sparkly toy for the kids and not as a major part of their business plan.

Yes I agree it could have been so much better.  And not huge changes were needed either, just little ones here and there.  And ones that could have easily been done.  Just a couple of tweeks to shelves would have made a huge difference (don't turn on shelves unless asked and allow meta data to add books to shelves to add books enmass to shelves via calibre), the mp3 player (allow bookmarks), allow covers to be displayed in mydocuments as well, and yes definitely allow for jumping to a particular page NUMBER of a book not to mention page number of your library list.  Like I said small improvements that would have made big differences.

With regard to the issues with covers not showing.  I was also having that problem, but then I did a full shut down (30 seconds holding power button) then waited at least 5 minutes before turning it back on) seemed to fix the issue.  If that doesn't work try hooking your Nook to WIFI instead of 3g and see if that loads the covers then.  That has also given covers a 'kick' so they worked.  Once they load the first time they are remembered.  Or at least they do for me.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

I don't understand why B&N would be worried about the cost of downloading covers through 3G. As small as the cover that appears in the center of the 1E touch screen is it must be a LOT smaller than the typical ebook file. I've posted larger photos on a hobby club's web site that only required a few dozen Kilobytes of storage (probably less than a twenty page ebook).

With the limitations of the E-Ink screen and the size of the touch screen I can understand most of the limitations of the web browser.

I've had an inexpensive MP3 player that is much easier to deal with finding a file because it reflects the folder structure in its flash drive. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a very big flash drive. I would like to use the much larger add on card in my Nook 1E, but it's too difficult to find a particular track in a long list. Certainly the code to support a folder structure or playlists wouldn't have taken much more extra storage.

Contributor
NC_Writer_2B
0 Kudos

Some good news at last.  The issue with the missing covers had a work around.  I would have to go to a B&N store, attach to the Wi-Fi, and then scroll through the complete list of covers (back & forth) to make sure they all updated.  Doing this for every new purchase was a pain, and I had to turn off the 3G so it wouldn't try to load any new updates.  Every time a cover updated, I would get the blank square again.

However, last week I downloaded a new ebook via 3G and the cover came with it <<shocked gasp>>!  So I got brave and looked through all my covers after the "check for new content", and all covers were present and accounted for.  So has the issue been fixed?  May be too soon to tell for certain, but prospects are hopeful!

New User
The_HunterJE

[ Edited ]

I know this is a late replay how ever I just found this place when studying up on my nook.  I am THANKFUL for the 1.6 update since the fellow who had this Nook thought it broken and sold it as non-working on Ebay, I picked it up for 17 bucks free shipping.  It updated when I turned it on and got the wifi working, and has worked like a new machine ever since.  I have now had it for nearly six months and have used it at least weekly if not daily and have had no problems with it. I decided to study up since it was recommended that I root it and install other readers so I could read different formats.  I do not think I shall root it.  I already have an android apad that I have rooted and upgraded the Android system on so I have a toy to use for Android, and the Nook just makes reading so much easier while still giving a new techie feel, something I enjoy having worked on, and programmed for since my first C=64 machine back when they were the THING TO HAVE in personal Computers. In fact I sold several basic programs to local businesses so they could keep books for their stores, and computerize their charge accounts (North Dakota before the boom when you trusted your townsfolk with credit).