Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Re: [NE1]: 1.7 Update

For a minor update the file is pretty big.  It's 62.2 mb.  But I join with everyone who is asking that B&N tell us what is in it. 

Frequent Contributor
buckysrevenge
0 Kudos

Re: [NE1]: 1.7 Update

MLBerry wrote:

For a minor update the file is pretty big.  It's 62.2 mb.   

It's not patch, but a complete firmware install, hence the size. 

Contributor
Shadist
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

So, up until this morning I was fairly lucky in that I missed 1.6.

Until I read there was an update which, I hoped, would solve the issue I have just really started to notice whereby my battery drained from 25% to 2% in two hours when it was in airplane mode with the screensaver on.

So I updated while I slept and have found that, although it is unknown if it fixed my starting issue, it has created for me the same issue some seem to have had with 1.6. It's reading my memory card as having a max size of 91MB and an avalible size of 242MB (it's a 2gig card).

So at this point I can't see anything on my memory card. In addition my computer won't let me manually read anything on the onboard system folder. It shows up when I hook my computer up via USB, but says I need to insert a valid card when I attempt to access it. However the nook itself is seeing the books located there.

At this point I have set it aside and am letting it look for new media in the vain hopes it suddenly

"finds" it. 

Or something.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Shadist wrote:

So, up until this morning I was fairly lucky in that I missed 1.6.

Until I read there was an update which, I hoped, would solve the issue I have just really started to notice whereby my battery drained from 25% to 2% in two hours when it was in airplane mode with the screensaver on.

So I updated while I slept and have found that, although it is unknown if it fixed my starting issue, it has created for me the same issue some seem to have had with 1.6. It's reading my memory card as having a max size of 91MB and an avalible size of 242MB (it's a 2gig card).

So at this point I can't see anything on my memory card. In addition my computer won't let me manually read anything on the onboard system folder. It shows up when I hook my computer up via USB, but says I need to insert a valid card when I attempt to access it. However the nook itself is seeing the books located there.

At this point I have set it aside and am letting it look for new media in the vain hopes it suddenly

"finds" it. 

Or something.

Just to make sure I understand, when you're using the nook, you can see the downloaded files and sideloaded content that was loaded to the nook's internal memory, but you can't see any of your SD card files?  And when you connect to the computer, you can see the SD card files, but you can't see the internal memory?

That doesn't sound good.  Have you tried a reset of the device?

Contributor
Shadist
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Just to make sure I understand, when you're using the nook, you can see the downloaded files and sideloaded content that was loaded to the nook's internal memory, but you can't see any of your SD card files?  And when you connect to the computer, you can see the SD card files, but you can't see the internal memory?

That doesn't sound good.  Have you tried a reset of the device?

Ok, adding to the oddness. . . hooked it up to my second computer (trying alt computers, an old habit) and it sees all the files on both. So right now I am making a copy of all the documents/deleting. Then I will reset the device and see what happens (then try replacing the documents).

But to answer you, yep that's it exactly. In the nook I couldn't see the sideloaded SD content (and it was "misreading" the size) and on my other computer I couldn't see the internal memory. I had tried restarting it along with two restarts with removal and reinstall of the SD card.

I will reply with more if what I am doing on the other PC works.

P.S. Yeah, not so happy with this.

Contributor
edmonddantes74
0 Kudos

Also, when you go to the settings, your device says it's on 1.7, not 1.6?

Contributor
Shadist
0 Kudos

edmonddantes74 wrote:

Also, when you go to the settings, your device says it's on 1.7, not 1.6?

Yep. 1.7.

Contributor
Shadist
0 Kudos

Ok, that didn't fix it.

Resetting to factory defaults.

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Shadist- Can you please PM me with some details about the problem you're experiencing? Please include your card make and size, as well as the steps youve taken to troubleshoot. Thanks very much --Sam

Contributor
Shadist
0 Kudos

Did the factory reset, still reads the SD card wonky.

Turned it off, removed SD card, restarted, turned it off again, reset again. . .

It's still reading my SD card as having 93.03MB total with 242.11MB used.

Well I've run out of ideas.

Contributor
Shadist
0 Kudos

Sure can Sam.

Contributor
edmonddantes74
0 Kudos

This might sound weird, but have you tried formatting the card?  You can copy the data off of the card to your desktop, then format it on your pc.  While the card is mounted on the pc (I would use an external card-reader), right-click on it and select format.  I would choose quick format, then once that's done, put your books back on the card.  Then, put the card back in the nook and reset it.

My 8 gig card wasn't working before the 1.7 update, but now the device can see all the books and music just fine...

Contributor
Shadist
0 Kudos

edmonddantes74 wrote:

This might sound weird, but have you tried formatting the card?  You can copy the data off of the card to your desktop, then format it on your pc.  While the card is mounted on the pc (I would use an external card-reader), right-click on it and select format.  I would choose quick format, then once that's done, put your books back on the card.  Then, put the card back in the nook and reset it.

My 8 gig card wasn't working before the 1.7 update, but now the device can see all the books and music just fine...

About to do just that actually.

And for someone who has built PC's, formatting never sounds weird. :smileyhappy:

Reader 4
momof8KY
0 Kudos

I also did NOT update my nook to 1.6.  Kept e off and left 1.5.  I started haivng problems with battery, not fully chargins, quickly draining etc.  While I was online with CS it draind 5% while connected to USB! 

My nook in version 1.5 stopped reading SD card, after 3 restarts read on 246 MB of a 16 GB card!  they insisted it was the update (even though it was not installed0.  CS assured me that update to 1.7 would finx issue, id did NOT :smileysad:  Nook w/1.7 ) first read partial card of 246 mb, after shut down remove and reinstall it reads 0! I wish BN had left well enough alone.  No point in updates that mess up the nook and give us no extras like games for the aggravation.  I have 5 nooks all 4 moths old or less.  I can tell you that they either fiure this out QUICK or they will be taking them ALL back :smileysad:  Thanksfully I only had an sd card in one of them.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update: auto update issues

Today I bought a used N1E and immediately did a factory reset and registered it.  It then told me that I needed to update from 1.4.0 to 1.5.0 (and told me how to get it),  but that download failed (because the 1.5.0 update file is no longer there).  Of course, a side-load of 1.7.0 (URL obtained from the B&N support web page for the N1E) worked perfectly.

My point is, part of the 1.7.0 update mechanism is out of sync on the B&N side.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Contributor
neach

Troubleshooting all this stuff would be a lot easier on our part if we knew what exactly B&N changed/added in the 1.6/1.7 update.

The fact that 1.5 is nowhere to be found any more concerns me.  I'm being herded to 1.6/1.7 whether I like it or not.

Frequent Contributor
buckysrevenge
0 Kudos

neach wrote:

The fact that 1.5 is nowhere to be found any more concerns me.  I'm being herded to 1.6/1.7 whether I like it or not.

It is available, just not advertised: http://images.barnesandnoble.com/presources/download/nook/v.1.5.0/signed_bravo_update.dat

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SLevine wrote:

Shadist- Can you please PM me with some details about the problem you're experiencing? Please include your card make and size, as well as the steps you've taken to troubleshoot. Thanks very much --Sam

There are apparently two (related) problems:

1. Bogus size reports in Settings:

I have the same problem with a SanDisk 16GB card (same reported bogus size numbers, despite a different sized card) after booting the Nook; the bogus size problem seems to go away after a while, apparently after the Nook has determined the available space on the SD card.  That process (on any FAT-based file system) involves walking the entire directory structure on the file system, and I now have about 25,000 PDF files on the SDcard.  So, it takes a few minutes ..

2. Check for new content is never completing:

I get the impression that the problem is perhaps that the Nook is trying to index the entire SD card:

• If I press Go to My B&N Library and then press Check for new content, the check completes in a couple seconds.
  • If I do the same with Go to My Documents, I get a pop-up saying Checking for New Items -- This will only take a moment, and then it sits there indefinitely (over 20 minutes), unless I cancel.

If I cancel after the 2nd case (which will also sometimes start Checking for New Items automatically), sometimes:

• It will find zero documents (ie, even the User Guide and Tour are missing).
  • It will find just the User Guide and Tour..
  • It will find the User Guide and Tour  and a few documents on the SD card.

As an experienced (and now retired) embedded software engineer for over 30 years, I can tell you that the practice of both B&N and Amazon in indexing (and then "flattening") the directory structure for display purposes, is a fundamentally flawed design.  It may have reasonable performance for those not using SD cards, but for those of us that do (especially using larger cards), well you may be seeing the result.

The Nook Color also attempts to do this, but a well-placed ".nomedia" file (an Android feature) or two suppresses the indexing.  That does not appear to work on the Nook 1st Edition (which has a much earlier earlier version of Android).  However, if I rename the head directory of the structure that contains 25,000 files, to have a "period" at the beginning of the directory name (another well-known technique for hiding content), then the "Check for new content" is instantaneous.

I'm willing to do additional testing if needed.  My main readers are the Nook Colors;  I bought the Nook 1st Edition (on Craigslist for $75!) for experimentation.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

Well I sideloaded 1.7.  It installed with no problem and reads my 8GB card with no problem.  My nook1e is about 1 and 1/2 years old and is still working fine.  I even like the size and shape which looks like a book in its leather cover.

So no complaints here.  I hope it lasts for many years.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

I'm willing to do additional testing if needed.  My main readers are the Nook Colors;  I bought the Nook 1st Edition (on Craigslist for $75!) for experimentation.

Dean, have you tried doing a full reboot by holding the power button for 20 seconds to shut it down, then turning it back on? That will restart Android. The normal power-off sequence restarts the e-reader applications, which will then do a rescan of the media, but it won't remount the media.