Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,259
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:
Dean, have you tried doing a full reboot by holding the power button for 20 seconds to shut it down, then turning it back on? That will restart Android. The normal power-off sequence restarts the e-reader applications, which will then do a rescan of the media, but it won't remount the media.

I did the hard reset (just for you -- grin), but no change:  bogus sizes are reported in the Settings screen for several minutes after rebooting.  Further, it is my experience that a normal (5 second power-off button hold) also remounts the media: I can see this in ADB, which doesn't show the SD card as mounted for some minutes after rebooting.  Once ADB reports that the SD card is mounted, then normal sizes are reported, and files on the SD card become visible (eg, using the internal browser).

Furthermore, the bogus size are reported again for several minutes after any USB mount/unmount.

However, the 20-second power-off hold did cause the User Guide and Tour to disappear again (they are still there in the file system), so apparently the Nook attempted to reindex the file systems again ...

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Shadist wrote:

.....In addition my computer won't let me manually read anything on the onboard system folder. It shows up when I hook my computer up via USB, but says I need to insert a valid card when I attempt to access it. However the nook itself is seeing the books located there.

I ran into a situation like this on an earlier update (v1.3 or v1.4). A supervisor at Tech Support had me do a Factory Fallback then install the update again. This seemed to fix the problem.

At the time I did not have an SD card installed so I cannot comment on that aspect of your problem.

So far I haven't noticed any annomalies in the operation of my nook with the v1.7 update.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@DeanGibson,

If you're connecting via ADB can we assume that you are using a rooted NOOK?

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

I can see this in ADB, which doesn't show the SD card as mounted for some minutes after rebooting.  Once ADB reports that the SD card is mounted, then normal sizes are reported, and files on the SD card become visible (eg, using the internal browser).

Furthermore, the bogus size are reported again for several minutes after any USB mount/unmount.

The system is running /system/bin/dosfsck (Linux/Android variant of "CHKDSK") for several minutes on every boot and USB unmount.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

@DeanGibson,

If you're connecting via ADB can we assume that you are using a rooted NOOK?

Yes, so I can see what is going on.  The same thing happened before I rooted it.  I have made no modifications/installs/etc other than rooting.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Re: [NE1]: 1.7 Update

Would you pass up the line what MANY of us have stated MANY times before - we miss the feature of "Go to Last Page Read" that was way back in one of the first software versions.  It got "improved" out and never replaced.  So, now I have to bookmark where I stop if I jump around to check back on a character earlier or something in a mystery - or, turn off airplane mode, sync with B&N, and use the cutesy feature I never use otherwise to go to last synced page.  (I know that some people appreciate that sync feature, but I bought the Nook to read books on it, not to read books on my phone.)

I know it's not in the newest 1.7 - that's the 1st thing I checked.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

treehouse_reader wrote:

Would you pass up the line what MANY of us have stated MANY times before - we miss the feature of "Go to Last Page Read" that was way back in one of the first software versions.  

Sam has already stated that N1E will receive no further updates.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Sorry.  I don't spend all my time hanging out here and reading all the posts.  I just read this thread after I got the 1.7 update and was trying to figure out what in the world it was.  And read the following posted by "Sam"

"If you guys want to suggest brand initiatives or future product features, I will be able to collect them and send them along to appropriate internal teams."

I foolishly read that as "product features" for the original Nook since this is a thread on the original Nook.  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

I'm sorry.  I guess I should have left you under the impression that someone might listen to your request.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Nope.  Info is actually appreciated.  I'm just frustrated by what will or won't happen.  If they are abandoning the original Nook now, why this mysterious 1.7 update now?  We have 2 original Nooks less than a year old - and actually love them - but it would be nice not to be dropped like week-old fish.  Or have these mystery updates showing up on my Nook today when I didn't even TRY to get it.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Just an update to my own post.  The more I think about this, the more I think I stumbled through Alice's Looking Glass here.  No more updates - so get your new update 1.7 today!  "Yes, we have no updates today!"

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

treehouse_reader wrote:

I think I stumbled through Alice's Looking Glass here.  No more updates - so get your new update 1.7 today!  "Yes, we have no updates today!"

v1.6 was supposed to be the final update.  It, however, broke major functionality which v1.7 repaired.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-1-6-Update/m-p/1062158

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

No sarcasm from me - Thanks.

Inspired Contributor
Coffeecat
0 Kudos

So, from glancing over this thread, seems like there's no reason not to update to 1.7 because it doesn't seem to break anything.  (it feels ridiculous to write that - in the rest of the tech world, updates are good things)

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

I updated both ours earlier this afternoon - one downloaded, but I had to sideload the other - who knows why.   Spouse and I have both been using them this evening, trying to see if we can find any problems - all seems to work about the same.  I just can' tell what was changed.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Coffeecat wrote:

So, from glancing over this thread, seems like there's no reason not to update to 1.7 because it doesn't seem to break anything.

OH YES IT DOES!  Have you tried this with an SD card in the N1E?

I just spent two hours in detailed testing (and documenting in a private message to Samantha) the repeated inability of v1.7 to display documents on an auxiliary 16GB SD card.

NOTE THAT THE PROBLEM IS INTERMITTENT!!!

I'm going to try to go back to v1.5.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

treehouse_reader wrote:

I think I stumbled through Alice's Looking Glass here.  No more updates - so get your new update 1.7 today!  "Yes, we have no updates today!"

v1.6 was supposed to be the final update.  It, however, broke major functionality which v1.7 repaired.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-1-6-Update/m-p/1062158

And my guess is that there will be a v1.8 update as well, given my experience w/ v1.7 ...

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Ack.  I'm just going to leave mine on 1.5.  I turned on the wifi on mine today and it doesn't seem to be pulling down the OTA update, so I'm just going to keep using it like I always do.  I'm afraid if I sideload I'll regret it later.

DeanGibson

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

NOTE THAT THE PROBLEM IS INTERMITTENT!!!

I'm going to try to go back to v1.5.

UPDATE: It appears that rebooting causes the problem, and a USB mount/umount to a PC SOMETIMES cures the problem. In other words, the SD card mounting code in the reboot sequence is missing some of the code that is in the USB dismount sequence.

Even if that were fixed, nine minutes to remount a 16GB SD card is unacceptable. The program taking all the time is "/system/bin/dosfsck" (file system check of a FAT partition). Why on earth does that have to be done on every mount???   Answer:  In a normal Linux system, no one does that; filesystem checks are performed on a low percentage of mounts.  I have 16GB SD cards with identical file content in the NookColors, and they don't have this problem.

So, I went back to v1.3, tested, upgraded to v1.5, tested, and then upgraded (again) to v1.7.

All of those versions (all tested stock, not rooted) have the long delay when mounting or remounting an SD card with the number of files I have.  However, v1.3 doesn't seem to have the problem of "missing" documents after a reboot, but v1.5 and v1.7 do.  I didn't do exhaustive testing with v1.3, so it's possible this problem has been there from the beginning.

So, there appears to be no regression from v1.5 to v1.7 in this respect.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I side loaded the update to 1.7 when it was released.  I have a Kingston 16GB card and have not experienced the issue you report after several reboot tests.  It has alson been connected & ejected several times from my computer (Linux).  

Have you tried using a different card?  I ran into a similar problem with two identical external HD's.  One would take up to 15 minutes to connect even after reformat and no data loaded.