Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine

Re: [NE1]: 1.7 Update

[ Edited ]

@treehouse_reader: Seeing as you say that you are not that familiar with these forums, please check out our community guidelines, found here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

Note the first guideline:

"Be respectful. The Book Clubs involve participants with a wide range of beliefs and ideas about the subjects they’re discussing. We encourage an open dialogue, but require that participants remain civil, courteous and respectful at all times."

I found your use of my name within quotation marks (written as "Sam") to be of bad taste, as you seem to insinuate that I am not a 'real person' but rather a fake corporate account.  

Disrespectful language used towards your peers or any board Moderator will not be tolerated here.

If you feel as though I am doing an inadequete job here in this position, feel free to shoot me or any other board admin a PM with your thoughts.

Thank you, and welcome to these forums.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

SLevine wrote:

@treehouse_reader: Seeing as you say that you are not that familiar with these forums, please check out our community guidelines, found here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

Note the first guideline:

"Be respectful. The Book Clubs involve participants with a wide range of beliefs and ideas about the subjects they’re discussing. We encourage an open dialogue, but require that participants remain civil, courteous and respectful at all times."

I found your use of my name within quotation marks (written as "Sam") to be of bad taste, as you seem to insinuate that I am not a 'real person' but rather a fake corporate account.  

Disrespectful language used towards your peers or any board Moderator will not be tolerated here.

If you feel as though I am doing an inadequete job here in this position, feel free to shoot me or any other board admin a PM with your thoughts.

Thank you, and welcome to these forums.

Really,

Then you really should check out the "Wish the N2E had 3G thread".  You can find all the disrespect you could possibly care for in there.  On both side of the issue.

SLevine

[ Edited ]

Appropriate actions have been taken to manage the community guidelines violations within that thread, Nom-de-Nook. Thank you for your note.  

Contributor
melora81
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: 1.7 Update

I just started up my nook (it had been off for a few days), and it automatically loaded and installed the 1.7 update, and restarted itself. All's well, and it sees the SD card again. Many thanks and kudos to you and the software team.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

cbtengr wrote:

Have you tried using a different card?  I ran into a similar problem with two identical external HD's.  One would take up to 15 minutes to connect even after reformat and no data loaded.

I have three SanDisk 16GB class 4 microSDHC cards;  the latter two purchased new from Radio Shack.  One of those latter two is installed in NookColor #2, and the other was installed in the Nook 1st Ed, both with essentially identical content.

After your comment above, I swapped those two cards.  When the card from the N1E was moved to the NC, the NC became unstable, and so I reformatted it in the NC and restored its contents from my PC.  That gave me hope that your comments had merit in my case!!!

However, when the card from the NC was installed in the N1E, it appeared to function normally, and the same behaviour as documented above occurred.

Note that the NCs are rooted and are sometimes running an Android version of SAMBA.  SAMBA on the NC is really nice for wireless transfer to/from the PC, but it has a couple of minor stability issues.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

I just turned on my wifi again today and I get a note that says it is updating.  I'm bemused becuase I didn't know anything about an update to the N1E.  When I check it, I find out it is version 1.7.  I didn't even know there had been a 1.6. 

Now, no one is telling what was on 1.6 or 1.7.  We are being told (I haven't seen this myself so I would like to be pointed in the proper direction to read it) that there wasn't going to be any updates to the N1E and that there isn't anymore support for the unit.   So, what could be on these updates? 

I'm not sure though I don't seem to be having any of the problems that others have.  I will speculate on two things.  ONE: updated the base version of Android on the N1E for stability issues and possible future updates.  TWO:  Some change to the base software to eventually break the N1E so you will have to purchae a new Nook sometime in the future.  I think both of these are unlikely but anything is possible.

For those of you that are really into Android and get to the root programming, can you find any differences between the V1.5 and the new 1.7?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Prmetime wrote:

Now, no one is telling what was on 1.6 or 1.7.  We are being told (I haven't seen this myself so I would like to be pointed in the proper direction to read it) that there wasn't going to be any updates to the N1E and that there isn't anymore support for the unit.   So, what could be on these updates? 

See this thread:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-1-6-Update/m-p/1062158

GeneHunter
0 Kudos

The "official" word is on the NOOK 1st Edition Support Page at

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook1-support-software-updates/379002707/

Contributor
cricket808
0 Kudos

First and foremost, thank you to B&N and especially to you Sam, for taking the time to address this unfortunate incident with the 1.6 update. I feel fortunate that B&N has continued to support the N1E with the latest update.  My N1E is now seeing the SD card again and I can access my ebooks stored there along with my music.  I did have to sideload the update a second time before it took.

I have worked in computer technology for over 21 years, from desktop support to helpdesk to network design and deployment and round again.  While I understand the frustration that has been voiced here in this forum, I can also understand the frustration that the B&N engineers went through to identify then fix the problem.  Kudos to all who worked on this.

The N1E is an excellent product and I won't give mines up because it can read .pdb files.  I also have a Nook Color and it is also an excellent product.  Even if it has been announced that there are to be no further updates to the N1E, you just never know.  It never hurts to ask nicely.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Just wanted to say that I just downloaded the 1.7 update on my N1E.  I have a 4GB card and had absolutely no problems with the update.  Awesome!

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Thank you! For 1.7 :smileyhappy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Reader 2
maggiec
0 Kudos

If I update to 1.7, will I have to download all my books again?  

This happened to me after I updated to 1.6.  My library was empty on my Nook.  The books were still on the website, but not on my Nook, until I went through & downloaded 200++ books again.  What a nuisance!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

maggiec wrote:

If I update to 1.7, will I have to download all my books again?  

This happened to me after I updated to 1.6.  My library was empty on my Nook.  The books were still on the website, but not on my Nook, until I went through & downloaded 200++ books again.  What a nuisance!!!

Copy the files from your Nook's drive to your PC. If you run into that problem again you should be able to copy them from your PC back to your Nook's drive without having to download everything again.

I updated to v1.7 without issue myself.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I had to sideload 1.7 just like I had to with v1.5. So far I am not particularly thrilled with this update and I don't even have an SD card! Initially My Documents library showed up totally empty although I have over 100 books. After tapping "check for new content" about 5 times it repopulated it in fits and starts. I am not sure if it put my books back on the shelves right or not. They don't look quite right but maybe I am remembering wrong? I just don't get why we are having all these inconveniences - minor and major - to download an update that supposedly doesn't really do anything. It is frustrating to say the least. I have put a lot of time into sideloading the books in the My Documents library and think that any update ought to not interfere with all that work.

Inspired Contributor
lives2read
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was in B&N today and didn't even make it to the cafe counter to order before I had the 1.7 update loading automatically, I still read for the hour free, then it blanked out and it would not cooperate for a few min., I shut it down, browsed the store and turned it back on, all was well. It seems so far at least that my nook is working fine, but I have been online buying books instead of reading!

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@Lives2read

Did you notice any major differences between version 1.5 and 1.7?  Are there any new functions?

Thanks

Lector GS
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

LectorGS wrote:

@Lives2read

Did you notice any major differences between version 1.5 and 1.7?  Are there any new functions?

Thanks

There are no new functions included in this update (that you will see anyway).  This update is supposed to be invisible to the user.

SLevine
0 Kudos

Happy to hear that your N1Es have updated to and are running smoothly with v1.7.  As always, please reach out to me to report any problems. --Sam

Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Hallo! I do have an epicly dumb question that has probably been answered before, however I only pop on here for the free fridays and anything that peaks my interest but; is this The Last patch for N1E? Or will there be more in the future? 

Also I got my brother the N1E for Christmas with the extended warranty and with B&N getting rid of all their N1E stuff for their N2Es, will they still support N1E if later down the road my brother's nook needs repairs and its still under the warranty? 

Okay fine, 2 dumb questions. ^^;

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Sam has posted, "We don’t anticipate any further updates at this time."

She's also posted that (of course) B&N will honor its warranties.