Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
PA10
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

Absolutely still using my N1E.  Love it as much today as when I got my original one in January 2010.  Best gift ever!  Just bought my daughter one of the $89.00 ones.  Should be here by Wednesday.:smileyvery-happy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

My wife and I both are using our NOOK 3Gs daily. No reason for us to "upgrade." The NOOK 3Gs do what we want.

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
0 Kudos

I still have my original N1E and never had a problem.  I love it, use it every day, and don't plan to get another version until it dies.  I take it everywhere except the beach (don't trust the sand and 100 deg heat).  In two week we're flying to NY City for our annual shopping trip. 

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I am still usign it basically for book reading.  I use my NC to read the enhanced magazines, and when time allows it, I used the recipe books to make myself an ingenious salad or something similar.  It's a great device.

Lector GS
Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

I still use mine! Never had any issues whatsoever....sure a little glitch here and there, but nothing that turning off the Nook can't solve. :-)

Only a small crack horitonzally on the bevel, nothing worth crying over. 

Currently reading Stone of Tears by Terry Goodkind.  I read it daily. 

As the others stated, I'm going to wait until I run this to the ground for an upgrade. Perhaps Nook 3. 

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

I have the 3G version. It was a pre-order, and was replaced due to the cracking issue. I also own a NC and an N2E. The N2E is the one I use on a daily basis; my daughter uses the NC; and my wife has uses the N1E. As long as it is still working, I have no plans on retiring my N1E.
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I am still using my  N1 !  I got mine for Christmas 2010, so its almost one yr old, it was purchased new for $ 149 and they were hard to find  in store at B&N  just before Christmas Eve last year !  It  was the same time people could buy the nook color also. But it was the N1 that was selling out faster. I have never had a problem with it and use it everyday!  Now you can get one for $89 it's still the best device for the price!  I have the N1 WI- FI . :smileyhappy:

AikiPen
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] better for sideloading

Oh also my N1 handles sideloaded books from my kids accounts much better than NC or N2. With my N1 once I enter the credentials for a sideloaded book it totally remembers them and never asks for them again. With NC or N2 when I have to reboot the machine or switch from a book from son's account to a book from daughters account I have to reenter the credentials. Big fat pain. I have the N1 3G, both my kids have an N1 wi-fi with their own accounts, my credit card so I have full access to their accounts. It has turned my sometimes reading son into a fairly avid reader. If I hadn't gotten them the N1 wi-fi for their birthdays last year they would definitely be getting it at $89 for Christmas this year. Don't look to upgrade anytime soon.

Contributor
willaful
0 Kudos

I find sideloading much easier with my Touch -- what I had thought was an ADE problem is apparently only an ADE/N1 problem.

But I do still have my original Nook, and use it.  I never understood before why people would use more than one ereader but I have joined that spoiled bunch. :-) The original lives by my bed, the Touch goes everywhere.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I've switched to reading on my company provided iPad since I don't want to carry multiple devices (I'm already carrying an Android phone, Blackberry, Laptop, and iPad). However reading on the N1E 3G was a much more pleasant experience. I found I could read faster and longer on the N1E than on the iPad.

I've since given the N1E 3G to my wife and she loves it. My daughter ha an N1E WiFi and loves it as well.

I've had the N1E 3G since January 2010 with the extended warranty from B&N and have never had a problem with it.

Right now I'm hoping it breaks before January 2012 since I hear B&N has run out of 3G models for warranty replacement and is replacing them with the N2E.

While I did use the 3G to download a book at the train station once, 90% of the time I am in an area covered by WiFi so I wouldn't miss the 3G much.

Inspired Contributor
MAD70601

I use my N1 to buy books to read on my N2, and until they give me my wish list on my N2, I am keeping it.  Maybe then, and only then, I'll pass it along to someone else.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Mostly just reading Library books right now.  Of course, I have refrained investing in any new ebooks until it becomes clearer if BN can keep up (even if new Kindles arent better, if Amazon starts an aggressive refresh cycle on hardware it will be hard for BN to get new customer unles they also keep bringing out "new and improved").  Right now I am not sure BN has the capital.

Inspired Contributor
jlg881
0 Kudos

Still using my N1E and loving it.  I also have a tablet so my Nook stays at home and I travel with the tablet.  I do find that it is easier to read on the N1E then the tablet.  Battery life is much better also.

Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

My N1E 3G is fast approaching its first birthday. I use it almost every day and I still love it. It sure lightened my backpach when I quit carrying 2 or 3 books with me when I'm on the road. I'm a little disappointed that B&N has given up on the 3G. I don't use it much, but it has saved me a few times when I was fresh out of books.

No plans on replacing it, but the $89 Wi-Fi could end up being a gift for my wife!

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

I use my NC more than the N1E, especially since I just got it back from a two month loan to my sister-in-law's mother. It seems to be the device that I use to lure people into the world of e-readers. Billie wasn't sure she wanted an e-reader so I let Jodi loan her mine. She loved it and insists this is the model she wants for Christmas, not the N2E or any other brand. She wanted to run right out and buy it but Jodi told her to wait for a gift. Billie asked if I'd loan it to her until Christmas, when the gift will be given. (I would have, but she recently returned it.) I pointed Jodi to the B&N website with the $89 deal.

Before Billie borrowed it, I loaned it to my grandma's friend Alice. Mom loaned Alice her hardcover of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Unfortunately, Mom left her copies of the next two books at her snowbird residence and I suggested loaning my N1E with the those books. Alice was hesitant, saying she wasn't interested in e-reading and liked physical books, but Mom and I mentioned how enjoyable it is. Alice said her son gave her a Kindle 3 for her birthday. That was in October but it was June or July when we mentioned loaning her my N1E. We found out she wasn't using it because she never could figure out how to set it up. I practically demanded she give me the K3 so I could set it up for her. Plus, I was curious and wanted to play with it. It had some nice features but I like my N1E and NC better. After Alice read a few chapters, she was sold on e-reading. Once I had the K3 set up and stocked with books she might like and the rest of the Larsson books, we traded back.

The fate of my N1E? It may end up with my sister-in-law when I can bear to let go of it.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

Still using mine and loving it! The screen broke (dead pixes) a coupld months back and got a refurbished one free from BN, and have had no problems with the refurbished one. I still read magazines and order new books. I also sideload content, and sometimes will download rss feeds from Calibre (can get free content from CNN, NYT, etc every day). Now I'm reading "The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to our Brains." Compelling stuff! I'm not interested in an STR yet. As long as my N1E is good, and BN doesn't come out with something too amazing to pass up, or drops the price of the STR, I'll be just fine with my N1E. I've only had it since August of 2010. That's barely longer than a year. If my Nook were a car, it would still be brand new, so I don't see the point of rushing to get the latest & greatest every time somethin new comes down the road.

Jadjuka
0 Kudos

I'm one of the first that ordered the N1E, but because of all the back orders I didn't get mine till January which was cool because it came in just in time for my birthday. I love it lots and even bought an Oberon Celtic Hounds cover for it. Only thing is I changed out the battery so it doesn't have the original on it and I've never used the audio because I have an iPod so I usually just turn that on and then pull open my book and read. I will not replace it till the device goes bad because I'm stingy that way. If it isn't broke, don't go out and get a new one.

mister-j
0 Kudos

Got my N1E as a late Christmas gift in Feb. 2010, my NC last Christmas, who knows this Christmas.  I use both the N1E and NC all the time depending on where I am, the time of day, and which is charged up.  I love the 3G so I can check my B&N wishlist to see if a price has dropped or to purchase the next in a series.  Currently reading Guns, a freebie.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Still using mine.  Love it.  Just got a new case with a stand for it :smileyhappy:. It does everything I need it to do, so I am happy.

Inspired Contributor
BooperFH
0 Kudos

Happily reading on my NE1 3g wifi since Christmas 2009 with no problems. I recently bought a spare battery in case this conks out and they are hard to find. I intend to keep using my NE1 until it is no more.

Currently reading Jeffery Deaver's "Edge"