Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Contributor
mac40k
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎07-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

Of course I'm still using my Nook. I've had it since June 2010 and since it is still going strong, I don't see the need to upgrade the hardware just to save a few ounces of weight. I'm sure I'll have to replace it eventually, but not unless I have to.

Inspired Contributor
RVnook
Posts: 44
Registered: ‎11-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I'm still using mine. I onyl had it a couple of months when the Nook Color came out, and I see no reason to upgrade at this point since I can't afford to buy a new one every time BN comes out with a new version. I see, however, that (at least on my browser) the Technical Discussion section for the N1E is empty, as is the Ask Your Community Manager. I guess we really don't count any longer. I hope those who own the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Color fare better.

 

I understand that there are no more upgrade coming, but to wipe out (or move to some unknown location) past technical question that might still help someone (after all, we didn't all throw out on N1E to buy the latest and greatest) strikes me as irresponsible. Not that I expect anyone will read this.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?


RVnook wrote:

I'm still using mine. I onyl had it a couple of months when the Nook Color came out, and I see no reason to upgrade at this point since I can't afford to buy a new one every time BN comes out with a new version. I see, however, that (at least on my browser) the Technical Discussion section for the N1E is empty, as is the Ask Your Community Manager. I guess we really don't count any longer. I hope those who own the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Color fare better.

 

I understand that there are no more upgrade coming, but to wipe out (or move to some unknown location) past technical question that might still help someone (after all, we didn't all throw out on N1E to buy the latest and greatest) strikes me as irresponsible. Not that I expect anyone will read this.


These split-off sections were just created. It may take some time to identify and migrate the posts that are N1E specific.

 

Patience.

BN_AlexG
Posts: 477
Topics: 68
Kudos: 525
Registered: ‎09-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?


RVnook wrote:

I'm still using mine. I onyl had it a couple of months when the Nook Color came out, and I see no reason to upgrade at this point since I can't afford to buy a new one every time BN comes out with a new version. I see, however, that (at least on my browser) the Technical Discussion section for the N1E is empty, as is the Ask Your Community Manager. I guess we really don't count any longer. I hope those who own the Nook Simple Touch and the Nook Color fare better.

 

I understand that there are no more upgrade coming, but to wipe out (or move to some unknown location) past technical question that might still help someone (after all, we didn't all throw out on N1E to buy the latest and greatest) strikes me as irresponsible. Not that I expect anyone will read this.


RVnook,

 

Rest assured you are not being discarded. As RHWright stated, this is a new location for everything N1E and will be populated accordingly. I'm currently sifting through the non-N1E content and preparing it for migration. 

 

Sorry for the inconvenience, I'll have everything up and running as quick as possible.

 

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
Posts: 243
Registered: ‎09-06-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I'm still using my N1E even though I have a NC. However, for the last month or so, if I turn my N1E off, or let it turn off on its own (if I happen to forget to wake it ip during the 72 hr. limit), the stupid thing comes on and it starts from scratch with software version 1.2............I have to register it, d/l my books, and then it starts the stupid "you have a software update" cycle and runs through all of the updating, at which point I have to d/l my library again, set up my WiFi again, and in some cases, archive and then un-archive books in order to d/l them. It's driving me insane!! This is a replacement for the first one that had a cracked bezel (this bezel has also cracked...I care not...LOL) so it's a tad over 1 year old. Other than the update cycle thing, it works like a charm........however, if turned off or allowed to turn off, it requires several hours of work to get it to work "like a charm". I just do not understand what's going on with it!!

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
Posts: 464
Registered: ‎04-19-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

As the owner of a model of all the members of the Nook family, I'm proud to say that I still use my N1E on a regular basis.  It works well and it has not shown any evidence of "old age" yet.  It's a great device and I hope it keeps ticking for a long while.

 

 

Lector GS
Wordsmith
tmr4
Posts: 268
Registered: ‎05-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I'm still using my N1E.  I did just pick up a NST ($99 @ Target and they throw in a free $30 gift card) tonight though, so it looks like my N1E will be going to my daughter.

Contributor
Nookmomof3
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎05-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I got my N1E a couple of months are they came out. I have zero desire for one of the others. I did have mine replaced by Best Buy in January because one of the buttons was cracked and my extended warranty ends January 2012. If it dies I will buy one again. I love my N1E!
New User
TheChickeneer
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I definitly am. Apparently the nook first editioin is "Bulky" and "Hard to use", according to some people, but I still think it is the best edition if you want a combanation of a tablet and a e-reader. The screen hardly has any glare and doesent hurt your eyes. But there is a touch screen that makes it easy to get to the internet. I personally think this is the best edition so far. (But if you want a tablet the nook tablet is awsome too.)

Reader 2
Rereader
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-02-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I have an N2E sitting at Best Buy waiting for pickup from the Cybermonday sale at $79.  I'm sure I could flip my N1E 3G for about $60 so price isn't the issue.  But I think I am going to leave it there and stick with my N1E.   Took the N1E to a local store that has the N2E, and compared them side by side. The screen difference (old vs. Pearl) didn't seem that big a deal.  Page turn rates on N1E don't bother me, and N2E pages seem to leave residual (maybe this is fixed with the latest update?).  N1E has a browser and music player.  I use the browser quite often for mobile news sites, it's slow but works ok, especially since you interface with a capacitive touchscreen.  Leave some background music running through the little speaker while reading.   N2E has a touchscreen obviously, but the boards have people complaining about accidental page turns.  The physical page turn buttons on N2E seem harder to press than the big side ones on N1E.  No browser on N2E unless you root, and XDA makes it sound complicated with the latest N2E firmware update.

 

Anybody want to change my mind before I let my BB order lapse?  Thanks

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
Posts: 2,590
Registered: ‎04-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I still love my N1E 3G. The NT sounds cool, not impressed by the N2, and not against the NC but I will stick to my old nook. Personaly I think with a little upgrade like a better browser and more games maybe a face lift I would buy the N1 again before the NT. Because I want a browser, I want 3G, and I want E ink. But that is me.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Contributor
xliderider
Posts: 13
Registered: ‎10-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?


LectorGS wrote:

As the owner of a model of all the members of the Nook family, I'm proud to say that I still use my N1E on a regular basis.  It works well and it has not shown any evidence of "old age" yet.  It's a great device and I hope it keeps ticking for a long while.

 

 


My wife and I also own most of the Nook products, everything except the Nook Tablet.  The N1E has a cracked bezel on the right lower page turn button, but I put a piece of clear packing tape over the bezel and I have a slicone slip on case, so I don't really notice it.

 

I have a 3 year SquareTrade warranty on it that expires in March of 2012, but it doesn't cover cosmetic damage, just repairs relating to the function of the device.  So, I guess it's been great.  We got our $259 worth of use out of it for the 2.5 years we've been using it.

Frequent Contributor
reedfam
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎06-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I love my N1E!! But it is starting to act funny :smileysad: Won't update my B&N library, says I have to contact CS, and takes FOREVER to update my documents library from my sd card. :smileysad: Of course it waited until after the great Target sale to start being querky.

Reader
Zariah
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-02-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I am still in love with my N1E and ANGRY ANGRY FURIOUS LIVID with B&N for discontinuing the sale of replacement rechargeable batteries for my nook. One of the key selling points for me, when I was buying my first e-reader and deciding between the nook and the kindle, was the user-replaceable battery in the nook. Now apparently B&N has decided to renege on the promise that the tens of thousands of customers who bought the first nook relied upon. My local B&N's nook seller told me, not a month ago, that B&N would definitely continue to support the N1E, which is why I urged a friend to buy one at the reduced price. Now it's plain that B&N's business model includes telling customers, "Tough luck, buy a new one" when their N1E needs service or just a new battery. Introduce new products, yes, but don't consign perfectly good devices to the scrap heap because their batteries wore out.

 

I just purchased the Simple Touch for my sister for Christmas, and I'm appalled at the meager storage and lack of audio support. Hello, B&N -- some of us enjoy plugging in earphones as we read, to minimize distractions from outside noise while on buses, in doctor's offices, waiting on line, etc., not to mention being able to enjoy audio books. I'm this close to taking it back and ordering the kindle for her instead -- it, at least, has audio support.

 

For me, if B&N doesn't reverse its position and at least resume the sale of batteries for the N1E, this will be the last nook I ever own. I will go to the kindle just because I refuse to give B&N another dollar's worth of revenue. Here's hoping B&N's management has enough brains to assign someone to read these posts and find out what customers think and want -- and then do something about it. Or go the way of Borders.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 2,012
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?


Zariah wrote:

I am still in love with my N1E and ANGRY ANGRY FURIOUS LIVID with B&N for discontinuing the sale of replacement rechargeable batteries for my nook. One of the key selling points for me, when I was buying my first e-reader and deciding between the nook and the kindle, was the user-replaceable battery in the nook. Now apparently B&N has decided to renege on the promise that the tens of thousands of customers who bought the first nook relied upon. My local B&N's nook seller told me, not a month ago, that B&N would definitely continue to support the N1E, which is why I urged a friend to buy one at the reduced price. Now it's plain that B&N's business model includes telling customers, "Tough luck, buy a new one" when their N1E needs service or just a new battery. Introduce new products, yes, but don't consign perfectly good devices to the scrap heap because their batteries wore out.

 

I just purchased the Simple Touch for my sister for Christmas, and I'm appalled at the meager storage and lack of audio support. Hello, B&N -- some of us enjoy plugging in earphones as we read, to minimize distractions from outside noise while on buses, in doctor's offices, waiting on line, etc., not to mention being able to enjoy audio books. I'm this close to taking it back and ordering the kindle for her instead -- it, at least, has audio support.

 

For me, if B&N doesn't reverse its position and at least resume the sale of batteries for the N1E, this will be the last nook I ever own. I will go to the kindle just because I refuse to give B&N another dollar's worth of revenue. Here's hoping B&N's management has enough brains to assign someone to read these posts and find out what customers think and want -- and then do something about it. Or go the way of Borders.


FYI, replacement batteries for the original NOOK are available from a number of sources.

 

I just did a quick Google search and came up with over 20 sellers.

 

Correspondent
eagleSB
Posts: 341
Registered: ‎11-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

Absolutely still using mine.  I got mine in the first shipment and have really enjoyed it.  I've been looking at the NST since it will take up less backpack real estate (and I never did really like that small color screen), but my N1E still does what I bought it for 2 years ago.  I can read and read and read...

Contributor
mac40k
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎07-01-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

Had mine for over 18 months and it is still going strong. I would like to upgrade to a lighter model, but I simply can't justify the cost when there is absolutely nothing wrong with my N1E. I just think of all the books I can buy with the same money and it only makes sense to stick with my N1E until it dies.

Reader
Zariah
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-02-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I googled for nook batteries myself when I first discovered that B&N discontinued them. I found "no longer available" on all of them, except for a handful that offer batteries with no indication that they're for the N1E.

 

Be that as it may, my original gripe is still valid. B&N sold these things with the understanding (at least, on my part) that service and parts would remain available. What possible reason, other than trying to force users to purchase new, later-generation nooks, could B&N have for discontinuing sale of the N1E battery? For that matter, what possible reason could there be for them not to make the batteries for all nooks user-replaceable -- except to force users to shell out additional bucks?

 

Batteries aside, the new "Simple Touch" fails in comparison to the N1E on multiple levels. It's too small, for one thing. My N1E feels like I'm reading a BOOK, especially ensconced in its beautiful leather Oberon cover (another gripe: My expensive cover will be obsolete if I can no longer use my N1E, as B&N shrewdly changed the sizes on their other nooks. So you'll have to buy a new cover as well, usually from B&N, or so they hope.). The capacity is ridiculously small -- only 240 MB? In this day and age? My "dinosaur" N1E came with a gig and a quarter. Plus audio capacity, another HUGE negative in the NST column.

 

I don't begrudge the smaller, lighter NST for those who want that feature, nor do I think any vendor should stop offering new products. What I DO protest is a vendor deliberately making products it has already sold obsolete, which is what I see B&N doing with the first generation nook. Why should I have to scrounge around the Internet to find a suitable battery, or pray every time I turn on my nook that it will still respond and not require service that will no longer be available? For that matter, why should I have to settle for a new, "improved" product that doesn't have the features I rely on, just because some clueless executive who probably doesn't even use the thing decided, "Nobody needs music on an e-reader," and "Why give away lots of storage when we can make more bucks selling them additional storage cards?" They don't even include a wall socket adapter to charge the new nook, you have to pay an additional $9.95 for it. OUTRAGEOUS!!!

 

The bottom line is this: Does B&N want my loyalty, and continued financial support? Then let them support ME, and show ME loyalty. They have stepped way, way off the cliff with this issue, and luring me back will take a major reversal of their money-grubbing attitude.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 2,012
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?


Zariah wrote:

I googled for nook batteries myself when I first discovered that B&N discontinued them. I found "no longer available" on all of them, except for a handful that offer batteries with no indication that they're for the N1E.

 

Be that as it may, my original gripe is still valid. B&N sold these things with the understanding (at least, on my part) that service and parts would remain available. What possible reason, other than trying to force users to purchase new, later-generation nooks, could B&N have for discontinuing sale of the N1E battery? For that matter, what possible reason could there be for them not to make the batteries for all nooks user-replaceable -- except to force users to shell out additional bucks?

 

Batteries aside, the new "Simple Touch" fails in comparison to the N1E on multiple levels. It's too small, for one thing. My N1E feels like I'm reading a BOOK, especially ensconced in its beautiful leather Oberon cover (another gripe: My expensive cover will be obsolete if I can no longer use my N1E, as B&N shrewdly changed the sizes on their other nooks. So you'll have to buy a new cover as well, usually from B&N, or so they hope.). The capacity is ridiculously small -- only 240 MB? In this day and age? My "dinosaur" N1E came with a gig and a quarter. Plus audio capacity, another HUGE negative in the NST column.

 

I don't begrudge the smaller, lighter NST for those who want that feature, nor do I think any vendor should stop offering new products. What I DO protest is a vendor deliberately making products it has already sold obsolete, which is what I see B&N doing with the first generation nook. Why should I have to scrounge around the Internet to find a suitable battery, or pray every time I turn on my nook that it will still respond and not require service that will no longer be available? For that matter, why should I have to settle for a new, "improved" product that doesn't have the features I rely on, just because some clueless executive who probably doesn't even use the thing decided, "Nobody needs music on an e-reader," and "Why give away lots of storage when we can make more bucks selling them additional storage cards?" They don't even include a wall socket adapter to charge the new nook, you have to pay an additional $9.95 for it. OUTRAGEOUS!!!

 

The bottom line is this: Does B&N want my loyalty, and continued financial support? Then let them support ME, and show ME loyalty. They have stepped way, way off the cliff with this issue, and luring me back will take a major reversal of their money-grubbing attitude.


Not that I'm disagreeing with you on your preferences. I love my N1E as well.

 

At some point EVERY manufacturer comes out with a new model, and eventually stops producing replacement parts for the old models. Truthfully we want it this way, or would you rather be carrying around a 30 lbs. Osborne 1 "laptop" computer, or a "mobile" phone the size of a small briefcase?

 

A much more egregious example than the NOOK battery was when I had to replace my 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII because Ford no longer made a $5 part that failed in the anti-lock braking system, and it wasn't available ANY WHERE at ANY PRICE.

 

As for as your Oberon cover, no one MADE you buy a $75 cover for your NOOK, it's not B&N's fault that you did. I now have a NOOK 1E and a NOOK 2E and I can tell you that the smaller form factor of the 2E along with the lighter weight, longer battery life, and same size reading screen is very nice. Are you saying that B&N should not have introduced a smaller unit because some people had expensive covers for the  previous version?

 

As far as clueless executives making feature decisions, I was not consulted in the decision process for the NOOK 2E, but no major company makes these decisions without extensive market research. I can tell you that I NEVER use the music capability of the NOOK, so in our sample size of 2 (you and me) only 50% want that feature, and I think in a larger sample the percentage of people who want/use it would be much less.

 

As far as the 240 MB (available for non B&N content) on the N2E, I don't agree with B&N's decision to separate the storage in to partitions for B&N purchases and non B&N purchases, but I think I understand why they did it. The ability to add an external micro SD card (something the other major eReader vendor does not allow) obviates that concern for me.

 

Finally about the now missing wall charger, yes it is ridiculous that it is not included. However once again B&N's major competitor in the eReader market undercut their price by not including the charger, leaving B&N with little choice but to match the move. So if you decide to switch to the Kindle, please be aware that it won't come with a charger either.

 

 

Reader
Zariah
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-02-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

You may not use the audio, but I can tell you that I use it a LOT, mostly for audio books but also at times for music when I'm in a noisy, distracting situation (like a doctor's waiting room). So this will be a major deciding factor for me when I have to think about which e-reader to purchase when my N1E goes. Not that B&N or any other company is obligated to ask my opinion when it comes to design decisions, but don't you think it would have been a really smart move -- seeing as I'm a registered user and therefore they have my name, address, email address and phone number, as well as the fact that I'm obviously someone who buys e-readers and e-books -- to contact me and other registered users and ASK us what we did and didn't want in an "improved" e-reader?

 

For the third time (mayby you should read my other two posts a little more carefully), I don't have any problem with B&N coming out with new products. What I did say is that I resent having bought my N1E under the promise that I would be able to get the necessary parts for it, i.e., a replacement battery. As I pointed out, it was the fact that the kindle did NOT have a user-replaceable battery that sold me on the nook in the first place. A selling point, I might add, that B&N stressed in marketing the N1E. To turn around two years later and pull the replacement battery from their catalog is a blatant betrayal of the commitment they made to the customers who purchased the N1E. If I'd purchased the kindle, I would have been aware up front that I couldn't replace the battery, and then I would have no basis for complaint. This is not true for the N1E and therefore, telling me the kindle's battery isn't replaceable does not support your argument.

 

Third, I bought my Oberon cover for a little more than B&N was charging for the cheesy fabric-and-cardboard covers they were pushing when I bought my N1E, and I don't regret the purchase for a moment. What I do resent is the product I bought the cover for being made obsolete by something as simple as a battery.

 

Now, having laid out my position three times so far, I'm done with this thread. I can only hope B&N managment has the brights to read these posts and address these concerns, rather than steamroller over its customers in a race against Amazon.com. I will only care about the kindle's features when the nook no longer does what I want it to do, which, at this point, will occur at the point when my N1E gives up the ghost.