Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

Zariah wrote:

You may not use the audio, but I can tell you that I use it a LOT, mostly for audio books but also at times for music when I'm in a noisy, distracting situation (like a doctor's waiting room).

[SNIP]

to contact me and other registered users and ASK us what we did and didn't want in an "improved" e-reader?

They didn't have to contact anyone; there are multiple posts on this very forum from people who saw little to no value in the audio player (I'm one of them) and mentioned that.  The lack of audio player, lack of browser and lack of games are among the reasons I upgraded to N2E and I'm not alone.  

(My main reason was that there's no on "Page 1 of 12" listing anywhere in the N2E.  That annoyed the tar out of me when it was introduced to N1E; not for open books, but for finished books.  I wanted to be able to reset the count - eliminate it - for books I'd finished and the software didn't allow that.)

That they kept the replaceable batteries for two years, is honoring their "commitment" not abandoning it, IMO.  Sony no longer sells the batteries for my three-year-old laptop, but I can find one at multiple other retailers.  I don't consider that Sony abandoning my laptop.

I fully appreciate that we all have different priorities in the products we purchase; for me, the N2E is exactly what I had wished the N1E had been.  I wasn't disappointed in my N1E, but I was thrilled at what they released as their second iteration.

Contributor
HecubaYH
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it? - Some random thoughts

I've been following this thread with great interest as I, too, have a N1E that I wouldn'nt want to replace with a NST. I agree that B&N has not held up their end of the bargain - it's not such a big deal to offer batteries and it would go a long way to insure customer loyalty. I also chose the Nook precisely because it was an easily obtained replaceable battery and customer service was available by walking into a store. (I live in a large urban area where packages are often lost.) However, having said this, it seems to me that the bottom line here comes down to some of us want a product that will last while others are happier with the latest thing, whether it's smaller, faster, lighter, etc. The latter group has no expectation of keeping a gizmo for more than a year or two, three on the outside. The former (of which I am a member), will buy the beautiful cover and look for something that will be reliable and serviceable over the long run. Obviously, it's to the vendor's advantage to promote The Next Big Thing and keep everybody shopping and upgrading. As long as consumers agree, the idea of long-term support for any given product will be little more than a pipe dream. For myself, I've been disillusioned by B&N over the past year. I was fortunate enough to buy my Nook from a young lady who was the poster child for customer service (and yes, I sent an e-mail of praise to B&N) and who knew everything. Since then, I've spoken to many other customer service reps in different stores with little success. As others have pointed out, they're just not well trained. I'm not thrilled with the NST at all - too many issues, connectivity, shelving, dictionary, etc. If I had to buy an e-reader tomorrow, I'm not sure what I would get, but the Nook would be at the bottom of my list. In addition, no more expensive covers or add-ons nor would I look for an expensive machine. If I have to plan on a new machine every few years, then low-end will be just fine. I have an iPad, so I just need a simple e-ink reader. Sorry for being long-winded, but I find the whole thing rather disheartening. I don't think gizmos should last forever, but I had hoped for 3 to 5 years. Hard copy books are really starting to look good again, especially since I can read what I already have (250+ books) on my computer or on my iPad. Just my 200 cents.
Frequent Contributor
bookie51
0 Kudos

Yup, the original is still doing fine, and as long as it does I will keep using it.  If it ain't broke, you may not want to fix it. 

Inspired Contributor
skinny12
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it? - Some random thoughts

HecubaYH wrote:
 Hard copy books are really starting to look good again, especially since I can read what I already have...

I got a N1E wifi for Christmas last year and read a lot on it. Then my wife found out in February that she was going to lose her job in October. When the time was getting close for her to be out of work, and no luck in finding anything else, I put the Nook away and found used hard backs of the Tom Clancy "Jack Ryan" series and a couple of others. I also loaded up on used paperbacks of the Bourne Series and all of the books by Vince Flynn. I got the used books in DTB form since they were all real cheap. Some of the hardbacks and paperbacks were only $1 a piece so I figured it saved a lot of cash by not spending at least $8 a piece or more for a Nook Book. My wife found a job a month after being laid off but I have a bookshelf full of books to read now. When all of my books are done I will continue with my Nook.

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

I am satisfied with original  too..:smileyhappy:

Contributor
yupon_ross
0 Kudos

I have the same problem, i.e. repeated software updates.  I have ahd about 5 or 6 in the last two days.  It is extremely annoying, since I have to rerigsiter the machine, download books, re-enter our house's wi fi key, which is quite complex, etc.  Can someone please tell me how to get out from under these never-ending software updates?

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Yes, I still love using my N--although I don't use it everyday as I did before the additions of the NC and NST to my NOOK family. 

The NST travels in my purse everywhere, just in case I have a few spare moments to read.

My NC and my N stay by my bed. (Occassionally, the NST gets into this mix, too)  I alternate reading on them at night.

All three NOOKs go on trips with me:  I usually stock up my N for someone else for reading on the trip; We use the NC as a tablet computer for web and email and for newspapers; I read on my NST.

This sounds soo sappy, but I could never give up my N. . . I named him!  Piccolo is my first NOOK and the only one in my NOOK family with a name.  I feel a special closeness to him. :heart:

Contributor
Vintage_Hippie
0 Kudos

I, too, was an early adopter.  I got mine Christmas '09 as well.  Never looked back.  I love mine just as it is and have no regrets.  I never use the 3G feature, but I never imagined I would when I got it....just wasn't a choice at the time. I bought it as a reading device, not a media consumption device, so I LOVE it just as it is.  My hubby wanted me to get a new one, but I said no.  However, my daughter did get the Tablet this year.  She likes it fine, but she's a media consumer, so it's more what she needed.   I'll not give mine up till it dies....but even then, I'll probably stay pretty basic.

Inspired Contributor
CriticalReception
0 Kudos

yupon_ross wrote:

I have the same problem, i.e. repeated software updates.  I have ahd about 5 or 6 in the last two days.  It is extremely annoying, since I have to rerigsiter the machine, download books, re-enter our house's wi fi key, which is quite complex, etc.  Can someone please tell me how to get out from under these never-ending software updates?

I would try manually downloading the 1.7 update and see if that works. Here are the directions for that.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-1st-Edition/379003193/

Distinguished Correspondent
GordonF
0 Kudos

I've happily been using my 3G since early 2010 with no problems.

I mean, I am a little disappointed I never had the bevel crack, but I can work past that. :smileyvery-happy:

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
Contributor
ChelMcQ
0 Kudos

I'm still happy with mine. Although I am nervous about the battery no longer being available for purchase.

I survived the Feb 12th Nook class!
Nook - Derry
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

ChelMcQ wrote:

I am nervous about the battery no longer being available for purchase.

The battery is widely available for purchase. On Amazon, there are a number of suppliers. I haven't looked elsewhere.

Contributor
ChelMcQ
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

ChelMcQ wrote:

I am nervous about the battery no longer being available for purchase.

The battery is widely available for purchase. On Amazon, there are a number of suppliers. I haven't looked elsewhere.

Thank you!

I survived the Feb 12th Nook class!
Nook - Derry
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

I have the original nook with 3g. Works fine and I still use it. Lack of updates since 1.7 from B&N means I will never by an other ereader from B&N since, to me, it makes the company untrustworthy if they can't support their own products.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

Lack of updates since 1.7 from B&N means I will never by an other ereader from B&N since, to me, it makes the company untrustworthy if they can't support their own products.

This comment makes no sense. How long should they support (with software updates) a product that is no longer manufactured, no longer sold in thier distribution channels (secondary & re-sale markets don't count), at that they officially said was being phased out over 7 months ago?

A year? 2? 5? 10? 20? Forever?

They are still honoring existing warranties, as well as providing customer and technical support on this device. That they won't spend the time and resources to come out with software improvements to a discontinued device is, then, somehow untrustworthy?

I don't get it. Please, explain.

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

RHWright,

I expressed my opinion. You don't have to agree with it at all. That's fine.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

We're all entitled to our opinions.

I took yours to boil down to: lack of updates on a discontinued item=an untrustworthy company

To me this sounds like 2+2=5.

It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. I can't parse the logic from your brief statement.

So, honestly, (not trying to be snarky or argumentative) could you expand on how you drew the conclusion that B&N is untrustworthy because they aren't planning anymore firmware updates for the N1E?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

I have the original nook with 3g. Works fine and I still use it. Lack of updates since 1.7 from B&N means I will never by an other ereader from B&N since, to me, it makes the company untrustworthy if they can't support their own products.

I'm still upset that Microsoft isn't supporting DOS any more.  I paid for it.  I guess I'll have to switch to Apple.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

I'm still upset that Microsoft isn't supporting DOS any more.  I paid for it.  I guess I'll have to switch to Apple.

But Apple doesn't support my Apple //e anymore so they're out! Maybe a Linux machine?

The Nook First Edition is a lot more recent than Microsoft DOS 6.22 (or Windows XP for that comparison).

The Nook Color and Tablet have a backlit display that's a lot more power hungry than eInk, less readable in brightly lit environments and bothers some people with the glare of its backlight. For those reasons some have much more preference for an e-Ink device. Unfortunately B&N replaced the First Edition with a new e-Ink model that lacks the replaceable battery, music/audio book and web browser capabilities. To many users the e-Ink touch screen isn't an adequate substitute for that downgrade.

The audio player and PDF support have a couple of serious deficiencies that a few kilobytes of code could cure. PDF needs zoom capability and the audio player badly needs folder and/or playlist support.

Don't forget how many books have audio editions. A device that supports e-Ink and audio books isn't that unreasonable.

GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

I bought N1E for my son before Christmas when they were on clearance.  The understanding is that if my N1E dies, I get his and I'll buy him the Touch or whatever is out at that time.