Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Arainais
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

I was, but I decided that I wanted to upgrade to a N2E and so I sold my N1E on ebay.  Surprisingly enough, it sold for 110$, and so I was able to buy a simple touch and now I am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

Frequent Contributor
JulieBulie
0 Kudos

Hi,

I also got mine on Christmas Eve, 2009 when they first came out for $249.00 (3g model).  I've never had a problem with it and use it every day. :smileyhappy: I'm a bit tempted by the nook tablet and a competitor's i-tablet but haven't made the move yet.  Regardless, I wouldn't give up my reader because of the long battery life and the ability to read outdoors.  Currently reading a Kristin Hannah book.

Julie

jmm
Contributor
jmm
0 Kudos

I received my First Edition for Xmas 2010--LOVE it!!!

I just gave a friend of mine a Simple Touch (I got tired of being the only Nookie in my book club--most of them have Kindles)--

I MUCH prefer my N1E to the Simple Touch--in trying to compete w/Amazon on battery life (does it really matter?  Just plug the thing in every few days!!!) Barnes & Noble did away with some of my favorite features!  

I love The Daily button--I can't wait to read the new Daybook by Steve King each morning--fascinating and interesting.  And Unbound--I don't have to go anywhere else to find out about Free Fridays or any other new items, etc--it's right there for me!!!

I have a feeling that someday I'll be forced to upgrade by B & N no longer supporting the N1E--but I hope that it's a long time from now!!!

Frequent Contributor
Bamrz
0 Kudos

I'm still using mine every single day and I love it! I even bought a refurb for a friend of mine, and she loves it too!

Never had any issues, except freezing a couple of times but that's no biggie. And I agree with others that don't plan on replacing it until it stops working.

I'm currently reading Game of Thrones.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - what a ride!!!
Reader
SashaIsNinja

Absolutely! I use it everyday. Got it for Christmas in 2010 and love it. I am reading the free Friday book The Pawn right now and love it. Bought a NE1 for my daughter shortly after I got mine. She loves hers too. I don't see any need to replace it. You get an e-reader to read, and it works great for that. I can play angry birds on my phone.

Contributor
lyntwhit
0 Kudos

Yes! Have had my N1E 3G/WiFi since March '10 and use it all the time. Prefer to read on it than DTB's or on anything else. Since then my husband now has a N1E wifi, my son a Nook Tablet, and my mil has a Nook touch and Nook tablet! Originally got mine with reading elibrary books in mind, and it's worked out great! Thank goodness for the Free Philadelphia Library!!!!

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I still use mine on a regular basis.  My significan other has one, too.  It works like a charm.  I also have the NST and I alternate between the devices because they sinc very well. 

Lector GS
Contributor
Hudson_Valley_Reader
0 Kudos

I just bought one for $40...not a mark on it...used only a few times.  I also have a nookcolor and will use this one for reading outside and on vacation.  I especially like the replaceable battery...and the daily.  I love it!

Frequent Contributor
lovemyereaders
0 Kudos

Yes, I still use mine, but have noticed that it has gotten very slow. I use it mainly to sideload books.
Contributor
misslia
0 Kudos

Yup still use mine got it may 2010 love it still I don't see myself buying another reader anytime soon
Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

I have had my NE1 since I got it as a Christmas present in 2010.....AND I STILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!  I read on it all the time...Ii have my kids reading on it (which is begining to present a problem :smileyhappy: ) and now my husband wants one!!  Too bad for him he can't have one :smileywink:  I guess he'll just have to go with the simple touch...but for me...I wouldn't trade my NE1 for ANYTHING!!!!!!!

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Contributor
KnitReader2010
0 Kudos

Still using it and I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it? - I Wish

I wish I was still using mine.  I enjoyed every feature it had to offer and read it every day.  However, a month or so ago the left side of the screen froze with a partial depiction of my screen saver.  Rebooting did not help and several calls to customer met no success.  The most frustrating thing is I purchased the two year warranty and it should still be in effect until May 8, 2012.  I have found that customer service cancelled my warranty back in October 2011.  Even with an escalation of the problem to a supervisor, I have not been able to get a replacement nook. At least, since it is 3G, I can still order books anywhere I want ... even if I can't read them.

Contributor
Mennolly
0 Kudos

Still using it and happy.  Had a ladies day at a resprt with a friend this weekend and she couldn't do a thing with her I-gadget by the pool, while I happily read .  I confess to an occasional bout of techno lust for something with color (impeding tip to Europe and long flight is sort of fueling that) or for the lighter Simple touch (bad shoulder and always trying to lighten up what I carry).   But not enough to give up my 3G, and to be real -- this does everythng I need day to day  and works just peachy!   

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Zeeker wrote:

The most frustrating thing is I purchased the two year warranty and it should still be in effect until May 8, 2012.  I have found that customer service cancelled my warranty back in October 2011.

How, exactly, did they do that without your permission?  If they did, sounds like you need to contact the Better Business Bureau or possibly your state Attorney General.  I'm pretty sure that ending a contract you paid for would be considered illegal.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

Zeeker wrote:

The most frustrating thing is I purchased the two year warranty and it should still be in effect until May 8, 2012.  I have found that customer service cancelled my warranty back in October 2011.

How, exactly, did they do that without your permission?  If they did, sounds like you need to contact the Better Business Bureau or possibly your state Attorney General.  I'm pretty sure that ending a contract you paid for would be considered illegal.

I do not know Zeeker's situation and I am not claiming that this is the case.

The extended warranty is good for one device replacement for accidental damage during the first year, or any device failure during the second "extended" year.

If Zeeker had his device replaced due to accidental damage in October of 2011, then that would have used up his one allowed replacement and the remainder of the warranty contract would have been cancelled.

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

Larry,  From what I read on the extended warranty, it states a replacement is still under warranty for 90 days or the life of the 2 year warranty (whichever is longer).  I saw nothing about one device replacement. 

The problem seems to stem because B&N customer service issued me a replacement in October which I 'refused and returned' because an issue I had was a store problem not a device problem.  Although they have acknowledged that I still have my original device and returned the replacement, my account still shows the warranty cancelled.     

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Zeeker wrote:

Larry,  From what I read on the extended warranty, it states a replacement is still under warranty for 90 days or the life of the 2 year warranty (whichever is longer).  I saw nothing about one device replacement. 

The problem seems to stem because B&N customer service issued me a replacement in October which I 'refused and returned' because an issue I had was a store problem not a device problem.  Although they have acknowledged that I still have my original device and returned the replacement, my account still shows the warranty cancelled.     

Yes, your replacement is covered for the balance of the original warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer.
Your extended warranty, which is the only one that covers accidental damage, is only good for 1 replacement. If you dig into the fine print of the warranty you will find it.
In your case it seems that B&N has screwed up and charged you for your 1 replacement when they did not in fact replace the device.

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it? - Warranty issue

Thanks for your interest Larry.  I just got off the phone with customer service .... again ... 3rd or 4th call on this issue, I forget.  The last call was about 3 weeks ago and they apologized for their mistake and told me it would be corrected in 48-72 hours.  I guess 24 hours equals a week, because it has not been acted upon even though it was escalated.  Now they want me to call back again in another 48 hours.

Any lawyers out there with warranty/customer service experience? 

Correspondent
JackalopeKing
0 Kudos

I'm still using mine. My parents each have the Tablet, but I love my NE1 and don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. :smileyhappy: