Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
LectorGS

[N1E] Are we still using it?

[ Edited ]

It has been a while since a lot of N1E owners praised the glories of the first member of the Nook family.  The question is:  How many of us are still using this device? 

I still read on it and now that I am finally able to connect to wi-fi, I am very satisfied with its enhanced performance. 

What have you been reading on it lately?  How many of you nook members have purchased the N1E for $89.00? 

Lector GS
Frequent Contributor
iharley
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

Happily reading on my Nook 1E. I'm reading everything on it, but currently George R. R. Martin's latest.

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

I've got the NE1/3g in addition to the Nook Color and the NE2. I love them all and they all have different purposes. Like the NE1 when I travel because of the 3g and because sometimes I just want to take a break from reading and play a game (I'm a sudoku junkie). The Color is perfect for my magazines. The NE2 is great to bung in a handbag and go. Can't justify getting rid of any of them.

Big reason I originally bought the Nook over the K-thing is the replaceable battery. Well B&N has killed that. I also like the free reading in store, which I have participated in quite a bit, results in the purchase of quite a few books.

Nerdgirljenn

I'm still very happy with my N1E...took to B&N today to browse some books...

I LOVE my Nook...I'm one who really likes the LCD screens.  I will keep using it until it no longer runs...

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

LectorGS wrote:

It has been a while since a lot of N1E owners praised the glories of the first member of the Nook family.  The question is:  How many of us are still using this device? 

I still read on it and now that I am finally able to connect to wi-fi, I am very satisfied with its enhanced performance. 

What have you been reading on it lately?  How many of you nook members have purchased the N1E for $89.00? 

Have had mine for about 11 mos now and still love it! Just back from yet another vacation where I read it on the plane, by the pool, etc. Have had ZERO problems (which I say at the risk of jinxing myself!:smileyvery-happy: )

LisaB

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

My N1E is still getting used, though not by me. I passed it on to my 10 year old son, though my 7 year old daughter has used it more than my son. She just read Dr. Doolittle and loved it. She was weirded out by not having pages or illustrations (I got my copy of Doolittle from Gutenberg, so it's text only), but that lasted all of 5 minutes before she got pulled into the story. She read the entire book in 2 days. My son has some paper library books and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books he still has to read through, so once he's finished those I think he'll pick the N1E back up again. My husband (the non-reader) has even expressed a desire to start reading on it. 

I've moved on to my N2E, which I love!!

Correspondent
ShazInNV
0 Kudos

I got my Nook 1E as a refurb for $80 plus $5 shipping in Feb and love it. I have about 200 Nook books and probably 50 epub books on it. It's an addiction. I read on it daily and love the wifi access. No complaints.
gobasso
0 Kudos

I was one of the first N1E users. Got mine the day before Christmas in '09. Still use it mostly 'cause I'm cheap and don't buy new stuff unless the old stuff is broken, which it isn't. Sometimes I wish I had waited till the price went dowe etc. but then I remember all the pleasure I've had with my NOOK over the past two years. Still read DTB but my NOOK has its place in my reading choices.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I own a Nook and Nook color, and I still  do most of my reading on my Nook rather then the color which I bought more for magazine publications being in color and surfing the net.  But, I read my 1st ed. Nook for my book reading.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
nathan_kull

Love the N1E and don't intend to upgrade it --- I've tried it in the store and just like my old one better.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I use mine 24/7. Never put it down. I'm posting with it. :smileyvery-happy:. I thought about the new one but no 3G or web browser no deal.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I've had my N1E since January 2010 and I use it every day.  And it's still the original, never had to be replaced for anything, never have an issues with it.  I have a NC, which I bought to play around with, but I still read almost exclusively on my N1E, I prefer eInk.

I like the concept of the N2E, the size would be much better for carrying around with me, and the battery life sounds wonderful also, but there are a couple of deal breakers for me right now,  the way shelves are handled, (and no unshelved shelf) and the separate wishlists.  

So I'm keeping and using my N1E until it breaks or I find something I like better.  Oh and I do like having 3G.

RJR443

[ Edited ]

I no longer use my 1st Edition.  It's not going unused, though.  I updated to the  (IMO) vastly superior 2nd Edition. This left me with an unused one sitting around.  So I sent it to a needy friend, who's delighted to be giving it a good home.

Frequent Contributor
reedfam
0 Kudos

I still use mine daily!! I just bought a SD card for it. My 9 yo really wants one. The $89 price tag may make it good for a Christmas present!!

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Sure am.   I actully left mine in the seatback of a plane and refused to buy the N2 for a while until I got the call that they had it (they did).   I'm just not ready to let go.   Maybe X-mas.  Love my N1.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Yes, I still use mine and love it.  I will have to admit I haven't downloaded the latest update as there were so many people with problems after downloading it.  I haven't had any problems with my nook and love it. I also gave two of the originals to my daughters when I bought mine.  Both had the cracked bezel problem and as I purchased them with a credit card I was able to get them replaced for free.  One got the 2nd edition and my other daughter is waiting for the new nook color to come out.  So far mine is still doing fine.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

I'm still using mine, it is the only one I have and still works fine.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

I still have mine and still use it though not as often as I use my NC and N2E.  Once I notice I no longer use it at all I will probaly hand it down to a friend of mine who enjoys reading but is on an extremely tight budget (she lives off of disability which barely covers her rent) but I'm not not ready to give it up just yet.

Frequent Contributor
CatsRUs
0 Kudos

Yes, *we* still use and are quite happy with the N1 3G/Wifi.  :smileyhappy:

My Nook was a gift from Santa last year, when it was $199.

No freakin' way I'm going to replace it.  The recession has removed all wiggle room for extras.  I'm just so grateful I own a Nook, instead of hopelessly longing for a Nook.