Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
altreco
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it?

My Nook? THE Nook? Still using N1E...still love it!  I have the deluxe model with (useless) web browser that I bought the weekend before the wifi only version came out, but they gave me a bunch of gift cards to make up for the cost difference...no harm no foul.

I bought the Nook and fell in love with the e-ink reader.  That was a great way to read on a screen, no backlighting to strain your eyes.  Now with color tablets everywhere, you might almost feel like a Luddite for not reading in color! LOL thats ok because my Nook is a task specific, task perfect device. Whether I'm reading a "trashy spy novel" or Dickens-downloaded for freethankyouverymuchBN! I really just want to read. Color is distracting and hard on my eyes.

Maybe I'll buy a tablet, but it won't be for reading.  That's what my N1E is for!

Reader
beckie66
0 Kudos

Yep!  Every day!  I got mine for Christmas last year :smileyhappy:  I actually borrowed a Nook Color from my local library, and I just didn't care for it.  But I would by a refurbished one for my son, just because it is a pretty cool eReader and more.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I loved my N1E so much, I got an N2E.

I haven't read on my N1E since I opened my birthday present this year, but it's not going to be forgotten.  I've reset to factory settings and reinstalled the v1.7 update.

I'm going to sideload a handful of books I think my Mom might like and give it to her; she always says she wishes she loved to read like I do.  Maybe this will turn her into a reader?

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

My N1E has exactly what I want, 3g for travel, replaceable battery, way to turn pages without getting screen dirty.....

I was planning to get a N2E for the long battery life and fact it would lighten my case even more - but a few days before my birthday B&N put some material in my library without asking if I wanted it.... I'd have forgiven them if they had removed it as promised (asked, waited a week, asked again, still waiting...). So now I am wondering if I should hedge my bets and try out other options (since they all seem to be going no 3g, touchscreen ...)

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

BooperFH wrote:

Happily reading on my NE1 3g wifi since Christmas 2009 with no problems. I recently bought a spare battery in case this conks out and they are hard to find. I intend to keep using my NE1 until it is no more.

Currently reading Jeffery Deaver's "Edge"

I just did the same thing regarding a spare battery :smileyvery-happy: 

Inspired Contributor
altreco
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Are we still using it? Battery Question

I haven't looked in to this, but of course it could become an issue.  Where do you get spare batteries?

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

altreco wrote:

I haven't looked in to this, but of course it could become an issue.  Where do you get spare batteries?

B&N sells them. My local store always seems to have a supply with the nook accessories. Best Buy also carries them. You can also get them at Amazon and probably other places, and likely cheaper than B&N. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

altreco wrote:

You can buy replacement NOOK batteries from:

1) Banes and Noble website

2) Barnes and Noble retail locations

3) Amazon

4) Best Buy

5) Ebay

Many many more

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I was an N1E early adopter (I ordered Nov 2009) and my N1E arrived in January 2010.  It had a buggy touchscreen but I just assumed that it needed a software update.  Well, that update never came, but I kept using my N1E anyway.

Then the N2E came out and fulfilled all my ereader dreams.  :smileyhappy:  I kept my N1E as a backup and never gave it away or sold it because of the buggy screen.  It's still under warranty (I bought the 2-year one) so maybe I'll see if I can exchange it for an N2E this fall.

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

I still love my N1E w/3G that I got in January, 2010.  I just bought a NC last week, but I think i prefer the N1E.  The problem is lately it has been doing crazy things, like downloading a book six times, or not downloading a book at all.  How do you know when you need a new battery? Could that be my issue?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

I still love my N1E w/3G that I got in January, 2010.  I just bought a NC last week, but I think i prefer the N1E.  The problem is lately it has been doing crazy things, like downloading a book six times, or not downloading a book at all.  How do you know when you need a new battery? Could that be my issue?

I do not believe a battery issue can explain the problems you are experiencing.

Have you down a full reboot yet.

If not I suggest holding the power button on top down until your NOOK shuts down completely (white screen) and then pull the battery for an hour or so just to be sure everything resets.

The power back up and see if your problems are still occurring.

If you are still having problems then you will probably need to do a factory reset, but try the procedure above first since a factory reset is a real pain in the a**.

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

I do not believe a battery issue can explain the problems you are experiencing.

Have you down a full reboot yet.

If not I suggest holding the power button on top down until your NOOK shuts down completely (white screen) and then pull the battery for an hour or so just to be sure everything resets.

The power back up and see if your problems are still occurring.

If you are still having problems then you will probably need to do a factory reset, but try the procedure above first since a factory reset is a real pain in the a**.

I thought that might be what I would have to do, but I am rather hesitant to pull the battery, since I've never done it before and I really don't know what I'm doing!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

There's no need to remove the battery unless the battery needs replacing.

To reboot a NOOK 1E, turn it off by holding the power button down for 20 seconds. Then turn it back on.

Distinguished Correspondent
AikiPen
0 Kudos

N2 is giving me a 'low on storage space' message at 493 books, N1 is still happy with close to 900. Love my N2 but N1 is making me happy right now. (Oh and you can't seem to get rid of the message).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

To reboot a NOOK 1E, turn it off by holding the power button down for 20 seconds. Then turn it back on.

Doug,

I agree with you, but so many people seem to not hold down the power button long enough and end up just putting the NOOK to sleep instead of rebooting it (which of course won't solve anything).

If the battery gets pulled then we who try to help them can be sure they got a true full reboot.

NOTE to all NOOK Second Edition, aka N2E, aka NOOK Simple Touch owners, my advice to pull the battery is for owners of the original first edition NOOK (with the color touch screen at the bottom). The  battery on your N2E is not intended to be user serviceable.

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital

[ Edited ]

Oh YES! I love my N1E. I like it FAR FAR better than the Nook Color or NE2. One reason is easily replaceable battery (not to mention I can have people sign my back cover and take it off replacing it with a new blank one for "everyday use". Also I have found that the speed is the same (or just about and not really worth noticing). I like the e-ink of course and not to mention 3g. Oh and the ability to play music with the mp3 player which I do on occasion while I read or listen to pod casts.

The only thing I would change (well 2 things) is have the ability to show covers in My Documents, never could understand why that was never offered (it does show them when you pull up the book itself so it is capable of doing so easily). And it would be VERY nice if when we place a book on shelves it doesn't turn ON shelves by default. I often like to look though books and place them on shelves but look at the books info before I do. Going back and forth and with shelves turned on it shifts the list and I have to turn them back off. Granted I could look at "unshelved" but I usually find myself looking at my library without shelves on and think "oh I need to put this book here and that book there".

I know of course I am whistling in the wind since B&N have said that there will be no more feature updates, which I don't understand why these two items couldn't be done, they should be very simple. Oh well. Perhaps I will end up rooting my NE1 sometime to get more features at some point. :smileysad:  Oh btw anyone know where I could get a spare NE1 3g?

Contributor
narret

YES every day!  My N1 3g took a swim, so I purchased another N1 last month.  Guess what my original N1 dried out is is working just fine so I have 2 N1's.  BTW my local store was selling both the N1 and the N1 3g.   I did not use the 3g so saved a few bucks there. 

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I have rebooted several times, and there are still three books that show up about 9 times each.  I have tried achiving and  unarchiving these books and still no luck.  I have an NC so I don't need them on my N1E, but when I archive them on the N1E, it also does so on the NC, so I guess I'm stuck with them.

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I have rebooted several times, and there are still three books that show up about 9 times each.  I have tried achiving and  unarchiving these books and still no luck.  I have an NC so I don't need them on my N1E, but when I archive them on the N1E, it also does so on the NC, so I guess I'm stuck with them.

If you are seeing several books repeating themselves, I have seen this as well with one other book.  It was a cookbook if I remember correctly.  I also tried unarchiving and rearchiving to no avail.  It didn't repeat 9 times though, more like 5 or 6.  Only had it happen with the one book in question, I think it is a glitch with B&N's servers.  I haven't tried a full unregistering/factory reset/brain wipe but for one book the issue is not worth it at this point.  I have also tried full power off and letting it set as well without success.

-DB

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

DBDigital wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

If you are seeing several books repeating themselves, I have seen this as well with one other book.  It was a cookbook if I remember correctly.  I also tried unarchiving and rearchiving to no avail.  It didn't repeat 9 times though, more like 5 or 6.  Only had it happen with the one book in question, I think it is a glitch with B&N's servers.  I haven't tried a full unregistering/factory reset/brain wipe but for one book the issue is not worth it at this point.  I have also tried full power off and letting it set as well without success.

-DB

DBDigital wrote:

seasanddollar wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

-DB

I have a feeling it has something to do with the particular books, also.  I guess I'll just wait it out.