Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
Targon
0 Kudos

[N1E]: B&N Supporting our N1E-Revisited

While I am glad to hear that B&N will continue to support the N1E, can you tell us if that does or doesn't include updates to the software on the N1E? I think right now most people that have the older Nook would just like to know if the support does include this.

I know that this question has been brought up numerous times, but with the retirement of the N1E and SLevine's post that B&N will continue to support it an answer to the type of support would be helpful.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E]: B&N Supporting our N1E-Revisited

If BN is smart they will at least do something to allow N1E users to access the MyNook.com portal.  Increasing their installed base for something like that would be in their best interest and limiting it to those with new Nooks would be short sighted.  If such access is integrated into the NC and the Nook touch they should integrate it into the N1E.  Again, this would be in their own interest as more users for a new functionality should be better for BN.  Also, integrating the book recommendatioins should be a minimum.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

From Sam's original post:

"Warranties and extended warranties will continue as to their terms (one year for Manufacturer’s warranty and two years for the Barnes & Noble Extended Protection Plan) and will be supported via our Customer Service: in-store, online through digital chat and My NOOK™ as well as 1800-THE-BOOK."

Does that mean it will work with MyNOOK?

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I too am curious about this. I joined here just so I could ask this question as a matter of fact.

I realize I may be the one and only person on the planet who at times has to use the 3G connection with my Nook. But I do use it occasionally.

Since I new I would need it on occasion I paid an extra $50 for it, $199 as opposed to $149.

Does anyone know if B&N and ATT will continue their partnership so the 3G connection will still be there even after the 3G is formally discontinued?

If not, I think I'd like my $50  back. :smileyhappy:

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

My personal opinion is I think support comes down to two types of activities:

1) Support from the perspective that if you have a question, an issue, a problem you can call B&N and get someone to say 'yes, I can help you with that'.  I cannot (for example) call Microsoft any longer and discuss issues I may have with my original xbox.  1 year or so after the xbox 360 came out they stopped offering any type of support via the phone, web site etc.

My personal opinion -> This I HOPE will continue at least for another 1-2 years.  I would suspect it will not be forever.  With staff turnover etc in 3-4 years you cannot expect B&N to still have a deep enough staff to know about the gen 1 device

2) Support for future software releases (i.e. keep developing and rolling out releases.  adding mynook.com portal.  new games maybe?  other minor updates....)

My opinion ->I could see them MAYBE having 1 -2 more releases.  I can also see them being done and stopping with release 1.5.  I myself am 100% fine with the current way it operates.  Meets my needs 100%.  not really anything more they would add I would care about.  May not be the same for others, but for ME I do not need more games (never play them).  I do not need a better way to highlight (never use it).  I do not need a way to look books up in a dictionary better.  I would rather B&N not use the $$$ to work on more minor fluff items and instead keep the $ so they can be along a lot longer. 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

ynot22 wrote:

I too am curious about this. I joined here just so I could ask this question as a matter of fact.

I realize I may be the one and only person on the planet who at times has to use the 3G connection with my Nook. Bit I do use it.

Since I new I would need it on occasion I paid an extra $50 for it, $199 as opposed to $149.

Does anyone know if B&N and ATT will continue their partnership so the 3G connection will still be there even after the 3G is formally discontinued?

If not, I think I'd like my $50  back. :smileyhappy:

A lot of peple have had the same ?.  Nobody has seen a definate "B&N will support 3g for 2 more years" or anything like that.  My personal guess is they will support it for at least another few years.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

If BN is smart they will at least do something to allow N1E users to access the MyNook.com portal.  

This has already been confirmed.  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N1E-B-amp-N-Supporting-our-N1E/m-p/10...

SLevine:

Hi All-

Judging by the heated discussion on this board since the N2E has been announced, I can tell that you all are clearly passionate about your N1E devices.  I too own a N1E, so I know how you feel!

B&N will continue to support our entire family of NOOK products. In fact, a big differentiator for NOOK vs. other competitive eReader and tablet products is our customer service.  We call it “The Barnes & Noble Promise.” 

Warranties and extended warranties will continue as to their terms (one year for Manufacturer’s warranty and two years for the Barnes & Noble Extended Protection Plan) and will be supported via our Customer Service: in-store, online through digital chat and My NOOK™ as well as 1800-THE-BOOK.

Between our highly trained customer service team, and our 40 thousand booksellers, we can teach, demo, trouble-shoot and add value to the customer experience beyond what any other company in consumer electronics and digital media can do today.

As to future sofware updates, I'll bet you my NOOK there won't be any.  It's highly unusual for inexpensive, older, consumer electronics to receive upgrades once they've been replaced and retired.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's likely we'll get the "through any computer" access to My Nook, rather than a special interface on the N1E. Just hope the sight will be mobile friendly, and then we can sue the >awesome< beta browser on N1E to access it.:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

It's likely we'll get the "through any computer" access to My Nook, rather than a special interface on the N1E. 

I figured this was a given.  :smileytongue:

(And I amend my previous post.  Allowing this might require one more update so there may be a v1.6.

I bet my NOOK that there will be no significant functionality added/features changed in v1.6 other than that required to sync to MY NOOK in order   :smileywink:)

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

My apologies. I'm a pretty new Nook owner and I'm sorry to say I am not familiar with the aforementioned "My Nook."

What is it? What does it do for us and where can I read up on it?

Again, please pardon my ignorance. I'm as green as grass in the springtime when it comes to the Nook.

Thank you.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ynot22 wrote:

My apologies. I'm a pretty new Nook owner and I'm sorry to say I am not familiar with the aforementioned "My Nook."

No apologies necessary.  

As for what it is?  None of us really know.  It hasn't launched yet and there have been bits and pieces of info suggesting that it might allow us to sync highlights and annotations, get book recommendations, shelve in the cloud.  No official documentation has been released that I have found, but it was mentioned and briefly previewed during the NOOK press conference yesterday. 

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

ynot22 wrote:

No apologies necessary.  

As for what it is?  None of us really know.  It hasn't launched yet and there have been bits and pieces of info suggesting that it might allow us to sync highlights and annotations, get book recommendations, shelve in the cloud.  No official documentation has been released that I have found, but it was mentioned and briefly previewed during the NOOK press conference yesterday. 

from the B&N website (below in italics) - not that much more helpful but this is the description.  It sounds a LOT like a way to go onto any PC and on top of getting to your books also manage your nook friends, see recommendations etc which is new to the new nook. 

My NOOK™- Coming soon!

MY NOOK™ lets you access everything NOOK online, from any computer: Shopping, recommendations, your library, NOOK Friends™ and more. It’s a fast and easy way to manage it all, so your NOOK is always ready to go with great reads!

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, the marketing blurb doesn't answer any real questions.

Does "your library" include "My Documents" or just "My B&N Library"? Amazon includes the ability to store books obtained from elsewhere (they even convert various document types for you) "in the cloud" where you can access the documents from any of your "devices".

Are shelves synced? This is the number one complaint about the otherwise great feature added in 1.5.

What about bookmarks and annotations/notes? Are they synced? This is something else Amazon does well.

We'll find out soon enough, but right now we have more questions than answers.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Reader 4
Targon
0 Kudos

Getting some of the new features that the N2E and Color Nook will have would be a reason for a software update. But either B&N has been working on an update to 1.5 or they knew that the new Nook was being developed and stoped all work on updating the software. I would just like to know where they stand.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

sirwillard wrote:

Unfortunately, the marketing blurb doesn't answer any real questions.

Does "your library" include "My Documents" or just "My B&N Library"? Amazon includes the ability to store books obtained from elsewhere (they even convert various document types for you) "in the cloud" where you can access the documents from any of your "devices".

Nallia mentioned something somewhere else about the partitioning that (unless I misunderstood, which is possible) made her believe that sideloaded documents will still be treated differently than B&N content, so I think that this will be a no.

As for the others, the only the only feature I'd really, really like to see is the shelves syncing to the cloud.  I've never set them up after receiving a refurb replacement because if I change my password, my email address, have to unregister because of a defective download I'd have to do it again.  Great feature, but too fragile.

Probably the best corporate decision, though, would be to get the highlights/annotations features to sync to the cloud.  Right now N1E is possibly the best ereader for leisure and fiction reading but Kindle (maybe the others?) definitely beats it for any nonfiction or academic reading.  (And this seems to be comonly accepted knowledge in the consumer world.) 

Until NOOK annotations and highlights aren't so fragile, they're pretty useless.  I hate to recommend Kindle (primarily because it's an Amazon product and secondarily because of its choice of proprietary format) but I do it any time someone wants to use an ereader for nonfiction, academic reading or Bible study,  Between heavily annotated/highlighted books "crashing", unnamed notes and highlights and no provision for exporting them, NOOK (all platforms) is approaching useless for the above.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

@Ya_Ya: I agree with most of the sentiments, and most of the speculation as well. I know that the sideloaded documents and the B&N library are still partitioned. That just makes sense, even for the end user (though this is an end user complaint anyway). However, just because they are partitioned doesn't mean there can't be cloud storage and syncing for sideloaded books. That said, I doubt B&N follows Amazon on this one. Allowing the user to store their sideloaded documents in the cloud would require significant backend infrastructure that I can't see B&N investing in. It would be a pleasant surprise to be proved wrong, but I'm not expecting this feature.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Right now N1E is possibly the best ereader for leisure and fiction reading but Kindle (maybe the others?) definitely beats it for any nonfiction or academic reading.  (And this seems to be comonly accepted knowledge in the consumer world.) 

Until NOOK annotations and highlights aren't so fragile, they're pretty useless.  I hate to recommend Kindle (primarily because it's an Amazon product and secondarily because of its choice of proprietary format) but I do it any time someone wants to use an ereader for nonfiction, academic reading or Bible study,  Between heavily annotated/highlighted books "crashing", unnamed notes and highlights and no provision for exporting them, NOOK (all platforms) is approaching useless for the above.

I don't see what the problem is with the N1E's handling of nonfiction.  About 50% of my reading is nonfiction and I have no complaints with the way it's displayed on the Nook.

I agree that the Nook is not ideal for taking notes, but I wouldn't want to take notes on the Kindle3's so-called keyboard either.  Instead I would use my laptop or desktop PC, with their real keyboards.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

I don't see what the problem is with the N1E's handling of nonfiction.  About 50% of my reading is nonfiction and I have no complaints with the way it's displayed on the Nook.

I agree that the Nook is not ideal for taking notes, but I wouldn't want to take notes on the Kindle3's so-called keyboard either.  Instead I would use my laptop or desktop PC, with their real keyboards.

I was generalizing.  If you're reading nonfiction it works just like fiction.  My experience has been that people are more likely to annotate/highlight/markup nonfiction than fiction.  I guess I could have been clearer.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I guess we will find out what MyNook is around the release date of the Nook STR.  If BN is intending to do an update to the N1E to access that portal, it will probably come out around then to have the largest installed base possible and make the site meaningful.

And I agree about non-fiction books.  I only read them for study and the lack of note-taking ability (OK its there but it might as well not be it is so awful) means the only non-fiction I read on my nook is the Bible.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

sirwillard wrote:

@Ya_Ya: I agree with most of the sentiments, and most of the speculation as well. I know that the sideloaded documents and the B&N library are still partitioned. That just makes sense, even for the end user (though this is an end user complaint anyway). However, just because they are partitioned doesn't mean there can't be cloud storage and syncing for sideloaded books. That said, I doubt B&N follows Amazon on this one. Allowing the user to store their sideloaded documents in the cloud would require significant backend infrastructure that I can't see B&N investing in. It would be a pleasant surprise to be proved wrong, but I'm not expecting this feature.

On the NOOK Color, sideloaded books are stored separately but show up in shelves along with the B&N ebooks.  Based on the demo videos of the N2E, it looks as if it's using the same ereader/library software as the NC. 

If MyNOOK allows shelving in the cloud, I can only hope that it will also allow us to "tag" our sideloaded ebooks with the correct shelves as well as our B&N ebooks.