Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Liana35
0 Kudos

N1E: How Long Do They Last?

I need my fellow NOOK lovers' opinions. I've had my NOOK 1st edition for almost a year and a half now, and it's beginning to slow down and not hold a charge for as long as it once did. I still love it, and it works well to an extent, but I wonder how long it will last.

How long do they really last? Should I possibly begin at least considering replacing it with a NOOK Color, perhaps? I hear all sorts of stories that after a year or so most Nooks' bezzles crack or something... Just want to be ahead of the game and not wait until my NOOK is completely inoperable and can't sell it. Thanks!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: N1E: How Long Do They Last?

Liana35 wrote:

I need my fellow NOOK lovers' opinions. I've had my NOOK 1st edition for almost a year and a half now, and it's beginning to slow down and not hold a charge for as long as it once did. I still love it, and it works well to an extent, but I wonder how long it will last.

How long do they really last? Should I possibly begin at least considering replacing it with a NOOK Color, perhaps? I hear all sorts of stories that after a year or so most Nooks' bezzles crack or something... Just want to be ahead of the game and not wait until my NOOK is completely inoperable and can't sell it. Thanks!

Like ALL electronic devices it varies.

My 22 Month old NOOK 1E 3G/WiFI is still going strong. THere is no sign of a bezel crack even though I've been using the page turn buttons almost exclusively (only swiped during the first couple of months).

My daughters 11 month old NOOK 1E WiFi just developed a screen problem and I called B&N tech support. They were very responsive (I spent no time on hold) and courteous and are sending a replacement NOOK.

Question for anyone who has been through this process:

I gave a credit card number for rapid replacement and received the RMA number and return shipping label by email within 5 minutes, but have not received any shipping notification yet. Should I have received this and how long should it take?

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

A couple tips:

If you are looking to sell it to help defer the cost of a newer device, then you may only need to replace the battery which you CAN do on a N1E.  They do run about $30, so that may affect your costs for reselling.

If you want to continue using it yourself than buying a new battery is a great investment.  The device itself should last quite awhile and if your bezel does crack it is only cosmetic and does not affect operation.

If you are looking to switch to a NookColor or Nook Tablet, make sure you are okay with the eInk --> LCD switch also.  They are great devices but there is certainly a preference for screen technology for some people.

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

I replaced my battery, and my old N1 was like new for a while, beofer it died....at 12 months of age.    I got a refurb replacment, which is going well with the new battery.  I have just given it to my daughter, and replaced my it with the STR, which is outrageously good...the best out there IMO.   But I anticipate that my daughter's N1 will still be going next year at this time.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Liana35 wrote:

it's beginning to slow down and not hold a charge for as long as it once did.

For the slow-down, you probably just need to reboot it. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds to shut it all the way down, then turn it back on.

For the charge-holding, you probably just need to replace the battery. You can buy new ones at Best Buy or B&N, or there are less-expensive ones available on Amazon.

The main things that limit the life of this kind of electronics are dropping and water. Or being dropped in water. :smileysurprised:

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

Have had mine for 14 months and still going strong. I say you have nothing to worry about.

Frequent Contributor
bookie51
0 Kudos

I've had mine for 14 months, so far, doing well, trouble free.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I have had my N1 for one year this Christmas, I have had no problems at all.  :smileyhappy:  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

My 3g nook is just a week shy of 2 years old.  I think print is lighter, battery might not be lasting as long, but no other problems.  I purchased it when I retired and I have really done some heavy reading in those 2 years.  Never had the cracked bezel problems.  Only had it to freeze up once during the first few months and shutting it down and restarting it took care of that problem.  

I did just buy the Nook Tablet and I love it.  I am keeping my N1 for reading in the pool next summer.  I have a special water resistant case for that purpose.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Got mine Feb. 2010 and its just now starting to act up. I have to manually put it to sleep cause if I leave it alone to fall asleep, it'll wake itself up. Normally I don't mind but it does get annoying when I pull it out to read and it's almost out of power. 

Question for all here. Should I keep mine and just get spare batteries to keep it going? Or go get a new N1E? I don't want the others because I bought an Oberon cover in summer so I'd hate to have a $60+ book cover go to waist. Also mine is out of warrenty and when I first got it, I couldn't afford the extended warrenty. This time if I get a new one I'd make sure I'd get the extended warrenty. 

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Mine is 13 months old and still, in many ways, my favorite over my dual boot NC.  My home WiFi connection can be a problem, but I've never had a problem if I use the N1E 3G option.  Even if I show only 1 bar of connection strength, I can connect and download easily. No cracked bezel.  I installed a micro SD when I first bought it and it's still empty!  I have almost 500 active titles on it and lots of space.  Love it!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

It will last until it doesn't.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Like all electronic devices, the manufacturer expects it to last as long as the warranty period.  In this case that is 1 year. 

I have had mine since Father's Day 2010 and I think it works as well today as the day it came out of the box...but I am a casual reader and don't use it every day.  I have no bezel cracks and the battery seems to keep its charge well.

And I prefer the design of the N1E to any other nook out there.

Contributor
CharlesC
0 Kudos

I bought my 3G/Wifi in March 2010. Got the cracked bezel in November 2010. Sent it to B&N got a refurb replacement in January 2011 (the customer service leaves a little to be desired). That one is still going strong with no sign of cracking, screen problems, battery issues, etc. I hope to keep this one going as long as I can, because I love the 3G. If I finish a book while on the bus on the way to or from work, I can get something else right away instead of having to wait to get home for Wifi with nothing to read for the rest of the trip. My understanding is that they don't sell the 3G model anymore and also don't replace broken 3G models with refurbed 3G, just Wifi. I'll just superglue the thing if I have to :smileyhappy:.

Inspired Contributor
BooperFH
0 Kudos

It will be 2 years this Christmas for me with my NE1. I have not had any problems and have already bought a back up battery for down the road. I find the eink a very soothing read.

Contributor
xliderider
0 Kudos

Our N1E is 2.5 years old and has a cracked bezel.  I put a piece of clear packing tape over the bezel where the crack is to keep the two pieces together and I also have a silicone cover on the N1E, so the cracked bezel isn't really a problem.

Other than that, it is going strong.  Can go 4-5 days per charge on it.

Inspired Contributor
moemac
0 Kudos

I've had mine for almost two years and I have never had a problem. I still only chanrge it once a week and read it daily on my commute. I hope mine never dies.

"Don't parse the blurb"
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I've had mine since it first came out and still works fine.  Love it and hope it lasts forever!  My daughters got theirs at the same time, but did have cracked bezels.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've had mine for a year now and it works like a charm.  Its battery life is still good and the characters on the screen are crisp.  The bezels are in excellent shape and I am still using the original battery that came with it. 

It was a good purchase. 

Lector GS