Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BillK
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

What I want the most....  The ability to read the magazines I subscribe to on my NC. 

They show up in My Library on the classic, but fail to load.

Is this supported in the nook v2?

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I called B&N customer support and the man with whom I spoke said the he does not foresee any new updates for the "old" device since the Nook 2 seems to be the the only e-ink device that they will be supporting, for obvious reasons.  However, he also said that B&N will always provide trouble-shooting support to all the devices they have created.

Lector GS
Contributor
DeathMoJo
0 Kudos

I'd like to see one more update at least, i know the Nook 1 is at its end.  It already isn't even part of the headline on B&N.com, and the certified pre-owned is gone. 

I'd like to see an ability to organize music if you have it, instead of just being all in one list and to improve the page turning slightly as sometimes it doesn't respond to my swipe to change the page.

U.S. Navy
Contributor
Aathroser
0 Kudos

Re: New announcement

spartanhooah wrote:

Depending on how the new Nook handles pdfs, I'll likely try to pawn off my old one for that sexiness. The new way to look up words alone is such an improvement.

As much as I adored my nook "classic" 3G I knew I wanted the new one. It had absolutely everything I needed. The nook 3G had everything I needed then, compared to competition, but now that there are more ereaders, there are more "niche" readers, and it is perfect for me.

I sold my 3G nook with a case (because the new one will need a case anyways) and got $150 for it. The new nook is $150.42 with tax and free shipping. Essentially, I upgraded for 42 cents. If you are thinking of upgrading, do it now while they still fetch a good price.

I am at an advantage, since I steal my boyfriend's nook while he is at work, so I still have my books. :smileytongue:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: New announcement

Aathroser wrote:

spartanhooah wrote:

Depending on how the new Nook handles pdfs, I'll likely try to pawn off my old one for that sexiness. The new way to look up words alone is such an improvement.

As much as I adored my nook "classic" 3G I knew I wanted the new one. It had absolutely everything I needed. The nook 3G had everything I needed then, compared to competition, but now that there are more ereaders, there are more "niche" readers, and it is perfect for me.

I sold my 3G nook with a case (because the new one will need a case anyways) and got $150 for it. The new nook is $150.42 with tax and free shipping. Essentially, I upgraded for 42 cents. If you are thinking of upgrading, do it now while they still fetch a good price.

I am at an advantage, since I steal my boyfriend's nook while he is at work, so I still have my books. :smileytongue:

Depending on where you live.  It cost me $144.70.  :smileywink:

Reader 2
horsefactory

Re: N1E: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

If they are not planning on updating the original Nook device any further, would it be possible to get the software open sourced? I've only had my nook classic for about 6 months now and not planning to get a new one just yet - but there are things I would like updated or fixed. If BN isn't looking to update it, then why not let the community take the reins?

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

There is a community effort over at NookDevs

http://www.nookdevs.com/Main_Page

It's a bit more difficult than rooting a regular Nook Color, but there is a better browser, access to RSS feeds, etc. If more people develop widgets/apps, it would really make rooting the N1E an interesting proposition.

Reader
weinerschnitzelboy
0 Kudos

Make it a lot faster, with smoother animations, make highlighting easier, try to make screen refresh even faster, more games, and the capability to use the internet browser on 3G for free (I highly doubt that will happen)

Reader
weinerschnitzelboy
0 Kudos

Make it read m4a album cover data from iTunes purchases, and while it's playing music, instead of showing the home wallpaper, make it show the album cover.

Reader
Puterjunkies
0 Kudos

Sure would be nice if the Nook could accept a stylis instead of my 10 thumbs. But, that is probubly a hardware issue.

Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

[posted reply in wrong topic]

New User
TXGrammie
0 Kudos

I bought a roocase Capacitive Stylus and it works great on my Nook Color!!  I've got kinda 'fat' fingers so this helps a lot!  I think it cost $9.99 and I found it online. 

New User
tz2011
0 Kudos

Scrabble or at least any decent word puzzles

New User
buffiner
0 Kudos

I'd like to be able to purchase and play Scrabble, please!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

buffiner wrote:

I'd like to be able to purchase and play Scrabble, please!

I'll try to be kind, as you're new here.

1) 1.6 came (bugs & all) and went. The current version is 1.7. So making a suggestion for the "future" release of 1.6 would require a time machine. :smileywink:

2) N1E was never designed to purchase any apps. Sudoku and Chess were part of a firmware upgrade.

3) The N1E (otherwise, the NOOK First Edition) has officially been declared retired. It has been supplanted by the NOOK Color and NOOK Simple Touch (aka N2E). It is unlikely at this point that any further iterations to the firmware will be released. We only really got 1.7 because there were problems with 1.6.

As to the current devices, you cannot buy/load/play apps to the N2E. If you want to play Scrabble on a NOOK device, ask them to develop the app for the NOOK Color and go out and buy both (NC & the app) when they do.

In future, you may want to do a more thorough search, read and understand the topic, and then post appropriately before you revive an old & irrelevant thread. Not everyone's response will be as calm as mine if you don't.