Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Nallia wrote:

I would still like efficient highlight and notes functions.  I would like my notes to be collected in one place, like a text file, and would like the ability to copy them to my computer for printing.

Yes, this one. The Nook's inability to even simply list all of the notes in a book and allow jumping to a specific page with a note remains disappointing. It makes the Nook simply not a great solution for reading complex non-fiction (or even some complex novels if one's reading for anything more than simple recreation).

Frequent Contributor
lilkim714
0 Kudos

I am pretty pleased with 1.5. I was shocked that they allowed shelves in the My Docs section as they only said B&N Library before the update was released in press statments, etc. Those sly devils..lol

I would like to see:

1. Ability to subcatergorize shelves..for example.

Mystery

Mary Russell Series

The Beekeeper's Apprentice

and etc..this make sense?

2. Better dictionary.. dictionary seriously need A LOT of work. I read a lot of historical fiction and there are a lot of words that aren't used anymore and the dictionary doesnt know the word and it defeats the purpose..

3. The ability to know how many pages until the next chapter. I saw that they attempted this with the go to page feature where it lists what chapter that page is on, but trying to land on an exact page is like a specific science. I never ever get the right page like ever. I am always skipping ahead to count how many pages until I have a good stopping point. This would be nice to have, but I can continue to do what I have been doing. It seems to work for now.

I think that is about it. I mainly only read on my nook, so internet and games features arent really a big deal for me. Although a crossword feature would be nice though.

Overall good job B&N and the page turns are absolutely epic..I loved my nook before and now I really love my nook..

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

I agree - some way to nickname files or arrange series in their correct order ie. Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series (currently at 7 books) or Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld Series (currently at 11 books). Messing with the title/metadata is not always an option, especially with DRM'd Fictiowise/ereader.com .pdb files (hint: If anyone has figured out how to do this, please let me know).

I'd also like a quick way in the library to know how far along I am in a book...ie. the partially filled in circle in the ereader.com app for the ipod touch, or maybe just which page number/percent of the book finished.

New User
Artenen
0 Kudos

Option to switch the forward and back buttons.  With the size of my hands, if I hold the nook comfortably, my thumb falls on the BACK button.  When I hold it so my thumb lines up with the forward button, I'm barely grasping the bottom corner of the device and it is not comfortable or balanced. There was an option to change this on the old ebookwise reader I have, and it really seems logical to include it here.  This was almost a deal breaker for me and I gotta say it has just gotten more annoying over time. 

New User
alwaysflyin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"3. The ability to know how many pages until the next chapter."

Totally agree!  This is first on my wish list, would be a great help even if just bar breaks on the indicator bar at the bottom of the page to give some indication versus an actual count. 

Never know without paging forward if I have 3 pages left in chapter or 20 - then lose the convenience of the to "go to furthest reading point" if too many pages to read before sleeping or needing to stop reading.

A daily crossword would be my second wish as well. 

Not a "game" player but crosswords aren't games are they? :smileywink:

New User
joe59
0 Kudos

I would like to be able to delete content right from the nook itself,  I have a subscription to a weekly magazine and would like to delete ones I have alread finished. Seems on my computer it does not give the date of older issues, cant figure out which ones to delete

Contributor
CoryN

Printing over wifi

Make the Nook expose itself as a wifi printer, so people can have instant paperless printing from anywhere.  Print jobs can just be made into PDFs.

New User
Gryyphyn
0 Kudos

I'd love to have the download feature enabled.  I haven't checked the 1.6 firmware yet (will tonight) but I read on the net about 25% of the time and many of the sites I read from have an epub version of whatever I'm reading available, not to mention the multitude of PDFs available.  It's a bit of a pain to have to send myself an email and wait to download it later, usually forgetting for a day or two.  The ability is there, it's just not activated.

Adding a secondary field, or the ability to organize within shelves for series, would be smashing.  I've a number of series that are horribly out of order and I hate having to do things like putting XX in front of the titles.  That's silly.

My third suggestion is more font selections.  I can't seem to get the text small enough.  Even on the 'extra small' text setting I'm still turning a page every 45-75 seconds.  I don't seem to have this problem on the web where I have independant text size settings and the (fantastic) display can handle text readably all the way down to a 6pt font without blurring (though contrast can be an issue that small).

Well, that's my pennies in the bucket...

Cry Havok! and let slip the dogs of war
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

The ability to create and modify shelves and shelf content via PC would be really nice.  The current way is very manual and time consuming if you have a large library.

Correspondent
lisat96

I'd like to see the ability to display the metadata fields for books in My Documents when I look at the item details.  It would be nice to at a minumum be able to see the standard ePub fields like description, but ideally I'd like to also be able to see the user created fields like series and series index.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

definitely needs better note taking ability.  I love having my bible on the nook but if I can't take notes easily (and viewing them is even worse, you might end up deleting the note) then it is way less useful.

crossword puzzle game would be nice.

ability to collapse shelves so you only view the shelf name and not the underlying books unless you drill down or open the shelf.

overall they did fix the ereader related issues that needed fixing.  faster page turns is awesome.

Inspired Contributor
PingOfDeath
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

Indexing within a shelf can be solved by allowing the books to be assigned a "shelf index number" that would be automatically assigned when "put on the shelf", but editable by the user.

If two books have the same index, the O/S could prompt the user to decide if (s)he wants to renumber all books below this one.  If not the books with the same number would be "shelved" alphabetically.

With the shelving, for those of us with a lot of books, it would help to add a "shelf" view, where you would only see the shelves that you have set up.  You would then choose the shelves and see the books contained on the shelves.  Shelves are a GREAT step forward, but if you have 600 e-books and PDFs, you still have to go through 40 pages to get to the X's

I would REALLY REALLY like to see them do something about images on pdfs and e-books.  There needs to be a "zoom" feature where you can zoom in on an image to see details.  There is probably not much that can be done for text based charts, but at least you can  read them.  When a book tells me to "see figure x.x", i cringe because i know that i am going to have to pull the book when i get home, or open it up on a computer when I get by one.  This is the one thing that the Sony has that the Nook does not. 

I think that it would also be nice to be able to read Word and Excel files like the Nook Color.

Thanks for not dropping support on us "nook classic" owners for the "new and shinny" color nook owners.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

More games! Nook users obviously love to read, and by extension, love words. There needs to be word games, like crossword puzzles.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Here's my list for the 1.5 update, updated to be for 1.6 (additions in italics):

Priority 1.

• Organizational tools for e-books, both B&N and sideloaded. MUST HAVE MUST HAVE MUST HAVE! Sorry, I got a bit carried away, but this is really a sore point. We've been asking for it from Day 1, all the other major e-readers have it, and Shelves that are durable; without durable organizational tools the "1500 e-book capacity" is a sick joke and the ability to add microSD is of limited use. The highlight/note feature is also crippled, because the highlights and notes go away when you remove an e-book to make room on the list for another. Seriously, durable organization is a critical missing feature.

Priority 2:

• Either the ability to delete sideloaded content, or to mark it as read (similar system to archiving in the B&N Library), or both. Including the "nook Tour".
  • Ability to search titles/authors of sideloaded content the way that we can search in the B&N Library.
  • More flexible PDF handling. Other e-readers offer zoom and pan, so I'm pretty sure it's in Adobe Reader Mobile. Landscape rotation would be nice, too.
  • Restore tracking of Furthest point read.
  • Automatic hyphenation so that justified e-books don't look so awful (this is probably an Adobe Reader Mobile issue).
  • Fix the dictionary bugs related to certain words.
  • More robust Wi-Fi connection handling. Make it easier to connect, and easier to see why a connection is failing.
  • Fix the title sorting to understand that "A", "An", and "The" are to be ignored at the beginning of the title.

Priority 3:

• Screensaver option of "current book cover".
  • Make Sudoku's "easy" level more in line with the "easy" levels in Sudoku books.
  • More font choices.
  • Ability to download e-books using the Web browser.
  • Organizational tools for audio files. For pity's sake, at least separate the audiobooks from the music files! Sheesh. Playlists would be highly desirable.
  • Improved highlight/note handling. Make them accessible from a list. Provide a way to offload the highlights and notes onto a computer, preferably in some kind of printable format.
  • Integrate "B&N Library" and "My Documents".
  • Coverflow for "My Documents".
  • Make the page-turn "swipe" less finicky. Maybe add "tap" options for turning pages.
Contributor
elyadme
0 Kudos

joe59 wrote:

I would like to be able to delete content right from the nook itself,  I have a subscription to a weekly magazine and would like to delete ones I have alread finished. Seems on my computer it does not give the date of older issues, cant figure out which ones to delete

I'm not sure if this is different for periodicals, but in 'my documents' mode at least, you can select "Item details & options" menu to delete a book.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...
Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

Travst wrote:

Flash support!

LOL, if you want flash get a Nookcolor they are due to have flash in January or February.  It is really not technically feasible on the Nook Classic E-ink display.

-DB

Frequent Contributor
Travst
0 Kudos

I realized, after I posted, that I wasn't in a NC thread.  I have a Color and look forward to the support for Flash.

As Rosanne Rosannadanna said... Never mind!

Take my advice... don't take my advice.
Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

I love the new additions in 1.5.  Book shelves and of course being able to see where you are in the book before even opening it...that is GREAT.  Contrast is a improvement.  I agree with that they said their best update yet.  However bring back the chevrons aka download indicators.  Not sure why they were removed but THAT was a great feature when you are in a hot spot that is not so hot and you know if you move the download will be abort.  The indicators show when the download is done and it is safe to move lol.

The ablity to name bookmarks would be a nice (but minor) addition.

I still would like playlists or such on the audio player with bookmarking.  Many audio books are larger than one file and with the Nook if you look at another normal book or the Nook shuts down fully it looses your place.

Oh and finally I still would like the ablity to manually enter a page number since the slider can be very inaccurate at times.

All in all I am very happy with 1.5, it fixed my largest problem I had with the nook (organizing my books and allowing deleting in my documents).  And of course faster page turns, that is great. :smileyhappy:

-DB

Frequent Contributor
DBDigital
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Here's my list for the 1.5 update, updated to be for 1.6 (additions in italics):

Priority 1.

• Organizational tools for e-books, both B&N and sideloaded. MUST HAVE MUST HAVE MUST HAVE! Sorry, I got a bit carried away, but this is really a sore point. We've been asking for it from Day 1, all the other major e-readers have it, and Shelves that are durable; without durable organizational tools the "1500 e-book capacity" is a sick joke and the ability to add microSD is of limited use. The highlight/note feature is also crippled, because the highlights and notes go away when you remove an e-book to make room on the list for another. Seriously, durable organization is a critical missing feature.

Priority 2:

• Either the ability to delete sideloaded content, or to mark it as read (similar system to archiving in the B&N Library), or both. Including the "nook Tour".
  • Ability to search titles/authors of sideloaded content the way that we can search in the B&N Library.
  • More flexible PDF handling. Other e-readers offer zoom and pan, so I'm pretty sure it's in Adobe Reader Mobile. Landscape rotation would be nice, too.
  • Restore tracking of Furthest point read.
  • Automatic hyphenation so that justified e-books don't look so awful (this is probably an Adobe Reader Mobile issue).
  • Fix the dictionary bugs related to certain words.
  • More robust Wi-Fi connection handling. Make it easier to connect, and easier to see why a connection is failing.
  • Fix the title sorting to understand that "A", "An", and "The" are to be ignored at the beginning of the title.

Priority 3:

• Screensaver option of "current book cover".
  • Make Sudoku's "easy" level more in line with the "easy" levels in Sudoku books.
  • More font choices.
  • Ability to download e-books using the Web browser.
  • Organizational tools for audio files. For pity's sake, at least separate the audiobooks from the music files! Sheesh. Playlists would be highly desirable.
  • Improved highlight/note handling. Make them accessible from a list. Provide a way to offload the highlights and notes onto a computer, preferably in some kind of printable format.
  • Integrate "B&N Library" and "My Documents".
  • Coverflow for "My Documents".
  • Make the page-turn "swipe" less finicky. Maybe add "tap" options for turning pages.

Doug, I agree with most of your points.  However I suspect that "zoom and pan" for a PDF on a e-ink display would not the best and rather slow going.  It is also likely that B&N will say "get a NookColor if that is what you want".

I also like keeping B&N Libary and "My Documents" separate.  I can see at a glance what I have side loaded and what is DRM protected (well most of it).  This is a large asset to me and I would not want them combined.  If they did do this, I hope it would be a option we could turn off if we liked.

-DB

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

How about everything that was supposed to be in 1.5 :smileywink: