Reader 2
remaguire
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Great!  Thanks!  Now BN just has to do it for "the daily" and I'm good to go.

bklvr896 wrote:

remaguire wrote:

I usually have my Nook in airplane mode.  When I want to shop or access "the daily", one has to go to the wifi menu to turn off airplane mode and turn on wifi.

Is it possible to include that functionality in the "shop" and "the daily" menus?  It would be much more convenient.

Thanks!

If you tap shop while the device is in airplane mode, it will tell you it is in airplane mode and ask if you want to turn it off.  Tap Ok on the touch screen.  Same thing happens if you are in the B&N library and you tap check for new content.

Contributor
hbgg1989
0 Kudos

More font choices please. 

Inspired Contributor
TheVampireGod
0 Kudos

the ideas of 1.5 are great and i love them but the nook could always use updates...

first it would be nice if they updated their app availabilities... crosswords, word search ect...

orginization of the shelves but more importantly music playlist...

i also would like to be able to send messages to some of my fellow nook owners via the wifi network or 3g maybe... like if i could send a message to someone i just lent a book to saying why i lent them the book or like some sort of IMing system for communication... that would be nice... and lastly i no the nook color has it but some sort or radio access, i dont care if it is through pandora or not but just simple radio would be nice...

nicknaming books is a good idea to but it should be optional, like i dont want to be asked every time i buy a book if i want to nick name it...

also and this may not be a nook specific thing but it would be nice to somehow be able to put the books i already own in hardcover or paperback onto my nook for free, maybe they could have a special offer and we could bring in our books on paper and they could take those and give us the e version of them for free because we are giving them our books where they could sell them maybe, so like a used type of deal idk...

and lastly again i dont know if this is a nook thing in specific but it would be nice to get books that our school has us read for free. it would be easier to read some of the books i dont like via the nook than the horrible conditioned books our school gives but again that is prob. a deal that schools and BN would have to make... it would be nice though

Eclipse Pictures, Images and Photos
Reader 4
JessHun

[ Edited ]

All I want is really a simple folder organisation with subfolders option. The ability to create/delete/edit  on the computer and sync to the nook ( much faster than doing on the nook ). I have authors that wrote several series, this just can't be handled with shelves.

Frequent Contributor
Johnny_Nonsense
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Also...
4. Allow user to install additional fonts.  The current fonts are very minimal and only support the Western, Latin-derived languages.  And of course, it would be nice if people could use whatever font they think looks best.

5. Allow individual shelves to be easily hidden, or collapsed.  To do this, allow the shelf heading to receive input focus.  When the user puts the cursor on the shelf heading, the LCD display would have options pertaining to that particular shelf, including expand/collapse.

6. When a book has been opened, permit its shelf settings to be manipulated without having to exit from the book.

7. Come up with a definition of "location" in a book that is consistent with other eReaders, and all book formats.  That way, they can more easily be used in educational settings.  For example, count words or sentences from the beginning.  But make sure everyone is using the exact same algorithm.  Make sure the algorithm is available to anyone that wants to use it.  Get together with Amazon on this - standardization.

Keep up with the software improvements!   Do not just play catch-up with the Kindle if you want to survive.

Reader 4
NookWormFL
0 Kudos

Would love to see independent fonts for each ebook.  

Frequent Contributor
eserafina42

I have a simple little request, though I love the upgrade, especially the faster page turn, and at least we now have some organizational ability.

When I get samples, though, I may like the book but not want to buy it right away. Right now what I need to do is go to the website (or search the book on the nook), go directly to its link and add it to my e-wish list, and then manually delete the sample. It would be great if the samples would have an option to "add to wish list" right from there and then automatically delete the sample.

Contributor
SmokeyDF

[ Edited ]

1) Nook has a RSS Feed reader, its called The Daily. However they wont let us delete the B&N RSS Feeds and then add our own. I purchased the Nook to read eBooks and RSS.

2) Landscape view.

3) Let us disable images and CSS in the web browser.

** It makes no sense to have a ebook reader with a RSS reader that the user cant use (unless we want to read B&N created RSS feeds). This reason alone is why I will probably be selling my nook. Other than the failure to utilize the 'The Daily' section on the device, the Nook was a nice one. We shouldnt need to hack the device and void the warranty, or use buggy 3rd party software just to get a few common sense features.

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

First, let me say thank you for a great update on the Nook.  V1.5 has given most people what they absolutely wanted in the Nook and it is good to know that B&N will continue to support the unit.

Now, what would I like to see?  Additional file support.  Let's start with the MS office file types included in the Nook Color and add the Open Office file types (.odt etc) for more functionality. I would also like to see improved music handling (playlists would be a good start) as will as the addition of support for FLAC. I would like options for landscape viewing even though the device controls (page buttons, LCD screen) aren't optimized for it. Finally, I would like to see a way to reorganize the icons on the LCD screen.  If I want the Browser button next to the Daily button, I would like to be bale to rearrange them.  Thank you for listening.

Contributor
julie42

I'd really like to see a notepad added.  Just a place where I can jot down notes to myself, nothin' fancy...

Frequent Contributor
Johnny_Nonsense

8.  When you push one of the page-turn buttons, immediately turn off the LCD (if it is on), or at least make it an option.  That way it will save more power.

Frequent Contributor
Johnny_Nonsense
0 Kudos

DBDigital wrote:

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Here's my list for the 1.5 update, updated to be for 1.6 (additions in italics):

Priority 1.

• Organizational tools for e-books, both B&N and sideloaded. MUST HAVE MUST HAVE MUST HAVE! Sorry, I got a bit carried away, but this is really a sore point. We've been asking for it from Day 1, all the other major e-readers have it, and Shelves that are durable; without durable organizational tools the "1500 e-book capacity" is a sick joke and the ability to add microSD is of limited use. The highlight/note feature is also crippled, because the highlights and notes go away when you remove an e-book to make room on the list for another. Seriously, durable organization is a critical missing feature.

Priority 2:

• Either the ability to delete sideloaded content, or to mark it as read (similar system to archiving in the B&N Library), or both. Including the "nook Tour".
  • Ability to search titles/authors of sideloaded content the way that we can search in the B&N Library.
  • More flexible PDF handling. Other e-readers offer zoom and pan, so I'm pretty sure it's in Adobe Reader Mobile. Landscape rotation would be nice, too.
  • Restore tracking of Furthest point read.
  • Automatic hyphenation so that justified e-books don't look so awful (this is probably an Adobe Reader Mobile issue).
  • Fix the dictionary bugs related to certain words.
  • More robust Wi-Fi connection handling. Make it easier to connect, and easier to see why a connection is failing.
  • Fix the title sorting to understand that "A", "An", and "The" are to be ignored at the beginning of the title.

Priority 3:

• Screensaver option of "current book cover".
  • Make Sudoku's "easy" level more in line with the "easy" levels in Sudoku books.
  • More font choices.
  • Ability to download e-books using the Web browser.
  • Organizational tools for audio files. For pity's sake, at least separate the audiobooks from the music files! Sheesh. Playlists would be highly desirable.
  • Improved highlight/note handling. Make them accessible from a list. Provide a way to offload the highlights and notes onto a computer, preferably in some kind of printable format.
  • Integrate "B&N Library" and "My Documents".
  • Coverflow for "My Documents".
  • Make the page-turn "swipe" less finicky. Maybe add "tap" options for turning pages.

Doug, I agree with most of your points.  However I suspect that "zoom and pan" for a PDF on a e-ink display would not the best and rather slow going.  It is also likely that B&N will say "get a NookColor if that is what you want".

I also like keeping B&N Libary and "My Documents" separate.  I can see at a glance what I have side loaded and what is DRM protected (well most of it).  This is a large asset to me and I would not want them combined.  If they did do this, I hope it would be a option we could turn off if we liked.

-DB

DB, I don't see how merging the two maing groups together would hurt you in the least.  All they would have to do is put a  "B&N" symbol next to the books that were obtained via the B&N store.  They could also do other things, such as automatically put new B&N books in their own shelf category, and side-loaded books in another.  If I want to read a "scifi" book, it would be much better if I could go to a single "scifi" shelf, and see all of them available, instead of having to examine 2 separate "scifi" shelves.  You could also create a "DRM" shelf if you really need to locate books based on whether they are copy-protected.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

Horizontal screen orientation for PDF viewing, so that you can fit-to-width and use the touchscreen to scroll up and down through pages.

A horizontal fit-to-width for Nookbooks would actually be nice on occasion, too. I'm reading one with diagrams that can barely be read ("The Wealthy Freelancer"). Really, any basic option for magnification (even if it was just a 2x, 4x option) would be very welcome.

Frequent Contributor
pitbull42

I would like the option to just close a book. Now when you end the book it just stops at the lst page. If you go back to it, it still shows the lst page.  Also now in the library it shows the page you are currently on per book, I will have a number that show 350 of 350 or what ever the book size.  I just hate that.

I do not like swiping when reading becuse for me it works some times and then it does not.  I agree that a just  tap on the right to go forward and left to go back would be much easier and less work. This should be easy to do.

and I also echo, bring back furthest point read.  They gave this to us in 1.3 I think, why take it away? in 1.5??

I also agree with more fonts. 

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

On your last point, there is a way that the Nook is capable of and it's called a library. :smileywink: It's worth checking out since it's likely that at least some of the titles your school assigns are available for borrowing. HTH :smileyhappy:

TheVampireGod wrote:

and lastly again i dont know if this is a nook thing in specific but it would be nice to get books that our school has us read for free. it would be easier to read some of the books i dont like via the nook than the horrible conditioned books our school gives but again that is prob. a deal that schools and BN would have to make... it would be nice though

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

atarikid --

atarikid wrote:

So the wifi is great.  But at my school we have to enter username and password for wifi (I believe it is WEAP)  It would be nice if the firmware of the wireless driver could be updated to handle this.  I would like to be able to use some of the wireless features.

3.  3G internet.... just saying guys... kindles got it...  Why can't you

Not sure what you are aiming at with your 3G suggestion for v1.6.  There is a nook ereader already out with this capability.

In fact, my sister just ordered herself a refurbished one yesterday. 

Zola

New User
Maximilian
0 Kudos

I would like to see at least some kind of organization in the audio files.

Maybe asking support for custom playlists (like m3u) is too much, but at least have the ability to use separated folders as playlists.

Frequent Contributor
rictx

Ok an idea I have that I havent see listed yet. B&N needs to come out with a stand alone computer program(Like Calibre) to manage all our books(and why not music at the same time).  Where we can organize all our stuff, setup shelves, set list order extra, then send it to the nook. I think this would fix all my problems and most of the others I see about  organization.

I use Calibre for all my side loaded stuff and its great, sorts my books the way I like. for  now I buy very few NooKBooks from B&N since its not as easy to order them the way I like and can sideloading them with Calibre(since Calibre dont work with the DRM nookbooks)

Frequent Contributor
eserafina42
0 Kudos

Closing books would be nice but it's not a huge issue for me, and I don't have any trouble (usually) with the swipe. I do agree with you 100% on the furthest point read, though. I really liked that.

pitbull42 wrote:

I would like the option to just close a book. Now when you end the book it just stops at the lst page. If you go back to it, it still shows the lst page.  Also now in the library it shows the page you are currently on per book, I will have a number that show 350 of 350 or what ever the book size.  I just hate that.

I do not like swiping when reading becuse for me it works some times and then it does not.  I agree that a just  tap on the right to go forward and left to go back would be much easier and less work. This should be easy to do.

and I also echo, bring back furthest point read.  They gave this to us in 1.3 I think, why take it away? in 1.5??

I also agree with more fonts. 

New User
innDough2012
0 Kudos

Artenen wrote:

Option to switch the forward and back buttons.  With the size of my hands, if I hold the nook comfortably, my thumb falls on the BACK button.  When I hold it so my thumb lines up with the forward button, I'm barely grasping the bottom corner of the device and it is not comfortable or balanced. There was an option to change this on the old ebookwise reader I have, and it really seems logical to include it here.  This was almost a deal breaker for me and I gotta say it has just gotten more annoying over time. 

Awesome first post!  I couldn't agree more.  I feel that issue is something B&N should have rectified a long time ago.  For me too it's very unnatural and uncomfortable to page-forward using the designated buttons.  For my hands, if the page-forward and page-back buttons were reversed, it'd be ideal.  They should allow users to designate those buttons themselves.  At least the touchscreen swipe alleviates some of the hassle.  If that wasn't an option I'd be very peeved.