Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
rjr57
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Right, but why not be able to delete from the B&N Library as well directly from the Nook?

Contributor
rjr57
0 Kudos

Sorry, I was replying to an earlier post about wanting to delete from the nook directly, which is currently only availabe for side loaded content, not the B&N library.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Jazola wrote:

atarikid --

atarikid wrote:

So the wifi is great.  But at my school we have to enter username and password for wifi (I believe it is WEAP)  It would be nice if the firmware of the wireless driver could be updated to handle this.  I would like to be able to use some of the wireless features.

3.  3G internet.... just saying guys... kindles got it...  Why can't you

Not sure what you are aiming at with your 3G suggestion for v1.6.  There is a nook ereader already out with this capability.

In fact, my sister just ordered herself a refurbished one yesterday. 

Zola

The browser won't work with 3G.  It only works with WiFi.  3G on the NOOK is only for updating the Daily and shopping.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

rjr57 wrote:

Right, but why not be able to delete from the B&N Library as well directly from the Nook?

No idea why they have added that option, although I have one theory that makes sense to me.  In My Documents, you most likely have a copy of the book on your computer, so if you accidentally delete it off the Nook, you still have it.  Once you delete a B&N book, it's gone, and you can't get it back unless you purchase it again. (You're much better off archiving than deleting, for books at least) Since there have been reports of people accidentally deleting books on the website, it would be much more likely to accidentally delete it on Nook. Much easier to accidentally tap OK at "Are you sure you want to delete this", rather than Cancel, if you didn't mean to start the process at all.

Of course, it could not be that at all, but that's one of my theories on it.

Contributor
rjr57
0 Kudos

Here's my wish list for 1.6, if there is to be an additional release:

1. Pandora over wifi while reading.
  2. Better font support in PDF's - possibly make pdf font selection independent of epub font selection.
  3. Allow for looking up a word in my documents, including pdf.  Even if I have to type the word I want to look up, it is still faster than finding the dictionary.
  4. Some books have links between pages (esp. technical ones).  It would be nice to have a "back" button that would return to the page that was linked to (same as a web browser).
  5. some way to clear the in store reading list

I love the 1.5 update - the page turn speed and shelves are great advancements.  I do hope that B&N continues to advance both the classic and color nooks.

New User
srbNY
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

My books are also sorted by Author, however, they are still in alphabetical order.  I would much rather see them sorted by Author, by the series order or by the way they were downloaded. 

Reader
SME88

I would like to have Crossword and solitaire games added to the "old" Nook models - if they aren't going to give current owners some HUGE trade in offer to move to the new "color" nook then they need to do more than add shelves (the shelves were a great addition)  to these software updates - the web surfing is still a bit of a pain, my nook was never slow turning pages and i see no difference with this new update.  also, the interactive children's book ability, why can't that be given to the current nooks?  Just because they are black and white doesn't mean kids wouldn't want to have the books read to them or be able to do some of the other things like on the color model

Contributor
jeff123
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How about real folder support !!!!!!!!!!! This is my biggest complaint about the Nook, I was hoping not to have to root the device to add it, but I do not think any one @ BN gets it.

Also the ability to use WIFI to tether to an Android phone would be nice

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

I started a new thread for this idea and a moderator suggested i post it here. I didn't think it could be a simple software upgrade, but maybe it could be. 

I was traveling all day today and wished I had an audiobook to listen to in the car. Realizing that I forgot to load my Nook with audiobooks before the trip, I thought, "Wouldn't it be great if BN let you purchase and download audiobooks directly to the nook?"

Nooks already have the capability to download epubs from the nook shop, so it wouldn't be a huge step to enable browsing and downloading mp3 audiobooks onto the nook. Granted, audiobooks take up more storage space than ebooks, but it would be a great feature. Since there are already audiobooks listed on BN.com, BN wouldn't have to add a separate app, just integrate it into the already existing shop. Thoughts?

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

Whats this classic junk?  Its the nook and the nookcolor..... its not hard.

Had BN come out with an updated version of the nook and still called it nook then I can see the classic tag being used.

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Contributor
jayh3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1) Ability to force justification to either left or full.  Often full justification looks just horrible, especially on titles and because I use a larger font.

2) Ability to force margins to be removed.  I don't see why an eReader would need margins.  The available space is limited enough without giving up space to margins.

3) Try to reduce the number of display states when turning pages.  I understand the limitations of eInk, but please investigate whether it has been reduced to the absolute theoretical minimum.  Right now, when turning pages, the display states appear to go something like this:  Current Page Positive -> Current Page Negative -> Blank Page Negative (not sure about this one) -> Next Page Negative -> Next Page Postive.  Here, "Negative" means white text on black, and "Positive" means black text on white.  Each of these transitions from one state to another introduces a distraction.  If any of these states can be eliminated, it will improve the appearance of page turns.

1 & 2 Use EPUB format instead of PDF.  A free program such as Calibre will change PDF's to EPUB's

3  All e ink readers do that.

Contributor
jayh3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My books are also sorted by Author, however, they are still in alphabetical order.  I would much rather see them sorted by Author, by the series order or by the way they were downloaded.

Rename the books with a program such as Calibre in the Metafile (not just the file name) with the series number before the title.

Reader 2
Splashtail
0 Kudos

1. More text styles.

2. More games like crossword puzzles.

3. Word processing system, like notes on iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

4. Free 3G web browsing, like Kindle.

Contributor
Catski23
0 Kudos

From eserafina42:

I have a simple little request, though I love the upgrade, especially the faster page turn, and at least we now have some organizational ability.

When I get samples, though, I may like the book but not want to buy it right away. Right now what I need to do is go to the website (or search the book on the nook), go directly to its link and add it to my e-wish list, and then manually delete the sample. It would be great if the samples would have an option to "add to wish list" right from there and then automatically delete the sample.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would also love this feature in the new v1.6 update. Also, it would be great to have a small icon for read books and books already on your ewishlist ( I always have to check at least twice to make sure that I have ewished a book before deleting a sample, which I read everytime I read a book no matter how great the reviews). Ensuring that your book is already on your wishlist means going to the Shop app and downloading it there. An extra step that I have to take everytime I finish a new book's sample. A link to add it to my ewishlist would be great. I would still use the Shop app to look at the other works from an author, but for individual samples this would be a great feature.

A notepad and deleting samples from the Nook itself would also be added bonuses that I would use as tools to enhance my Nook experience.

Contributor
JoshKing
0 Kudos

Twitter - K3 can do it I would love to be able to on the Nook. It makes no sense to me that the Nook would not offer at least everything Kindle does. I would like to be able to highlight a passage and then simply tweet strait from what I am reading.

Apps - from what I have heard the Android apps will not be available for the Classic Nook but I think they should. Such as Pandora and the like would be great.

Pretty simple concept is to just offer what Kindle and the softroot guys are offering.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

I would love to see a basic text editor in future updates, with the abilities to type, save to the My Documents library, and open to re-edit and re-save.

Contributor
infoduck
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I second that metadata for my documents!! Its nearly impossible to tell just from the cover or name sometimes what the book is about when I am shelving it, even if it just picked up TAGS it would be great .....also like a delete.

I just LOVE my nook ;-)

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1. Not sure if it hasn't already been mentioned but the shelves should be an updatable file - either a sqlite database or something that can be updated by third-party apps.  I'd like to have the ability to manage shelves in Calibre and have it updated on the nook. 

2.  Please do away with the separation between My Documents and My B&N library this is a completly unecessary abstraction that just makes the device harder and less convenient to use.

3.  Show covers for all books (see #2)

4.  A (much, much) better dictionary

5.  I still have trouble with the touch screen for navigation - it is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough - though this is much improved with 1.5, it is not yet perfected.

6.  A general focus on the reading experience and not distractions.  Every minute spent on chess or sudoku development is a minute not spent on a better reading experience.  In fact, I'd be thrilled if I could simplify my menu to remove anything that wasn't necessary to reading.

UPDATE,  thought of more:

I'd like better book management - a way to set rules for what is or isn't shown. I've never been able to find a way to keep the interface clean without archiving books.  My first rule would be : All read books are automatically hidden (archived, if that is what it takes).

Please, for the love of all books and periodicals give us non-Windows, non-Mac users a Linux client.  I honestly don't know why you haven't done this already. You have a blackberry client for crying out loud.  You have a client for every device known to man except Linux.  You have to know that this makes us feel a little bit slighted.  Oh and by the way, PC means personal computer, not Windows.

New User
dotmundo
0 Kudos

I just bought a Nook for my wife although I was really leaning towards the Kindle as I think it is a much more elegant product.  However, the Nook approach and it's embrace of using ePub won me over.

With that said, here are my suggestions and note that I work as a software developer who would love to see better support of technical manuals which all eReaders seem to fall flat on.

1. Context Text Search

The text search on Kindle is far more superior and should not be difficult to implememt. When searching for a word, particulary on technical or reference book,  I would like to see a choice of selections that show the word in brief context rather than just be taking to the next occurance of that word.  This is my #1 complaint with the Nook and would make it an even more powerful reader.

2. Sortable Shelf Names

It makes it easy to share the device with my wife if you can sort the display by shelf name.

3. Option to turn off Wifi When Not In Use

Good battery saver

4. Multiple Dictionaries

In my home, we speak / read English, Spanish and French. It would be nice to be able to have multiple dictionaries that can be selected depending on which book we are reading at the moment.

5. Improved touchscreen

It lags sometimes and is huge deal breaker among many people I know.

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

These'd be my big three:

1. Durable notes: preferably, this would be the capability to view all of one's notes and highlights in a particular text in one place, along with the ability to export them to a text file. Even better would be the ability to SYNC notes between the nook device and Nook for PC/Nookstudy.

2. Zoom and pan capability with graphic PDF files.

3. A landscape option for reading.

Though without these the nook is nice for casual reading, it's these three features that have me seriously considering selling my nook and moving to the Sony product.