Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Reading undownloaded book causes nook to freeze

gafortiby wrote:

Page turns are NOT any faster when using the "read in store" feature. Is the book downloaded ONE page at a time??? In fact it is painfully slow.

I just did a read in store yesterday, and although not as fast as the books I purchased, not painfully slow, pretty much like before.  I'm not sure the book is downloaded at all, I think you may be reading directly off the server, which is why it doesn't work when you lose the connection with the server.  Not sure about that, just a guess though.  It's also apparently a pdb version of the book, since it's one page number per page turn instead of multiple page turns to get a new page number.

New User
Du4n3
0 Kudos

Re: 1.5 "bug" list

[ Edited ]

Having trouble with viewing the users guide in my documents; when I try to turn to a certain page in the "charging" chapter it will close out to the main menu. Happens both when I turn forward to the page and when I turn backwards to the page. problem started after I left the nook to charge overnight (for me less than five hours, I sleep light.)and when I woke up the charging indicator was still lit and the battery charge percentage in settings would not rise above 96%. Help!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

When sorting books by Author/Title/Recent it takes you to the page in that sort based upon the book you have highlighted and there is no easy way to go to page one.

More details on what I'm talking about here.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Reader 4
Jesterg42
0 Kudos

@ Du4n3 - what page is causing the issue? What font and size are you using?

Correspondent
TravP

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Shelves in the cloud, meaning sync shelves to My Nook Library, so that apps have shelves & re-registering Nooks won't wipe the shelves.

Inspired Contributor
Sigma2398

My four cents worth (some ideas may have been mentioned - consider this a vote in that direction):

1. Ability to delete User's Guide and Tour from My Documents (they're on the web if I need them)

2. Ability to reorder or hide items on the main menu (I've never used The Daily, and rarely use shopping)

3. When the battery gets low, there is a big message that comes up on the screen.  To click "OK" takes two clicks: one to turn on the display, and one to click the okay button.  The display screen should come on automatically when input is needed.

4. Where did the "Jump to Last Page Read" function go??  This was great for jumping back to your current reading position after referencing a map or family tree at the beginning of the book.

Frequent Contributor
cubano100pct
0 Kudos

I like the shelf feature, but I need an easier way to manage shelfs and the books on the shelf, either under My library on bn.com site and/or any Nook App.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

TravP wrote:
"Wouldn't it be great if BN let you purchase and download audiobooks directly to the nook?"

Nooks already have the capability to download epubs from the nook shop, so it wouldn't be a huge step to enable browsing and downloading mp3 audiobooks onto the nook. Granted, audiobooks take up more storage space than ebooks, but it would be a great feature. Since there are already audiobooks listed on BN.com, BN wouldn't have to add a separate app, just integrate it into the already existing shop. Thoughts?

I can see this as an option via WiFi, but unlikely for 3G.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

Why was the "1.5 bug list" thread merged with the "Ideas for Nook 1.6" thread?  These are NOT the same topic... unless you are saying, "Here's an idea for 1.6:  remove the bugs you just created in 1.5!".  

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

Suggestions for 1.6:

1) Replace all the features inexplicably removed (in 1.5)

2) Fix all bugs introduced in 1.5

3) I would ask for new features but I'm afraid to - who knows which old ones we would have to sacrifice for getting new ones?

(But still - please provide a way to copy or backup annotations, highlights and shelves for My Documents. )

The cake is a lie.
Distinguished Correspondent
kc5455
0 Kudos

The last few pages of this post are posted on the wrong board. 

Please move. 

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
__Dr. Seuss
Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'd like a line on the book info page that lets you know what shelves a book is on.

Also, a "hard" shelf for finished/read books, that once you put a book on it, hides it on every other shelf you might have it on, until you remove the book from that shelf.

Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

Like many others, I think 1.5 is a great release.

One thing I'd like to see is the ability to put the NOOK into standby without turning on the touch screen.  It seems like a small thing, but should save battery power for those of us that can only find a few minutes at a time to read.  To put it into standby, you need to push the top button twice.  The first push turns on the touch screen.  If there was a pause of 1/4 to 1/2 second before the touch screen powers up, I should be able to go to standby before wasting power on lighting up the screen.  I know it'll go to standby automatically later, but if i know i'm not going to be reading for a while, i'd rather put it to sleep myself.

Contributor
mentalsolstice
0 Kudos

Bring back "Go to furthest read" feature...I used that more than anything else. Ability to remove items from the LCD menu, for instance, I don't read "the daily." If we can't remove things from the LCD menu, then let us have a way to prioritize and order items.

Inspired Contributor
MBenner
0 Kudos

JessHun wrote:

All I want is really a simple folder organisation with subfolders option. The ability to create/delete/edit  on the computer and sync to the nook ( much faster than doing on the nook ). I have authors that wrote several series, this just can't be handled with shelves.

i totaly agree we need some folder organstion on windows or beable to make folders on my computer then import them to the nook

To read is to know the Nook, and to read the Nook is to know...Quiet what you know depends upon your Nook. - Darkkin
Frequent Contributor
Tubby
0 Kudos

As a new nook owner with a decent B&N library collection, It would have been nice to be able to download the entire library from B&N instead of having to do them one at a time.  I realize that you wouldn't want all books to simultaneously download, but 3 at a time should be able to get them all in your first overnight charge no matter the size of your library.

This would also help if you ever had to deregister/re-register your nook to solve an unrealated problem or purchased a new one to replace a scratched screen.

Frequent Contributor
talea

I really like my nook, but one thing that I think would make it a little better would be the ability to download the free book, or the book offered by the Unbound: Nook and BN Reader Blog, directly from the Daily page. It gets annoying to read about the new free book, or other offer, then have to go to shop and search for it, and then sometimes to scroll through the search results to download the book. 

I'd like the ability to download the book directly, without having to go and look it up elsewhere. 

Contributor
davdav
0 Kudos

The one thing I would like to see improved in v1.6 is just overall speed. I still feel like the e-ink lags behind the touchscreen, which isn't that smooth as is. Just improve all scrolling on the touchscreen. If that happened, I think the Nook would be superior to the Kindle. However, it is just too laggy right now.

New User
devilishlydo
0 Kudos

I would really like to see menu-readility improvements that benefit people with less-than-perfect eyesight.

1) The ability to adjust font sizes in touch-screen menus and book lists, not just in the books themselves.

2) A "Show Covers" option for books listed under "My Documents".

My grandmother is an avid reader, but her eyes aren't what they used to be. She's pretty much depleted the supply of large-print books at the library and she's interested in getting an e-reader.

The Kindle was out of the question, because she can't read the print on any of the buttons AND the font sizes it has available are either too large or too small. The 'extra large' font size on the Nook, however, is just perfect. However, she still has a lot of trouble navigating the menu to actually get to the book she wants. Having differently-colored icons helps, as does having pictures of the covers. Unfortunately, these features don't apply to .epub formats downloaded from other sources such as The Gutenberg Project or for e-books borrowed from our local library network. With those, she'd be forced to navigate through a font that's even smaller than the 'medium' font for books (which is also too small).

I can understand that increasing the font size for the touch-screen menus too much could be problematic, but going from 4 menu options on screen at a time to 2-1/2 options would dramatically improve readability for those with failing eyesight. I'd also recommend that the font itself be adjusted, since the current Arial-ish font is sub-optimal.

I don't really understand why B&N thought to include options to increase font size for books, but not for menus. Still, I think a lot of potential readers would benefit greatly from this change, especially if it was easy to apply. (Say, via an option under Settings -> Display).

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

With regard to shelves, I'd (obviously) like to see the ability to manipulate the shelving system via my computer (a la calibre or some such), just like everyone else.

But short of that, I'd like the ability to hide shelves that I'm not using.  I'm not talking about wholesale shelf-hiding, but rather, if a shelf is empty, it doesn't show up on the e-ink screen.

As an example, my "my documents" folder is mostly "daily" or magazine content from calibre, plus library books (which, I create a shelf for each one labeled "library due: [date]").  my shelves are set up to reflect these "categories" (or really, tags).  But the shelf list is populated by a bunch of empty shelves that carry over from my B&N content (which are set up as "unread", "read", "classic", "reading now"), or even empty shelves from my documents (i.e., once I read an item in "daily news" it gets deleted, so that by mid-morning, that shelf is empty even within my documents).  I'd like just "active" shelves to appear on the screen.  Additional shelves could obviously still be held in reserve on the touch screen.