Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Whitecat5000
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

1. update the shelf feature to allow me to place books in the order i want to

2. allow me to use to shelf option from the B&N website

Pretty please!

New User
ErinW_007
0 Kudos

I carry my Nookcolor everywhere so now I have that & my yearly calendar in my purser.  It would be great if a calendar feature could be added to the Ncolor. 

Reader
sghltx95
0 Kudos

I have an  idea: bring back the "last page read" without having to be connected to BN.com!!  I  like to save my battery so the wifi is usually off.  And there are places I go where I can't connect.  So now, if I move around on pages, change books for a while, or what not, I'm never where I started.  Mostly, it wears down the battery a lot faster, which is probalby why they did it, but, more importantly, I find it as da#@ intrusive as well.  Why does BN.com need to know where I stopped?  I'm angry!

Contributor
Serry
0 Kudos

Partner with Tokyopop, Comixology, and all that good stuff to BRING MANGA TO THE NOOK!!!

RED RIVER by Chie Shinohara. Swear I'll buy all 28 books. PLEASE!

New User
NilusAF
0 Kudos

It'll be very good to have the possibility to set as screensaver the book cover

I'm reading.

In the end, with a paper book, when you close and place it on the desk what you

can see is its cover...

Inspired Contributor
boe0485
0 Kudos

I would like support for  XLS, DOC, TXT, DOCX, XLX files on my Nook.  These file types are supported on the Nook Color.

Contributor
RubyV

LarryOnLI wrote:

I love the 1.5 update. In 1.6 I just want improvements to the  way the shelves work:

1) Store shelf info in B&N online account so that if NOOK has to be replaced, or a new NOOK is added to the account, it gets all the shelf info.

2) When displaying library on e-ink screen: display a list of shelves and only display the contents of the shelf when it is selected.

3) Treat "unshelved" as a shelf, so I can make unshelved books appear at the top of a list instead of the end.

4) Allow custom sorting of titles within a shelf.

Also it would be nice if:

5) Allow selection of "current cover" as screensaver.

6) Wrap-around of library scrolling: When on the last page of the library display and next page is pressed go to the first page. When on the first page and previous page is pressed go to the last page.

Add to this:

Better note taking.  I was reading a few books for a lit class, and the note takng feature was nearly impossible to utilize. 

A way to create/organize shelves via PC

A way to combine side loaded and B&N content on shelves

New User
savlar

I understand that a lot of people like the nook the way it and use it for only reading.  However, I would like more features and increase the versality of the nook.  Just because you don't want the nook to become a media tablet, don't ruin for others who want to get more out of our investments by telling us to get another device.  Besides no one will be forcing you to add apps onto your nook.

I enjoy readin epub books on the nook and spend a few hours every day reading on my nook. 

I don't see how the firmware v1.5 was the biggest update for the nook.  There are many things that I would like to be included in the new update.

1. Support for more formats (doc, xls,and other).  These are supported on the nookColor.  There is no reason why they can't be on the nook.  B&N should understand that we all are not spending our entire time reading epub files.  The nook should provide a great reading experience and not narrow it down to just epub files.

2. Better support for reading pdf documents.  I am a scientist and I read a lot of pdf papers and the current nook is horrible with the pdf support.  Tables and graphs are dissambled and placed all over the document.  I tried using Calibre to convert them to epub, but it was not of much use.

3. Allow internet browsing using 3G.  I'm not asking for downloading data using 3G.  The data amount used just browsing is not much at all.  The kindle has had this feature for quite a while.  Also, it is ridiculous to think that people will but the 3G nook when they can spend $50 more for the nookColor.   I think that it is just silly to have 3G for just shopping B&N and reading "The Daily."

4. Let's get some apps that we can install on the nook.  When traveling, I may want to take a break from reading.  Having some apps that others have mentioned such as Pandora, games, or rss feeds would be a great addition.  More games would be great also.

5. Improve "The Daily." Face it, it's plain boring.  I hardly use it.  Why is Dave Berry's "Your New Nook" updated all the time when it's the same stuff over and over?  The blogs/reviews are not really reviews; they just summarize a random book.  Allow for something like a forum where nook users can submit their recommendations and discuss books and other things of their interest.  It could be like a virtual book club sort of thing.

6. Allow landscape mode when reading.  It would be a better reading experience and it is actually easier to hold the nook that way.

Contributor
JoshKing
0 Kudos

I could not agree more with this post.

I too have been considering a move to Kindle but am holding out that B&N will hear and listen to these post.

Reader 2
Splashtail

Also another thing I'd like would be a calender.

Frequent Contributor
Fizix
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

MrBanballow wrote:

Ability to move books around within Shelves. I've got two Shelves put in for "Hunger Games Trilogy" and "Millenium Trilogy". Now the only problem is that there still seems to be no way to put them in their proper order within the Shelf.

For instance, "Hunger Games Trilogy" is ordered as such...

Catching Fire (Book 2)

Mockingjay (Book 3)

The Hunger Games (Book 1)

... while "Millenium Trilogy" is ordered as follows...

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Book 3)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Book 2)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Book 1)

... other than that, I'm good.

Also...what about being able to put a single book on multiple shelves?  For example, a Stephen King book on a "Stephen King" shelf but also on a "Horror" shelf? 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Fizix wrote:

Also...what about being able to put a single book on multiple shelves?  For example, a Stephen King book on a "Stephen King" shelf but also on a "Horror" shelf? 

You can do this now.

Contributor
Djay46
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6 - Better Dictionary

The last time I tried to use the built in dictionary in my Nook it was the same old limited Pocket Edition dictionary. If this is still the case please consider adding a powerful dictionary. I have resorted to reading non-fiction books and certain fiction authors (Pat Conroy, etc) on Kindle software due to the more powerful and wide ranging dictionary. 

Thank you.

Contributor
covimom
0 Kudos

I agree to this one!!!!

Contributor
covimom
0 Kudos

First fix the freezing problem I did not have before 1.5.  Please hurry I love to read.. I love my Nook. I'm way frustrated with the freezing.

Second.  I want to be able to load a Bible and have quick access to book chapter and verse PLEASE!!!!!!! Unless some one out there knows of a Bible that works well with the Nook

New User
lara_marie
0 Kudos

I completely agree... you can already see the advances in the cnook but the updates for nook haven't been as drastic... i would love to see nook be able to be capable of having an area where applications could be downloaded for any kind of user just like the cnook. 

Reader 2
SandyC20
0 Kudos

I would like to be able to password protect a particular shelf that way if I loan it to someone I don't have to worry about them accessing a shelf or document they shouldn't.  Thanks.

Contributor
marytattoo
0 Kudos

I have many J.D. Robb books on a shelf labeled the same.  the books are listed in the order i purchased -- and i accidently purchased one in the "wrong" order.  so it is in the wrong order.  Recently i purchased some more in the series and they are now appearing BEFORE the first title in the series.  aaaaaaaagh!

New User
Manocat
0 Kudos

PDF zoom

Fitting the whole text to the screen, specially in format-rich files, is quite a nuisance. If the Nook incorporates Adobe Reader technology it shouldn't be very difficult to include zoom capability. Even the Linux based BeBook comes with 9 levels of zooming!

Reader 2
fredvg
0 Kudos

Re: PDF zoom

I love my Nook but I'd love it even more if I could have my Instapaper content sent to it over Wifi. This is the biggest advantage the Kindle has over Nook.  You can actually email documents to the Kindle (they charge $0.1 for it, and I wouldn't mind if BN charged for it too).  Imagine the convenience of having new content added without synching through USB!

Like I said, I would use this to 'autodeliver' my Instapaper content to my Nook but also to forward email with PDF docs that I need to review for work to my Nook.

The option to set the 'now reading' bookcover as a screensaver would be awesome but I assume the cover thumbnails are not big enough for this and BN would have to update their database with bigger images first.