Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
horsefactory
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

I received a Nook Classic for Christmas, and I'm enjoying it more by the day. This thread is rather long, and not sure if suggestions should still go here, but here we go.

1) Goto page functionality allowing us to input a page number, rather than using an inacurrate slider (inacurrate with large books, lots of pages).

2) Faster, less buggy touchscreen. Unfortunately I get the feeling this is limited by the hardware used and not the software.

3) PC management software. I have a decent-sized collection of white paper pdf files, and have them on the extra microSD card. It takes too long to organize them into shelves on the nook. I would prefer some way to organize them on PC and sync that with my nook.

4) Better paging. The issue with having books/pdfs with pages larger than the screen will display - maybe some better indication that you are on the same book page, but a different fraction of it? Currently there are problems with this remembering the last page (it stores the last book page, not the last displayed page portion).

5) Clean up references. I'm reading through Dracula, and the reference notes are handy, but they don't always work properly. It should be easier to flip back and forth between the reference the and reading place. The references also cause issues with the furthest reading point stored. As the reference notes are stored at the end of the book, the furthest reading point stored are the references and not the actual reading spot.

This is all I can think of for now. I would love to see an SDK for nook classic.

Reader 4
ItsNotATuba
0 Kudos

I think it would be great to change the highlighting to something like the browser does for navigating a webpage.  Have the box appear on the page, show that text on the touchscreen and then allow highlighting like the nook color.

New User
MxPxP86
0 Kudos

I am greatly enjoying the nook, but there are couple of niggling factors I could see improving the software. Here goes:

1. PDF Zoom. Kindle has it... what gives?

2. Hiding the beta web browser. and other homescreen buttons as an option. not essential, but why not?

3. RSS Feader. You allow B&N content as such, open it up!

4. Saw somewhere else in the ideas one for a notepad. this would be nice, if only...

5. Notes, highlights, annotations could be exported! Why is this not an option?!?! This is my single greatest criticism of the device. I belive Kindles have this option, as do Sony ereaders. In my opinion, this one capability needs to be incorporated to greatly enhance its usefulness. I don't know of anyone who doesn't highlight or take notes without the intention of being able to quickly go back to them for some other use. Having notes and highlights exist in a vacuum is next-to-useless (and for me, very frustrating!).

6. Having taken a significant amount of notes in a b&n ebook, my personal experience shows that the note taking capability slows to a crawl after a while. For me this was easy to test because having jumped into another b&n ebook and writing notes the process is noticeably faster. So, the notes are stored somewhere, and more notes bogs that one book down. This too should be fixed (but exporting would be preferred if I had to choose).

That's whats on my wishlist. Otherwise I'm enjoying it immensely. I like the ease of use across the board in all other elements of the device. Reading on it is a joy, and gets out of the way very well (except for the note taking criticism, please fix). I hope that B&N is not done giving updates to the device yet, here's to the next great 1.x update, or the possible 2.0!

Cheers

Reader
ssbainbridge
0 Kudos

Top items on my wishlist for nook classic-

• Font settings for the individual book instead of a global setting like it is now
  • The ability to use the RSS reader as an RSS reader and not just for B&N content, link it to my Google Reader and use it with 3G.  There is nookfeed now that will do this but it only works with the browser and the browser only works with WiFi.  I never even use the browser.
  • Ability to collapse the shelves and only see the shelf title in the library
  • Zoom feature in books for images. 
  • A "read" icon for books I have completed like the sample and new icons.  Maybe it could be something I choose to put there in the item details section, like the rating.

I'm sure most, if not all of these have already been sugested. 

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

PC based shelf management, and the ability to mark books as read, and hide read books when desired.

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

oh, and some way to manage series. I could put a series on a shelf, but it still wouldn't be in the right order

New User
mlent

Add zoom for illustrations in ebooks.  I am currently reading a book that has illustrations and it is frustrating not to be able to zoom in and pan the image to see it more clearly.

Frequent Contributor
maemae0410
0 Kudos

This seems really minor...but maybe away to "lock" the touch screen I am a fidgety. I have found myself accidently bumping my touch screen while reading and turning it on and a bunch of this runs the battery down...and usually i don't just bump the screen I end up exititng out of the book LOL.

I know we are supposed to be able to slide the touch pad to turn pages but the buttons are easier to me maybe some way to "lock" the screen like a two spot touch or a small lock button instead of anywhere...

not sure if this is more of a hardware fix if so please forgive!

~MaeMae~
Reader 2
Miss_Tall
0 Kudos

I'm sure it's been said, but since I haven't had the time to read through 14 pages I'll just reiterate it: the ability to switch the forward and backward buttons. I've always felt that it made more sense for the forward page button to be above the previous page button, and if I could switch that I would do so in a heartbeat!

Reader 4
spartanhockey
0 Kudos

Some easy way to go back to your page when you go to then endnotes. Maybe im missing something.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

spartanhockey wrote:

Some easy way to go back to your page when you go to then endnotes. Maybe im missing something.

If the e-book is properly constructed, you should be able to go back by selecting the endnote number and clicking the "o" button. So if you clicked the number "3" to get to the endnote, click the number "3" on the endnote to go back.

Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492

Re: Ideas for v1.6

I'm still waiting for my nook to have that ability to get me my blankie, maybe making me a nice cup of coffee or iced tea, depending on the weather.

Still major jealously between the cat and my nook.  She tries to lay on me and block my view when I read.  Maybe something she would enjoy, like something sparkley she can play with or make it smell like catnip.

New User
Ember89KS
0 Kudos

I would really like to see more organizational ability for music on version 1.6 instead of just the track list. Also, it would be nice if my audio book tracks weren't scattered throughout the rest of my music. It makes it near to impossible to actually play it in sequence. Also, a separate section for audiobooks and a separate section for music would be nice.

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

Gah, shelves are near useless if you have a lot of books currently. add a book, the ONLY way to get it on a shelf is to go page by page until you get to it, then put it on the shelf. If you find the book by searching even, there's no way to put it on a shelf. Please fix, and also make shelves accessible through the USB interface, so calibre devs can make it useful

Inspired Contributor
RVnook
0 Kudos

I've read some pretty good suggestions in this thread, as well as a few I disagree with or for which I see no point. However, my suggestion, given the recent release and success of the nook Color, is that there actually be a version 1.6 (or 2.0 as the case may be). Has anyone in an official status (or even semi-official) said anything regarding the future availability of updates for the Classic?

Distinguished Correspondent
F14Scott

[ Edited ]

1.  Add the ability for the user to define the four page turn buttons.  Suggested function options for each button could include: page forward, page backward, toggle wake/sleep touchscreen, toggle airplane mode, and sleep.

2. Integrate My B&N Library and My Documents, or at least have an additional category called All My Content.  I find having to change from the My B&N Library to My Documents to find a book cumbersome.

3. Allow the removal of What's New items from The Daily.  Having to sort through the items there and determining that three of the four of them have been there for months leads to my rarely visiting.

4.  Make my B&N.com account into a "virtual nook" that allows me to organize, categorize, shelve, annotate, nickname, delete, and in all other ways manipulate my collections AND the settings and preferences of the nook itself, including side-loaded content and (eventually) music.  This virtual nook, and all nook reader devices on a user's account, should sync the manipulations and keep all the readers lined up.  With the cost of cloud-based memory dropping rapidly, giving nook owners this feature would go a long way toward heading off the impending problem of managing a lifetime of eBooks.

5. Once #4 is complete, the SD card could become transparent.  If a reader does not have one installed, then 2GB is what he has to work with.  If a 4GB card is added, then the user would know that he has 6GB to work with.  Other than that, the user would not have to pick where places his side-loaded material. 

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

1.6  Update Wish List

1.  Cut down on cracked page turn buttons. By:

Ability to see what you've Recently Added on the first page in the library in My Documents instead of paging though all the pages to the end. 

My Documents-->Change View-->Sort By-->Recently Added category.  Put that content on the FIRST page so you don’t have to page though 60 plus pages to get to the content. I have over 500 sideloaded ebooks.   Right now I have to page though 60 plus pages in my library to see what was just loaded.  Might alleviate some page turn cracked button issues? 

My Documents-->Change View-->Sort By-->Reading Now.

My Documents-->Change View-->Sort By-->Recently Added

2. Highlights and Notes.  Have a List of them you can select from, like the Nook Color.  A Go To, Delete, Edit.

3.  Ability to see all Shelve contents that includes My Documents and My BN Library. 

4.  Show All Content that includes BN Library and My Documents.  I don’t want them integrated for a variety of reasons.

5. Show Covers in My Documents.

6. Folders within Shelves.  i.e. Sub folders.  This would help when you have a series by that author you want to separate.

7. Allow user specified dictionary, or them.  I read a lot of historical fiction and the majority of words aren’t found. 

8.  Ability to manage folders/shelves from the hard drive. Add, delete, make sub folders. This would be nice for Public Domain books if you have a lot of them.

The 1.5 update was really good.  At least BN is listening to their customers.  The Shelves and faster page turns were great.

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

Just a question here:

Has there been any official indication that there will, in fact, be a 1.6 update? I hope so, but do wonder, based on the seeming concentration on the nook apps for other platforms and the nook color, whether support for the nook classic is on its way out. I was a little disconcerted, when I got a new android smartphone a couple of weeks ago, that the nook app for the phone already has all the features I was hoping for, but did not appear, in the 1.5 update (the ability to sync highlights and notes being the biggie).

If there is going to be a 1.6 update, I'll put in my vote for my three most-desired features:

1. Ability to view notes and highlights (and skip to them) in one place.

2. Ability to sync highlights and notes between the nook device and the BN server (preserving notes across platforms the way it's now possible to preserve the last page read).

3. Zooming capability for PDF files.

Thanks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Beren wrote:

Just a question here:

Has there been any official indication that there will, in fact, be a 1.6 update? I hope so, but do wonder, based on the seeming concentration on the nook apps for other platforms and the nook color, whether support for the nook classic is on its way out. I was a little disconcerted, when I got a new android smartphone a couple of weeks ago, that the nook app for the phone already has all the features I was hoping for, but did not appear, in the 1.5 update (the ability to sync highlights and notes being the biggie).

If there is going to be a 1.6 update, I'll put in my vote for my three most-desired features:

1. Ability to view notes and highlights (and skip to them) in one place.

2. Ability to sync highlights and notes between the nook device and the BN server (preserving notes across platforms the way it's now possible to preserve the last page read).

3. Zooming capability for PDF files.

Thanks!

The nook and NookColor are two different products.  Only B&N knows for sure, but I doubt that the nook is on the way out.

Frequent Contributor
Jflin

Biggest suggestion:

At least the next 3 developers you hire, have them issued a Nook as they are employed.

This should be their ONLY source for reference.  Better:  Issue it to each as they are employed

Put on it all the "Regular" work stuff they may need....  Including:

• All the "Free" titles issued over the last 6 months
  • All their "Employee" documentation (Side loaded, since hey, it's not public).  Including such things as the "Employee Handbook", etc
  • Documentation for whatever their job is - e.g. a Nice reference manual for whichever languag(es) they will be expected to work with
  • At least one nice PDF file, e.g. the flow chart of how the software gets out the door
  • Side-Load at least 100 books from somewhere, in a variety of formats.  Include at least some Mystery, History, Romance, and Sci-Fi (Figure at least one will NOT be liked by whichever developer)

These should all be pre-loaded on the Nook, then hand it to them - Along with a gift card for them to buy another 20 or so NookBooks for their own reading.

Then see how annoying some of these things are for those of us trying to read it :smileywink:

Here is another to-do item for this poor developer:

1.  Deal with 200 books in your BN library, with say 1/3 of them read, and attempt to find something you are in the mood to read that you haven't read yet

2.  Deal with ~400 books in the "Side Loaded" content, of which say 40 or so should be "Reference" works, and another 50 or so should be "Read".  Again, attempt to find something you are in the mood to read

For both - Don't wimp out and just take the first one on the list, give it some thought.  Maybe today you want a short story, how get it?  Today a non-fiction work, and this time give me a medium-sized classic.  Then get the next book in that romance series you started