Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ThirstyForKnowledge
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Heritage07 wrote:
True 10 day or more battery life. If kindle can do it why can't the Nook?

This is my biggest disappointment with my Nook - the battery just doesn't last very long.  Maybe it's the color navigation screen that makes this more power hungry than the Kindle.  Still, if battery life could be significantly improved, that would make a huge difference in my opinion of the Nook versus other eReaders.

Contributor
ThirstyForKnowledge
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Unfortunately you can't please everyone no matter what you do.:smileywink:

Yes, you can!  That's what options are for!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

Re: Printing over wifi

ThirstyForKnowledge wrote:

CoryN wrote:

Make the Nook expose itself as a wifi printer, so people can have instant paperless printing from anywhere.  Print jobs can just be made into PDFs.

Hehe - you can't even print from "Nook for PC".  I'm sure it's a copyright issue - publishers don't want you to be able to easily print out their copyrighted material.  :-)

No, the opposite was asked for in the post, they want to print TO the nook. From a laptop or whatever, see something you want to print, rather than waste paper, print to the nook, it would come up as a pdf file on the nook.

New User
PennyMT
0 Kudos

My mother struggles to see the smaller print of her books.  Once she is in a book, the large text is wonderful, but selecting a book is a challenge because of the print size.  Is there a fix for this issue?

Frequent Contributor
nookpj
0 Kudos

Yes, I also want to be able to delete books directly from my Nook.  Also, .txt and .rtf file formats should be supported.  Then I can add my own written material making my Nook a useful personal resource.  I hope B&N is reading our comments - keeping the customers satisfied is very good business indeed.

Frequent Contributor
JMyers60
0 Kudos

I would love to see some form of a calendar or planner.
Reader
GreatExpectationsKD
0 Kudos

I am sure it has already been said, but I am not going to sift through 16 pages of suggestions. I want the ability to maintain my shelves on line with a drag-and-drop style interface. Maintaining them on the nook is a pain.

Wordsmith
shilohMD

I apologize if this has been offered up previously.  I started to skim through the previous messages, but it takes more time than I am willing to be away from my nook... :smileysad:

What  I would like is the ability to program the page forward and page back buttons. 

What I mean is that the lower buttons are page forward and the upper buttons are page back.  I typically hold the nook with left thumb on the upper button, and the right thumb on the lower button.  So right press advances and left retreats.  If (to change position to avoid fatigue, etc). I wanted to hold the nook with right thumb on top and left on bottom, this would obviously reverse things.  Having my brain work on that reduces brainpower focused on reading.

If I could program the action of each button, that would be good.  I could, for example, program both left buttons for page back, and both right butons for page forward, and that would solve my problem.  Left-handers could (as most things in life) reverse that to meet their needs.

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Frequent Contributor
dave50
0 Kudos

Let me begin by thanking B&N and the programmers who worked on the 1.5 release - the inclusion of My Documents in the new shelving system shows a willingness to listen to customer concerns while the increase in page turning speed and improved contrast are simply magnificent feats of software engineering! Kudos all around.

I also believe support of the "Nook Classic" platform will remain strong, simply because the Nook Color is a complimentary product supporting B&N's expansion into the epublishing realm, competing not only with Amazon but with the WeTab and Copia as well. The Classic Nook shouldn't be considered an "entry level" product, any more than a paperback book is an "entry level" glossy magazine.

With that in mind, I've updated my list of desired features (culled from numerous postings) and split it into 3 sections: Hardware to include in the "Nook2", software enhancements to the core reading experience, and optional software offering extended functionality apps for those who choose to download them (I sympathize with those who wish to keep their Nooks simple, dedicated ereaders - why  should their use be encumbered by excess code to handle extraneous functions they'll  never use?)

Let's assume the Nook2 has only a few additional hardware features (in descending order of importance) ajj at no increase in retail price:
1) 8GB standard as internal SDHC Class 6 card (upgradeable to 32GB for a device grand total onboard of 64GB). And if increasing the SDRAM to 512MB would help with  PDF reflow, by all means feel free!
2) Faster CPU to improve overall responsiveness
3) Bluetooth in addition to existing WiFi 802.11g (and optional 3G) for HID keyboard option (a physical folding keyboard / dock would enhance eWriter capability)
4) GPS chip for geolocation (LT SiRF Star III GPS chipset?). Everything from Google Maps to personalized travel itineraries and "My Rand McNally" could make use of this.
5) An accelerometer with automatic portrait/landscape rotation is expected by Android (and a shake interface would be nice for page turning), although manual configuration should override
6) Upgrade LCD touchpanel from 144x480 to 200x600. Why? To seamlessly extend the eink panel as the bottom fifth of a 600x1000 display, simplifying the API while providing a scooch more real estate for apps.
7) A simple sliding cover over the LCD touchscreen to prevent accidental command entry
8) A built-in microphone (as well as ability to use Bluetooth mikes) for voice memos (and possibly Google Voice integration)
9) Slimmer / lighter weight and longer battery life while we're at it.

The true enhancements are primarily software, most of which should be backwards-compatible to the original Nook as well: Most of the suggestions below have been culled from the 1.5 enhancements thread and amended with some "how to" approaches. Many are upgrades to core e-reader functionality and are listed first.

1) Add configurable subdirectory support - probably the #1 request. The "My Shelves" facility is very useful (itself needing to treat "Unshelved" as just another shelf) and the inclusion of sideloaded "My Documents" proves that B&N is listening to its customers' desires. Happily, true subdirectory support can compliment the "shelves" approach by treating a subdirectory as just another file which can itself be shelved! This could be implemented by generating a pseudo-cover consisting of the Nook "arch" icon imprinted with the parent directory name along the top curve and in the opening with the next subdirectory - just tap one or the other to follow. Within a subdirectory the existing flattened list "CoverFlow" convention would be used for consistency (subject to sort and filter options below). Turning off all options would yield a single, homogenous list including both the B&N Library and My Documents (sorted as configured below), while selecting only the top-level "B&N Library / My Documents" division would emulate the current default (final option would be to "Display All Subdirectories"). Note that shelves would be treated as "alternative root" directories (shelves may contain subdirectories but subdirectories could not "contain" shelves - although each file under a subdirectory may be included on one or more shelves).
2) Organization within folders would be preserved and serve as the default list view unless sorted explicitly by metadata (i.e. all metadata fields would have a "Sort By" number 1, 2, 3, etc. so the user could configure as simply as "Title" or compound like "Genre"+"Author"+ "Series Name"+ "Original Publication Date"). This would of course be configured independently for each subdirectory.or shelf.
3) Filters on both file attributes (e.g., audio vz. text formats) and metadata (including Calibre tagging support) to view only 'Nonfiction' books with ("Homestead" in the title, or by author "Kern"), or 'like current' with toggle between resident library and a "see also" list of matching bookstore content available to purchase (this would fulfill both the "More by this Author" and "Next in Series" alert requests as well)...
4) Implementing the above requires orthogonal functionality, handling all lists - local or remote - alike (so My Documents inherently offers thumbnail covers and searching as well as Archiving / Hiding) while audio files would fetch album cover art, etc.
5) Named bookmarks (defaulting to "Page nn") which may also carry annotations if desired. If attached to cover, they apply to the book as a whole and could carry user-defined metadata such as "Have Read / Reading / Read Next" - ideally via a user-defined template carried as XML "under the covers". Notes and Bookmarks may be exported as XML independently. The often-requested "Go To Page" feature could prompt "Page Number ___ of 9999" on LCD but allow the entry of a named bookmark as well (with horizontally scrolling text entry), dropping an implied bookmark at point of departure so hitting the Prev Page button instead of entering a page number would return to each previous anchor point...
6) Ability to download Gutenberg / library / etc. ebooks directly to device via browser over WiFi as well as archive / hide / mark files for deletion from the Nook itself; perhaps drawing an "X" atop the cover image? First time dims it, second time confirms "zap" to archive...
7) "Screensaver" defaults to current cover unless overridden; other options include the often-requested "Recently Read" list of last 5 titles accessed, or could toggle / configure to a similar list of "Recent Bookmarks", all with one-touch quick access via LCD softbuttons "1" - "5". Perhaps option to load current Astronomy Picture Of the Day or your favorite comic from United Media? (see PIM option "l" below). Actually, could use any app as 'screensaver' static display via "save e-ink display as PNG" snapshot feature!
8) Although the ePub standard declares that ereaders "should not" execute scripting found inside ebooks, allow toggling of full scripting support at least within the browser, with Javascript, HTML5 and CSS3 so TiddlyWiki technology becomes available to users. Better than a journal or simple notetaking app! (Sony's old PRS-505 supported Javascript)
9) Reconfigure the button assignments from a list of available functions. Many people would prefer 'Page Fwd' / 'Page Back' on the dominant hand edge only. The other two could become context-sensitive, such as next/prev directory in tree or next/prev Bookmark, etc.
10) Text To Speech - essential if only as a "me, too!" when compared against the Kindle
11) Improved "Best In Class" PDF support with pan and zoom as well as landscape rotation and user-configurable margins (should be made available for all formats as well) - if necessary, license the iPod's GoodReader (offering integrated sticky notes which could be used as basis for named bookmarks) if adaptable so that pop-ups appear on LCD
12) If a document has an extensive tree-structured index (like the Bible) automatically echo it to the LCD for rapidly-scrolling random access. An example may be found at the Mobileread forum (epub direct download: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/attachment.php?s=4e5ad0af21e25e1e235be022f4966e28&attachmentid=420)...
13) Virtual printer driver allowing output from desktop directly to epaper either as a new document or appending to existing document so we can carry recipes and resumes in our magic journal... (available on Samsung's E60)
14) Download local copy of Wikipedia for WikiReader / WikiTaxi functionality - tight integration as with dictionary, although pop-up info should be displayed on LCD (like stickynotes) rather than eink panel so as to preserve context side-by-side! Would be very, very nice if something similar could be done with the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica (refer to http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Alphabetical_index)!
15) It would be nice if the browser offered a configuration option of "plain text" mode, supressing all graphics (but still executing applicable scripts if turned on) and rendering page as simply as possible to fit on epaper - but only as a "print to eink" option, with interactivity running entirely on LCD touchpad! Opera Mobile / Unite should be adequate but also see text-mode browser (e.g. http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.7/index.html)
16) Upgrade Android to version 3 and open up development with SDK for 3rd. party app store alongside bookstore.(particularly for the PDA-related functions). Optional but demonstrates long-term commitment.
17) PIM applications suite (at least approaching the power of the Apple MessagePad/Newton or Hi-CE Palm apps of a decade ago) as optional downloads (so those who wish to keep their Nooks "pure" may do so) empowering content creation as well as consumption, including:
a. POP3 email client in addition to Google's mobile gmail
b. Calendar / GTD Scheduler (ideally with automatic email parsing similar to Newton) - another good app for TiddlyWiki (see http://mgsd.tiddlyspot.com/#mGSD)
c. Tornado Notes type sticky notes (in or out of calendar - could be used as named bookmarks also) with tags & alarms as well as graphic doodling equivalent to Palm's Sketchy (yes, the 480x144 LCD is a tad small for freehand drawing, but still useful - after all, the Palm V boasted only 160x160x4 greyscale); option to "mesh" collaboratively with other Nooks so every member of group gets updated in realtime (like the "journeybook" of fantasy...)
d. Franklin Ascend homage (see http://waxandwane.org/beeswax/beeswax.html),
e. Word processor equivalent to FreeWrite, offering additional fonts usable for reading as well
f. Outliner / Mind Mapping / "thought processor" similar to FreeMind or classic More 3.1
g. GPS integration to Google Maps with offline caching,
h. Configurable database equivalent to HandyShopper (ideally using eXist as the engine),
i. RSS Bandit style aggregator for RSS / Atom / Open Data feeds collected as "My Daily" ala' Flipboard or NewsRack
j. RSS / Atom / Open Data feeds may also be captured as key / value pairs or eXist XML (e.g., delivery of store prices for the UPC codes in your shopping list). Syndication would thus offer another method of "meshing" your Nook with friends...
k. Digital voice recorder with optional host-based Google Voice transcription into epub document,
l. Comic book reader with feeds from United Media, Dilbert, etc. - could tie into screensaver function as well.
m. Playlist support for audio files - essential for organizing the audio bible available from firefightersforchrist.org
n. Handwriting recognition across all apps (after all, we're accustomed to signing our names on card swipers now!)
o. PGP encryption option for all content
p. Twitter client (on LCD only, but archiving to epub doc if desired for review as document)
q. Stellarium virtual planetarium would be a good fit and could generate screensavers as well
r. Dan Bricklin's WikiCalc might be useful as well, particularly in its OLPC incarnation
s. Interactive Fiction is a natural fit, starting with a local Frotz interpreter - see http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/Welcome.html & http://www.ifarchive.org
t. Clipboard similar to EverNote or Tomboy. Distinct from simpler "Tornado Notes" pop-ups employed for named bookmarks / calendar to-do
u. A native PostScript interpreter would be very appropriate and could even tie into #13 above by allowing use of any PostScript printer driver (with appropriate paper sizing)... Please refer to http://www.tinaja.com for an idea of the potential for Postscript-based applications
v. Dataviz' Documents To Go suite enabling support of M$ Office files (display and edit) - already available for Android
w. Integration with popular online services like Remember The Milk and DropBox, bypassing the browser default interface for optimized utility. Also Quickpedia for Android 1.07 is a fine example of an applet tweaking the UI for a web site.

Contributor
Arainais
0 Kudos

I, like many others, want to be able to organize my shelves via the PC.  I would like to be able to do this using calibre.  Calibre can organize the sony reader's collections, which are similar to the nook's shelves, and I am jealous. =)  Other than that, I'm good.  I <3 my nook!

New User
JulJI
0 Kudos

My PDA went dead and I'd like to replace it with a Nook Color (love my old NOOK!). But I need to link to my Outlook Calendar. This would be a useful addition to many!

Distinguished Correspondent
Sir_Vikin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Personally I would rather see "The Daily" dissappear and be replaced with either a calendar of some sort or a dedicated "shelving" feature..  I mean come on, I've only used "The Daily" twice since I bought my Nook, and the second time was by accident.  Get rid of it and replace it with something useful like a Calendar feature or turn it into a dedicated "shelving" feature..

“We all boil at different degrees” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

Sir_Vikin wrote:

Personally I would rather see "The Daily" dissappear and be replaced with either a calendar of some sort or a dedicated "shelving" feature..  I mean come on, I've only used "The Daily" twice since I bought my Nook, and the second time was by accident.  Get rid of it and replace it with something useful like a Calendar feature or turn it into a dedicated "shelving" feature..

that isn't likely to happen, as the daily is basically a marketing tool from B&N. Now turning it into a feed reader, with the daily at the top, that would just be an extension of what it is now, and a possibility for B&N to actually want to do. Replacing with calendar or shelving, those are completely different applications, no relation to the daily at all, and a bunch of programming involved.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

1. Revive the Daily--B&N Review content, weekly best sellers list, more choice of blog feeds (Amazon just announced a choice of feeds for Kindle this week!  :smileywink:)
  2. Return the Last Page Read feature
  3. Improve Highlighting and Notetaking
  4. Combine My B&N Library and My Documnets

Distinguished Correspondent
Sir_Vikin

True it would entail some coding/programming, but it would be better than leaving "The daily" sitting there lifeless doing absolutely nothing..  Now, if they revive it and allow you to subscribe to different blogs/feeds then I am all for keeping it.  Right now it is just a waste to have such a potentially useful feature sitting there not being used or made into something more useful..

They should be looking at this as a way to enhance the Nook and its appeal/value, and if "the daily" can be used to do so then they should be all over it.

“We all boil at different degrees” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

New User
flash739

I have had my nook since Christmas 2010. One huge flaw right now is the highlighting. I have highlighted SO much in a book I purchased from B&N, only to find out there is no way to look up JUST the highlights. WHat was the point in NAMING the notes/highlights if I can't even look them up? Can someone explain to me if I am missing something here? I book marked certain pages for different reasons, but not my highlights.

Contributor
marytattoo
0 Kudos

I upgraded to the Nook color a few weeks ago. Ive been adding audio content to the music file from Itunes. What is disappointing is that I cant get things loaded by artist. In Itunes, many things load as "introduction" or "track 3". When loaded into the color Nook, all of the "introductions" come up grouped together and so forth. I am unable to listen to an album entirely itself. :smileysad:
Contributor
Gunmetalgray

Here are my Nook suggestions:

- Ability to zoom in on images and PDF files.

I read a lot of fantasy books with maps. I need to see the fine details. Especially in eBooks. I'm currently reading Homeland by R. A. Salvatore, and the map of Menzoberranzan included in the eBook is useless at its size.

- Left justification.

This speaks for itself, I think. If not: read this http://sfwriter.com/blog/?p=2262.

- Show covers for My Documents. 

This shouldn't be too difficult to implement. I mean you already give us the option to add a cover as  a .jpeg image.

I have had my Nook for about a week now. I'm sure I'll come up with more. But these are my main issues.

New User
orcinus63
0 Kudos

I have to agree with atarikid in that support for username/password input would be great... I'd like to see a firmware update on this since our college is starting to use e-textbooks.

Contributor
Dacov
0 Kudos

Be nice if they could make it a little more user friendly. The Nook color is so much easier to use.

Dacov