Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

I'd like to see something else added than just Daybook. I liked Grin & Tonic and if B&N isn't going to pick it back up I'd like something else other than just the one thing I'm stuck with on nook. 

To me, when nook came out I was under the impression the Daily section would have a bunch of different things like short stories, poems, and various literary news on authors and what their latest projects are. Something small you can read quickly before your on the move. Hence, the coffee cup icon. But having only 1 thing that updates every day or every other day doesn't really fit the original conception of The Daily section. 

Plz re-work it and give more goodies!!!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jadjuka wrote:

when nook came out I was under the impression the Daily section would have a bunch of different things like short stories, poems, and various literary news on authors and what their latest projects are.

That sounds exactly like More In Store. I suspect something got confused.

If you want more things in The Daily, subscribe to some newspapers and magazines. That's the main focus of The Daily.

Contributor
MarieH
0 Kudos

1. The ability to upload other formats than mp3...say wma or wmv formats for music and audio books?

2. Also highlight per word as you start to highlight instead of using parenthesis.  That way you see clearly which ones are included in the highlights. Likewise with looking up for definition of words. Highlighting of words as you tap the arrow buttons is way better than cursor moving around.

3. Option to turn on/off the wi-fi, rather than disconnecting them.  Coz disconnecting means you would have to forget the password in order for it to stop connecting.  The only way my wi-fi stays disconnected is by turning on the airplane mode.  Unless there's a way to do it, I need help please ☺!

Other than all of these, I'm pretty content and settled with what Nook v1.5 offers.  Unless I've seen more then I will be more than happy to enlist all here.  Thanks!!

Contributor
Dacov
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

What I finally did was to assign a number just before the shelf name.

1.  Classics

2.  Mysteries    etc.

You can easily put the shelves into the whatever order you choose using this method.

Dacov
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

3. Option to turn on/off the wi-fi, rather than disconnecting them.  Coz disconnecting means you would have to forget the password in order for it to stop connecting.  The only way my wi-fi stays disconnected is by turning on the airplane mode.  Unless there's a way to do it, I need help please ☺!

That's technically the way you're supposed to turn off WiFi.  Airplane mode turns off the device's ability to connect.  There's no need to be able to turn off WiFi (I assuming you have a WiFi only model) because it is effectively turned off when you put the device in airplane mode.  Why would you want to turn off airplane mode but disconnect the WiFi?

Frequent Contributor
CMarion
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6- Automated update of password change and email change

Currently you must unregister your NOOK, then change your password or email, then reregister your NOOK. I lost my password and went through hell to figure this out. Luckily, after searching high and low, I found the old password on a scrap of paper. I had to then change my email and password back to the old one, then unregister the NOOK, change the password and email, and re-register the NOOK. Another 2 hours of my life gone....I could have been reading!

OH, second item. My shelves are gone. Unregistering must have wiped out my shelves...ok, another hour to reshelve (if I even bother, this is not the easiest way to sort my books, how about folders when I'm hooked to my computer that show up on the screen????? Shelving that many books is about as convenient as moving my paper library to a new house!

Contributor
jayh3
0 Kudos

Download the Calibre program and rename the books with the number before the title (edit metafile) to see them in thier series order.  You have to remember to use the convert button to save the name change. Renaming the file name doesn't work.

Contributor
jayh3
0 Kudos

i would really like cover flow for the books in "My  Documents"!!!!!!

Also a beginners level for Sodoku.

Contributor
biergirl
0 Kudos

I would like to see more games i.e. crosswords, word search, etc. on the wi-fi 3G Nook and also are updates going to be made to the Web to make it more user friendly like the Nook Color?  After seeing the Web on the Nook Color it is a whole lot easier to navigate than the original Nook.  Of anything, I am most disappointed with the Web navigation on my wi-fi 3G Nook.  Will my requests be taken into consideration or are they already being talked about?  Thank you. 

Inspired Correspondent
SHissong
0 Kudos

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I wish that you could "Go To" >> "Chapter" and actually go to a chapter like you used to with V1.4.  Now this only lets you go to major parts of a book.

This is my biggest gripe so far with 1.5.

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

SHissong wrote:

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but I wish that you could "Go To" >> "Chapter" and actually go to a chapter like you used to with V1.4.  Now this only lets you go to major parts of a book.

This is my biggest gripe so far with 1.5.

I'm unclear on this...I see a "go to chapter" command...??
"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:
I'm unclear on this...I see a "go to chapter" command...??

For whatever reason, books with "Parts" (ie Part One, Part Two, Part Three) and chapters no longer function like books with chapters.

In a "normal" novel that has 52 chapters, we can jump to any of those chapters.

If that same novel were broken up with "Part One" having 26 chapters, "Part Two" having 16 chapters and "Part Three" having ten chapters, we can only jump to "Part One", "Part Two", or "Part Three", not Chapter 37.

In v1.4, this was possible.  In v1.5 it isn't.  It has to be part of how the software reads TOCs, but as I'm not a programmer, I'm not hazarding a guess as to what they actually changed...

New User
p3busman
0 Kudos

17 pages of posts are a lot to go through, so please forgive me if this has been brought up already.  Options I would like to see in the next software update are:

1) Allow the Nook to go into standby with the book text remaining on the eink screen...If the Nook is said to only use power on a page turn (or when the color screen is lit-up) why does it need to go into standby?

2) Ability to take the Nook out of standby without the color screen turning on.  Ability to put the nook into standby without first having the color screen turn on.  I know I can quickly press the standby/power button twice (to go into standby) and not have the color screen light up.  It would be nice to be able to do this with one press.

3) The ability to take the Nook out of standby with the press of a page turn button (without having the page turn).  Maybe an icon can be displayed at the top of the eink screen to indicate the Nook has gone into standby.

All the above made configurable in the settings.

New User
DanDare208
0 Kudos

Listing Titles by publishing date would be a nice option and should list books in series order also.

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

One thing I'd like to see is having text sizes and margins be identical in all the NookBooks. Most books I read on small, but on some, the print is so small that I have to read on large to get text the same size.

New User
Gordies
0 Kudos

I would really like to see more games that can be downloaded onto the nook.  I dont play Sudoku nor chess would like to see maybe crossword puzzles or word finds.  Just a suggestion.

Contributor
DP_KY

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6 - Easier shopping for the next book

One challenge I have found is when I go shopping from by Nook classic for my next book.

If I like an author and and want to find the next related book in the series or from this author, I typically end up going on-line to find the title.  

I think we need a new menu option within a book.  Something like, "shop for the next book from this author and / or find next book in this series".   It would be good to have a similar search option from the Nook store both on the Nook and on-line.

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6 - Easier shopping for the next book

I still think they should be able to offer one free crossword a day (a fairly easy one), and then have subscriptions for others. (Something on the NYT crossword level, for instance.)

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

One thing I'd like to see is a "Contact Info" button, or something simular, where you could put contact information (as much or as little as you'd like), that someone could contact you with should you happen to lose your Nook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

I think it might be nice to have default shelves to select as an option.  This may sound stupid, but it is really difficult to go through pages of books to put them on shelves.  For the lazy amongst us, it might be nice to have the option to pick default shelves based upon the book categories on BN that the books are placed under.

This may not be possible and may even be a stupid idea, but I have started many times to create shelves for my nook and just give up.  I told you I'm lazy.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.