01-18-2011 09:53 AM
1. Mark a book as Read
2. Another language dictionaries (for example, Spanish)
3. Directory on nook to put customized text fonts
4. Control of text align from nook: left, right, center, justified
5. Saving of independent view options for each book (Font Size, Font type, text align, margins, ... )
6. Support for tags sync with Calibre, link Shelves with Tags, for easy distribution of books from PC
7. Option to reverse page buttons
8. Option to reorder touch screen buttons
9. Pdf reading improvement: Zoom, Pan, Landscape, ...
10. Collapse Shelves
11. Covers view of My Documents, as My B&N Library
01-18-2011 03:01 PM
Haven't read all responses, but my biggest urghh!!
Please list bookmarks in NUMERICAL order(or at least offer an option in which to sort), NOT the order in which they were made.
For instance, in reading my last book, character x was brought up on page 38(which as an introduction to a lot of characters), when they got back to him on page 429. But then another chacter introduced also on 38 is on page 510, but page 38 was listed AFTER 429 because of order in which they were made...
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
01-18-2011 07:56 PM
I have had the original Nook for a few days now. I really went back and forth between the Nook and Kindle. There were things I liked and disliked about each, but I ultimately went with the Nook. From my first impressions, I would like to see the following in 1.6:
1. A 1.6 update in any form. One of my worries about getting a Nook is that they would stop supporting it because of the color Nook. Hopefully they will continue to support the original Nook.
2. As for specifics, I would like to be able to re-arrange the icons in the color screen to put the ones you use the most up front.
3. The ability to jump to specific highlights and notes. You can do this with bookmarks, but not with highlights and notes. I don't want to have to bookmark every page where I put a highlight in order to be able to jump to a highlight. Plus, I don't want to have to remember every where I put a highlight. If they were able to allow you to jump to a bookmark, why not highlights and notes?
4. Screen rotation to landscape view like the Kindle.
5. Some type of markers that tells you the beginning of each chapter of the book you are reading. I don't like to stop reading in the middle of a chapter. So instead of having to forward to find out where the next chapter begins, it would be nice if they had little "hash marks" or something like that on the page number bar that tells you where each new chapter begins. That way, as you are forwarding from page to page, you will see how close you are to the next chapter.
6. Being able to choose different line spacing like on the Kindle. It is nice to be able to choose different fonts and different sizes, but it would be nice to choose different space settings between each line you are reading.
7. Combining the My B&N Folder with the My Documents Folder. Do we need two separate folders? I know the specifics of why there are two folders, but is there some way to combine them?
While this seems like a lot, I think these are small changes that would really enhance the Nook.
01-19-2011 11:44 PM
I am pretty pleased with 1.5. I was shocked that they allowed shelves in the My Docs section as they only said B&N Library before the update was released in press statments, etc. Those sly devils..lol
I would like to see:
1. Ability to subcatergorize shelves..for example.
Mary Russell Series
The Beekeeper's Apprentice
and etc..this make sense?
2. Better dictionary.. dictionary seriously need A LOT of work. I read a lot of historical fiction and there are a lot of words that aren't used anymore and the dictionary doesnt know the word and it defeats the purpose..
3. The ability to know how many pages until the next chapter. I saw that they attempted this with the go to page feature where it lists what chapter that page is on, but trying to land on an exact page is like a specific science. I never ever get the right page like ever. I am always skipping ahead to count how many pages until I have a good stopping point. This would be nice to have, but I can continue to do what I have been doing. It seems to work for now.
I think that is about it. I mainly only read on my nook, so internet and games features arent really a big deal for me. Although a crossword feature would be nice though.
Overall good job B&N and the page turns are absolutely epic..I loved my nook before and now I really love my nook..
Totally agree about the pages. I use my nook bible a lot in church and maneuvering that is a night mare. If I knew how many pages in a chapter or in this case a book even it might be better.
Also in the same subject if they had side arrows not just up and down, it would be better to get to a chapter in the bible than to hit the down arrow 84 times when trying to get to psalm 85. Don't know if that is a nook thing or something specific to that book.
Also would like to see a wrap around for book title pages. I know you can browse book covers, but when I am looking through the pages of book titles I have and realize the book I want is on the last page, I want to go back a page to that and not have to go forward all the way. The same when you are in the store and looking at the specials.
01-21-2011 12:37 AM
There must be an easier way to access HTML files stored on the Nook. Currently I have to enter a local address in the browser, but it would much easier if I could just go to "My Documents" to look it up. This would be a great feature.
I'd also like to be able to add my own feeds. I know there will be issues with formatting, but it would be great if I could sync it with Google and store it right on my Nook.
How much more difficult would it be to add TXT and RTF support? If I'm taking a class there are times when it would be great to load my notes and review them without having to lug around my laptop. Sometimes I just feel incredibly lazy and want to look at them while I sit on the couch and not have to hold a laptop.
I also agree with another post that it would be great to purchase MP3s directly on the Nook (or at least download them directly and manage them locally). I'm sure you guys know that the more convenient it is to purchase products the more we'll buy.
Probably my biggest complaint (and I know this is not directly a firmware issue) is the fact that there are so many magazines formatted for the NookColor and so few for the Nook. Amazon has managed to get many of these formatted for the Kindle so why is this such an issue for the Nook? I was very disappointed when I realized so many of them were only available on the Nook Color. I know the graphics would be disappointing, but I didn't buy the Nook for its graphics capability. I bought it because I travel internationally and often don't have time to plug in to fully charge something like the Nook Color. Besides, I'm interested in reading the articles, not looking at pretty pictures.
01-21-2011 09:59 AM
Please bring back the Go To Last Page Read feature. I can't tell you how many times I have done a "find" to look back to see where I have last seen a character, then not been able to find my place. (I know if you have the wi-fi on you can use the Go to last saved page feature, but I leave the wi-fi off to save battery life.)
Last night I accidentally hit the back arrow and ended up on page one, then had a dickens of a time finding the page where I stopped reading.
Also, it would be nice if when you tried to go to a certain page number, it would bring up the keyboard where you could just type in the number instead of trying to drag that bar to the page number you are looking for.
These are just minor "whines" thought - I do love my NOOK!
01-21-2011 11:25 AM
PLEASE give us back the FURTHEST READ POINT feature.
Please make it so that when we make several HIGHLIGHTS/NOTES in a book we can be given a list of those, as we are with bookmarks. Currently, in order to find our highlights we must also bookmark each page but that is an extra and unnecessary step that takes time.
Please make these changes. I miss the former functionality of Furthest Read Point.
01-21-2011 03:28 PM
My most desired improvements:
(1) Bring back furthest page read (yes, I know it could cause issues/confusion if you page to an endnote, but honestly for me, that's much more rare than the situation where I just want to go back a few pages and then return to my former spot)
(2) Replace "go to page" slider with... anything other than the useless slider.
(3) Revamp functionality of highlights and notes so they are actually functional
(4) Allow different shelves for My Library and My Documents (I don't know why they're separate, but since they are, let us take advantage of that - eg, I want a shelf for Library Books in My Docs and a shelf for Samples in My Lib. It's minor but annoying from an organization point of view.)
(5) Allow shelving/organizing books online (in B&N acct or My Docs folder), which can sync to nook
01-21-2011 07:26 PM
Yes, yes, yes. Shelves are fine if you have less than 20 books, but with more, it becomes a time consuming process. Having the ability to do it by folder from my computer would be a vast improvement.
Also, when I changed by email and password, I had to unregistered and reregister the Nook which wiped out my shelves. Why would this happen? I lost nothing else, online or on the nook???
This certainly makes me hesitate to reshelve again....right now I am simply waiting for 1.6.
01-21-2011 07:28 PM
And this is convenient. Yes we can do it, but why would I spend the time. We need a better solution for Nook. I would rather spend the time reading.
01-21-2011 07:53 PM
Not all ebooks are created the same. The authoring software, the process used to created the ebook and many other factors affect the quality of the final product. There is currently no standard. You can create an epub from InDesign, convert from a PDF, create from a Word document and so on. Each software and process reads into the epub differently. This affects margins, space between paragraphs, indents and so on.
This means that you get well designed epubs and you get cranky ones. Neither the user or B&N can control this. Just like I've had books that were well bound and others that shed pages everytime I opened them.
Therefore, some ebooks change fonts effortlessly and some don't.
01-21-2011 08:02 PM
Simply go back to the cover and the page number listing with title resets. I would like a "read" catagory. THe KOBO does this and it is a very basic ereader.
01-21-2011 08:09 PM
Gene, to your last comments on the Nook Color. I too prefer e-ink over a back lit screen and power eating display.
Please B&N continue to support those of us who simply want to read books and not turn our book reader into an i-pad.
01-23-2011 02:24 PM
I would love to have the tag/share in Facebook or Twitter option.
If I have a 3G/Wi-fi Nook not sure why we couldn't be able to do that if they can do it on the Nook Color. So I don't think this is something to hard to ask for
I notice I can't take notes on pdfs files, that would be nice to have too.
01-24-2011 01:24 AM
Hi, I'm new to the B & N communities, so forgive me for my ignorance. I would like to be able to add an RSS feed to my Author's page. I've seen the blog roll here and haven't been able to figure out how to add my blog to the roll or start a blog on B & N. If someone could give me a clue; that would be AWESOME... In the mean time, I sincerely hope you are able to find and enjoy my eBooks.
01-25-2011 06:31 AM
The only thing that I care to have is collapsable shelves.
I really like having the availability of all sorts of genre and style available to read at anytime. But some of my shelves are huge (classics is the worst) and unless I need to access those books, it would be nice to not have to flip through the pages when I'm trying to browse for a book to strike me.