Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Terry27AZ
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Yes 3G internet should have been available for the NOOK Color!  And what's with the Android platform and not being able to access and download Android apps! 

NOOK color could use some updates.  My cell phone has more capabilities.  Kinda sad. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Terry27AZ wrote:

Yes 3G internet should have been available for the NOOK Color!  And what's with the Android platform and not being able to access and download Android apps! 

NOOK color could use some updates.  My cell phone has more capabilities.  Kinda sad. 

Please put that in the NOOKColor feature request thread.

V1.6 is for NOOK, not NOOKColor.  

Contributor
JoshKing
0 Kudos

I have been reading two books lately. One feature that would be nice is for the Nook to remember preference settings for each book. When I go between the two books I have to adjust the font size every time. It would be nice to set it once and every time I open that book it be as I originally set it.

I say this everytime....

Twitter/Facebook integration like the Kindle 3.

That is all for me. I love it other than those two small things.

Contributor
JulieG8r
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

Actually, I believe the NookColor does have some enhanced LendMe features that the original Nook does not, such as the capability to see what books your friends have that are lendable. If the original Nook can do this, please tell me how.

I have had the original Nook since last April and my mom just got one for Christmas. Several of my friends got the NookColor for Christmas too. The enhanced LendMe features would go a long way to keeping all Nook owners happy and creating a cohesive Nook community.

I've been reading this message board for a long time, but just decided to join in. I like a lot of the ideas that others have suggested for V1.6, but I tend to agree that it should remain an eReader and not spend too much development effort trying to become an iPad-wannabe. Here is my wish list for future enhancements:

1. Bring back the option to Go to furthest page read. This was a great feature. I don't understand why they removed it.

2. Enhanced LendMe features to be comparable and compatible with NookColor.

3. Enhanced Shelving options such as sub-folders, collapsible shelves, different options to sort/arrange books on a shelf, etc. Most importantly, provide this capability on bn.com which would flow to you nook.

4. Option to use book cover as screen saver.

5. Capability to name bookmarks.

6. Capability to add a book to eWishlist directly from the Sample book.

7. Would love a Crossword puzzle. I'm a word person, not a number person. Hate Sudoku. Crossword makes more sense for avid readers.

New User
Courtnae
0 Kudos

IM STARTING TO HATE NOOK!!! you cant download music without converting it,you have to download adobe flash just to go on youtube and its super slow! yes it is a cool device when you only want to read on it! Im going to B&N and talking to them!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Courtnae wrote:

IM STARTING TO HATE NOOK!!! you cant download music without converting it,you have to download adobe flash just to go on youtube and its super slow! yes it is a cool device when you only want to read on it! Im going to B&N and talking to them!

Want some cheese with that whine?

Let's see - ereader, reading - how cool is that?

Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It looks like the Nook is smarter then some users! Why is it always the "new users " that are always bit#@ing. Does thier mother now they are using her computer?

Frequent Contributor
KeithK
0 Kudos

What I would lie to see in the next upgrade ( if there is one):

1. Replace the shelves with folders that can be opened and closed.

2. Get rid of the browser. It is so slow and cumbersome to use.

3. Get rid of the games.

Basically what I would like to see is the Nook returned to what it was first envisioned as, an ereader.

Frequent Contributor
Tropicseed
0 Kudos

Courtnae wrote:

Which part of "it's an ereader" do you not understand?!  Sounds like you'd be happier with an ipad.

My top requests for the next firmware rev:

- support more formats, specifically plain text and html. MS Word & Open Office would be nice too.

- ability to reprogram the paging buttons, they're the wrong way around now

- improve the feel of the touchscreen, it's too slow

- I also really liked someone's suggestion to remember preference settings for each open book, it's a pain to have to change the font size each time I switch between book.

- the user interface needs work, e.g. it's too many clicks/touches to change the font size

Basically, forget the bells & whistles, make it a better ereader!

patrick

New User
BronxNook
0 Kudos

1.  Get rid of the "page __ of ___" under the book title in the library when you are done reading. 

2.  List more than one book in the "reading now" folder.  Some people read more than one book at a time.

3.  When you look up a word like "insidiousness", and the dictionary uses the word insidious to define insidiousness, there should be an option that allows you to look up the word insidious!

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Courtnae wrote:

You have a problem with the fact that your eReader functions as... an eReader?

LisaB

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Courtnae wrote:

... you have to download adobe flash just to go on youtube ...

Ummm ... we are talking about the nook ereaders ... right? Adobe Flash? I mean ... nook not iPad ... right? I'm confused.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
fireboy92k
0 Kudos

My list is small, but would like:

1. Support for AAC.  (I'm even willing to foot the bill for the encoder if need be). 

2. Better Dictionary

3. Ability to support more than one book for 'now reading'

4. Better support of endnotes as previously noted (jump to and jump back from)

I'd also like to see more newspapers available for Nook Classic.  Don't care so much about mags (they are better suited to Color).  However, Amazon has like 15x the number of newspapers (including The Orlando Sentinel where I live), that B&N doesn't seem to handle.

Beyond that I'm a happy owner.  Lost my first one on an airplane and bought certified used one to replace it even though the color was out.  Still like the Nook! 

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Well, I've got an idea.  Give us back the feature we had in version 1.4 that let us return to furtherest read point if we went back to look at an earlier page in the book.  I used it a lot and, for some reason I cannot understand, it was removed in version 1.5.  There's a thread here with lots of other people upset by this change as well.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

YES.  Need a better way to navigate between footnotes and text in the books.  I was reading a science fiction book with lots of footnotes - all placed at the end of the chapters - and it was almost impossible to go back and forth.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Yes, documents in My Documents can be deleted directly from the Nook, but if you download a free sampe, in the B&N Library, it is with you forever - or until you come online and delete it through you Nook Library here.  A real pain.  Wish that would be fixed.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

Agree.  I've done it when traveling and had to enter security codes at hotels.  It worked fine.

Reader 2
Andrea0x53
0 Kudos

It's necessary to introduce the capability to view pdf in different way.

I need, and i think we need, the skill of view a pdf like a 1.5 firmware browser show a site with some extra option.

- capability to view a pdf in landscape mode

- capability to zoom a pdf with the possibility to set a specific rate of zoom like 98%

- capability scroll che pdf like in web browser we can scroll a  web page and also better hower i speak about the capability to center somewhere the pdf (with the touch) and scroll it only vertically or orizontally when i want

- capability to use, it's enough writing with keyboard, the dictionary

I think tha the epub format is the best for book but it's also true that newspaper are released in pdf and the nook can't rearrange it well and so on i can't read any newspaper.

It's also necessary to improve the function "go to"  "page" with  little keyboard representing only number cause moving to the x page with the orizontal scroll of the bar is a problem if i want go to a specific page on a big book with more more page.

Frequent Contributor
CMarion
0 Kudos

I agree with all of you who want to keep the eReader and eReader. Expand the reader features as mentioned in many posts above.

!!!And keep the classic. I love the minimal use of power, I love e-ink, it could be a bit lighter (we also have a KOBO and it is so light and comfortable to hold). !!!!