Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
TahoeMom
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

I would like to have something that shows me how many pages in a chapter and how many pages I have read (or that I have left).

Frequent Contributor
KarmaSutra
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

• Enable "swipe" page turning in the B&N Store too (in fact, enable it everywhere pages can be turned, not just within a book).
  • Create Up/Down "swiping" for Nook pages where you can move the "cursor" up/down.
  • Make the "Daily" waaay more interesting to want to check "daily".
  • Create some sort of actual file that contains your shelf layout, so something liek Calibre can also handle/edit it. I also want to be able to back it up so I can restore it when (not if) Nook causes me to start all over again. I'm fighting off the obsessive urge I instinctively have for super-organization right now, because I've already had to reformat and start anew with my Nook more than once.
  • Add a setting in Options to allow us to fine tune how sensitive the touch screen is ourselves, with the default setting as whatever B&N chooses. Since the sensitivity gets changed every update it can get a bit annoying when it worked great on a previous version, and not as great on a newer version (mine is apparently less responsive in 1.5 than i was in 1.4).
  • How about a feature that "pushes" content right to your Nook on a schedule set by me, the user? For example, say I want to subscribe to the Chicago Tribune's daily newspaper (for ereaders) so every morning at 6am, it automatically gets sent to my Nook w/out me having to seek it out and grab it manually?
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

KarmaSutra wrote:

• How about a feature that "pushes" content right to your Nook on a schedule set by me, the user? For example, say I want to subscribe to the Chicago Tribune's daily newspaper (for ereaders) so every morning at 6am, it automatically gets sent to my Nook w/out me having to seek it out and grab it manually?

It's got that. Had it from the beginning. Just subscribe to the Chicago Tribune: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Chicago-Tribune/Tribune-Company/e/2940000228265/

Contributor
vizeroth
0 Kudos

I loved my nook until 1.5 came out. For whatever reason the whole device slowed to a crawl and is now almost unusable. If I try to switch to my library from any other application, it sits at the loading screen until I shut it off. Start it back up and the library loads up, then I can navigate through (slowly) and pick a book to read. Try to go back to the library or do something else, it slows to a crawl or sits at the loading screen.

All I ask is that future updates are tested better and the speed and interaction are improved. Make what's already there work better rather than replacing or removing features.

Contributor
spartanhooah
0 Kudos

@vizeroth, it sounds like something happened to your nook specifically; I've been following this whole thread and don't think anyone else has had that problem. Have you tried calling B&N about it?

New User
srpotato
0 Kudos

Woa, this is my first time here in the B&N Community. These are my suggestions for v1.6:

- Improved pdf reader with zoom, ability rotate pages and better compatibility with pdf files.

- 'Show Covers' view for 'My Documents'

- cbr and cbz compatibility for our personal comic library

- RSS reader built in (I'm tired of using NookFeed)

- Improved 'My Daily' (it could include the RSS reader)

- An English/Spanish-Spanish/English dictionary would be just great!

- More games and capability to play Chess against another person

That's all!

Reader 4
DB-AZ
0 Kudos

Another option is for B & N to offer a large selection of free games on our B & N library pages for us to download whenever the mood takes us.  That way we choose the games we want and when we get bored with them, place them back in the library and choose others to load on our nooks. This would be another way to truly make our nooks personal.  I'm an avid reader but love the games as well.

Contributor
neach
0 Kudos

I only really want two thing.

1. Collapse my shelves.  If stuff is in a shelf, show me only the shelf name and make me click on it to see what's in the shelf.  Shelves should behave like Kindle Collections do.

2. Merge B&N and My Documents.  Stop treating sideloaded books purchased from other stores, borrow from the library or downloaded from Google Books as second class citizens.

Things I'd like to have:

1. Downloads in the browser.  If I go to Google Books in the browser I should be able to download an epub right to the device.

2. Browsing by author, genre, series, etc.  Kind of the way your browse music on an iPod.

Contributor
neach
0 Kudos

treehouse_reader wrote:

Well, I've got an idea.  Give us back the feature we had in version 1.4 that let us return to furtherest read point if we went back to look at an earlier page in the book.  I used it a lot and, for some reason I cannot understand, it was removed in version 1.5.  There's a thread here with lots of other people upset by this change as well.

Why the hell was that taken away.  I updated my wife's nook to 1.5.  She used that feature a LOT.  She's going to be pissed.

Reader 2
SmokeyJoe
0 Kudos

I have to agree with Artenen regarding the ability to switch the forward and back buttons. The corner of the Nook seems to get sharper as the pages go by.

New User
Jaffy890
0 Kudos

Thank you! Someone who finnaly knows my pain. Although, It would be nice to have Pandora and an app store....

Contributor
vizeroth
0 Kudos

@spartanhooah, I considered it, but I've replaced the offending device and am simply hoping the same doesn't happen to the nook color when a real update comes with new features. The library was already slow before the update and attempting to arrange books into shelves once the update was installed seemed to make it worse. I could probably reset the nook and eventually get it to a usable state, but I don't think I'd be comfortable wondering what made it happen in the first place or how long it would be before it happened again, especially since I can't seem to block the update unless I keep the thing offline.

Reader
gramcracker55
0 Kudos

Please Please, bring back FURTHEST PAGE READ. Thanks!

Reader 2
tsuzanne
0 Kudos

I agree with being able to mark a book as read. And the ability to reorder books on my shelves would be nice and the ability to do so on B&N's website would be lovely. I do not play games on my nook so more games feature does not interest me.

I just created a shelf called Currently Reading for books that I am reading.

New User
kurisutofu
0 Kudos

It might have been said already and if so, sorry for repeating ...

1 - I'd really love the ability to turn off the touch screen completely during reading ... to set the device in screensaver mode, we already need to push the power button once to turn on the touch screen anyway ...

I'd to be able to hold the nook and not worry where my fingers touch, specially on a crowded train.

2 - Also, one of the things I was looking forward to was the ability to have a page displayed without using energy, no matter how long I keep it ... but then why is the screensaver running? 

What are we "saving"? I'd like a way to deactivate it.

If it is a matter of avoiding to listen to all buttons input, it's ok, set the screensaver on but don't change what is displayed. I'd like to be able to display a map, or a todo list or anything without thinking I have 20 minutes before the screensaver shows up.

Those are the 2 points I don't like in my Nook. Otherwise, I'm quite happy about it but please, fix those 2 points and it will be perfect for me ;-)

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

I, too, would like to be able to mark a book as read.

New User
w00t
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My list (in no particular order):

• Manage shelves from USB/PC
  • Much better battery management, toggle wake-up on/off, set wake-up interval
  • User-accessible task manager
  • Device reboot from menu
  • Marketplace, to add compatible apps (like games and browsers)
  • Text to speech
  • Web access from USB connection
  • Alarm clock
New User
sodad9123
0 Kudos

1)  Please give us back the feature to go to the furthest read point in a book.

2)  Need to replicate the highlighting process that the Kindle has...  you can actually view ALL highlighted parts of the book on one page.

3)  Would love the ability to purchase more games to download to the Nook.

Correspondent
ladymis
0 Kudos

I have seen a lot of great ideas on this thread.  Some are repeats, but that just means that great minds think alike! :smileywink:

I know I've mentioned that I would like Pandora (because I love in on my iPhone so much).  Another idea that I got from my iPhone was perhaps a setting that can show an approximate percentage of the battery remaining next to the battery icon.  I know I can go into the settings page to see it, but having it right in front of me would be nice.

Reader
SteveOhSC
0 Kudos

The games are nice but what I'd like to see is either a simple notepad text editor that I can store simple notes like postits or maybe a address book.  I carry my nook with me often and there are times where I'd like to jot down notes or save passwords or create a grocery list or just have a address book that I can store my contacts in.