Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
timetravel
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Do we know yet if there will actually be a v1.6?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

timetravel wrote:

I don't think there's been any announcement, although I could be wrong, but we can always live in hope.

:smileywink:

New User
fivepercentyak
0 Kudos

not really a nook suggestion per se, but a linux version of teh b and n reader would be great.  currentl I just use Calibre, but it would be great to have the official app as well.

Also, the ability to install additional apps on the nook, such as alternative pdf readers, games, etc.

Reader
Hildeman

My suggestions for the next update (1.6) are in the area of improving for those of us who like to read larger reference works and the Bible.

It's murder trying to navigate quickly through a Bible.  Without trying to get all the publishers to reformat there TOC, B&N could simply make a couple of improvements on the touchscreen interface that would largely alleviate this.

1. Add a Right and Left scrolling option to the Up and Down.  That would allow us all to move quickly through Chapters of larger books of the Bible like the Psalms.
  2. Someone already mentioned this one I think, but Bookmark Labeling and/or direct access to Highlights and Notes from the main menu.
Maybe I'm oversimplifying something that is actually really complicated from a programmer's POV, but I can't imagine that this would be a super big deal.
Please fix this B&N!
Otherwise, I love my Nook Classic.  It's my favorite way to read.

Reader
Hildeman

One more thing that would be nice would simply being able to jump to the bottom of a list of chapters like you can in the library list by holding down the Down arrow.  Another item for the wishlist of v. 1.6.

New User
kollobudzki
0 Kudos

Support for formulas and schems in scientific books. Reading without zoom is anoying.

Contributor
kd-did47

Better dictionary!

The ability to go to a specific page within your library; or perhaps even better, go to a letter of the alphabet (to find title or author).  Clicking through the screens/pages is tedious; we can do this within a book, why not within the library?

Reader 4
GShelley

No doubt others have said the same or similar, but two features would greatly improve things for me

1) Sync shelves to the PC, so books can be shelved there by drag/drop

2) Ability to create libraries. There are dozens of pdfs I'd like to add, but they just make finding wht I want so much harder. If I could put them all in a "work" library, non ficion in "non fiction" and ficion in "fiction" it would be practical to use them on the Nook

Reader 4
ryojiaiwo

easier sync options... it can be confusing when going from multiple devices

Reader 4
Ryanpl
0 Kudos

I would like the ability to use the dictionary as a stand alone app without having to have a book opened.

New User
FriendofGod
0 Kudos

Contributor
mrsgoodacre
0 Kudos

It's an inadequate dictionary.  B&N cannot change it (according to their reply to me), at least for existing Nooks.  If you want the dictionary to be stand-alone, wait until they incorporate a better dictionary.  Most of the words I needed to look up weren't found in the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary.  What does that tell you?

Frequent Contributor
Tero
0 Kudos

Never used it. I have the book open and may use a dictionary app on my iPhone. If it does not have it I did not learn a new word.

Contributor
gramcher
0 Kudos

I like your idea of having subcategories within a shelf  I like to read series and would like to keep different series by the same author separate.  Other then this, I am completely happy with my NOOK.  I only use my NOOK to read, but found waiting in an Airport for hours after flight delays, the game part came in handy.

Inspired Contributor
skinny12

I would like to see furthest point read to come back. One other thing is to have the current book being read to be the picture that shows while the Nook is asleep.

Frequent Contributor
CMegalodon
0 Kudos

How about correcting the software so it sync's between devices and doesn't take minutes to start?

I hate my Nook and feel totally betrayed by B&N's lack of support and horribly slow software.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

timetravel wrote:

I don't think there's been any announcement, although I could be wrong, but we can always live in hope.

Thank you timetravel,

You have a point! I know until today I haven't heard anything about nook classic v1.6. To be honest it wasn't that long ago they upgraded to v1.5.

Since they came out with Nook Color, does anyone feel that we may just end up a classic, and placed on the bookshelf? Or is it just me? Not that I'm complaining I love mine, but I'm not sure if they'll upgrade. They want people to buy the Nook color. If they keep upgrading they have no leverage to play with. Think about it, haven't you thought, "If only Nook Color came out sooner"? I know I have It looks cool, slimmer, offers more features!

If they do decide to upgrade though let me know! My suggestion would be the reading screen. When reading outside or in area's to brite you really can't see what you're reading.

Happy reading Nook Fans:smileyhappy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Contributor
peacelovemath
0 Kudos

YES this is what I was looking for - I can't believe there aren't more people on here clamoring for the "furthest read point" to come back!  It seems like a HUGE oversight to me - it used to not work reliably, which was a different kind of annoyance, but I can't believe they removed it completely.

Just now for example, I went searching for something a few chapters ago (and was also annoyed to find that, in my current book, the "sections" are available in the go-to menu, but NOT the chapters, and with 4 sections in a 600-page book, that is nowhere near enough built-in bookmarks, but I'll assume that's the publisher's fault, not B&N's fault), and luckily I remembered to make a mental note of the page I was on, since there is no longer a "go to last page read" option.  I tried the option to "go to last page saved on BN.com" and it took me to a spot 29 pages before where I had actually read to, so I am additionally baffled at how that works; perhaps it's that the page only syncs every few minutes, and I had read 29 pages since the last sync, but that is no consolation at all.

On a related note, they really need to let you TYPE the page number you want to go to, because the little slider is nowhere near precise enough for longer books; the longer the book, the worse the slider is!  I have the complete works of Sherlock Holmes, and it's over 3,000 pages, so that slider is seriously worthless.

So that's my two biggest wishes:

1.  Bring back a reliable "go to furthest point" option; and

2.  Make the "go to page number" type-able instead of the stupid slider.

I really love the Nook's capabilities in theory, which is what made me choose it over the Kindle in late 2009, but in practice it seems like the team of people working on improving the software must not be active users of the device themselves, or they wouldn't have made some of these ridiculous "improvements" that make things harder and/or don't work like any reasonable person would expect them to!

Contributor
peacelovemath
0 Kudos

Tess75 wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

timetravel wrote:

Thank you timetravel,

You have a point! I know until today I haven't heard anything about nook classic v1.6. To be honest it wasn't that long ago they upgraded to v1.5.

Since they came out with Nook Color, does anyone feel that we may just end up a classic, and placed on the bookshelf? Or is it just me? Not that I'm complaining I love mine, but I'm not sure if they'll upgrade. They want people to buy the Nook color. If they keep upgrading they have no leverage to play with. Think about it, haven't you thought, "If only Nook Color came out sooner"? I know I have It looks cool, slimmer, offers more features!

If they do decide to upgrade though let me know! My suggestion would be the reading screen. When reading outside or in area's to brite you really can't see what you're reading.

Happy reading Nook Fans:smileyhappy:

I really don't think B&N will stop supporting the original Nook, it's a totally different product with a different focus than the NookColor.  I for one have ZERO interest in the NookColor, and if I was choosing between Nook and NookColor today, I would still buy the Nook, no contest.  I have no intereste in an e-reader with a backlit screen and less than a day's battery life; if I wanted to read books like that, I'll read them on my smartphone, or buy an iPad.  And B&N is marketing them side-by-side, not at all shifting all the focus to the Color, because a lot of people feel the same as me.  They wouldn't still be marketing the original Nook if they weren't going to keep supporting it, and furthermore they'd be losing even more ground to Kindle if they stopped supporting it.

We got software version 1.5 shortly after the NookColor was released, which I took to be a kind of fig leaf, sending the message that they don't plan to lessen support of the original Nook.  Hopefully they will solidify that message by releasing update 1.6 either before or concurrently with the next software update for the NookColor.

Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

Someone may have suggested this already, but I would like shelves in my shelves. I would like to have a Science fiction shelve and  be able to have shelves for say fantasy,Magic, my favorites.....on the Science fiction shelve.

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin