Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Presle
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Slavic languages would be nice too. And I keep having problem with ' symbol :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
0 Kudos

-------------------------------

2.  Please do away with the separation between My Documents and My B&N library this is a completly unecessary abstraction that just makes the device harder and less convenient to use.

----------------------------

Please do NOT do this:smileyhappy:  I have 80 BN books and 100 side-loaded books.  I love keeping them separated.  I have an E-book publisher program and write or re-enter a lot of material that I can share freeley with others.  Make it an option, maybe, but the separate sections are nice for many people.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!
New User
puffytat
0 Kudos

I really wish there was a way to highlight and make notes on PDF files.  Many of my text books for school come in PDF and it is limiting to not be able to make notes on those just like the books I purchase from barnes and noble. 

A pie in the sky wish would be some type of word processor - even if only txt formatted - but I know this would convert the eReader into closer to a tablet than what it was originally designed for; however, you can't blame a girl for hoping.

Frequent Contributor
KarmaSutra

CMarion wrote:

I don't know how magical you think the development team is, but it takes time to come out with revisions. It's only been a few months since 1.5 was released and I personally would like the team to take all our suggestions, take the time to research, think, and develop. No quick fixes.

Just keep in mind, this is not a laptop, not an i-pad, not a smart phone, not an x-box. This is a book reader...a very good book reader by the way...and yes, I want it perfect...for me!

So B&N team: Keep up the good work. We all look forward to the next version.

It's not about being magical, its about staying on top in a competitive and growing, hot market. It's either keep up or fall to the wayside. It still boils down to the Nook is a product and it's all about making money, so being huggybear to the dev team isn't useful. Trust me, they're not huggybear to us either, we're customers of their product plain and simple. They managed to develop and release multiple updates in a very short time up until last November, at which point all further development appears to have halted.

I also fail to see the comparison between the devices you mentioned being any different than the Nook? All of them are high quality and highly maintained, as should be the Nook. it won't be perfect without updates.

New User
pblossom

I would like to see a better way to navigate music files. My 16GB MicroSD card has lots of music files and it takes forever to find them in the small window. It would be nice to be able to navigate through music like you can books in My Documents using the main screen for display, using the same scrooling and side buttons to navigate through the many music and audio books. Then the music files should be able to be put in shelves and ordered into playlists etc.

nook fan

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

A couple of things:

1. When you search for a book, you really need to be able to open the shelves menu from there. I've just spent the last couple of minutes searching for a book, then going to put it on a shelf, and finding the Nook is somewhere else entirely. This defeats much of the purpose of the search function.
  2. When you're on a page with a bunch of links, and follow one and come back (or go to a link that has a bunch of links on the same page), the Nook should put the highlight on the link you just came from, rather than the first link on the page.
  3. When entering a shelf, highlight, etc., it would help if the Nook capitalized the first letter.
  4. And, of course, in the book list, being able to jump to author or book names beginning with a certain letter would be helpful (and would enable me to get rid of a bunch of my shelves).
Contributor
JessieMariem
0 Kudos

I don't know if someone said it already...because this thread is VERY long lol 

Being able to have our shelves listed and hide the books that are in them. 

Contributor
SkullCrossBones

Two additions: I will often read two or three book or magazines at the same time. On the "Reading Now" button, can you add a choice of the last three items read? Also, can you allow more RSS feeds to be read (it's a lot easier than using the browser). Thanks!
Frequent Contributor
SamanthaEdmunde
0 Kudos

Oh I would love this also. I don't know how many times I keep wondering or wanting to skip forward only to lose my page to find out how many pages there are.

And I would love a couple more games. Ones that I could understand.

New User
NotNalb
0 Kudos

1.  In-line foreign language dictionaries.  Many people read foreign language books as a part of language study, and use the dictionary quite a lot, naturally.  It would be nice to be able to switch on a Spanish-English or Russian-English dictionary for word look-up.

2.  I also would like to be able to turn off the distinction between "my" books and "my B&N" books.  Very annoying that you have to remember where you got the book in order to search for it.

3.  Add my name to the now shrill cry for word-related games on the Nook classic, such as crossword puzzles or Scrabble.

Reader
Swederosa
0 Kudos

I think Nook should have a text to speech, or Read to Me, option like the Kindle.  Its one of the main reasons I am leaning toward a Kindle now.  The convenience of getting in the car to run errands and still be able to listen to the book you're in the middle of would be fabulous!

Contributor
Presle
0 Kudos

I'd also like to be able to turn off touchscreen manually. 10s is too much. especially when i only wish to continue reading. I also noticed that my shelves dissapear when I turn the Nook off

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Presle wrote:

I also noticed that my shelves dissapear when I turn the Nook off

The shelves shouldn't disappear unless you haven't registered your NOOK. If you haven't registered, register and your shelves will stay.

Reader 4
BrendaJ10
0 Kudos

How about adding buttons for .com, .net, .org to make it easier for us to add emails to our contacts?  It's a real chore for my fingers to type on this small keyboard, so any shortcuts would be greatly appreciated!

Distinguished Correspondent
GordonF
0 Kudos

It doesn't bother me much, but others have noted it, and this idea struck me:

When you reach the end of the book and get something like "on page 300 of 300" it could replace that with the Stars you rated the book (or all greyed out if didn't rate it), a reminder that you should leave feedback for other readers and the author, and a way to designate which books you've read.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
New User
jmd48

The ability to get more games... Kindle users can buy and download ALL kinds of games.

Would have preferred some word games (SCRABBLE) then Chess and Sudoko : (

Reader 2
HilBilE
0 Kudos

I would also like to add that even the basic Kindle allows you to upload quotes and books you are reading to social networking sites. I would love to have this feature added to the Nook so I can share books I have read and quotes directly from the book as I go. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this.

Inspired Contributor
Coffeecat
0 Kudos

Games are nice, but B&N needs to focus on what the nook is meant to be: a reading device!

Kindle's highlighting system is miles above what B&N has.  The nook desperately needs a way to access highlights without having to create bookmarks.  Also, we need the ability to sync highlights & annotations across nook, nook for PC, etc.

Contributor
sjscribe

I would really like the BN site to become user friendly on the Nook. I haven't been able to successfully sign in to the BN site from my Nook.

Reader 2
Andrea0x53
0 Kudos

I've just posted about a really necessary improvment on reading PDF like Kindle or better.

I'm an italian student of Information Technology and during my study i use a lot of slides in pdf format.

I've bought Nook for reading Romance a for study and avoid to print too much slide that are only usefull to prepare an exam not to general culture.

I'm frustrated cause after nook and during this months i've printed more and more slides only cause nook don't let me see pdf like nook let view web pages. No zoom, no pan, .

Nook original rearrenge my pdf and when the structure of a pdf is complicate like a magazine or slides is impossible to understand something.

Another suggestion is to improve the clock. Is possible better to let to the user setting manual clock. I've the right timezone and also if connect to internet the time is often wrong.

Please let to the user set  time.

For now is all but there is another things is useful. The possibilty to open online pdf and epub.

Today more user use to store documents online and is possible to be out and don't connect to a pc for sync the library. If i want to read a pdf that i've store on some web pages i can't.

Excuse for my english