Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
ophelia3

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

An easier way to move shelves around or create them on your computer and load them on your pc. The shelves are a nice feature, but if you have a lot it takes forever and a day to create them and move them around. It becomes more aggravating than anything.

Contributor
epobirs
0 Kudos

What I really want isn't so much improvements to the Nook itself but rather improvements to the tools for creating books. It's sort of ridiculous that a growing business is dependent on two OSS projects with no full-time devs. B&N should think seriously about funding Sigil to the level where there at least three people working full-time into making it a complete eBook creation system. It's very useful now but there is so much more it could do to reduce the amount of mucking about with code one must do for so much of the fine tuning.

Funding such a project would probably be equivalent to the payroll for a single brick & mortar store but the payoff would be many times greater.

Alternatively, it would be great if Microsoft gave Word a native EPUB mode that let you do nearly everything without leaving the app.

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for v1.6

Not sure what your problem is. You do know how to fool with epub's opf file or put metadata into pdf's by Ctrl-D? Just change the titles to Millenium 1 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc. This can be done with any series you want to keep in some sort of order. (Fooling with the filenames does no good at all, of course, since they are not used by the Nook.)

Frequent Contributor
KarmaSutra
0 Kudos

There's no reason to create a Nook Classic 2. the current Nook classic's form factor is perfect as it is. If B&N would just take the time to show it a ton of love, and upgrade the Android os behind it, add all of the features it's user's are begging for, and basicall just support it the way it really should have been in the first place, the classic would continue to be an enormous money generator for a long time to come. The Color Nook is a completely different beast being that it isn't eInk, and since eInk is a new (and exciting if you ask me and many thousands of others) technology designed to resemble reading off of REAL paper, there's an even bigger market for it that an color ereader. I'm really not even sure why B&N decided to create the nook color in the first place, and certainly, why they did it so soon after creating the classic.

If I were in charge of development at B&N, with limited resources (funding and programmers), I'd most certainly be putting the nook color on the backburner and focusing on the classic. By the way, I think naming it the "Classic" was a poor decision.... since the term Classic makes people automatically assume whatever it's referencing is old, outdated, and so forth. Of course people will want the "latest greatest sounding thing".

Contributor
stormyone
0 Kudos

I agree!! This would be a great feature across the board. I have "nook color friends" and I am not able to see their "lend me" books. It's really kind of frustrating because you can't even access your friend's library on B&N website unless they are "public" with their library. So yes, I think that nook friends feature for all the nooks would be a wonderful addition.

Wordsmith
Tess75

ophelia3 wrote:

An easier way to move shelves around or create them on your computer and load them on your pc. The shelves are a nice feature, but if you have a lot it takes forever and a day to create them and move them around. It becomes more aggravating than anything.

Yes "Shelving" is one of my biggest pet peeves:smileymad: Not only did it take forever and did not put them in chronological order, but my email changed and I had to unregister my Nook. Now that it's registered again all my shelves are gone and most of my library has to be manually downloaded again which by the way uses up your battery life quick. I've tried just about everything to make my shelves easier and in order but I can't figure it out. Hey maybe theirs a secret code(LOL)! Seriously though if anyone knows an easier way to load my shelves, not only on the Nook itself but even in my B&N Library online please let me know...even if you have to by personal message incase I miss the post.

I also agree about how we go to a page in the book we're reading, or better yet not being able to set up a play list for the music we download. If they're offering the app don't you think it would be more than just allowing us to load the music? At least they did offer the option to shuffle, but you have to scroll through all your music when you're in the mood for certain song's. So yah mine are there, but rarely do I even use it anymore.

Don't forget to let me know if anyone's found a better way to "Shelving"!!!

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Contributor
JulieG8r
0 Kudos

KarmaSutra wrote:

There's no reason to create a Nook Classic 2. the current Nook classic's form factor is perfect as it is. If B&N would just take the time to show it a ton of love, and upgrade the Android os behind it, add all of the features it's user's are begging for, and basicall just support it the way it really should have been in the first place, the classic would continue to be an enormous money generator for a long time to come. The Color Nook is a completely different beast being that it isn't eInk, and since eInk is a new (and exciting if you ask me and many thousands of others) technology designed to resemble reading off of REAL paper, there's an even bigger market for it that an color ereader. I'm really not even sure why B&N decided to create the nook color in the first place, and certainly, why they did it so soon after creating the classic.

If I were in charge of development at B&N, with limited resources (funding and programmers), I'd most certainly be putting the nook color on the backburner and focusing on the classic. By the way, I think naming it the "Classic" was a poor decision.... since the term Classic makes people automatically assume whatever it's referencing is old, outdated, and so forth. Of course people will want the "latest greatest sounding thing".

It's great that you love your original nook. I have had the original 3G version for over a year now and (knock wood), have had 0 problems with it. However, that doesn't mean there isn't room in the nook family for a lower end nook 2. Many speculate that it will be fully touch screen, e-ink, Wifi only version, which would make the existing browser a little more useful IMHO. At this point, I never use the browser at all, and that's OK, because I got the nook for reading and it works great for that. But for those who maybe don't have a smartphone or laptop and would like a few tablet-like features, while not compromising the e-ink screen for the primary use of reading, there is room for a new device.

Although I love my original nook 3G, I can totally understand why B&N launched the nook Color. It is a pretty slick "tablet reader" as B&N has marketed it, for half the price of the iPad. My husband is a "techie" and has been enjoying his iPad, but was impressed with the nook Color's capabilities, especially for the price. I hope to own one soon, but plan to keep my 3G as well.

Just for clarification, B&N has never called the original nook "nook Classic." That is a name that many on these boards have adopted simply to differentiate it from the nook Color since its launch. No one knows whether B&N will continue the original nook after the new device is launched, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the original nook is on its way out. Many companies offer and support several varieties of the same product at once. It would be nice for those of us who own the original nook if they would continue to update it with some of the reading-friendly features that many have suggested, but I'll continue to enjoy mine until it dies regardless.

Happy Reading!

Frequent Contributor
karlpov
0 Kudos

1) I agree with the "collapsed shelves" idea -- essentially the ability to create a table of contents with a subdirectory structure. Multiple levels might be desirable for some. Just getting all the titles by one author under the author's name would be a vast improvement, though, making browsing much more practical.

2) Rather than the cumbersome up-and-down game of putting the shelves into order, there should be at least a one-button option to put them into alphabetical order.

3) Make it possible to create a Table of Contents file which could be copied to another drive or printed to PDF or simply printed out via a PC.

4) Make it possible somehow (easily) to associate a Nook item with its filename.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Hi Suziebea

I read on May 5 that a new version of the Nook is going to be announced next Tuesday.  I bought my Nook on 12/23/2010.  I certainly hope they keep servicing the Nook "Classic."  However, I would be very satisfied if they added some of the featrures others readers have, like page orientation, line spacing, etc.  I am looking forward to seeing the new version.  I hope it's an ereader.

Lector GS
Contributor
Presle
0 Kudos

I really have problems with pdf that contains math. Having sum of something divided by something all over 2 pages 1 letter at each line is annoying (and unreadable). I'd like full pdf reader that can read that normally. I don't have any problem with those files in pc.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

New User
Juyvmomi
0 Kudos

When I was trying to decide which way to go (Nook vs Kindle - I had a friend who had a Kindle and I loved it) what finally sold me on the Nook was the Android operating system.  I like the concept of adding features by upgrading the operating system. 

Now having said that, I agree with many of the suggestions made - great ideas - and my personal favorites are:

1. The ability to add games would be great, I would love a crossword puzzle, Hangman, Scrabble, and any other word game available.

2. Additional shelving capability would be awesome!  Especially an auto-shelve by author or series option...

3. The ability to create and use playlists in the audio player also gets my vote...

New User
mzcatok
0 Kudos

i want what you want... i love games solatire,hidden objects,ect.

kathy
New User
surveyor_72
0 Kudos

can you read without a light? my other reader had a backlight so you could. if it doesnt they should add it

New User
PKSalerno

Re: Ideas for v1.6

I think they should add a text to talk button like the kindle

it would be very handy because sometimes I get tired of reading or want to watch something and am interested in a book

Reader 2
hoobear
0 Kudos

I would love to see crosswords added to the game section of the nook. 

New User
thoughtlover

The ability to read PDFs sideways is all I ask. I sometimes put some public domain pdf textbooks on the nook, but cannot read them because the page is too small. If I zoom in, the formatting of equations and tables get screwed up. Allowing pdfs to be read sideways with the ability to scroll would solve this problem for the most part. This is the only reason I'd consider going over to the competition at the moment.

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Looks like the announcement of the new e-ink Nook kills and fixes/enhancements to the Classic Nook. Too bad.....I was hoping for a few more tweaks.

Frequent Contributor
buckysrevenge
0 Kudos

Looks like quite a few people must have abandoned hope of updates for the Nook "1st Edition" - the nookdevs.com is overloaded with connections. If there aren't any more updates from B&N, I'll probably be looking to nookdevs for updates once my warranty runs out. *sigh*

Contributor
spartanhooah
0 Kudos

New announcement

Depending on how the new Nook handles pdfs, I'll likely try to pawn off my old one for that sexiness. The new way to look up words alone is such an improvement.