Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Gus97
0 Kudos

N1E: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

[ Edited ]

I actually don't have any ideas. Just wanted to be the one to start this thread. :smileywink:

"If inspiration doesn't knock, build a door." -Milton Berle
Frequent Contributor
Travst

Re: Ideas for v1.6

Flash support!

Take my advice... don't take my advice.
Frequent Contributor
KeithK

I think 1.5 will be the nook. My feeling is they wll will fully support the cnook and leave the original in the dust.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow

Ability to move books around within Shelves. I've got two Shelves put in for "Hunger Games Trilogy" and "Millenium Trilogy". Now the only problem is that there still seems to be no way to put them in their proper order within the Shelf.

For instance, "Hunger Games Trilogy" is ordered as such...

Catching Fire (Book 2)

Mockingjay (Book 3)

The Hunger Games (Book 1)

... while "Millenium Trilogy" is ordered as follows...

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Book 3)

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Book 2)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Book 1)

... other than that, I'm good.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Gus97 wrote:

I actually don't have any ideas. Just wanted to be the one to start this thread. :smileywink:

You beat me to it. lol

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

MrBanballow wrote:

Ability to move books around within Shelves. I've got two Shelves put in for "Hunger Games Trilogy" and "Millenium Trilogy". Now the only problem is that there still seems to be no way to put them in their proper order within the Shelf.

Catching Fire (Book 2)

Mockingjay (Book 3)

Good suggestion!! Especially for those that has a LONG series - such as WoT books, Star Wars series (not that I read them, but just something on top of my head).  Etc. 

B&N Bookseller
Abbi_S

Organizing whithin shelves would be nice.  I can't seem to get the Reading Now button to work with sideloaded documents so if this is intended I would like that changed.

I would like a crossword like the NOOKcolor has as well.

But, 1.5 is a great update!  I'm happy!

Frequent Contributor
parKb5
0 Kudos

All of my books are in the correct order in the Millennium Series. I think you may have your library organized by title, which puts the books in alphabetical order. My library is organized by author and it lists the books in chronological order under the authors name (or maybe because I bought them in chronological order.)

Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
Frequent Contributor
parKb5
0 Kudos

P.S. How are the other Hunger Games books? I picked up the first one, but it read like a watered down version of the popular Japanese book "Battle Royale" that came out a decade ago. (See the movie if you get a chance, it is awesome!)

Anyway, I was wondering how the story was after the first book.

Eden
My first ebook is up for sale for only $0.99!
Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

Someone else mentioned this on another post, but being able to shelve a book after you have opened it.  Maybe this isn't necessary, I don't know...just read it on another post and thought it was a good idea

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Contributor
EricTeall

1) Ability to "nickname" books and then organize by nickname, so that my Star Wars books could all become something like SWFOTJ5 - Allies instead of just "Star Wars," which is INCREDIBLY unhelpful.

2) User toggle:  Justification On/Off.  PLEASE!

3) Ability to play music based on folder and/or playlist.  I'd like to have some Vivaldi and some Mozart both on my Nook without them stepping on each other's toes.

4) Free ebook of reader's choice with every post on the board.  ;-)

Three out of four wouldn't be bad...

Contributor
magadizer

Re: Ideas for nook classic v1.6

Don't know if I can properly describe this one but I'll try.

I want them to fix the endnotes links. If, for example on the B&N Classics edition of Sherlock holmes, you select an endnote, you link to the page which the endnote is on, but not the endnote itself. Then you have to scroll down the page by hitting the unresponsive down arrow multiple times to get to the note you were selecting. Then you push the circle button to return to the page of regular text where you were reading. This process is cumbersome enough, but manageable (if annoying).

The real problem comes when you (even if several pages further in the text) press the Left Arrow button on the touchscreen. Om almost every menu of the nook (for example, the web browser) this will return you to the next higher level of the menu, or to the top menu of the nook. But if you have been using the notes, it inexplicably sends you to the endnote page at the "back" of the book, where last you viewed a note.

This is very annoying, especially when you don't remember what page of the main book you were on. I have to remember to tell myself to ONLY use the little n button at the top of the touchscreen to return to the main menu.

Also, the new update seems to have removed the ability to go right to a specific short story within the Sherlock Holmes book (for example, haven't tried others yet) by "Go to Chapter" button. I don't like that either.

Contributor
Halifirien

Nicknaming books... Yes! Yes! A thousand times, YES! Trying to find the proper "Star Wars" book is a nightmare.

I'd like to see independent settings for font size. Some titles are tiny -- I'm looking at you, "World War Z" -- and need to be bumped up to Large before I can read them, but I don't need that for every book.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

When I choose to hide my folders on the main library screen I would like them to stay hidden if I view a selected folder and then return to the main library screen.  I shouldn't have to go back in and re-hide my folders every time.

I would like the sort by author within folders to look the way the sort by author without folders looks in the B&N Library: author listed first in larger letters and then the titles of all of the author's books in smaller print underneath.

I would still like efficient highlight and notes functions.  I would like my notes to be collected in one place, like a text file, and would like the ability to copy them to my computer for printing.

Reader 2
atarikid
0 Kudos

So the wifi is great.  But at my school we have to enter username and password for wifi (I believe it is WEAP)  It would be nice if the firmware of the wireless driver could be updated to handle this.  I would like to be able to use some of the wireless features.

So Suggestions

1.  WEAP support on wifi

2.  Like button for Facebook (i think the Ncolor has this) So share books i'm reading.

3.  3G internet.... just saying guys... kindles got it...  Why can't you

Contributor
Caithleen

When I first heard about Shelves, I thought they would be actual (virtual) shelves, like the ones on Shelfari or on Borders' site. I'd like to have that, with drag and drop to arrange. No idea how that would work--maybe you'd move stuff around on the touch screen and it would display on the e-ink screen? But I like the idea anyway.

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

MrBanballow wrote:

Catching Fire (Book 2)

Mockingjay (Book 3)

I know it's time consuming, but if you edit the metadata to change the title to 01-Title, it'll organize it perfectly.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Halifirien wrote:

Nicknaming books... Yes! Yes! A thousand times, YES! Trying to find the proper "Star Wars" book is a nightmare.

I'd like to see independent settings for font size. Some titles are tiny -- I'm looking at you, "World War Z" -- and need to be bumped up to Large before I can read them, but I don't need that for every book.

I would suggest you let the publisher know about this.  I looked over at Amazon and Kobo, and it appears they are all named the same way, at least on the website, so perhaps that his how they retailer gets the books from the publisher?  I have no idea what the retailer can change regarding this information on an eBook, but it would seem that the publisher would be a good place to start.

Another thought on the idea that they are provided this way by the publisher.  There is a book I want to buy, it has the wrong cover associated with it and it has the same wrong cover on B&N an Sony.  The only way I can see that happening is if the cover comes with the eBook from the publisher.

Just a thought.

Frequent Contributor
Johnny_Nonsense
0 Kudos

1) Ability to force justification to either left or full.  Often full justification looks just horrible, especially on titles and because I use a larger font.

2) Ability to force margins to be removed.  I don't see why an eReader would need margins.  The available space is limited enough without giving up space to margins.

3) Try to reduce the number of display states when turning pages.  I understand the limitations of eInk, but please investigate whether it has been reduced to the absolute theoretical minimum.  Right now, when turning pages, the display states appear to go something like this:  Current Page Positive -> Current Page Negative -> Blank Page Negative (not sure about this one) -> Next Page Negative -> Next Page Postive.  Here, "Negative" means white text on black, and "Positive" means black text on white.  Each of these transitions from one state to another introduces a distraction.  If any of these states can be eliminated, it will improve the appearance of page turns.

Thanks

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow

[ Edited ]

parKb5 wrote:

All of my books are in the correct order in the Millennium Series. I think you may have your library organized by title, which puts the books in alphabetical order. My library is organized by author and it lists the books in chronological order under the authors name (or maybe because I bought them in chronological order.)

First off, thanks for the advice, though in my case it didn't seems to work. I tried switching to Sort by Author just now, and the only thing it succeeded in doing was jumbling up my B&N Classics Shelf (I'll be switching back now). I also bought both series in order of release. So my suggestion stands.

Other than this one minor gripe, this update's quite nice. I'm particularly happy with the increase in the speed of page turning. Occasionally before work, I'll try to find out how long a particular section of the book I'm reading is, to see if I have time to finish it. So there I am, mashing (not really) the page forward button, and it starts off slow, and then it'll speed up, like...

REFRESH... REFRESH... REFRESH- REFRESH- REFRESH

... but it would take a few pages to warm up. I was hoping they could just get it up to that speed. Now it's like...

REFRESHREFRESHREFRESREFREREFRESH

... very nice. Beyond my expectations.

Edit: As for The Hunger Games, I was quite happy with the whole series. I'm not all that picky though.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales