Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
Posts: 524
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

[N1E] Update?

Sam... Downloaded update, device rebooted itself, waiting for it to come back on now... It seems to be taking a LONG time. Still on my "Your NOOK is starting up." screen. 

What sort of things do we have to look forward to?

 

LisaB

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
Posts: 524
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


Haleakala_LKB wrote:

Sam... Downloaded update, device rebooted itself, waiting for it to come back on now... It seems to be taking a LONG time. Still on my "Your NOOK is starting up." screen. 

What sort of things do we have to look forward to?

 

LisaB



Uhm... besides my ENTIRE BN library (overf 250 items) and all but about 20 (out of over 150) sideloaded items being gone??

 

Check for new BN content did not retreive ANY of my BN books. 

 

LisaB

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


Haleakala_LKB wrote:


Uhm... besides my ENTIRE BN library (overf 250 items) and all but about 20 (out of over 150) sideloaded items being gone??

 

Check for new BN content did not retreive ANY of my BN books. 

 

LisaB


I never lost my B&N content.  I did seem to lose the ability to recognize my SD Card where all of my sideloaded books are, though.  

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
Posts: 524
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


Haleakala_LKB wrote:


Uhm... besides my ENTIRE BN library (over 250 items) and all but about 20 (out of over 150) sideloaded items being gone??

 

Check for new BN content did not retrieve ANY of my BN books. 

 

LisaB


Okay.... BN library back now. It just showed up. Apparently needed time to populate itself. But my card shows only 37% of he space as available, and only 27 books in My Documents show up. (and one of them is NOT the one I am currently reading(

 

LisaB

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
Posts: 345
Registered: ‎03-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

LisaB,

NOOK 1st Edition v1.6 includes minor system updates. The minor system updates are internal only.  The device will continue to function as it has before with no visible change.

 

Keep me posted if you continue to have issues with the content on your device, please.

-Sam 

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
Posts: 524
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


SLevine wrote:

LisaB,

NOOK 1st Edition v1.6 includes minor system updates. The minor system updates are internal only.  The device will continue to function as it has before with no visible change.

 

Keep me posted if you continue to have issues with the content on your device, please.

-Sam 



It is apparently not reading the SD card content for many of us. 

 

LisaB

Contributor
edmonddantes74
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎12-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

Does turning off the device and then turning it back on fix it?  I've got the 1.6 update on my device and everything seems fine...

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


edmonddantes74 wrote:

Does turning off the device and then turning it back on fix it?  I've got the 1.6 update on my device and everything seems fine...


Not for me, but here's to hoping.

 

I've also removed and replaced the SD card.  I even tested to see if it was because my sideloads had been loaded through Calibre and were therefore not in the main memory of the SD card but categorized into folders by dropping a non-DRM document directly onto the SD card.  That wan't visible, either.

 

Same document and several on the SD card work when sent to Main memory of device via Calibre - so in folders, etc...

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
Posts: 345
Registered: ‎03-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

Like edmonddantes74 just said, our tech team is trying to replicate this problem using various cards and it seems as though a full powerdown should fix this.

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
Posts: 345
Registered: ‎03-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

Ya_Ya, can you PM me with more details about your SD card and what you're experiencing? I'll continue to look into this...

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
Posts: 524
Registered: ‎10-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


SLevine wrote:

Like edmonddantes74 just said, our tech team is trying to replicate this problem using various cards and it seems as though a full powerdown should fix this.


I have turned the NOOK completely off and back on several times and also taken the card out and put it back in. The content is ON the card, I see it on my PC. The NOOK settings shows what % of the card is being used/available, it just doesn't show the books on it. 

 

LisaB

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
Posts: 345
Registered: ‎03-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

LisaB, can you also PM me with more details so that I can forward along to tech teams? Thanks.

Contributor
Ridiculosity
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

mine went fine...though I suspect we'll be seeing a 1.7 (or a 1.6.1) because of the SD card issues.  Maybe not.

 

BTW...am I the only one who thinks the version numbers are a little off?  If anything a revision like this should be a 1.5.1...and 1.5 probably should have been a 2.0.  If anything 1.6 should have been called 2.0.1.

 

but I'm just being difficult :smileyhappy:

 

 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


Ridiculosity wrote:

 

BTW...am I the only one who thinks the version numbers are a little off?  If anything a revision like this should be a 1.5.1...and 1.5 probably should have been a 2.0.  If anything 1.6 should have been called 2.0.1.

 


There alreayd was a 1.5.0, 1.5.1, 1.5.2 and 1.5.3, reportedly.


They were specific to different batches of hardware.  I don't remember the significance, but I'm pretty sure I read it at XDA.

Contributor
Ridiculosity
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎06-01-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

I don't think so.  My Nook is still pretty new and the software was 1.5.0.  I'm just saying that usually when you introduce the kind of fundamental changes that 1.5 has/had, you bump it up to 2.0.  maybe I'm wrong. 

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


Ya_Ya wrote:

Ridiculosity wrote:

 

BTW...am I the only one who thinks the version numbers are a little off?  If anything a revision like this should be a 1.5.1...and 1.5 probably should have been a 2.0.  If anything 1.6 should have been called 2.0.1.

 


There alreayd was a 1.5.0, 1.5.1, 1.5.2 and 1.5.3, reportedly.


They were specific to different batches of hardware.  I don't remember the significance, but I'm pretty sure I read it at XDA.


I think that was before 1.5. I know there was a 1.4.0, 1.4.1, and 1.4.2, depending on which version of the hardware you had. Mine was 1.4.1 when I bought it. I think everyone got upgraded to 1.5.0.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?


Ridiculosity wrote:

I don't think so.  My Nook is still pretty new and the software was 1.5.0.  I'm just saying that usually when you introduce the kind of fundamental changes that 1.5 has/had, you bump it up to 2.0.  maybe I'm wrong. 


I agree that the differences between v1.4 and v1.5 should have made v1.5 a v2.0.

 

The features of v1.5.0, v1.5.1, v1.5.2 and v1.5.3 are supposedly exactly the same.  It's just where(?) and/or when(?) the device was manufactured that determined what got pushed out to it.

 

It was v1.4 that had multiple iterations of the very same software based on the hardware it was being pushed to.  It appears that all NOOKs got the same 1.5.0.  I was wrong.

 

There's definitely no reason for this being v1.6 then.  :smileyvery-happy: 

 

Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

Fortunately, I have NOT been "SideGraded" to 1.6, still safely at 1.5.0, so my 3 Gig of Music files and gig of sideloaded books are safe for the moment on my 8 Gig SD card.  Since this stuff started happening a week ago, was 1.6 pulled?  of can I back out of Airplane mode safely now?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
Posts: 956
Registered: ‎08-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N1E] Update?

BN won't say.  It has been reported that folks have their wifi on with no "upgrade".  Also, as a way to get rid of 1.6, someone "rolled back" their machine to factory settings which was 1.4.  The nook then said it needed to do an upgrade and it downloaded and installed 1.5 NOT 1.6.

 

However, YMMV