Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent
0 Kudos

N1E - What is the future of e-Ink?

I'm deployed to Afghanistan and successfully purchasing and reading books without issue. I see so many new products for nook and Kindle, but they're just about all the same (except Glow--that piques my interest), they're LCD with LED backlit.  If I wanted that, I'd just read it off my laptop or buy a tablet.  I LOVE e-ink. I don't want a tablet or use my laptop or anything related. I want exactly what N1E is, an e-ink dedicated reader.

Does anyone know if there have been discussions of expanding e-ink? I don't believe my N1E will last forever. It will die eventually (it's fighting for battery breath now). I'm pretty sure the Glow will replace the much over-used N1E, but what about any other updates to e-ink?

Thx y'all.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: N1E - What is the future of e-Ink?

E-ink (the company) is currently pushing their color screens, which are as slow to update as the B&W screens, and the color is muted at best.  I'm not sure if they're doing further development in B&W, but I expect they're still working hard to make the best non-backlit screens out there, and they've got a bit of competition.

Mirasol and Liquivista are each making proprietary reflective color screens which are much faster to update, and like e-ink they have more of the "paper" look to them than LCD/LED screens.  These are expensive and will probably not end up in an affordable reader just yet, but this is likely the direction the industry will head.

I personally cannot see e-ink going away until there is something that is affordable and is truly better for long-term reading, and right now nothing is.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Mirasol and Liquivista are each making proprietary reflective color screens which are much faster to update, and like e-ink they have more of the "paper" look to them than LCD/LED screens.  These are expensive and will probably not end up in an affordable reader just yet, but this is likely the direction the industry will head.

I'm hoping for Liquavista.  That will be the thing that makes me "upgrade" my N2E.

I keep looking at the glowworm, but the rare occasion that I read in a situation that I can't just turn on the light (ie: in bad after Mr Ya_Ya has also come to bed), I've been surprisingly okay with using my Galaxy Tab.  It's not comfortable for long-term reading, to me, but it works just fine for that "I need to finish this chapter" ten minute stretch.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

ImpliedConsent wrote:

I'm deployed to Afghanistan and successfully purchasing and reading books without issue. I see so many new products for nook and Kindle, but they're just about all the same (except Glow--that piques my interest), they're LCD with LED backlit.  If I wanted that, I'd just read it off my laptop or buy a tablet.  I LOVE e-ink. I don't want a tablet or use my laptop or anything related. I want exactly what N1E is, an e-ink dedicated reader.

<snip>

First, thank you for your service to our country. Second, I agree with you completely. I have my phone to check email and FB on if I want to while out and about. I seriously AM considering a 7" tab sometime in the near future, now that the prices are coming down. AMong other things, I wouldn't mind having a tablet for magazine reading. But for day to day book reading, It's my NOOK WiFI all the way!

Frequent Contributor
ImpliedConsent
0 Kudos

Thanks y'all.  I was extremely intrigued when I saw my first e-Ink reader. The way it looked so much like easy-on-eyes paper. I was hoping that they (xxx or yyy company) would expand the technology without the crazy LCD/LED combinations. Maybe Apples "retina display", but I've never seen it in person (not likely to anytime soon either).

Regardless, unless my N1E physically breaks, it's still my library I can carry in my cargo pocket and I still love it!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Mirasol and Liquivista are each making proprietary reflective color screens which are much faster to update, and like e-ink they have more of the "paper" look to them than LCD/LED screens.

Mirasol is essentially dead. Qualcomm has given up on it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Mirasol and Liquivista are each making proprietary reflective color screens which are much faster to update, and like e-ink they have more of the "paper" look to them than LCD/LED screens.

Mirasol is essentially dead. Qualcomm has given up on it.

*blinks*  noooooooooo! :smileysad:

I guess we can hope for Liquivista then.  I heard Samsung recently purchased them - I may have to lift my personal ban on Samsung devices if they get this right.