Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: N2E: Fingerprint Hazards and Cleaning Techniques?

I use the same cleaning cloth for my glasses on any touch screen device such as my cell phone.  I am sure a lens cleaning cloth can be enough for the N2E perhaps maybe a squirt from lens cleaner as well can help too.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Contributor
JisforJess
0 Kudos

I don't know if screen protectors will work for the new nook, but they are a good way to keep the eink screen clean. If you want to try one without spending too much, Walmart carries some for ereaders that I like to use. I forget what they are called, but they are $8 and come with 3 in a pack. The package is black with a picture of either a kobo or a sony reader, a kindle, and a nook on it. You are supposed to change the protector every 3 months, but mine has been on for 5 and it is fine. I have one on my e-ink screen and cut another to fit on the LCD screen of my nook and it works great. They use static electricity (or something like that) to stick on so they won"t leave a residue on you nook screen. I do think the screen protector interferes a little bit with the LCD screen, but not enough to be a big deal so it might work fine with the nook touch. I use a microfiber cloth to get clean the screen protectors that works perfectly fine.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

I have only ever used a microfiber cloth from 3M. I've never bothered to dampen it. It seems to do fine by iteself on the Nook and this idiot fingerprint magnet of a cell phone I have.

Correspondent
ShazInNV
0 Kudos

Like Shadowcat80 I use the cleaning cloth that came with a pair of glasses.  Works great.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

I've been using my N2E essentially since the day it was released and haven't had to do more than wipe it once or twice with a microfiber lens cloth.  I only had to do that because cat fur floated onto the screen.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Urban_Casey
0 Kudos

I have an iPad2 and I use an eye glass cleaner cloth to keep the surface clean.  A stylus might be a good investment. Since I started using one, I seldom have to clean the iPad's screen since the stylus leaves no marks or scratches.

When you change your focus, you will change your results.

Correspondent
ChipPM

The "fingerprint hazards" part of this title made me curious to see what 'works' on the NE2's touch screen besides a finger.

The capacitive stylus I use on my Nookcolor works fine on the NE2.

The styli(?) from my Sony Clie and Palm Vx do not work.

I got an idea and tried a cotton swab. Success! They work perfectly. The paper shaft didn't last long though--they got 'bendy' pretty fast.

I ordered cotton swabs with wooden shafts for more endurance. I'm going to try the regular short double-ended ones and the longer one-sided ones that doctor's offices have to see which ones are easier to use.

I suspect the longer ones will be better for reaching across the screen to turn back a page. Just got to watch out that I don't accidentally use the non-cotton end!

This might be a solution for the finger print worriers.

Contributor
jridley
0 Kudos

Honestly, I've just used Windex and a paper towel on everything for decades. I've cleaned everything from CRT monitors to LCD monitors with all kinds of touchscreens to scanner glass, and it's never caused any trouble and always does the job.