Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
Posts: 188
Registered: ‎04-23-2011
0 Kudos

[N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

After charging the Nook Touch, I connected it to my computer to sideload some ePub files.

And I noticed that the NOOK drive shows up and, under it, 236 MB free of 236 MB.

 

Is this the limit to which I can "sideload" files to the Nook Touch?

 

Seems too little.

 

I expected a majority of the 2GB (shown in the specs) will be available for me to use.

 

Am I doing something wrong? :smileysad:

 

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

No, you aren't doing anything wrong.  That is all of the space available to you for your sideloaded content.  All other diesloaded content will have to be put on a microSD card.  The rest of the 2GB is in a secure partition that includes the OS, system files, and any content you purchase from B&N.  Your available memory wil not change, no matter how many B&N ebooks you buy and download, unless you sideload something.

 

It's ridiculous and my annoyance with this is part of the review I am currently writing and expect to post tonight.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
Posts: 956
Registered: ‎08-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

Wow, let's hope they don't "update" the N1E to include this ridiculous partition.  (not that SD cards are expensive but still)

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎09-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

No, you aren't doing anything wrong.  That is all of the space available to you for your sideloaded content.  All other diesloaded content will have to be put on a microSD card.  The rest of the 2GB is in a secure partition that includes the OS, system files, and any content you purchase from B&N. 



Are you sure of this? The N1E has 1.3 gb available for usable storage.  I would have expected less but something similar on the N2E. If there is only 236 mb that means the OS install is huge.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

The good news is that from what I understand even if you use an SD card all your books are still grouped together on the device.

Obviously B&N wants you to buy more books from them then other vendors.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎09-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB


AlanNJ wrote:

The good news is that from what I understand even if you use an SD card all your books are still grouped together on the device.

Obviously B&N wants you to buy more books from them then other vendors.



Thats almost enough to get me to buy a N2E but not quite :smileytongue:

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

I've actually been looking online for an SD Micro card.  I'm thinking 4GB should be MORE than enough space and they're less than $10 including shipping.  Not a dealbreaker for me.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎09-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB


AlanNJ wrote:

I've actually been looking online for an SD Micro card.  I'm thinking 4GB should be MORE than enough space and they're less than $10 including shipping.  Not a dealbreaker for me.


I got an 8GB a while back at Amazon. Even 2GB should be enough though unless you are planning on storing the library of congress on there.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

My thoughts exactly.  I only looked at 4GB because they were almost the same price as the 2GB I think...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
Posts: 188
Registered: ‎04-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

Thanks for your replies, everyone~

 

I guess, I just need to purchase another SD card.

 

(But the small part of me still feel....... you know.)

 

:smileyhappy:

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎05-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

 


AlanNJ wrote:

The good news is that from what I understand even if you use an SD card all your books are still grouped together on the device.

Obviously B&N wants you to buy more books from them then other vendors.


I've been seeing contradictory info about this. Specifically, that sideloaded epubs in the main memory show up in "my books" but sideloaded epubs on the SD card show up in "My files". Does anyone know if that means the "My files" files just show up with filenames (rather than title, author, cover)? Is this true or just one of those incorrect rumors floating around? The physical device has been out for a while now so I'm not sure why the rumors :smileytongue:.

The cake is a lie.
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎09-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB


AlanNJ wrote:

My thoughts exactly.  I only looked at 4GB because they were almost the same price as the 2GB I think...


heh.. That's how i wound up with an 8GB card they were actually cheapest at the time. :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
Posts: 188
Registered: ‎04-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

I just took out a micro SD card from my cellphone.

This card, I bought about...... 3.5 yr ago, and I hardly use it.

So, I guess this solves my problem.

 

:smileywink:

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

 


gstone wrote:

Nallia wrote:

No, you aren't doing anything wrong.  That is all of the space available to you for your sideloaded content.  All other diesloaded content will have to be put on a microSD card.  The rest of the 2GB is in a secure partition that includes the OS, system files, and any content you purchase from B&N. 



Are you sure of this? The N1E has 1.3 gb available for usable storage.  I would have expected less but something similar on the N2E. If there is only 236 mb that means the OS install is huge.


No, you misunderstood.  The available 236MB is only for sideloaded content.  ALL B&N content goes in the secure partition and can not be seen when you plug it into your computer.  The OS isn't taking up all that room, it's been set aside for B&N content.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

[ Edited ]

I just ordered a 2GB card for $4.38 on ebay with free expedited shipping.  I'm fine with that.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎09-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB


Nallia wrote:

 


gstone wrote:

Nallia wrote:

No, you aren't doing anything wrong.  That is all of the space available to you for your sideloaded content.  All other diesloaded content will have to be put on a microSD card.  The rest of the 2GB is in a secure partition that includes the OS, system files, and any content you purchase from B&N. 



Are you sure of this? The N1E has 1.3 gb available for usable storage.  I would have expected less but something similar on the N2E. If there is only 236 mb that means the OS install is huge.


No, you misunderstood.  The available 236MB is only for sideloaded content.  ALL B&N content goes in the secure partition and can not be seen when you plug it into your computer.  The OS isn't taking up all that room, it's been set aside for B&N content.


If I understand what you are saying, N2E has approximately 1GB hidden for BN purchases and that is unavailable for any other use. That seems bizzare to me but it's their game and their rules.

 

 

 

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

 


gstone wrote:

Nallia wrote:

 


gstone wrote:

Nallia wrote:

No, you aren't doing anything wrong.  That is all of the space available to you for your sideloaded content.  All other diesloaded content will have to be put on a microSD card.  The rest of the 2GB is in a secure partition that includes the OS, system files, and any content you purchase from B&N. 



Are you sure of this? The N1E has 1.3 gb available for usable storage.  I would have expected less but something similar on the N2E. If there is only 236 mb that means the OS install is huge.


No, you misunderstood.  The available 236MB is only for sideloaded content.  ALL B&N content goes in the secure partition and can not be seen when you plug it into your computer.  The OS isn't taking up all that room, it's been set aside for B&N content.


If I understand what you are saying, N2E has approximately 1GB hidden for BN purchases and that is unavailable for any other use. That seems bizzare to me but it's their game and their rules.

 

 

 


Yes, that is what they have done.  They also started doing this to the new models of the NOOK Color a few weeks ago.  If you're interested, you can read about it here:

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Major-and-potentially-ugly-Chan...

Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎05-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB

Assuming B&N made as typo on their specs page:

 

Internal memory on the N2E is 2GB (up to 1,000 books)... with a footnote:

 

Actual formatted capacity may be less. Approximately 1GB available to store content, of which up to 750MB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store.

 

So, you have at best 1 GB of built-in memory available to you for your own files. Downloads from B&N will be fit into 750 MB, leaving roughly 250 MB untouchable by mortals.

 

Since the software sounds like it integrates sideloaded content with B&N purchased content on shelves, throwing a memory card in the side sounds like a very good idea to me if you plan on holding a lot of content, or large files (like image-packed PDFs.)

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,818
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB


aditya wrote:

 


AlanNJ wrote:

The good news is that from what I understand even if you use an SD card all your books are still grouped together on the device.

Obviously B&N wants you to buy more books from them then other vendors.


I've been seeing contradictory info about this. Specifically, that sideloaded epubs in the main memory show up in "my books" but sideloaded epubs on the SD card show up in "My files". Does anyone know if that means the "My files" files just show up with filenames (rather than title, author, cover)? Is this true or just one of those incorrect rumors floating around? The physical device has been out for a while now so I'm not sure why the rumors :smileytongue:.


I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but here's what I know from moving the SD card from my N1E to my Mom's N2E.  First, I sideloaded a couple of books to her device, everything shows up on the N2E in the library when you have it set to all, books downloaded from B&N and books sideloaded.  

 

Sideloaded books to main memory - No cover art, but they do have the book name and author name in the book icon, where the cover art would normally be, not just the file name.

 

When I added the SD card, all the books on the SD card again showed up with all the other books, when the library is set to display all.  So the sideloaded books on the SD card showed up in the with the books loaded in main memory.  

 

Some of the books on the SD card have the cover art, others don't but they have the name of the book and the author inside the book icon.  If I had to take a guess, I'd say the ones on the SD card that have the cover art are the ones that were loaded with Calibre.  The others were loaded either directly to the card or through ADE.

 

Ok, update on that.  The ones with cover art were loaded through Calibre, but there is one book that was loaded through Calibre that doesn't have the cover art, so I don't see a significant pattern here.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎05-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: [N2E] Memory 236 MB Free of 236MB


bklvr896 wrote:

aditya wrote:

 


AlanNJ wrote:

The good news is that from what I understand even if you use an SD card all your books are still grouped together on the device.

Obviously B&N wants you to buy more books from them then other vendors.


I've been seeing contradictory info about this. Specifically, that sideloaded epubs in the main memory show up in "my books" but sideloaded epubs on the SD card show up in "My files". Does anyone know if that means the "My files" files just show up with filenames (rather than title, author, cover)? Is this true or just one of those incorrect rumors floating around? The physical device has been out for a while now so I'm not sure why the rumors :smileytongue:.


I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but here's what I know from moving the SD card from my N1E to my Mom's N2E.  First, I sideloaded a couple of books to her device, everything shows up on the N2E in the library when you have it set to all, books downloaded from B&N and books sideloaded.  

 

Sideloaded books to main memory - No cover art, but they do have the book name and author name in the book icon, where the cover art would normally be, not just the file name.

 

When I added the SD card, all the books on the SD card again showed up with all the other books, when the library is set to display all.  So the sideloaded books on the SD card showed up in the with the books loaded in main memory.  

 

Some of the books on the SD card have the cover art, others don't but they have the name of the book and the author inside the book icon.  If I had to take a guess, I'd say the ones on the SD card that have the cover art are the ones that were loaded with Calibre.  The others were loaded either directly to the card or through ADE.

 

Ok, update on that.  The ones with cover art were loaded through Calibre, but there is one book that was loaded through Calibre that doesn't have the cover art, so I don't see a significant pattern here.

 


Thank you! That's exactly the information I was looking for and exactly the answer I was hoping for :smileyvery-happy:. The cover art not showing for some books has been seen and resolved by another poster (I forget who). Basically, the N2E can only see cover art if it's embedded in the epub (according to that poster). If I recall correctly, all he did to resolve the issue was convert epub to epub using Calibre and resave all his books to the device.

The cake is a lie.