Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BeckyK44
0 Kudos

N2E: New Nook Name

[ Edited ]

I have seen the new Nook Simple Touch Reader referred to on various sites/forums around the web (like Cnet) as the "Nook Simple" or the "Nook Touch."

What do you guys think is the best nickname for it?  I personally like the "Nook Simple" because saying "Nook Touch" doesn't really distinguish it from the "Nook Color" since that is also touch screen.

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Re: N2E: New Nook Name

@BeckyK44: Hope you don't mind, I updated the title of your message post here with the "N2E:" Headline.  I'm curious to hear what names you guys come up with! 

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

The Simple Touch Reader is a tagline, and not part of the name. The official name is just NOOK (note the all capitals). This can cause confusion between the new NOOK and the two older NOOK models. In the forums it's been suggested by the powers that be that we call them N1E and N2E to distinguish them. If I were talking about the new NOOK, rather than writing about it, I'd probably just call it the NOOK 2. People are used to talking about version numbers in this manner, like with the iPhone 4. NOOK Simple sounds silly to me. NOOK Touch isn't bad, despite the fact that NOOKcolor is touch as well, but what about when the next version comes out?

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

The Nook Color does sort of mess up the idea of Nook1, Nook2, ....  Could be Nook1, Nook Color, NOOK STR (pronounced nookster) - that way, when the NOOK star trek tablet comes out (the tablet that really does do everything and anything and holds every word ever written or uttered by humankind), we could just call it the "Nooktrek"?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I'm fine with the N1E/NC/N2E distinction, for the most part. In common use, I would prefer the nickname NOOK 2.

As @sirwillard pointed out, people are used to version numbers for products. In addition, people are used to numbered sequels: Hangover II, Kung Fu Panda 2, The Godfather Part 2, Hot Shots Part Deux...:smileyvery-happy:

Which makes me even more optimistic about the NOOK 2. Part 2, especially in trilogies, tends to be the best one. See: Empire Strikes Back.

Of course, sequels often have catchy subtitles. So, what should the subtitle for NOOK 2 be?

Contributor
BeckyK44
0 Kudos

@SLevine - No problem.  :smileyhappy:

I like N2E, but it doesn't really roll of the tongue.

How about B&N using letters instead of numbers, since we are talking about ebooks here?

Nook 1st edition = Nook A

Nook Simple Touch = Nook B

etc, etc

deemure
0 Kudos

Mine might get called junior.

I do think numbers tend to be the trend.  And I think people will naturally go there.  I could be wrong though.  People seemed to struggle with what to call the original nook when the NOOKcolor was released, even though they actually have different official names.  So, you get nook classic, but then some abbreviate that as nc, classic nook, nook 3g+wifi, nook wifi, or just nook.  But then some people call the NOOKcolor nook.  n2 might stick. 

Not to speak of a competitor, but people just naturally called the kindle k2, k3 and such.  The kindle dx is just that.  So if one were to copy this trend, there'd be the n1-3g, the n1-wifi or n1, n2, and NC.  If a new NC came out, it would be the NC2.  I do think it just ends up being simpler, but then people will tend to call things what they want, so there could be the NOOKtouch and the NOOKcolor or the Ntouch and Ncolor.  We shall see, most likely.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle
0 Kudos

Heh, Nookster's kind of fun. :smileyhappy:

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

BeckyK44 wrote:

How about B&N using letters instead of numbers, since we are talking about ebooks here?

etc, etc

So, then when NOOK 5th edition comes out, will we call that Nook E? :smileyvery-happy:

I don't really care for the abbreviations that much. N1E and N2E just don't really sound right when speaking aloud. They are fine for message board speak, and I still don't care for them all that much. I may just refer to this one as the Nook Touch. I don't know yet. So far, New Nook has been working for me. Of course, that won't make sense after a while. 

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

BeckyK44 wrote:

etc, etc

That's why I'd say NOOK 2 :smileywink:. First, it's not all that often you'll need to distinguish. So, just like you normally just say "my iPhone" I'll just say "my NOOK". When I'm speaking and have to distinguish, I'll say NOOK 2. If I'm dealing with online correspondence I'll stick with N2E. Shorter is better in online communication, not to mention that's what they want us to use here and it's better to be consistent.

As for there being a "problem" with saying NOOK 2 because of the NOOKcolor, I disagree. These are entirely different products. The NOOKcolor isn't a second generation NOOK, it's a different product.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow

I shall refer to mine as Sir Nook Bookley of Atheneum the 2nd.

... sounds distinguished.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Contributor
BeckyK44
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MrBanballow wins! :smileyvery-happy:

----------------

Another idea:

Nook Classic, Nook Classic 2, Nook Classic 3, etc

Nook Color, Nook Color 2, Nook Color 3, etc

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Another vote for 

Nook 1

Nook 2

NookColor

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

MikeNC wrote:

The Nook Color does sort of mess up the idea of Nook1, Nook2, ....  Could be Nook1, Nook Color, NOOK STR (pronounced nookster) - that way, when the NOOK star trek tablet comes out (the tablet that really does do everything and anything and holds every word ever written or uttered by humankind), we could just call it the "Nooktrek"?

Not to me it doesn't.  The NOOK Color is a completely different device.  The new NOOK is B&N's second generation e-ink NOOK.  So I will call it NOOK 2 or N2E.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I like nookster, JR, or maybe Sir. Nookster the II.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Contributor
BeckyK44
0 Kudos

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

David Pogue in the NY Times seems to think the official name is All New Nook (which is absurd)...

http://tinyurl.com/3cxofzm

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
dave50
0 Kudos

IMHO, "NOOK 2" implies a successor which does more than the original (Hollywood notwithstanding), whereas the Nook Simple Touch Reader offers only a subset of it's predecessor's capabilities (no audio, hidden browser).

I like the "friendliness" of NOOKSTR ("Nookster") - much more conversational than "N2E" (although for search engine purposes I can appreciate the standardization).

So I'd cast my vote for "Nook Classic", "Nookster" and "Nook Color". Or just "Nook Simple" to denote its market positioning.

The next model in the family could be a "Nook Plus" with more tablet-oriented functionality like note taking (even in named bookmarks), calendar / todo list, sketchpad and all the other "1.6 Wishlist" requests...

Frequent Contributor
Blues_Harpist
0 Kudos

I call it Nook Touch, when talking to myself.

[Exit, pursued by a bear]
shadowcat80

It's just Nook.  Amazon doesn't rename the Kindle each generation, Apple doesn't rename the I-Pod when the next generation comes out.  It's just the Nook and so there's no confusion we use the code number N2E and N1E to determine which generation but that will someday end as people move over to N2E and the N1E begin to disappear now it be awhile before that happens but, it will take place, then guess what Nook will have a 3rd generation.  Kindle for example already on the 3rd generation, Apple I-Pod is now on its 6th generation.  N3E will then be the term and N2E will slowly phase out like its parent of 1st, and so forth and so forth.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.