New User
shishir
0 Kudos

N2E - PDF support

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an ebook reader and began researching last week. I'm really interested in the new nook STR ( N2E , Nook 2 ) but am worried about how it handles PDFs. I hear that you can't really change the font sizes too much and that reflow messes up the format completely. Thoughts? 

At the end of the day, I really just want a simple ebook reader. I'm inclining towards the Nook color but I don't know if really want to pay an extra 110$~ for tablet capabilities I don't really need. However, the Nook Color does seem to have excellent PDF support.

Also, how 'different' is the E-ink screen on the N2E from the color screen on the Nook color? I don't see myself reading for more than 3-4 hours at a time (outside), so does this really make a difference?

Thanks!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Re: N2E - PDF support

shishir wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy an ebook reader and began researching last week. I'm really interested in the new nook STR ( N2E , Nook 2 ) but am worried about how it handles PDFs. I hear that you can't really change the font sizes too much and that reflow messes up the format completely. Thoughts? 

At the end of the day, I really just want a simple ebook reader. I'm inclining towards the Nook color but I don't know if really want to pay an extra 110$~ for tablet capabilities I don't really need. However, the Nook Color does seem to have excellent PDF support.

Also, how 'different' is the E-ink screen on the N2E from the color screen on the Nook color? I don't see myself reading for more than 3-4 hours at a time (outside), so does this really make a difference?

Thanks!

May I suggest you go to a B&N and look at the 2 readers?  Color is completely different from e-ink.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

if youa re going to be reading outside at all in any type of brighter light I might suggest the nook color is not your best choice.  e-ink is much better in bright light

unfortuantely I am not very versed at how the .pdf support works.  not to do this on a nook board, but you may also want to see how the kindle handles .pdf too.  I wish I knew more about that part.  but again for outside reading eink is the choice IMO (especially if you dont need the tablet stuff either)

New User
shishir
0 Kudos

I live in Canada lol.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

The N1E and N2E support PDF as a format, but really a bad at making PDFs readable. You have to realize that PDFs are intended for reproducing exact print. They are page based formats. When the PDF is created based on typical page sizes (8 1/2 x 11 or A4, for instance), these sizes generally don't fit on a digital screen, especially the smaller eReader screens. To make them fit you'd have to scale the page down, which results in the text being too small to read. So the only other option is to not display the whole page. There lies the problem for small eInk based screens, though you can do better than the NOOK has done.

Kindle does a better job with PDFs. First, they allow you to view the page in landscape mode, which means there's more width available and this usually means you can see the entire width of a page at a decent scale for reading. This means you only have to scroll vertically to see the rest of the page. The NOOK doesn't support landscape viewing. The Kindle also handles panning/zooming better. This makes it possible to read many PDFs, though it's a bit awkward due to the slow refresh of eInk devices.

LCD based devices like the NOOKcolor and the iPad work out much better for PDFs. Panning (scrolling) and zooming on these type of devices work much better. It's still not ideal, because the small screen means you're not seeing the entire page at once and have to pan and zoom around the document, but it's not that bad. For a portable device for reading PDFs, you can't do much better than the NOOKcolor.

When possible, though, it's better to avoid PDFs, as they aren't intended for reading on a small screens. In some cases you can convert a PDF to another format better suited for this. Many PDFs, though, are full of images and diagrams that make it difficult to do this type of conversion.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

If your PDF has tables or drawings, you must shrink the font size on the new Nook to the second to smallest setting for it to reflow correctly.  This makes some fonts very hard if not impossible to read.  Because the Nook does not have a landscape mode or zoom & pan capability, this severely limits the device for PDF reading. 

If you are looking for a PDF reader, the Kindle graphite WiFi may be a better choice since it has the landscape mode and zoom & pan capability; however, the Kindle will not accept a memory card, so you are stuck with the nominal 4G of memory. 

You might also look at the Kobo and some of the other eReaders out there as many handle PDFs better than the Nook, but anything with a small screen is going to have issues with PDFs.