Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

N2E: Wifi Network Type Survey (and issue)

So I've been struggling with this for a couple days now and am wondering if it's my nook's wireless card that's the problem.  My home network is WPA2 secured wireless-N network without MAC filtering.  My N1E connects to this network just fine.  My N2E does not - it connects and everything looks fine for about 30 seconds, then it says connected but no internet access.

I have a WPA secured wireless-G router also, and I tried that out and that connects fine.  I've now daisychained them and that seems to work, but I'd really rather just have the one router and one network.  So...

What kind of home wifi network are you all using?  If you're using WPA2 and it's working fine, can you please chime in and let me know?  Same for if you're using wireless-N without an issue, or if you're using both.

I know the specs say it should work, so I'm just trying to figure out if it's my device that's got an issue or if this is an across the board issue with the N2Es.

Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle
0 Kudos

Re: N2E: Wifi Network Type Survey (and issue)

Probably an unnecessary question, but did you check the two devices at the same time and find that one connected and the other didn't?

I ask because I've had router issues just like that with my laptops on every router I've ever used. Typically all devices are offline at once, and when I reset the router (unplug the power from the router, leave it out 10 seconds or more, plug it back in), they connect and work again. No idea why it happens but if it happens again and both devices lost the connection, it might work.

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
keriflur
0 Kudos

Yep, checked both at the same time, and have checked the N2E repeatedly over about 48 hours.  No luck there.

Thanks tho.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I use WPA2 encryption with a dual band router.  My N1E, NC, and N2E can only see my 2.4 gb connection.  Neither has ever been able to see my 5 gb connection.

I don't think 802.11n works very well on any of the NOOKs.

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh yeah - now I remember seeing this about wireless-n in another thread. Said pretty much the same thing.

Nallia wrote:

I use WPA2 encryption with a dual band router.  My N1E, NC, and N2E can only see my 2.4 gb connection.  Neither has ever been able to see my 5 gb connection.

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
keriflur
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the N1E is only b/g, but it connects fine to my main network and that's throwing me off.  The main network is mixed b/g/n, so in theory, the N2E should be fine to connect.  I thought for sure it was the WPA2, but if you're using it without issue....

Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

@Keriflur:  What is the brand and model of the wifi router that you're having problems with?

Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the N1E is only b/g, but it connects fine to my main network and that's throwing me off.  The main network is mixed b/g/n, so in theory, the N2E should be fine to connect.  I thought for sure it was the WPA2, but if you're using it without issue....

N2E does do n, but only one kind.
An 802.11n router can run things in either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz.  N2E ONLY sees 2.4Ghz.
You either need to set your n router to be in 2.4Ghz mode, or get a b/g router.

keriflur
0 Kudos

My router only does 2.4 Ghz.  It's the Linksys e2100L.  http://bit.ly/df5Ld3

So... it should work, right?  Mixed  b/g/n, mixed WPA2/WPA security (it's WPA2 for n and WPA for g and b), 2.4 Ghz, I'm not using MAC filtering....

New User
NookNonsense
0 Kudos

I think there are serious WiFi issues with the Nook Touch,

I purchased a Nook Touch for my wife today (we leave 4am this Sat on vacation), to the Bahama's - I wanted her to buy some eBooks before we left (she is registered and I got the Nook Touch registered) - but every time she uses the Nook Touch it drops the internet in 2-5 minutes and will not reattach until I reboot my home router/wifi (a Zoom X6 ADSL modem with WiFi).

So alas it will not stay connected to the Wi-Fi and once it drops it can not reconnect and I certainly will not keep something that isn't as reliable as my daughters ipod and its WiFi

Nook Touch information

Software
S/N 3012230028723003
Model number
BNRV300
Wi-Fi MAC address
58:67:1a:70:b0:fe

When the Nook Touch connects (a success) the Wireless setting look something like the following:

Wi-Fi
Connected to minorca

Wireless Networks

minorca
Connected to the internet

from the Nook Touch's setting wireless (detail of above)

Status                Connected
     Speed                 54Mbps
     Single Strength   Fair
     Security              WPA/WPA2 PSK
     IP Adress           192.169.1.16

Then after it drops and I get a message like can not access the BN store it (the Nook Touch) will never connect again it just notes my hotspot as

Remembered Secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK

I have a iMAC, two iPhones, an Ipod, and a Cannon printer all on WiFi so I know my WiFi works fine. Okay I have NO Mac filtering, and I even put in a static IP to MAC address mapping thinking the NOOK was flacky with ARPs or something but still having issues.

WEIRD - Once every one else in the family was in bed and the Nook Touch is the only WiFi device it is staying connected for quite sometime.

So as an experiment I turned on my iPhone4 (it got IP 192.168.1.21) and read some E-mail - sure enough the Nook Touch lost its connection.

Now I have to reboot my router if I want to get the Nook Touch to reconnect - FYI the iPhone is surfing the internet while the Nook Touch is "stuck" since I have lots of iPhones and iPods in the house the Nook Touch is history in my book and on the immediate return list.  IMHO there is something wrong with the Nook Touch firmware it doesn't pay nice with other devices.

If I go on vacation I can't load books at home (or in the Bahama's).  Then when I come back the 14 day return period will be over. So I can not justify trying to have her buy books (with all the other phones and computers off) and then risking that B&N never fixes the firmware - this would essentially make the Nook Touch a paperweight in my household.

The wacky state on the Nook Touch is simply showing

Wi-Fi
Disconnected                           checked

Wireless Networks
minorca
Remembered Secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK

(I can check and uncheck and it never reconnects -yet the iMAC, the two iPhones, the iPod and the Cannon printer all work - while the Nook Touch is toast).

Okay after both the iPhone and the Nook Touch went to sleep for several minutes I tried to connect the Nook Touch again - no joy I have to reboot my router each time for the Nook to get 10-15 minutes of connect time.

Regards,

NookNonsense

New User
NookNonsense
0 Kudos

Just to be absolutely fair to the Nook - here is a bit of an update

The Nook Touch does work at Starbucks (unknown router/hotspot) and it does work with at my office that uses a business class AT&T U-verse WiFi (2-wire modem model 3600HGV),

So the issue occurs between my Zoom X6 ADSL modem with WiFi and the Nook Touch.  It is the combination of the two manufacture devices that generates the problem.

However all other WiFi devices at my house always worked, continue to work even when the Nook Touch "zombies" on the network (requiring a Zoom X6 reboot just to get a few minutes of time).  As no other combination of other mfg. devices have a problem, I perhaps my WiFi has lots of drops and all the other devices "know" how to reconnect BUT the Nook Touches firmware is not up to the task - just a guess here.

All the below work fine before during and after the Nook Touch loss of connectivity

• Apple Ipod -2- Zoom X6 hotspot
  • Apple iMAC -2- Zoom X6 hotspot
  • Apple iPhone 4 -2- Zoom X6 hotspot
  • Apple iPhone3 -2- Zoom X6 hotspot
  • Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless All-in-One Printer -2- Zoom X6 hotspot

Note, I can take the Nook Touch in it's "loss of home connectivity" where it will never connect to my home WiFi again (until the Zoom X6 hotspot is rebooted - which I don't want to do every five minutes) to a local starbuck and it will linkup right away. 

Oh and it isn't my security or firewall, the other nitght when all were asleep and all other WiFi devices were quiet I goud download smaple eBooks to the "basic" path from signon (via WPA/WPA2 PSK) to browsing books at the BN store to downloading book sample is all in place and does work.

Now other have similar experiences (with 1st Gen Nook -2- Netgear Router) refer to:

I am not about to run WireShark on my home LAN and analyze the exact packet sequences leading to the failure, nor am I going to research routers for adequate firewall features and then buy a new wireless/ router to replace my all-in-one ADSL router / WiFi system and spend hours getting it to work in my home environment and provide a VPN to my business.

It seems dumb there is NO DEBUG information or ADVANCED MODE.  I know the Nook Touch has some Easter eggs like special taps to find the WiFi at initial power-up/config on specific pages, and has a hidden slightly crippled Web Browser. But seriously if you don't tell customers where the "system logs" are and how to upload them to support how can you ever fix your firmware.

Also the support pages are sorely lacking e.g.

Gee I could live with the flacky WiFi issue until a firmware update if the damn thing could download eBooks via the USB cable - BUT - you have to WiFi

I am working blind here and have already spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME looking into the issue on a $130 consumer device.

Regards,

NookNonsense

New User
NookNonsense
0 Kudos

As a last ditch effort I called tech support - Nook's B&N Customer Service Center at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665).

UNBELIEVABLE - I spend 3-5 hours debugging the device document everything (except take a WireShark trace).  And they say oh we can't accept E-mail.

The proceed to ask me to things I already did (trust me I did a lot more)  ..

• reboot-router (Zoom X6 hotspot)
  • "Forget" the Nook Touch's WiFi - re-enter Nook Wifi info
  • "Forget" the Nook Touch's WiFi - reboot-router - re-enter Nook Wifi info
  • CALL ISP and enter the MAC-Address and an assigned DHCP IP address in the router

(A) Yes Iefter each scenario IFF (if and only if the Zoom X6 router was rebooted) the Nook would re-connect to the internet successfully BUT it would lose the connection after about 3-5 minutes of browsing the online B&N bookstore, and then once again it would never reconnect - always sticking in the "Disconnected" state.

(B) Once I added a MAC to IP address association (outside my dynamic DHCP block) the Nook Touch did indeed grab the fixed address I made for it 192.168.1.16 - which was different than the original dynamic assignment.  But the WiFi dropout and never reconnect behavior was the same.

All of the above was already done and known prior to my tech support call.

Frustrating this is the 21st century and they couldn't care less about E-mail and all the trouble shooting I did, and/or picture of screens.  I am not a dumb person but I seem to have wasted my time.  Hey they even asked for the S/N which was in the E-Mail I offered to send but NO NO they don't accept E-mail. And even worse in addition to NOT accepting E-mail they won't even look at this (their own) forum (that wouldn't be E-mail and it is on B&N's won site - what the heck am I taking Crazy Pills Here).

Everything is documented on http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N2E-Wifi-Network-Type-Survey-and-issu... - it is there own site - I don't think B&N Tech Support should worry about viruses and/or other issues from getting information on their own site.

The tech finally said I did everything to solve the problem and admitted there are some "rare problems like what I am seeing" then "Escalated to higher level support tier" on hold for twenty minutes waiting they asked for the model number of my router (Zoom X6 model# 5590C - with the latest firmware - Version 5.0.8-00 for North America dated 10/22/08) and my ISP (AT&T DSL 1.5Mbps up / 384Kbps down) and put me back on hold.

Another 10 minutes, told they need more time then the final answer "the Nook Touch is not compatible with your router" - no advanced tracing techniques and/or log files like I was hopping nothing they asked me nothing more to trouble shoot the device.  They said to trade it in for another Nook Touch and try again to see if it is the device itself and if a new device will work better ( oh but there is a wait list for Nook's in SoCal and that is easier said than done).  Not to mention how happy my boss is when I take a day off work to troubleshoot my wife's new eBook.

I was told if there was an issue on return replacement - to have the store call call the "Digital Support Department" at option #2 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665) provide my Nook's serial number S/N 3012230028723003 and they would authorize return/replace.   I had hoped for more

Regards,

NookNonsense

Inspired Contributor
Tomas_46
0 Kudos

You asked about our network specs:

My home LAN WiFi node is an Apple Time Capsule (essentially an Airport Extreme with HD storage) with MAC filtering and WPA2 security with options set to operate using 802.1n only on 2.4GHz only. Connection to the 'Net is via Motorola SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

My N2E works just fine on this, and will stay connected until it's poor little battery dies.

I've also had no problem accessing B&N WiFi, Starbucks WiFi, a couple of restaurants WiFi, and one motel's WiFi with that extra customer agreement page from my N2E.

Currently there are four computers, two printers, two smartphones, a TV, a Blu-Ray player, and my N2E operating on this WiFi node (my N1E doesn't have 802.11n, so it is on a separate node by itself that I have set up for older devices on an ancient Linksys router/WiFi node).

Tomas - University Place, WA