Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

N2E sideloaded books

I have a lot of ebooks, and most of them were not purchased at B&N (close to 2K from Fictionwise, back when they were actually one of the best ebookstores).  Are the sideloaded  books treated like second class citizens like they were with the N1E, where they were separated from the B&N books, did not support cover view, did not use the embedded metadata in the ebook to display additional information about the book?  Does it still use the same shelving system as the N1E?

Is there any file/folder browser on the N2E?  There are times when the N1E takes forever to scan my thousands of ebooks, and a file/folder browser would come in quite handily.

Even though there are ways to convert .pdb books to .epub, with all my investment in purchases from Fictionwise, I'm concerned that the N2E appears to have dropped the .pdb reader.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: N2E sideloaded books

bga_reviews wrote:

Even though there are ways to convert .pdb books to .epub, with all my investment in purchases from Fictionwise, I'm concerned that the N2E appears to have dropped the .pdb reader.

This is confirmed.  N2E will not read .pdb.

I don't have one in my hands so I can't answer any of your questions, though.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I read in another thread in this  forum that the sideloaded content and B&N purchased books are all treated the same, can be shelved the same, etc.  I don't know about cover art though.

You WILL need to convert your .pdb files to .epub format to use them on the N2E.

B&N Bookseller
MollyO
0 Kudos

On the N2E, your sideloaded content and your B&N purchases will all be grouped together in the main section of your library. 

Enjoy!

Molly - CRM2723
Inspired Contributor
robin-d
0 Kudos

its awesome on the new one its why im switching...in your library you can sort by seeing ALL which shows all your books sideloaded and b&n plus magazines and newspapers together with covers, if you switch to book then you see all books sideloaded included, you can sort to just see magazines and newspaper, also you can make shelves (looks like it does on nookcolor awesome) and if you are on shelf view you only see the shelves and content you shelved(yes you can put sideloaded and b&n ebooks on one shelf togeter) you wont see unshelved books in this view, then there is file view which is how you get to your folders with files...etc. then if you archive anything you can view just archived items, if you click on lendme(only shows view if u have lendable books) you can see just your lendable books. its AMAZING! sideloaded and b&n content living together perfectly! i LOVE it. it still has sorting by title author or most recent and you can search to find something also theres the list view which doesnt show covers and lists and then the side by side cover view.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis

I picked mine up today.  I have sideloaded books using Calibre and ADE, and they all show up in the library.  I am able to see the covers of the ones from Calibre, but not the ones from ADE. 

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I love that I can group my sideloaded books in with my B&N library!  However, I am having an issue with covers.  All my sideloaded books are done using Calibre and the cover art will show up on some,  but not on others.   Every book has it's cover art in Calibre so I don't know why the new Nook will acknowledge some covers but not others. 

All the covers are jpegs,  so that's not it.

I've tried downloaded the metadata via Calibre to see if that would help and that doesn't make a difference.

So I'm puzzled as to why it will recgonize some of my covers and not others.

Reader 4
Lu10ntDan
0 Kudos

See my recent note about thumbnail book covers on the N2E.  I had this issue too and found a way to fix it:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/N2E-not-displaying-all-book-covers-in...

Contributor
Truffled
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There is good news and bad news.  The good news (from what I hear) is that your content on the internal memory is grouped together! However:

"***Actual formatted capacity may be less. Approximately 1GB available to store content, of which up to 750MB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store."

So... that means you only have 250mb worth of space for your own books on the internal card, AND to make it worse stuff stored on the SD card is in a seperate area (called "My Files") and not your main library.(That is according to someone who has theirs already.)

So there is STILL book segregation.  With so little space for your own stuff, you might as well just get an SD card out of the gate, and put all your stuff on it, so you don't end up with a split library (well, it's not like us N1E users aren't used to that anyway).

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Truffled wrote:

There is good news and bad news.  The good news (from what I hear) is that your content on the internal memory is grouped together! However:

"***Actual formatted capacity may be less. Approximately 1GB available to store content, of which up to 750MB may be reserved for content purchased from the Barnes & Noble NOOK Store."

So... that means you only have 250mb worth of space for your own books on the internal card, AND to make it worse stuff stored on the SD card is in a seperate area (called "My Files") and not your main library.(That is according to someone who has theirs already.)

So there is STILL book segregation.  With so little space for your own stuff, you might as well just get an SD card out of the gate, and put all your stuff on it, so you don't end up with a split library (well, it's not like us N1E users aren't used to that anyway).

I just took the SD card out of my N1E and put it in the N2E.   When I go to the library on the N1E and make sure I have selected All, all the books show up there, those sideloaded to the main memory and those on the SD card.  I went from 2 pages of books to 9 pages of books without doing anything but loading the card and all the books open.  So they are only segregated in the background, not when you look at your library on the device.  Even books sideloaded directly to the device go into My Files.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Sideloaded books (books not in your B&N library) will always be in a different folder from your downloaded books since the download folder actually has to sync back to B&N.  This is a good thing as it helps to make sense of what you have sideloaded and what you have downloaded.

Also, epub files are really small, so you can get about 250 books in the storage on the device (that's an estimate, not a promise).

Contributor
Truffled
0 Kudos

@blkvr896 Cool! Good to know. Well, now I feel like a negative Nancy, but I'm glad that your books are only segregated in the files area and not on the device. I stand corrected.
Frequent Contributor
Ropebender
0 Kudos

I had wondered about getting an N2e t replace my N1e whenit expired (doesn't everything someday).  This topic clinched it.  I have many epub books I bought for my Palm Life Drive that are password protecdted, and as I understand it the Calibre program will not convert these to Epub. format.  Battery life or no, I guess I am satisfied with my N1e for as long as it takes :smileyhappy:

I also use the browser occasionally (hard as it is) and I DEFINATELY use the Mp3 player, though I do wish they would make it recognize a folder structure like they do for Screensavers.  THat would make it bunches easier to play music in categories and not have to "flip" through 600 songs.

I guess nothing is perfect, but N1e comes very close :smileyhappy:

Van!!

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
"There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Van!!
Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

I've... um... heard... that there might possibly be a way to change your DRM'd PDB files to EPUB using a plug-in for Calibre.  I know I would NEVER think of doing something like this, but if you do a Google search, I'm wiling to bet you can find it with a little bit of time.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

I just took the SD card out of my N1E and put it in the N2E.   When I go to the library on the N1E and make sure I have selected All, all the books show up there, those sideloaded to the main memory and those on the SD card.  I went from 2 pages of books to 9 pages of books without doing anything but loading the card and all the books open.  So they are only segregated in the background, not when you look at your library on the device.  Even books sideloaded directly to the device go into My Files.

Did you mean the N2E where I've bold-underlined? Just want to be clear before I go out and buy it :smileywink:. To belabor the point a little (sorry) - sideloaded epubs on an SD card in the N2E will show up in the main library when "ALL" is selected, right?

I ask because other buyers have told me that sideloaded epubs on the SD card show up under "My files" (not "My books"). Does this mean their metadata isn't read and they just show up as filenames (no covers, title or author)? That would also mean they don't get included in author, title searches or sorts and just sorta sit there as dumb files.

WIth the 250MB practical limit on sideloaded content in the main memory (750MB is reserved for B&N use), this becomes a rather important issue since I expect a lot of my sideloaded content to be forced to sit on the SD card. Is this just N1E's content (and therefore feature) segregation sneaking in the back door? :smileysad: I hope not. And I hope someone will say I'm just plain wrong here so I can go out and spend my birthday gift cards on this thing :smileytongue:.

The cake is a lie.
Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

I'd kind of like to know the answer to this one myself.  I already have the N2E (I was lucky to be able to get one this past Friday), so all I need is a micro SD card.  I should have one around the house somewhere, but I'm sure I've lost it.  Anyway, I'll probably pick one up today to test it out, and I'll report my findings later today.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

aditya wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

Did you mean the N2E where I've bold-underlined? Just want to be clear before I go out and buy it :smileywink:. To belabor the point a little (sorry) - sideloaded epubs on an SD card in the N2E will show up in the main library when "ALL" is selected, right?

I ask because other buyers have told me that sideloaded epubs on the SD card show up under "My files" (not "My books"). Does this mean their metadata isn't read and they just show up as filenames (no covers, title or author)? That would also mean they don't get included in author, title searches or sorts and just sorta sit there as dumb files.

WIth the 250MB practical limit on sideloaded content in the main memory (750MB is reserved for B&N use), this becomes a rather important issue since I expect a lot of my sideloaded content to be forced to sit on the SD card. Is this just N1E's content (and therefore feature) segregation sneaking in the back door? :smileysad: I hope not. And I hope someone will say I'm just plain wrong here so I can go out and spend my birthday gift cards on this thing :smileytongue:.

Yes, I mean't N2E, sorry.  

I removed the SD card and put it back in my N1E, but here's what I remember.

All the books loaded directly on to the device show up under books.  Sorry, I don't remember if the books on the SD card show up there or not, but, they show up together when you have the library set to ALL.

They do NOT show up as just file names.  The book icon is there and it has the name of the book and author in the icon.  Some of the books had cover art, some different.  It seemed, for the most part, that the books with the cover art on the SD card are those that were loaded via Calibre.

I didn't try searching with the SD card in, but searching with sideloaded content on the device, it found the book regardless of cover art.  I sideloaded two books directly on to the device, both purchased from B&N.  One has cover art, the other doesn't, just the name of the author/book.  But the search found it.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis

OK, picked up a micro SD card.  I plugged in my Nook to my laptop, then put the SD card in my laptop's card reader.  I moved all of my Calibre loaded titles directly from the Nook to the Micro SD card.  I ejected both, then turned on the Nook to make sure that my Calibre books were gone from the Nook, which they were.  I then inserted the Micro SD card into the Nook.  All of the books on my card shows up in the Nook library (with cover art intact).  I also tried a search for a book title that was on the card and it did come up in the search. 

I have not tried ADE books on the card.  I only have about 30 or so books from Sony, and I usually only check one book out from the library at a time, so I'm not concerned about the room those take up.

Distinguished Wordsmith
aditya
0 Kudos

bklvr896 and MarkinStLouis: 

You're both awesome! Thanks for the detailed experiments and posting the results :smileyhappy:.

The cake is a lie.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MarkinStLouis wrote:

OK, picked up a micro SD card.  I plugged in my Nook to my laptop, then put the SD card in my laptop's card reader.  I moved all of my Calibre loaded titles directly from the Nook to the Micro SD card.  I ejected both, then turned on the Nook to make sure that my Calibre books were gone from the Nook, which they were.  I then inserted the Micro SD card into the Nook.  All of the books on my card shows up in the Nook library (with cover art intact).  I also tried a search for a book title that was on the card and it did come up in the search. 

I have not tried ADE books on the card.  I only have about 30 or so books from Sony, and I usually only check one book out from the library at a time, so I'm not concerned about the room those take up.

I have instructions somewhere on how to get ADE to see the SD card and be able to sideload books directly to the SD card in ADE.  I'll have to look for them.  I do it on my N1E all the time.

Edit:

Found them:  

Give your card a recognizable name, because that's how it'll show up in ADE.  (You do this in Windows Explorer by right clicking on the SD drive and selecting rename.  I named my Nook SD.  Not very original, I know, but it works)

Copy the .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions folders from your main "drive" to your SD card. Delete everything from the Digital Editions folder on your SD card, but leave the .adobe-digital-editions folder alone (and, of course, leave the folders on your main drive alone)

Once you do this, the SD card will show up in ADE when you connect your Nook.  You should then be able to copy books directly to the SD card from within ADE.

I know this works on the N1E, I haven't tried it on the N2E but I don't see why it wouldn't work.