Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Jodisims
0 Kudos

NE1 - no more updates?

Seriously?  This saddens me.  As the first ones on board with the Nook experiment I feel we deserve better treatment than to be cast aside for the shiny new toys.

The first Nook is the perfect mesh of the Nook color and the newest little member, Ne2!  A little bit of e-ink, a little bit of color, a little bit of touch....plus the 3g, user replaceable battery, browser, software updat....<ahem>.

Perhaps I'm just mad because one of the features that pushed me ultimately to the Nook over Kindle WAS the "software upgrades".  "Ha!" I thought "Let those Kindle users buy a new device every time they want an update!!".  Jokes on me, folks :smileysad:

:::heavy sigh:::: Thanks for indulging my little pity party.  I have no intention of giving up my Nook - I simply love it too much.  I'm really hoping for a reconsideration.  Until then, I guess I'll just read :smileyhappy:

:::stepping off soapbox::::

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Re: NE1 - no more updates?

The original Nook will continue to be updated for anything that involves communicating with Barnes and Noble.

Do not expect any updates for new functionality or improvements. This is normal practice in the electronics industry when hardware has been retired.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

the N2E is actually the perfect blend of eink and Nook Color. NC style menus while black and white.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

Jodisims wrote:

Seriously?  This saddens me.  As the first ones on board with the Nook experiment I feel we deserve better treatment than to be cast aside for the shiny new toys.

The first Nook is the perfect mesh of the Nook color and the newest little member, Ne2!  A little bit of e-ink, a little bit of color, a little bit of touch....plus the 3g, user replaceable battery, browser, software updat....<ahem>.

Perhaps I'm just mad because one of the features that pushed me ultimately to the Nook over Kindle WAS the "software upgrades".  "Ha!" I thought "Let those Kindle users buy a new device every time they want an update!!".  Jokes on me, folks :smileysad:

:::heavy sigh:::: Thanks for indulging my little pity party.  I have no intention of giving up my Nook - I simply love it too much.  I'm really hoping for a reconsideration.  Until then, I guess I'll just read :smileyhappy:

:::stepping off soapbox::::

what exactly do you need the Ne1 to do that it does not? 

for me the device works just fine, so if it is working and meeting my needs (which is does) I could care less if they ever update it again. 

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

what exactly do you need the Ne1 to do that it does not? 

for me the device works just fine, so if it is working and meeting my needs (which is does) I could care less if they ever update it again. 

That's basically how I feel. Once they "fix" their last update and I can use my SD card again at any rate. :smileyvery-happy: 

As much as I am a new gadget geek and would LOVE to run out and get a N2E, mine does all I need. If I were to change anything it would be to get the stuff I DON'T need, want or use off of it (web, audio, games - yeah, you can see why I am drawn to the new one!) rather than to ADD things. But as long as my N1E is doing such a great job as a reader, I'm happy! 

LisaB

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

I have to admit to being a bit frustrated with BN at this point as well concerning the new models and updates. The functions I've been waiting for are functions that would be easy to include in the software for either the NE1 or NE2: zooming capability for reading graphic PDF's, and the ability to easily access, search, and export annotations (I'm the kind of reader that always reads with a pen in hand, and carry around a lot of articles in PDF format for work). While BN hasn't added this functionality to either of their e-ink devices, Amazon has, so, I'm afraid, I'll be hanging on to my NE1 in order to access content I've already bought from BN, but I'm afraid my next ereader device will be a Kindle--not because I think the Kindle's hardware is superior to BN's, but because the software includes features I want that BN obviously isn't interested in providing.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Beren wrote:

I have to admit to being a bit frustrated with BN at this point as well concerning the new models and updates. The functions I've been waiting for are functions that would be easy to include in the software for either the NE1 or NE2: zooming capability for reading graphic PDF's, and the ability to easily access, search, and export annotations (I'm the kind of reader that always reads with a pen in hand, and carry around a lot of articles in PDF format for work). While BN hasn't added this functionality to either of their e-ink devices, Amazon has, so, I'm afraid, I'll be hanging on to my NE1 in order to access content I've already bought from BN, but I'm afraid my next ereader device will be a Kindle--not because I think the Kindle's hardware is superior to BN's, but because the software includes features I want that BN obviously isn't interested in providing.

B&N never said they were even considering adding any of the functionality you listed above.  I personally don't understand why you even purchased a Nook knowing that it didn't have or was ever planned to get the functionality you needed or wanted.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Beren wrote:

B&N never said they were even considering adding any of the functionality you listed above.  I personally don't understand why you even purchased a Nook knowing that it didn't have or was ever planned to get the functionality you needed or wanted.

If I'm not mistaken, the original documentation for the NE1 stated the ability to export notes and highlights.  We never did get that.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

If it works fine for you, great.  However, I was sold a device that is supposed to be able to annotate and highlight.  Have you tried it?  It is the worst piece of junk ever for highlighting and annotating.  I can annotate and highlight better on the danged phone!  And yes, Amazon has them beat there.  I am afraid that BN is actually getting behind in functionality while they try to sell "sexy" (NC has color, N2E is "touch screen").  Once Amazon brings out its tablet and expected touch screen eink device, gets OTA library lending going, BN is going to be hurting. 

Sorry to be terse but I get tired of people saying "it works fine, I don't see a need to change".  Great for you!  But despite your narcissitic view of yourself, there are other users who expect the device to do EVERYTHING that it was advertised to do and do it WELL (for an example of not doing it well just look at "pdf support").  And if we expect more from BN then tough you will just have to continue to read our complaints (or not, you have the ability to just not read the thread don't you?)

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

If B&N said they were going to add annotations then I apologize.  I skim over features that aren't important to me.  I use the Nook for the most part for reading fiction.  In fact, I can't ever recall ever making an annotation in anything I've read even prior to purchasing the Nook.  That's just me though.  I can certainly understand your frustration if B&N said they were going to include a feature that others may need and then didn't. 

My comment was directed more towards zooming etc.

Once again, my apologies.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

If it works fine for you, great.  However, I was sold a device that is supposed to be able to annotate and highlight.  Have you tried it?  It is the worst piece of junk ever for highlighting and annotating.  I can annotate and highlight better on the danged phone! 

so why didn't you return the device when you found out the functionality was less than expected?

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Because of a bug in 1.6, expect at least one update.  Probably a 1.6.1.  After that updates are unlikely.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Alan, my comment was not directly addressed to you but rather a mometary outburst against the factions that seem to be lining up on this board, those that say it works the way they want and needs no fixes and those that want to sue BN for everything including polluted waterways.  I just believe that people can either be a) satisfied or b) want their device better and BOTH are correct since everyone has different expectations.  Asking to have new functionality is one thing but when the device has a function, and that function doesn't work well...accepting that is one legitimate way to react and expecting a fix is another.

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

TNS wrote:

Because of a bug in 1.6, expect at least one update.  Probably a 1.6.1.  After that updates are unlikely.

According to the CS rep I spoke with, they are working on 1.7 to do what 1.6 was meant to.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

RSC_Nook wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

If it works fine for you, great.  However, I was sold a device that is supposed to be able to annotate and highlight.  Have you tried it?  It is the worst piece of junk ever for highlighting and annotating.  I can annotate and highlight better on the danged phone! 

so why didn't you return the device when you found out the functionality was less than expected?

I'm not Nom-de-Nook, but I can tell you why I didn't return mine.  When the N1E came out, it was a little half-baked, frankly.  The notes and hightlights functions did not match the original specs and B&N stated that this functionality would come in a later release.  This gave users VERY VALID REASONS  to believe that their devices would be updated to include the promised functionality.  It's not the same as not liking something and hoping B&N will change it.

Since B&N had no track record in devices and, IMO, had always come through before on promises to their customers, I chose to believe them.  Updates came fast and furious in the first few months the device was out, and once they fixed the major reading and shopping bugs it seemed like notes and highlights would be next.  Then they released games, and it was clear to me that B&N were not prioritizing the notes and highlights functionality.  By then I'd had the device for over 6 months and was well past the return window.

Yeah, if the device met specs and the specs didn't meet my needs, or if B&N hadn't publicly stated the functionality would be coming, maybe I would have returned it and got a kindle.  But I trusted B&N to stick to their word.

IMO this is a very different situation from a lot of what we're seeing on these boards - users demanding changes that weren't in the specs, or buying a device that doesn't meet their needs and assuming B&N will change it so it does.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

thanks keriflur.  I was not trying to be confrontational, but conversational - ws just curious of the views of what the nook should or should not do and the history of how it was advertised and presented.

your answer is much appreciated.

I am again just curious about the thoughts of others and how things may or may not of been presented. 

Correspondent
Jodisims

For me it's not a matter of "what else do I want the Nook to do".  It's more that I purchased this unit with the explicit understanding that software updates were part of the package.  Updates to what?  Improved functionality.  I wasn't pining for bookshelves but I loved the update.  I wasn't bothered by the slow pages turns but noted improved reading experience with the change.   I would really like to have seen improvements in the browser as well.  Most everybody has forgiven BN for the lousy browser but it's part of what I paid for and I expected to see improvement as time went on.  

I did not realize that the software updates were good for a year or so.  That seems short, even in today's rapidly changing digital world.

As a business woman, I  understand the need to invest your R&D in what will keep up with and surpass your competitors.  There have been more than one review of the Ne2 that feel it was designed to look and feel more like a Kindle. 

Logically, I understand why they aren't putting time and money into Ne1.  Emotionally, I'm just a little hurt.  But I'll put on my big girl pants and move on - I just wanted to see if I was alone in my opinion. :smileyhappy:

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide
Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

To clarify: I was assured by the BN employee who sold me my N1e that such functionality would become available, that the device was fully capable of handling PDF's of any kind, and that notes would be searchable and exportable.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Beren wrote:

To clarify: I was assured by the BN employee who sold me my N1e that such functionality would become available, that the device was fully capable of handling PDF's of any kind, and that notes would be searchable and exportable.

Unfortunately, it appears you were misled.  That functionality may work on a future device but BN's comments seem to indicate that 1.7 is the last planned update.  There could be future updates for housekeeping purposes but I wouldn't expect any of the functionality to change at this point (for better or worse)

Frequent Contributor
Beren
0 Kudos

Yes, precisely my point, unfortunately: this is not about wishing for additional funcitonality that BN never mentioned. Both the original Nook documentation and an earnest BN employee made promises that led me to believe that the Nook would have the features I mentioned (full PDF and annotation support). Because of that I chose to buy the Nook over the Kindle, because the Nook used the more versatile and less proprietary epub format. With the promised functions, it would be the perfect device. Unfortunately, BN never made good on those promises. Consequently, while I do like my current nook for casual reading and probably won't replace it soon, I probably won't purchase another BN device.