Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Polimar
0 Kudos

NEW Nook Color....also 9,4'' version??

Hi everyone,

I'll be waiting the announce of the new nook color.

I hope that there is also a version of 9'' in addition of the 7''.

Something like the Sony Tablet S.

When the new model comes out?

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

Re: NEW Nook Color....also 9,4'' version??

[ Edited ]

Polimar wrote:When the new model comes out?

Thanks.

No one knows until B&N announces it.  There is lots of speculation and rumors, but until there is an official announcement, that's all they are, rumors and guesses.

I'm not holding my breath on a larger screen device.  Everyone seems to be emphasizing 7" or smaller.  One of the complaints about the iPad is while it's large screen makes it highly suited for some things, it is too large, too bulky and too heavy to be a heavily used ereader device.  As long as the emphasis (regardless of other uses, intended or not) is on ereading, I just think anything larger than 7" becomes cumbersome.  Also, since the larger LED-backlit LCD screen takes more power, you either have to add significant weight in a larger battery, or suffer dismal run times on a single charge.

A computer tablet certainly benefits from a larger screen, but an ereader, IMO, does not.  I have almost never used my iPad2 as an ereader - my N2E or my NC are far, far better suited to that purpose (although I grant you that my iPad2 is much better for note taking in meetings and when discussing work projects, it is far better for viewing images and graphics - what it does well it does extremely well, just that in terms of ereading, at least ereading for liesure, it fails, largely because of its size and weight).

Because B&N is, at its core, a book seller, I just don't seem them plunging into the larger screen, tablet computing market.  If they keep their emphasis on making a great ereader that just happens to also be useful for some tablet computing functions, then I don't see a larger screen forthcoming.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I own a 1st ed. Nook and Nook Color and almost all my reading is done on the original nook while I do surfing on the color. I find the size of the color perfect for a tablet. IPad to me is too big so I rather not like to see a bigger nook color.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

The only thing I could see them offering a larger screen for specifically would be a device with full NOOKstudy integration. Textbooks would be something that a 10 inch screen does better than a 7 inch screen.

Outside of that, though, I don't really see it happening.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Kobo just announced THEIR 7" tablet was available for pre-order at $199.99. It's going to be a Christmas season with a lot of choices.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

The Kobo device looks nice but on the surface it only has 2 advantages over the NC, price and full Andoid market access.  We will see if BN responds.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

The Kobo device looks nice but on the surface it only has 2 advantages over the NC, price and full Andoid market access.  We will see if BN responds.

In Kobo's ad it says "Popular apps like Facebook® and RDIO® come ready to go and the store offers over 15,000 hot music, video and game apps." That doesn't sound like access to THE Android market. The specs look almost identical to the year-old Nook Color. I'm sure it will sell fairly well in Canada though.  :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tim40744 wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

In Kobo's ad it says "Popular apps like Facebook® and RDIO® come ready to go and the store offers over 15,000 hot music, video and game apps." That doesn't sound like access to THE Android market. The specs look almost identical to the year-old Nook Color. I'm sure it will sell fairly well in Canada though.  :smileywink:

Actually it says "Choose from more than 15,000 FREE apps!"  on this part of the web site

http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox_apps

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Actually it says "Choose from more than 15,000 FREE apps!"  That is the number of FREE apps not necessarily the total number of apps.

I copy/pasted from the Kobo page...it doesn't say free anywhere. Where are you seeing that?

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox_apps

If you click on the "Order Today" button, the word "free" (in regards to apps) never appears on the product page. Perhaps they should get their ducks in a row.