Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Grammaknits02

Re: NO ONE deserves an upgrade.

[ Edited ]

I forgot to add my own complaint here...

When Nook first came out it was $259.00 or $249.00  whichever it was--I can't remember.  Then they came out with Nook Wi-fi for $149.00 and dropped the price of the 3G to $199.00.  Well--I bought the Nook WiFi for $149.00 but I am really upset that I got such a great deal.  I wanted to pay the $249.00.  It's not my fault I waited so long and got such a great deal...what's up with this better pricing to make e-readers more affordable!!! I think B&N must have set out to personally screw me over with the lowered price!!!  :smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

I love my Nook just the way it is.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

I freely admit it, I DO work for B&N

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Reader 4
Meemo_B
0 Kudos

I don't get it - I've watched the same thing happen when new Kindles came out.

One possible explanation - laziness.  "I don't want to have to go out and sell my nook myself...I want a 'trade-in'."  Instead of expending all that energy feeling entitled and abused, expend it putting it on eBay, or craigslist, or on nookboards or kindleboards or mobileread and get MORE money than you would for a "trade-in".  Seriously, what's wrong with people??

And whining that a new one is out "just" a year after the original came out?  Must be those folks' first brush with tech devices. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

MamaDragon3 wrote:

Since when do customers get upgrades?  I mean, if you'd gone out and bought a computer, and the next month a newer, better one came out, you would not be able to take the computer back and upgrade it, right?  Neither can you do this with a TV, a car, or any other things that are constantly coming out with new models.  I'm new here, but I don't understand the mentality of feeling any NOOK customer DESERVES an upgrade.  That's like saying you deserve an upgrade from Honda because they came out with a new car model. 

This post makes the most sense.  Of course, we should all keep our discussions civil.  But people need to realize that as soon as you buy any piece of tech, it is outdated.  And that really comparing a nookcolor to a nook is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges.  The pricepoint that people have gotten nooks for recently is better than what early adopters paid.  And the real comparison is between the nook WiFi and the nook color-a $100 difference.  There's your discount.  The nookcolor is a different device-most significant for an e-reader is the fact that it isn't using e-ink.
I recently bought a digital slr.  It was significantly cheaper than it was when it was released.  It was a good deal.  A month later they released a significant upgrade to this dslr for a small bump in price from what I just paid.  Now is that their fault?  Should companies stop selling products they already have still in stock for months before releasing an upgrade or even a completely new product?  No.  Do they owe us anything for buying an item that we felt fit our needs if they start selling something else?  No.
However, I do think there should be upgrades to the current nook's firmware.  Upgrades that do provide some significant improvements and they've promised one for November.
People need to stop and think-did I get the product I paid for?  Was the price reasonable in that I didn't feel taken? 
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree!!  My Nook was definitely well worth what I paid for it, and I certainly got what I paid for and I love it.  I don't feel cheated in the least.  I have been happy with my Nook from day one!!:smileyvery-happy:

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: The New NookColor--I am disappointed

[ Edited ]

vagabondFL wrote:

What I DO know is that MOST reputable companies have a 30-return policy. 

While many companies do offer such policies, Barnes and Noble has never hidden the fact that there is a 14 day returns policy.  Some companies do charge re-stocking fees even for un-opened items.  There are other stores that even have a 90 day policy.  And actually it doesn't appear that you even asked the question if you could return it because it is a gift and you failed to get the gift receipt for it.  A lot of times it just takes asking a question first and complaining once you have exhausted all reasonable possibilities.:smileyhappy:

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader 2
CHiCKEE
0 Kudos

He wasn't talking about a software upgrade he was talking about people who bought a nook and now think they deserve to be able to hand it back and get a nookcolor as replacement. 

We all deserve software upgrades.  =)

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The one other thing I want to say here is that the classic nook and nook color are of course 2 different devices, but even if they weren't, oh well.

I got a nook in January which cost $259.  Some time later the price was reduced and now it is $189.  Now they announce nook color (yet to be released and not in the hands of any customer as yet) which is $10 less than my original nook, but more expensive by $100 than the classic nook it best compares to (wifi only for both-in fact the wifi on the nook color is not as good as that on the nook classic wifi version because you can't access free AT&T hotspots with it).

If I buy a car, the second that car is transferred into my name it is worth thousands of dollars less than the purchase price.  That I find ridiculous, but we live with it, we can do nothing about it, and we don't run back to the dealer and say we deserve a rebate or whatever.  And that is literally thousands of dollars.

But, we come on here and moan about new devices coming out that have some better features (color and so on), but some worse features (no user replaceable battery, no 3G, WiFi only that is even more limited than the WiFi only classic nook) and that actually costs more than what we bought.  What is wrong with this picture?

Here's what it comes down to:

Nook classic initial price-$259, released roundabout Christmas, give or take a month or so.  User possibly had a full year's worth of use of this item-value of that is up to the user to determine of course, but can't be discounted.

Nook classic current pricing-$189 for 3G and WiFi version

$149 for wifi only which can access free AT&T hotspots

Nook Color (yet to be released) pricing-$249 for a limited WiFi version that cannot access free AT&T hotspots.

The nook color has features that are arguably better or worse than the current nook classic.  LCD (isn't for everyone), the battery, limited wifi only, the battery, lack of pdb support, did I mention the battery? 

New User
AvidReaderMB
0 Kudos

you all bought a reader not a PC, not a tablet, a reader. Use it for what it was inteded to do, allow you to store and read hundreds of books.

New User
Tuan88
0 Kudos

Could I trade in Nook 3G WIFI to get discount for Nook Color?

I want the Nook Color because I have heard that it will has a good dictionary built-in and future download-able applications. I want the dictionary application that can translate English words from Nook Color to Vietnamese and other educational applications. So, could I trade in Nook 3G WIFI to get discount for Nook Color? Thank you in advance.
New User
JilliBean12700
0 Kudos

Re: Could I trade in Nook 3G WIFI to get discount for Nook Color?

Good luck! I am really upset that my nook will be two months old and they will not allow for the upgrade. I would rather have the nook color but hey for those of us who have already purchased them we are S.O.L.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

There are many threads already about this issue.  If you are within the return window; 14 days at B&N, 30 at Best Buy, then you can return it and wait for the NOOKcolor.  But they are different devices for different markets so the NOOKcolor is not an upgraded version of the original nook and nook wifi.

As an aside: I wonder if the frequency of these threads has to do with the (I'm assuming large) number of people who purchased the nook that really never purchased much new tech before and this is their first experience with its short life cycle.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

I have a difficult time taking these discount threads seriously. Especially when there's so many of them.

I really want to know when was the last time the manufacturer of a device provided a trade in / upgrade deal when a new product has come out. Especially a non upgrade product. The NOOK and NOOKcolor is like an iPod and iPod Touch. To completely different products with similar names that both has the purpose of playing music. Come to think of it, the Touch came out a few months after I bought an iPod. Apple owes me an upgrade.

I used to buy lots of stereo equipment. There was always a new model coming out in a few weeks/months that actually was replacing/obseleting the model I'd just bought. Sony has never given me an upgrade option. It's just the nature of electronics. You can guarentee they will bring out a new model next year.

So really, what is the precedent set that people think they should have an hardware upgrade path provided to them by B & N. Search online and you can find all sorts of places willing to buy your old hardware at a very small fraction of what you paid. But no hardware manufacturers seem to ever provide this. The only reason I can think if they would is if there's a recall on a defective product.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

Oh, replying to myself. I did just think of something that provides an upgrade path. My wireless company provides me with a discount to upgrade to a new phone every few years as long as I keep renewing my contract. But no contract, no discount. Not much of and upgrade savings seeing how lately anything newer comes with more strings and services you need to add to actually use the phone.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

All NOOKs have the same Merriam-Webster dictionary.  The NOOKcolor does not yet have an app store but people can sign up for SDK development.  NOOKcolor is also WiFi only so if you regularly make use of the 3G on your NOOK, NOOKcolor may not be for you.

If your NOOK is within the 14 day return period, as noted on the back of the receipt, you can return your NOOK to the Barnes and Noble store and pre-order the NOOKcolor.  Otherwise, there are no trade-in programs.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

RodneyJT wrote:

Oh, replying to myself. I did just think of something that provides an upgrade path. My wireless company provides me with a discount to upgrade to a new phone every few years as long as I keep renewing my contract. But no contract, no discount. Not much of and upgrade savings seeing how lately anything newer comes with more strings and services you need to add to actually use the phone.

They don't provide you a discount for "upgrading" - they provide you a discounted price in exchange for locking yourself into a contract for 2 years.  People who are new to the provider get the same exact discount, even though they don't have a prior phone.  And if you cancel early, you have to kick in a $200 cancellation fee, which is sometimes more than the difference in the price.  

Contributor
iandix
0 Kudos

I find it even more interesting that most of the people who are asking for discounts or demanding swapping nook for a nookcolour, that was their first post to this site. Makes me wonder if it's not the same troll just making new accounts and posting over and over.

New User
Xenia22
0 Kudos

i just got the old nook and a new nook comes out a month later, wtf?

I just got a nook (with wifi and 3g) like a month ago and now i find out a new nook just came out.  is there a way i can switch mine for the newest one and pay a smaller amount?  i think this is bs.  Had i known the new nook was coming out i would of held out for it. 

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Re: i just got the old nook and a new nook comes out a month later, wtf?

What do you use your nook for?  Do you use the 3G functionality of your current NOOK more than the WiFi?  If so, and you tend to read novels with black-and-white print, your current NOOK 3G/WiFi model is correct for your needs.  NOOKcolor is designed for a consumer who will be more likely to download graphics-heavy magazines and children's books; NOOKcolor is available in a WiFi-only format (no 3G), has a different screen technology, and has a battery life of approximately 8 hours with the WiFi off (as opposed to approximately 10 days for NOOK 3G/WiFi).  NOOKcolor is an addition to the current NOOK line, not a replacement.

The standard B&N return window is 14 days from the date of purchase.  If, after looking at the features for NOOKcolor, you feel it would be a better fit for you ask to speak to the manager of your Barnes and Noble about returning your current NOOK and placing a pre-order for NOOKcolor.  NOOKcolor will be available for pick-up/delivery on November 19.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com