Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TankRan
0 Kudos

Re: NO ONE deserves an upgrade.

I brought my Nook ($249) roughly 4 weeks before the WI-Fi and WI-FI/3G models went on sale.  Of course it would have been nice if I was able to trade in my system for the WI-FI model but then BN would have another used system on thier hands and they would be taking a finacial lose. You don't see other manufacturs allowing this type of program so why should BN. This is all part of life.  It would have been nice if BN did a better job of advertising as well as marketing so a perspective buyer would not what is on the horizon but sadley they don't so we don't.

If you brought your nook within the return period then go that route otherwise you need to accept it and live with it.

Remember any day you get to open your eyes, you have a good day ahead of you..
Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

"NO ONE deserves an upgrade."

... what about Raven?

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Reader
FeliciaDF
0 Kudos

Probably a trade in would be appropriate - maybe if a customer just purchased a nook within a short amount of time of the new one (say a month)- being able to return it and purchase the newer model.  This would only be extending a return policy for two weeks and Barnes Noble will make an extra $100 that they probably wouldn't normally have made.  My guess is most people who just bought a nook within the month are not going to simpy trash it and spend $250 on the new model. 

I would think B&N would want their product out in people's hands, showing it off.   I'm sure Amazon will come out with their touch screen color model soon.  All the unhappy Nook people can keep their lesser Barnes and Noble device for a few months and then move to Amazon model - start downloading their books from Amazon etc...

Making customers feel valued goes a long way.  A customer that feels ripped off will remember his/her dissatisfaction for a very long time and will tell others.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FeliciaDF wrote:

Probably a trade in would be appropriate - maybe if a customer just purchased a nook within a short amount of time of the new one (say a month)- being able to return it and purchase the newer model.  This would only be extending a return policy for two weeks and Barnes Noble will make an extra $100 that they probably wouldn't normally have made.  My guess is most people who just bought a nook within the month are not going to simpy trash it and spend $250 on the new model. 

I would think B&N would want their product out in people's hands, showing it off.   I'm sure Amazon will come out with their touch screen color model soon.  All the unhappy Nook people can keep their lesser Barnes and Noble device for a few months and then move to Amazon model - start downloading their books from Amazon etc...

Making customers feel valued goes a long way.  A customer that feels ripped off will remember his/her dissatisfaction for a very long time and will tell others.

So the customer is always right even if they are wrong. HUH??? BN owes customers who purchased a NOOK a short time ago nothing. The NOOK has been out for a year now, if a consumer is not smart to realize that a new offering is around the corner thats their fault. Simple research is sufficent to tell anyone that. People shouldnt buy tech devices if they cannot grasp the fact that a device is considered old  after 6 months.

The internet has been at full force for 14 years now. If people know how to post here they should also now know how to research a product. The ereader market is still growing, If some people who feel they were ripped off because another product was released, want to go to Amazon, they are welcome to. I dont think BN will have too much a loss because they werent Loyal customers to start with. Besides these same customers will whine when Amazon releases new ereaders as well. Fact is there is a segement of consumers who wil always cry. Theres NEVER any way to please them no matter what.

Reader
TessaAnne
0 Kudos

I already have my nook sold, I could have sold it several times over!  I'm buying a new color nook as soon as they are available!

I love my current nook, but am really jazzed about getting the upgrade!

There are plenty of people out there that would be willing to buy the old model.  Next time someone sees you with the current model, tell them it's for sale because you are getting a new one.

The glass is half full people!

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

FeliciaDF wrote:

*Sniff, sniff*  I think I smell Troll.

I started to respond, but then I decided there was just too much bait here that I might choke on.

Reader 4
Sparky127
0 Kudos

That would be like wanting to turn a black & white television into a color television! They are different animals altogether!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I was in a store yesterday and I noticed they have some really cool, new TV's out, with better displays than mine.  It is less than a year old, I think they should let me trade my old TV for a new one.

Sorry, I can't think of one rationale argument or reason why B&N should be expected to let current Nook owners trade their's in and receive credit for the color nook.  The only think I can think of where you can get a trade in is with a car and then they give you pennies for it.  Using a car as an example, if they let you trade in your Nook they should give you about $10 for it.

Contributor
davidn
0 Kudos

The color nook is not exactly an upgrade to the current e-ink nook but a different device with a slightly different niche, more like a small iPad (cheaper and more portable, both big plusses).  Some of us however really like the e-ink display and find reading for long periods on an LCD display less comfortable.  The battery life is much shorter -- 8 hours vs. several days (with wi-fi off).  The color nook is a little larger and may not slip into a pocket quite as easily.  On the other hand, the color touch screen will make it easier to read magazines, visit web sites, and do email.  I could see owning one of each and still using primarily the original nook for reading books.  Which brings up an interesting question -- would I be able to have both registered together or will B&N just let me register one or the other?

New User
FotoGraffer
0 Kudos

B&W to Color Upgrade?

I feel like I got ripped off! Just bought the WiFi 3G Nook only to learn 2 weeks later that the color model became available.  B&N, are you going to offer a reduced price upgrade for those of us who purchased the old Nook such a short time ago?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: B&W to Color Upgrade?

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

I'll give you $85 for it, just like a discount!

Frequent Contributor
Bugeyed
0 Kudos

Oh, you're jocking. Had me going there.

Cheers,

kev

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FotoGraffer wrote:

I feel like I got ripped off! Just bought the WiFi 3G Nook only to learn 2 weeks later that the color model became available.  B&N, are you going to offer a reduced price upgrade for those of us who purchased the old Nook such a short time ago?

Nope. After 14 days you cant return it. You werent ripped off. The NookColor isnt an upgrade to the Nook. Its a different product. Its not e-ink, its LCD. Two different things. Read these boards for more info.

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Repeat:  NOOKcolor is not an upgrade to the NOOK.

We should have a betting pool on how many threads like this there will be before the end of the year. :smileyvery-happy:

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Once again you can compare this to any other tech or product out there.  If I buy a can of soup today and the store has a 7 day refund policy and 2 weeks later the soup has been upgraded to an even better taste, I can't just switch out soups.

Seriously, this always happens with products.  How far back should a refund or discount go?  Should someone who bought it 14 days ago get it, then how about 15, 20, 30, 180?  Where is the cutoff?  And this for any upgraded tech.  NOOKcolor as has been said is not an upgrade. It is a new product.  The problem is when a company is selling any piece of tech, they are thinking about what comes next and when they release something new or are about to, they are not going to just pull current product off store shelves and dump them.  They often sell at a discounted price.  NOOKcolor does cost less than what was paid for my nook classic, but more than what you paid for yours.  Maybe that's the discount.

Aside from all this, really NOOKcolor is a different device, intended for different users.  Most regular ebook users want e-ink technology because it is generally easier on the eyes, consumes less power, and does what it does quite well.  Other people see backlighting as important, want color for magazines and books with graphics and so on, but are willing to sacrifice battery charge time and eye comfort for this type of device.  You have to decide what is important to you.  And it's possible (depending on the store) that the store manager at your local BN will let you return the one you have.  You can try if you do decide you want a NOOKcolor.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

davidn wrote:

Which brings up an interesting question -- would I be able to have both registered together or will B&N just let me register one or the other?

You can have both devices registered to the same B&N account.

Contributor
chairo
0 Kudos

Nookcolor

Is it possible to turn in our present Nook for a NookColor? @pittmanh
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Nookcolor

Not unless you bought it very recently.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
ms_xxc
0 Kudos

NOOK to NOOKCOLOR?

I have a regular nook and I was wondering if there was anyway to possibly trade up to a nookcolor? Is there going to be anything like that? Or would I just have to buy a nookcolor on its own?

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* -micaela :smileywink: