Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Re: Current Nook owners purchasing the Nook Color

Here we go again . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
nedrey

DeeMarieNY wrote:

I'm quite peaved to say the least. I recently purchased my Nook wifi in Sept. I was never told that a Nook Color was soon to be released. Had I known, I would have waited. I feel that B&N should offer some type of discount aimed at recent purchasers of the regular Nook, so they could upgrade to the color version.

please read the much read and responed "No One Deserves An Upgrade" thread and see why you don't deserve one

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

nedrey wrote:

DeeMarieNY wrote:

I'm quite peaved to say the least. I recently purchased my Nook wifi in Sept. I was never told that a Nook Color was soon to be released. Had I known, I would have waited. I feel that B&N should offer some type of discount aimed at recent purchasers of the regular Nook, so they could upgrade to the color version.

please read the much read and responed "No One Deserves An Upgrade" thread and see why you don't deserve one

Amen

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
chefloo
0 Kudos

Re: NO ONE deserves an upgrade.

I agree. The Nook and the Nook Color are two different devices.I received my Nook as a gift last year for Christmas. I love it, Easy to use, easy on the eyes. The Nook Color looks more like an I-Pad from Apple.

I love what I have and I got it for FREE. The Nook color looks cool but I read books, not magazines full of ads.

I too am tired of everyone complaining about technology updates. If you don't know by now that something better will come along within a few weeks or months then you are purchasing on impulse and should have the patients to wait.

CF

Contributor
0wlfisher
0 Kudos

I agree with you, but you could have been nicer about it. :smileyindifferent: 

Frequent Contributor
polishnookguy
0 Kudos

angelica12 wrote:

I personally love my nook 3g, while i just found out that the Ncolor is out the only diappointment i feel is that maybe an upgrade via software on the original nook to make the screen color would be awesome.  i have uploaded my own pictures to my nook, and while some are awesome in b&w, the others would be best in color. however, it does not excuse the fact the the original nook is the BEST e-reader i could have hoped for. just got a software update and as i am CURRENTLY using it as i type this, the pages turn faster and the perfomance has doubled in speed as far as searching, reading, turning pages etc.  I dont think anyone should want to trade in their already aweseome e-reader, but if b&n came out with a software UPDATE to make color possible on the nook, that would be just totally awesome. i do agree however that those who feel they should be able to trade in their original for the color nook are pissing in the wind and just don't appreciate that they still have an awesome e-reader, regardless of whether it's color or not.

There is no such thing as a s/w update that can transform the current e-ink display to color.   That's hardware.   If you want that, you'll have to wait for the Mirasol or pixelQI readers that will eventually be coming out.    Personally, I like my black and white, just like a real book.   But, when a Mirasol reader does come out, I'm buying.   I just hope it will be a Nook.

Reader
Robin-M
0 Kudos

Re: i just got the old nook and a new nook comes out a month later, wtf?

KarenJG wrote:

I'm in the same boat, except for the "wtf" part - because I wouldn't swich to the color nook if they paid me! That's because I only read books on my nook - and I read a lot of books - and my eyes would sue me for cruel and unusual punishment if I switched to a back-lit display. 

I wonder if that's really true, especially with the anti-glare screen coating and easily adjustable back light.  Some folks and reviewers have said, "not so".  I have experienced eye strain reading ebooks on the various iPAQs I've had over the years.  But I wonder if I would experience that on one of the newer larger screens like the nookcolor.    

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

Re: i just got the old nook and a new nook comes out a month later, wtf?

I just wonder if the people that are upset about buying a Nook called their local B&N?? I was a little past the two week warranty when the new device was announced.  Luckily I had all my packing and the device was still in perfect condition.  B&N reserved a color unit for me. I purged my content on my Nook, put it back in the box and waited.  Now I'm both the owner of a Nook Color and my B&N brand loyalty is way up.  Think I'll go get a coffee and show off my new device.  hehe. 

Reader 4
SOjoyful
0 Kudos

Wow.

I am one on the classic owners that wishes (notice I said wishes) B&N would offer (those that would like it) some kind of a deal or trade-in options. In a previous post on a different thread I expressed that wish, and throughout the post I mentioned it was me just being greedy or whatever. So, I guess I didn't mean to upset others by wishing. I do love the NOOK I currently have and will continue to be happy with it.

I also realize that technology changes on a daily basis and that's what's to be expected in this day and age. I guess I also believe that customer loyalty and continued loyalty is valuable. Possible trade-in opportunities for loyal customers wouldn't be such a horrible thing for B&N to offer-just an idea to keep its customers happy in a very competitive market. 

New User
asprague
0 Kudos

Trade in nook for nook color?

Is there any way that Barnes and Noble would offer a trade in for a nook color from the original nook.  Apple and Gamestop offer these trade ins and I was wondering if Barnes and Noble would do the same.  Any ideas?

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: Trade in nook for nook color?

I saw where someone was actually able to trade theirs in, but I do believe it was a unique situation.

In most cases the answer is NO.

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

I read that blog.  The person who "traded" his in was returning a defective classic nook. I think it was within the 30 days to return.  The sales person asked if he wanted to added some dollar amount and get the nookcolor.  He agreed to that arrangement.

Contributor
solock
0 Kudos

My nook was from february of 2010, and it had the broken right page forward button. Since they do an actual return of the nook and the warranty to get you a replacement nook in the store (not online obviously) you might be able to convert a replacement to an upgrade. I know I did and it didnt seem to be a leap as they offered it when I just asked when they would be in, and they were so it worked out.

Reader
spikeysmurf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I traded my Nook in for a NookColor...the manager of the store told me that as long as I purchased my nook in the month of October I could do it. Luckily...it was 10/1.  I have a friend who bought hers before that and they let her exchange it. You just have to pay the difference and they do not take the covers back. Just make sure you have your receipt. :smileyhappy:

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

The official company stance is that NOOK classics purchaced within the return timeframe (14 days, 60 with a gift reciept) can be returned and put towards the price of a new NOOKcolor. After that time period you are not permitted to do so, and there is no trade-in program at this time.

Store managers can make exceptions, but given the very limited stock at this time don't expect it to be the norm.
Frequent Contributor
CMegalodon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you out of your mind?  The Nook stinks compared to the iPad.  Spend the extra bucks and get a real pad.  B&N support staff stink (if they answer the phone) and the current 1.5 release is totally underwhelming and doesn't even deliver what it says it will.

New User
MomInHeels
0 Kudos

i really like my Nook and wish that there could somehow be a "trade up/upgrade" possibility.  I was one of the first supporters of the Nook vs. Kindle. Now, I am out of luck if I want the color Nook? Would have to start all over again saving my pennies? Bummer.....

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

MomInHeels wrote:

i really like my Nook and wish that there could somehow be a "trade up/upgrade" possibility.  I was one of the first supporters of the Nook vs. Kindle. Now, I am out of luck if I want the color Nook? Would have to start all over again saving my pennies? Bummer.....

You couldn't trade up with the Kindle either unless you were in the 30 day return period. Many people asked...

Bibliophile
Jenniisme

CMegalodon wrote:

Are you out of your mind?  The Nook stinks compared to the iPad.  Spend the extra bucks and get a real pad.  B&N support staff stink (if they answer the phone) and the current 1.5 release is totally underwhelming and doesn't even deliver what it says it will.

Wanna back that up?

Ipad is an over priced multi function low rent computer.

Nook is AN E-READER.

See the difference?

New User
beijinggirl82
0 Kudos

I had issues with my month old nook in August, I wish I would have known that another version was coming out, or I would have traded it in later!  I think it sucks that there isn't some sort of trade up option. 

One thing to note/wonder about the new nook color though, one of the selling points they stressed when I bought my original nook is that it WASNT backlit, so therefore the special 'ink' or whatever they were calling it is supposedly easier on the eyes.  I doubt the nook color has a way to have that.  Though I think it would still be worth it to upgrade because not having the main screen be a touch screen is really annoying.