Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK COLOR

CLADDASH wrote:

Figures you are selling it instead of making it an upgrade ! I'm going to get an IPAD instead !

I bought the NOOK when it first same out and paid PREMIUM for it ! Since then the price has come down considerably and those of us who were the first to purchase got screwed !

I will NOT put out more money to have color that should be offered as an upgrade at a much more reasonable cost ! I am also NOT renewing my membership as I ONLY  by ebooks now and the discount via the membership card does not apply to ANYTHING NOOK !

When you bought your TV, did it get upgraded with all the new features of later model TV's by the same manufacturer?    How about your computer?    Do you get to trade it in with the manufacturer to get the latest features?   When the price of a product you bought a year ago goes down, does the manufacturer send you a rebate for the difference?

How about your car....does the manufacturer give you a trade in for it...or is that something the dealer does?

You can sell your nook and use that money towards a NOOK color.   There is nothing stopping you from doing that.   In fact, I'll tell you what...I'll give you $50 for your nook 3G today, and then go sell it on eBay for $90.    You'll have your "trade-in" and can use that $50 towards a NOOK color!   How's that for a deal?

Software updates...sure, a lot of them are free or very low cost compared to buying new.  Same iwth the nook line, the software updates are free.    But in technology, prices always come down, first adopters always pay a premium, and almost no one ever offers a trade-up    Occasionaly you'll get one when the original product is defective in design, so the manufacturer offers a trade-up to a newer design or some such.    But as a general policy, when new comes up, manufacturers don't offer trade-ins.   After all, what are THEY going to do with all the traded in product?

---------
Don
New User
SandrasEnd
0 Kudos

I bought the nook.  Then 3 weeks later the nook color was announced.  The B&N near me agreed to exchange the b&w for the color.  I paid the difference and voila i'm a nook color owner.

I'm sure that there will be another upgrade but I COULD NOT be happier!  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the nook color!  It's a little heavier than the old nook.  Instead of buying the cover from the store, I made my own out of fleece.  My homemade cover is light weight, provides protection and is water resistant.  Plus is only cost me like $3!

Inspired Correspondent
karmamule
0 Kudos

This sort of thing is a fact of life in the world of gadgets.  Other products are the same, but because they change models more slowly, and the model changes aren't talked about as much we generally don't notice it as much.

You have a couple very workable options: 

• Give the older model to a loved one or friend.  They'll appreciate what is to them a new and cool gadget, and you'll get the good feeling that comes from gifting something very useful to someone you care about
  • Sell the old model on ebay or Craigslist before getting the new one.  This in effect will give you what is usually a quite good 'discount' on your next purchase.  I managed to sell my old nook 3g/wifi on Craigslist for approximately 1/2 the price of a new nook color.  That plus the fact that I had received good use out of it up until that point seemed more than fair to me.
If you get upset at this, then you should steer clear of all electronics purchases in the future, because that's just the way it works.

Regard all phenomena as dreams.
Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

If you sell on ebay, just be aware of their 45 day return policy that ALL sellers that get paid through paypal must abide by, by default. It's hard to keep anything sold on there, especially with electronics that may be buggy or stop working at any time. Nothing like getting an email from paypal on the 44th day that the buyer has opened a claim for refund...
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Enjoy your iPad. When Apple releases an improved iPad, I will look forward to seeing you complain that Apple does not give previous buyers a discount.

Contributor
BuzNook
0 Kudos

" bought the nook.  Then 3 weeks later the nook color was announced.  The B&N near me agreed to exchange the b&w for the color.  I paid the difference and voila i'm a nook color owner."

Same here--I thought they  were very good about the whole trasaction :smileywink:

Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

The OP is ridiculous.

The end.

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Reader
GrueTamer
0 Kudos

Well I just bought color Noon yesterday and returned it today.  It seems that book bought at the Barnes and Noble website eReader.com can be read on the B&W Nook but NOT ON THE COLOR NOOK!!!!  I have over 100 books I bought at B&N's eReader.com that I won't read on the Nook.

Nookless in Chicago.

PS The B&W Nook was leas that 2 11/2 months old and B&N would not upgrade.  So after I bought the Color Nook I put my B&W Nook for sale on eBay.  If it ends up selling I'm going the Sony or iPad route.

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

Are you sure there is no way to bring in your old books?  Have you tried the free "Adobe Digital Editions"?  I use this for my nook and now nook color to bring it ebooks I had purchased from other ebook distributors.

If you can give me a link to a specific book you had, I'll be glad to download one and try to load it on my Nook Color via ADE.

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

Open Suggestion to B&N

I really liked my Nook, I love my Nook Color.  First of all, not everyone that has a Nook wants a nook color, e-ink definitely fits a market.    But for all of those poor souls who are upset they can't "upgrade" to the Nook color, here's my idea.

Offer existing Nook owners $100 trade in allowance on a Nook to Nook Color. One condition, is has to be a working unit including power and cable.   Then, take all those Nooks and donate them to schools and libraries to help increase the adoption of Nook as a library and education tool.

If B&N can't financially trade in all Nooks to Nook Color, then make it a one day event.  Say, Dec 15.  All Nooks brought in this one day only will get $100 towards nook color, and all units will be donated to schools and libraries.  

I'll put my time where my mouth is, if B&N is willing to do this, as a Nook lover I'll donate my time to man a table at my local B&N for one day to help owners make the upgrade, wipe their old nook, and transfer their membership to their new color nook.

Could make for some good press too!  My only concern, are their enough Nook Colors in the pipeline to support this and the Christmas demand?

New User
zackorsborn
0 Kudos

Upgrade to nook color?

Is there some kind of upgrade program for users who already have a regular nook? I just got it recently, and I think we should have the option to upgrade to nook color.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Re: Upgrade to nook color?

Don't see that happening.   

Frequent Contributor
bic101

Yikes. Who would want to upgrade? To me it's a downgrade: do you really want to read off an LCD screen instead of e-ink? This is just yet another 7" tablet, not an e-reader. A mini-iPad. No thanks B&N.

Inspired Contributor
Harrkev

There are two upgrade methods.  One is called "Craigslist" and the other is "eBay."

Depending upon your relatives, "regifting" might also be an option since Christmas is right around the corner.

New User
Ptbellisle
0 Kudos

I think that I would want to have an upgrade option as well, but reading on LCD instead of e-ink would need to be tested first.

pb-

Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

zackorsborn wrote:

Is there some kind of upgrade program for users who already have a regular nook? I just got it recently, and I think we should have the option to upgrade to nook color.

I was thinking the same thing.  NookColor looks like something I wouldn't mind trying.  I just recently got my Nook as a gift and have the gift receipt.  I think I may try to take the classic Nook back.  IDK, I'm still deciding.

Contributor
Nook_DIVAAJ
0 Kudos

I agree, i also recieved my classic as a gift and would like to upgrade to the new one or even upgrade the software on the classic to get new features. I understand that it won't be color but would like some of the perks.....i.e being able to read documents.....

Reading is Fundamental
Reader 2
BookgirlRoz
0 Kudos

I read a lot on my ipod touch and after some time the back light gave me headaches.  I like the ink reading, but I do have to keep my book light all the time.  I like the color, but I want to know about the l.5 upgrade first.  My nook does every thing well, the web needs some work.  I would love the pandora music on my nook that I have now.  

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

bic101 wrote:

Yikes. Who would want to upgrade? To me it's a downgrade: do you really want to read off an LCD screen instead of e-ink? This is just yet another 7" tablet, not an e-reader. A mini-iPad. No thanks B&N.

Yes, and both Samsung and BlackBerry are coming out with far better 7" tablets.  Epic Fail.

Frequent Contributor
CalicoPete
0 Kudos

I am happy with black and white. If I really need to see a certain book in color, I will buy or borrow it. It would be nice for magazines though. In reference to testing the lcd readability, use your e-readersoftware on your laptop, ipod touch/iphone/ipad, or other mobile device and there you go. I don't believe it would be much different.
Oh and eh, ARRR!!!