Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Villainess1
0 Kudos

Re: Certified Pre-Owned Nooks

Where are they getting the pre-owned ones then, if not from customers selling them back to B&N?

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798
0 Kudos

From people that returned them within the 14 day return policy.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Villainess1 wrote:

that stinks!  Mine is only a month old.  If I had known a new color one was in the works, I would have waited to buy it.

NOOKcolor was announced October 26. Which is a month ago. Since you bought your NOOK "only a month" ago, you could have returned it within the 14-day return window.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

Villainess1 wrote:

that stinks!  Mine is only a month old.  If I had known a new color one was in the works, I would have waited to buy it.

Will it never end . . . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
Villainess1
0 Kudos

never heard the announcement for the color nook until now.

Contributor
sewimust
0 Kudos

I just got mine in September but I wouldn't trade it. I just wanted it for reading and you just can't beat the Nook for that.

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

gandalf1369 wrote:

Villainess1 wrote:

Will it never end . . . . .

I know, right?

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Call the store and talk to the manager.  Some stores appear to have some very liberal return policies and are taking back Nooks recently purchased and letting the customer upgrade.  

It's worth a call.

Contributor
ragdollmomof2
0 Kudos

I got my Nook in late August, and although I dearly love it, I wish I could trade it in on a NookColor.

Frequent Contributor
yahma
0 Kudos

Ebay has certified pre-owned/reconditioned NOOKs with a one year warranty directly from B&N. Wifi/3G for $119 and Wifi for $99. I just bought my husband one for Christmas (ssshhh!!)because I can't give mine up long enough for him to read a book!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Villainess1 wrote:

I wish they had not called the NookColor what they did because it makes everything confusing and people think it is a color version of the current Nook. It is not.

I don't know what they will call the Nook when color Eink becomes available because THAT will be the color version of the current Nook.

The NookColor is an ereader with color LCD screen, but it's not a color version of the original Nook. That hasn't been made yet. Now if the NookColor had been a color EInk screen, I would be upset as you are. As is, I am saving my money and waiting for the NOOK with color Eink! THAT will be excitement. And then of course, all the NookColor owners will be whining that they didn't wait.

Honestly though, they are 2 different devices. The NookColor is NOT an upgrade of the Nook, but a completely different device geared to a different consumer. If you bought your Nook to read books with, then you have the one you want.

THe NookColor is a very cool device. It's flashy too. Very tempting. But I'm not sure I would get enough use out of it to justify the price when I would continue to use my Nook to read ebooks rather than the NookColor. Nor would I be willing to TRADE my Nook for a NookColor because the Nook and I have been very happy companions for the past year.

Also, consider this...if you really want a NookColor, wait...the price will come down and once the color EInk version of Nook comes out, you may be happy you waited.

I

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

If you bought your Nook to read books with, then you have the one you want.

Precisely.

If you offered me the Nook and the NookColor for the exact same price, I would buy the Nook.

If you want something to read comic books, or to act as an iPad lite, then buy the NookColor. If you want an electronic substitute for books, get the Nook.

Inspired Contributor
dino_v

Hey Guys,

Is this where I find out where to trade in my NOOK for a NOOKColor? Awesome!

Yes, I don't know why I bought an e-reader when plainly I am unable to read!

:smileyhappy:

--
dino
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Whiners are prolific posters. This thread is at 15 pages already.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
CLADDASH
0 Kudos

The complaints only show me how dissatisfied Barnes & Noble customers are with the way there products are handled !

I am dissatisfied too but for my part it hinges on the Barnes & Noble membership and the lack of discounts being attached to Nook products.

I have decided not to renew my membership since I'm no longer able to use it.

I had been a member for over 10 years ~

Since I only used it to purchase books and no discounts are given on Nook or any Nook related products ~ I no longer have any reason to maintain a membership ~

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CLADDASH wrote:

The complaints only show me how dissatisfied Barnes & Noble customers are with the way there products are handled !

I am dissatisfied too but for my part it hinges on the Barnes & Noble membership and the lack of discounts being attached to Nook products.

I have decided not to renew my membership since I'm no longer able to use it.

I had been a member for over 10 years ~

Since I only used it to purchase books and no discounts are given on Nook or any Nook related products ~ I no longer have any reason to maintain a membership ~

I don't think it's limited to just B&N customers.  Weightwatchers just announced a new program.  The old calculators won't work with the new plan.  Keep in mind this is the first time in over 10 years that the plan changed so significantly that the older calculators wouldn't work with the plan.  There are folks over there complaining about their investment in the old calculators which won't work and is WW going to offer some type of trade in program.  And BTW, most of those calculators cost about $10.  So apparently this attitude is not unique to B&N.

B&N return policy is 14 days for a refund and 30 days for in store credit.  So anyone who bought a Nook within the last 30 days could probably take it back and get the NookColor if they so desired.

Frequent Contributor
rfbarr
0 Kudos

I will say one thing.  I bought an apple computer once.  It was a day or two after 30 day return thing or what ever.  They came out with the upgraded version (nice upgrade too). 

I was able to return the old mac and get the new one.  NO EXTRA COST.  I got a pretty good deal out of it all.  Needless to say now I go around mentioning this. 

So sure the people don't deserve it, they had bad timing.  Sometimes though offering them a break because of their bad timing can help your company reputation wise in the long run.

Reader
Nomad2172
0 Kudos

Re: NO ONE deserves an upgrade.

I am completely happy with my nook and have no desire or interest at this time in the nook color. I must confess that I am surprised that many of you don’t understand that it is this very attitude that has established the current tech buying world as you put it. The consumer ultimately determines the business relationship. I have been watching this thread now for several months now and have been somewhat surprised but more disappointed by the position that 50-60% of the responses have been. My disappointment is more with the current declining young consumer values and that the percentage is as high as it is and maybe even growing. Those that believe that B&N shouldn't offer a trade-in, upgrade, incentive, or don't understand what logic could be used that could justify B&N instituting a customer loyalty program, simple do not understand the concepts that most great businesses utilize. Customer loyalty and satisfaction is what allows a business to grow to greatness.  I can only assume that the majority of those people that have taken this position are probably under 35 and have grown up in this new throwaway society where business has sacrificed customer and employee loyalty for the quick buck. Any really successful business that hopes to grow, must always ensure they maintain customer retention with their current customers while developing new programs and product offerings to pull in new customers. One without the other will fizzle out in a very short time and usually that company will go under, primarily due to loss of market share. I have seen a few threads where the person attempting to justify that B&N shouldn’t allow upgrades state, "do the math" and then don't follow through. So let’s do the math. I bought a nook 3G last December for $250.00. So over the course of launching the Wi-Fi only model and the color nook they still only have my original $250.00. Now if B&N instituted a trade-in/upgrade/Incentive program and gave me the option to acquire a nook color at a 30% profit margin lets say at $100.00 and then reconditioned the older nook for resale, let’s look at what that would give them. First Nook $250.00 + Upgrade to color cost $100.00 + resale of reconditioned 3G nook $150.00 = $500.00. They have essentially doubled their profits. This is a win/win scenario. Now they have maintained customer loyalty and retention which result in increased spending of those loyal customers. They have also launched a new program where now they will get new customers that can buy reconditioned 3G nooks at a cheaper price then new. Having multiple product options with valued costing will significantly increase the B&N customer base and probably put a significant dent the Kindle market share. My biggest surprise is why B&N hasn’t done it already.

Contributor
Starlexia
0 Kudos

I am a little surprised to see how angry people are getting because people want to trade their nooks for nookcolors. We all understand that the technology world is always growing and yes once you buy something a new something comes out that is better. there is nothing wrong with people wanting to trade it in. I assume that the ones who want to do this know that they should not expect full price trade in unless within the 14-day period. GameStop offers all sorts of trade-ins. I traded in my DS for a DS lite. I understood that I would not be getting full price for my older DS and happily paid the difference for the DS lite. So why is it so wrong for people to ask if there is a trade-in available for the nooks? I have the original nook and do not want a nook color, but I myself was curious to see if they offered any kind of discount for trading in the older one. Nothing wrong with that.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

Starlexia wrote:

I am a little surprised to see how angry people are getting because people want to trade their nooks for nookcolors. We all understand that the technology world is always growing and yes once you buy something a new something comes out that is better. there is nothing wrong with people wanting to trade it in. I assume that the ones who want to do this know that they should not expect full price trade in unless within the 14-day period. GameStop offers all sorts of trade-ins. I traded in my DS for a DS lite. I understood that I would not be getting full price for my older DS and happily paid the difference for the DS lite. So why is it so wrong for people to ask if there is a trade-in available for the nooks? I have the original nook and do not want a nook color, but I myself was curious to see if they offered any kind of discount for trading in the older one. Nothing wrong with that.

BUT, the NookColor is not an upgrade to the nook, it is a different product that offers some similar features.  To me, kind of like people saying they bought a Mac laptop and should be able to trade "up" to an iPad.