Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Upgrade?

Ya_Ya wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

This time we can tell them that NOOK 2nd Edition is not an upgrade, but an economy model instead: No 3G, no browser, no games, no color covers on the touch screen, etc.

I disagree.  Other than the removal of 3G all of those things are upgrades, assuming some method to accept Wifi terms for shopping is implemented.

No mp3 player ensures better battery life - for reading.

Games had nothing to do with readfing, wasted resources and real estate.

Color covers were nice but didn't add to the reading experience.

New NOOK has:

• better contrast
  • much better battery life
  • a far more user-friendly dictionary
  • a more organized shopping experience - based on the videos I've seen

I don't think it's a "basic economy model" at all.  I think it is intended to be a serious reader's ereader.  Nothing more, nothing less.  It's not in any way trying to be anything but a d@&n good reading experience - all of its features seem geared to reading, choosing better books, reading reviews by friends, recommending books to friends, etc...  All of which is reading-centric.

Other than form factor (and their making it more difficult to make impulse purchases if there's no provision for accepting TOS on public Wifi) it's exactly what I hoped my NOOK Wifi would be when I got one as a gift in September.  I had expected to keep NOOK Wifi for four or five years, but I may buy the new one and pass on the one I have to someone who wants non-reading related crap on their ereader.

Let me first say that I agree with you, all those other features are pretty worthless.

I used the browser once to check it out - and never wanted to use it again.

I loaded music on my NOOK once to check it out - and never even finished listening to one song on the NOOK (G.T.O - Ronny and the Daytonas BTW).

I played Soduku more than once, but prefer playing it on my phone.

I DO use the 3G frequently to download content - but not for shopping, I do that on my computer.

I unregistered and re-registered my NOOK a few months back to change the email address on my account, I didn't bother re-downloading my entire library of over 300 books since I know with the 3G coverage in my area I'll be able to download any book I want to read anywhere.

When my NOOK eventually dies and I replace it with a model that has no 3G, I will miss that feature.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Upgrade?

LarryOnLI wrote:

I DO use the 3G frequently to download content - but not for shopping, I do that on my computer.

I unregistered and re-registered my NOOK a few months back to change the email address on my account, I didn't bother re-downloading my entire library of over 300 books since I know with the 3G coverage in my area I'll be able to download any book I want to read anywhere.

When my NOOK eventually dies and I replace it with a model that has no 3G, I will miss that feature.

I don't have a NOOK 3G, I received a NOOK Wifi as a gift, but I can absolutely see where someone would see the removal of a 3G option as a downgrade.  It is.  

Otherwise, I think they made a far better second generation EREADER than they did with the first generation...

New User
aro988
0 Kudos

Re: Trade ups...

I get that people shouldnt just expect trade-ups; but Barnes and noble shouldnt promise things that they can't deliver. I spent the whole day on the phone with customer service asking about  a trade up program because a friend told me about one and two separate representatives told me that there is one but when I called the store to reserve a new nook 2 I was told that there is NO trade up program. It is not right to tell your loyal customers who were apart of the first order of nooks lies. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

aro988 wrote:

I get that people shouldnt just expect trade-ups; but Barnes and noble shouldnt promise things that they can't deliver. I spent the whole day on the phone with customer service asking about  a trade up program because a friend told me about one and two separate representatives told me that there is one but when I called the store to reserve a new nook 2 I was told that there is NO trade up program. It is not right to tell your loyal customers who were apart of the first order of nooks lies

Perhaps they were misinformed, maybe someone else gave them that information, but to say they are lying implies that they are purposely giving you incorrect information.  I doubt they are purposely giving out false information because there's no point to it.  They don't gain anything and eventually, the correct information will be known.  I would love to live in the world where everyone knows everything and is never misinformed.

Contributor
ShellTX
0 Kudos

Sounds like a little bit of "whining" to me.  To each his own. 

New User
LoriCamp
0 Kudos

Upgrading to nook Color

In July of 2011, my old nook wi-fi 3G kept freezing.  It was less than a year old.  Tried calling the customer service number and ended up so frustrated that I told the rep "Oh, just forget it! You guys can never fix the probelm."  Took the reader to the local B&N and the young man in the store was very helpful.  He took my reader and went in to the back (of the store).  When he came back he said he tried operating my unit with a different battery and it worked fine.  When he was handing it back to me it started to do the same thing it did prior to bringing it in.  Mentioned that I was wanting to upgrade to the color and he said that B&N had a new program that takes back the older ones.  To make a long story short, I traded my 3G wi-fi nook in and received (almost) the total that I had payed for it along with the refund for the remaining 2 years on my 3 year warranty.  To say I walked out of the store with a NEW nook color with warranty, screen protector, and case for under $100 (additional dollars) was well worth it!  Looking to upgrade to the new Nook Color Tablet within the next few months.  

So in my opinion, it is worth the upgrade.