Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Anthony1970

NO ONE deserves an upgrade.

[ Edited ]

For those complaining about just buying their NOOKS a few ago and feeling screwed about NOOKcolor. What did you expect???? Did you actually think your device was the only one there was going to be??? Its been out a year now. If you just purchased it recently you got if for a much better price than those who purchased it late last year and early this year. Its a good product. You shgould be happy.

BN owes you nothing and I HOPE  they dont cater to this sense of entitlement some of you are demonstrating. You bought a product that has been out almost a year for a good price. This is how the tech buying world is. So enjoy your NOOKS, which are excellent e-readers and stop whining.

If you dont want it Im sure many of us will give you guys half of what you paid for it. lol

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

Re: NO ONE deserves an upgrade.

Bravo Anthony!!!!!!!   All the posts here about people pissing and moaning about somehow getting a break on a c-nok just because they recently bought an "old" nook are really getting on my nerves.    If they want a c-nook, then they should go out and buy one for 250 bucks.   

And.........they should also stop thinking that the c-nook is such an amazing device that they should immediately go out and buy it, and dump their old nooks.    The reviews so far are NOT that great, and an LCD e reader is NOT an e reader.

Correspondent
Anthony1970

Yes. The sense of entitlement is getting annoying.lol I for one hope that B&N turns down each and everyone of these people. They dont deserve any credit or returns whatsoever. Now if it was purchased within the last 14 days go for it. But anything beyond that tough noggies.

Contributor
vagabondFL

WOW - what hateful people.  Don't you have anything better to do than trash someone who is regretting that they bought a Nook a week or so ago without knowing there would be a new one out.  And I'm not one of them, by the way.  I haven't complained about anything, but it escapes me why people have to be so hateful for no good reason.

Contributor
JWWitness-III

I agree. It is much like buying a brand new car and complaining that there is a new on next year. I don't hear many complaints about that. Or the new years washer and dryer models, stove, fridge, tv, tires, too much to really list here. The fact is that a big percentage of what we buy has a new model the next year.
New User
mysteryfan11

Thank you!!! I am one who just bought exactly 2 weeks ago, if i would have been given the option to pay just the 40.00 difference for color, i would have. An upgrade should be made at a minimal fee.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

Yes, we do Deserve and upgrade.  Software upgrades.

The ability to obtain upgrades is why I ordered the nook on the first day of availability.  Because it was Android, because B&N made early commitments about upgrades, even documenting them in their FCC submittal.

I could have gone the safe route, and bought a Kindle.  I didn't because I expected any Android device to be easily upgraded.  Its why B&N chose Android in the first place.

This whole "You got what you paid for, now shut up and be quiet" mentality is spawn of Steve Jobs, relentlessly crammed down your throat on the Apple boards, and a perfect example of a consumer shilling for a company contrary to their own best interest.

We are not talking about a hammer here people.  Its a specialized computer, which have historically been improved and enhanced over time with new software.  It was a computer the day we bought it.  It was understood that it would improve.  If we wanted something that would never improve we would be buying dead tree books.

We are continuing customers.  We buy books. We deserve attention.  

And yes, we deserve upgrades.

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL

Vagabond their posts didn't seem hateful to me. Nookcolor is not an upgrade, so I also don't get the whining and sense of entitlement.

If someone became suddenly unhappy with their Nook and they purchased it "a week or so ago", like you mentioned, then they should return it. Why they expect something from B&N other than accept their return is beyond me.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Yes, we do Deserve and upgrade.  Software upgrades.

The ability to obtain upgrades is why I ordered the nook on the first day of availability.  Because it was Android, because B&N made early commitments about upgrades, even documenting them in their FCC submittal.

I could have gone the safe route, and bought a Kindle.  I didn't because I expected any Android device to be easily upgraded.  Its why B&N chose Android in the first place.

This whole "You got what you paid for, now shut up and be quiet" mentality is spawn of Steve Jobs, relentlessly crammed down your throat on the Apple boards, and a perfect example of a consumer shilling for a company contrary to their own best interest.

We are not talking about a hammer here people.  Its a specialized computer, which have historically been improved and enhanced over time.  It was a computer the day we bought it.  It was understood that it would improve.  If we wanted something that would never improve we would be buying dead tree books.

We are continuing customers.  We buy books. We deserve attention.  

And yes, we deserve upgrades.

We are not talking about a software upgrade. Reread the opening post. There are people who think they deserve to exchange their NOOKS for a NookColor.

Correspondent
Anthony1970

vagabondFL wrote:

WOW - what hateful people.  Don't you have anything better to do than trash someone who is regretting that they bought a Nook a week or so ago without knowing there would be a new one out.  And I'm not one of them, by the way.  I haven't complained about anything, but it escapes me why people have to be so hateful for no good reason.

Hateful??? You need to go and read the posts of the people im talking about. They are exhibiting much hatred towards B&N. If anything we are not being hateful but truthful. Someone who purchased a NOOK more than 2 weeks ago, do not deserve to return them for a money back gurantee or for credit towards a NOOKcolor.B&N needs to make money not give stuff away.

Contributor
vagabondFL
0 Kudos

What position do you hold at B&N?

Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux

vagabondFL wrote:

What position do you hold at B&N?

Customer.

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.
Contributor
bebejasy8881

In answer to your comment. maybe Im ingnorant. but honestly I got my nook (wifi,G3) 5 months ago and honestly I didn't know that there was going to be a new one coming out this month. Im not looking to be given any kind of special treatment. I just wish I would have known. I definitely could've waited. I will take your suggestion though, I'll try and sell it for at least half of what I paid and get the new one.

Contributor
vagabondFL
0 Kudos

I was actually asking Anthony, who seems to be everywhere on the board dissing people who wished they would have known about a different product coming out within weeks of buying one.  But thanks for sharing you're a customer - it was information I really wanted.  LOL

Contributor
MamaDragon3

Since when do customers get upgrades?  I mean, if you'd gone out and bought a computer, and the next month a newer, better one came out, you would not be able to take the computer back and upgrade it, right?  Neither can you do this with a TV, a car, or any other things that are constantly coming out with new models.  I'm new here, but I don't understand the mentality of feeling any NOOK customer DESERVES an upgrade.  That's like saying you deserve an upgrade from Honda because they came out with a new car model. 

Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

vagabondFL wrote:

I was actually asking Anthony, who seems to be everywhere on the board dissing people who wished they would have known about a different product coming out within weeks of buying one.  But thanks for sharing you're a customer - it was information I really wanted.  LOL

Sorry.  I just couldn't resist.  I felt the urge to be inappropriately ridiculous within such a serious thread. :smileyhappy:

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc." We gladly feast on those who would subdue us. Not just pretty words.
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

vagabondFL wrote:

LOL. Just a consumer who hates it when people get whiny. I have never bought a piece of technology in my life and complained later when a new version comes out. I expect the general consumer to act the same way. Again the information about a new NOOK has been talked to death around here and elsewhere for months. If some people do not do research before they purchase a product that is their fault. With todays internet their is no excuse for not knowing about such things. A quick google on any product you purchase will give you ample information on it and if there will be new product forthcoming. Im not dissing people in the way you suggest. I am being honest and if you think it is mean of me, dont read them.

People who purchase tech gadgets should know better, especially if you are an adult.

Inspired Correspondent
B_Lux
0 Kudos

bebejasy8881 wrote:

In answer to your comment. maybe Im ingnorant. but honestly I got my nook (wifi,G3) 5 months ago and honestly I didn't know that there was going to be a new one coming out this month. Im not looking to be given any kind of special treatment. I just wish I would have known. I definitely could've waited. I will take your suggestion though, I'll try and sell it for at least half of what I paid and get the new one.

I don't think that there are a lot of places that are going to give you a five month warning that something new is on the horizon.  If they did that then their original Nook sales would probably dry up some while everyone waited on the C-Nook.

I still think you have a great machine: 3G, e-paper, big library <insert your own reason why you like your nook here>.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

B_Lux wrote:

bebejasy8881 wrote:

I don't think that there are a lot of places that are going to give you a five month warning that something new is on the horizon.  If they did that then their original Nook sales would probably dry up some while everyone waited on the C-Nook.

I still think you have a great machine: 3G, e-paper, big library <insert your own reason why you like your nook here>.

Agreed. Most adult consumers should know by now that technology is always on the move. Cells phones and computers are the same way. New versions can come out 6 months to a year after the previous release. A good example is the Casio Rock cell phone. It came out earlier this year and has already been replaced with the Casio Ravine.

BeBE: I think it would be foolish for you to give up your Nook for half of what you paid. This new NOOKColor will offer nothin that the current one can do in regards to reading novels or paperbacks. Are you going to regret buying a Nookcolor once a newer version comes out next year also?????

New User
angelica12
0 Kudos

I personally love my nook 3g, while i just found out that the Ncolor is out the only diappointment i feel is that maybe an upgrade via software on the original nook to make the screen color would be awesome.  i have uploaded my own pictures to my nook, and while some are awesome in b&w, the others would be best in color. however, it does not excuse the fact the the original nook is the BEST e-reader i could have hoped for. just got a software update and as i am CURRENTLY using it as i type this, the pages turn faster and the perfomance has doubled in speed as far as searching, reading, turning pages etc.  I dont think anyone should want to trade in their already aweseome e-reader, but if b&n came out with a software UPDATE to make color possible on the nook, that would be just totally awesome. i do agree however that those who feel they should be able to trade in their original for the color nook are pissing in the wind and just don't appreciate that they still have an awesome e-reader, regardless of whether it's color or not.